• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why are we separating DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we attempting to separate DC into parts when the verse treats itself as one cosmology? I get that there’s a few inconsistencies but I don’t see why that’s a reason to pick a part the verse and use headcanon to create “separate cosmologies” that don’t actually exist.

Just really looking to understand the points here.

I wouldn't say there are a few inconsistencies, way too many, in fact. For example, Gaiman and Morrison doesn't use the same cosmology at all. It's vastly different from one another. And when you merge them together, you are left with pretty unrealistic and confusing scaling.

I wouldn't say there are a few inconsistencies, way too many, in fact. For example, Gaiman and Morrison doesn't use the same cosmology at all. It's vastly different from one another. And when you merge them together, you are left with pretty unrealistic and confusing scaling.
I see people say there’s “too many inconsistencies” a lot however I’ve never seen a lot of evidence for these many inconsistencies. The only example I’ve ever seen was about how Dematteis treats every character as piece of God, dreaming the universe into existence. Which doesn’t doesn’t prove Dematteis has created his own personal cosmology at all. The only thing this creates is scaling issues which can easily be justified as amps. Since it’s characters accessing power they regularly cannot via their connection to God.

What makes DC’s cosmology different when Gaiman is writing vs Morrison? I’m asking because I’ve never actually seen any evidence for this.

Just out of curiosity since I know your knowledgeable on DC. What is your stance on this?
I won't lie, DC comics have some inconsistencies but very few and hardly contradicts anything when we think things through. But this wiki has some kind of beef with comic book franchises especially DC and marvel so I don't think I'm gonna say much.

I see people say there’s “too many inconsistencies” a lot however I’ve never seen a lot of evidence for these many inconsistencies.
Then you really just aren't following DC. Gaiman's concept of "Father Time" and "Mother Night" is completely absent in Morrison or Snyder's take on the cosmology. Overvoid is only portrayed as a sentient living being in Morrison's books. Pralaya is completely absent in all non DeMatteis books. Hypertime in any non-Morrison book is essentially just time, but in Morrison books it's far more convoluted an idea. The 5th Dimension varies vastly amongst different authors, etc. etc.

All of these differences will be fully outlined when the revisions are finished, but it's arguing in bad faith and simply intellectual dishonesty to play dumb and pretend you don't know why the cosmologies are being separated. If you disagree with it, that's one thing, but saying "there's a few inconsistencies" is a tremendous understatement and anyone who reads DC with any regularity knows that.

Then you really just aren't following DC. Gaiman's concept of "Father Time" and "Mother Night" is completely absent in Morrison or Snyder's take on the cosmology. Overvoid is only portrayed as a sentient living being in Morrison's books. Pralaya is completely absent in all non DeMatteis books. Hypertime in any non-Morrison book is essentially just time, but in Morrison books it's far more convoluted an idea. The 5th Dimension varies vastly amongst different authors, etc. etc.

All of these differences will be fully outlined when the revisions are finished, but it's arguing in bad faith and simply intellectual dishonesty to play dumb and pretend you don't know why the cosmologies are being separated. If you disagree with it, that's one thing, but saying "there's a few inconsistencies" is a tremendous understatement and anyone who reads DC with any regularity knows that.

Amazing you have a lot of knowledge about Dc.

Writers not writing about other writers characters doesn't conclude that DC has created separate cosmologies between writers. It's ridiculous to try and say "Morrison never wrote about Pralaya so Pralaya must be non canon to all of Morrisons works." There's hundreds of characters in DC. No writer is going to be able to write about every character. And expecting them to is absurd.

The Hypertime thing is just Morrison getting abstract with it and describing it from our perspective. Once again doesn't prove DC has created separate cosmologies.

The fifth dimension was literally considered imagination before Snyder even did anything with it. Notice how this once again doesn't prove DC has created separate cosmologies.

No one's being intellectually dishonest or "playing dumb" so I don't know why you're accusing me of that. Especially when you didn't even point out anything that justifies DC being separated. the only one who's ever played dumb or was being intellectually dishonest was you when you created a thread trying to upgrade Rick and Morty to tier 0 because of meta nonsense.

Writers not writing about other writers characters doesn't conclude that DC has created separate cosmologies between writers.
No one said DC created separate cosmologies.
It's ridiculous to try and say "Morrison never wrote about Pralaya so Pralaya must be non canon to all of Morrisons works."
No one said that.

And expecting them to is absurd.
No one is expecting them to.

The Hypertime thing is just Morrison getting abstract with it and describing it from our perspective
You're just repeating what I said. Morrison's Hypertime is vastly different from any other portrayal.

Once again doesn't prove DC has created separate cosmologies.
Never said it did.

I never claimed it wasn't.

Notice how this once again doesn't prove DC has created separate cosmologies.
Notice how, once again, no one said that.

No one's being intellectually dishonest or "playing dumb" so I don't know why you're accusing me of that.
You certainly are, the entire post is purposefully incendiary bait followed by a bunch of pointless bumps. If you're pretending you don't understand why the cosmologies are being separate, you're arguing from an intellectually dishonest position. You can continue to play coy, but that's a game you'll play by yourself.

This has been a long series of strawmen. If you have to pretend your opponent said a dozen things they never said in order to form a coherent argument, then perhaps your viewpoint needs reconsidering. No one ever said DC created multiple cosmologies, nor were any of the inconsistencies I brought up presented as "proof" of that notion, nor was it ever said that characters not being mentioned means they don't exist. Once again, it's just strawmen and intellectual dishonesty, and a clear waste of everyone's time. Anyways, the knowledgeable DC members of this forum are contributing to the revisions based on what's actually in the comics and the inconsistencies between various writers and versions of the cosmology. The changes are too far-reaching to cover in a single thread, so you can offer your opinion on them when they're published.

Yes people have. And If you're not addressing the main question in the post then you're clearly wasting my time trying to argue by beating around the bush.

You're just repeating what I said. Morrison's Hypertime is vastly different from any other portrayal.
Actually I'm not because I don't think Morrison including our perspective when describing Hypertime fundamentally changes what it is.

You certainly are, the entire post is purposefully incendiary bait followed by a bunch of pointless bumps. If you're pretending you don't understand why the cosmologies are being separate, you're arguing from an intellectually dishonest position. You can continue to play coy, but that's a game you'll play by yourself.
Nope. This post is simply me looking to have a calm discussion on a topic in pertains to DC and it's cosmology. No one's pretending to do anything. If you want to fling around accusations you can do that somewhere else.

Once again, it's just strawmen and intellectual dishonesty, and a clear waste of everyone's time. Anyways, the knowledgeable DC members of this forum are contributing to the revisions based on what's actually in the comics and the inconsistencies between various writers and versions of the cosmology. The changes are too far-reaching to cover in a single thread, so you can offer your opinion on them when they're published.
Stop trying to backseat moderate. I'll offer my opinion on something whenever I want.

And If you're not addressing the main question in the post then you're clearly wasting my time
The question was already answered by Confluctor. I was addressing the notion that "you don't understand" why it's being separated, when you do.

Actually I'm not because I don't think Morrison including our perspective when describing Hypertime fundamentally changes what it is.
It doesn't, sure, but describing it as multi-dimensional time does, when it's elsewise never presented that way.

This post is simply me looking to have a calm discussion on a topic
More dishonesty. It starts with downplaying the inconsistencies in DC which is known to be one of the most inconsistent verses, accuses the people advocating for it as using "headcanon" and etc. It was in bad faith from the start, because you're just looking to have an argument.

Stop trying to backseat moderate.
I'm not moderating in any way. The content of the revision simply isn't available to you, so any of your potential criticisms are conjecture.

. I'll offer my opinion on something whenever I want.
You're offering your opinion on something you haven't seen and self-admittedly don't understand, and then bumped it over and over again even after you'd received a response.

I said in the post that "I don't see why it's a reason to separate the cosmology." As in I understand why it's being separated but I don't understand why the reasons are valid.
It doesn't, sure, but describing it as multi-dimensional time does, when it's elsewise never presented that way.
Just because other writers didn't re-mention a certain characteristic about (insert thing) doesn't mean we assume (insert thing) has been changed or is fundamentally different.

More dishonesty. It starts with downplaying the inconsistencies in DC which is known to be one of the most inconsistent verses, accuses the people advocating for it as using "headcanon" and etc. It was in bad faith from the start, because you're just looking to have an argument.
Once again, if you want to fling accusations around you can do it elsewhere. I already said that I'm just trying to have a calm discussion while being able to understand the points people are making.

I'm not moderating in any way. The content of the revision simply isn't available to you, so any of your potential criticisms are conjecture.
I'm not trying to criticize the revision though. I don't even know what the revision says so it's basically impossible for me to do that. I'm simply trying to understand why people want to separate DC's cosmology.

Last edited:
Just because other writers didn't re-mention a certain characteristic about (insert thing) doesn't mean we assume (insert thing) has been changed or is fundamentally different.
Are you ever going to stop with the strawman?

Once again, if you want to fling accusations around you can do it elsewhere.
What was that about backseat moderation?

I already said that I'm just trying to have a calm discussion
Actions speak louder than words.

I'm not trying to criticize the revision though.
The revision is separating the cosmologies by author, which is indeed what you're criticizing.

I'm simply trying to understand why people want to separate DC's cosmology.
Refer to Confluctor's answer that you received days ago.

Are you ever going to stop with the strawman?
This isn't a strawman.
Actions speak louder than words.
I don’t owe you any actions.

The revision is separating the cosmologies by author, which is indeed what you're criticizing.
Ok. That still doesn't mean I'm literally criticizing the content of the revision or anything like that.

Refer to Confluctor's answer that you received days ago.
His answer didn't satisfy me.

This isn't a strawman.
It is, no one said we should assume something has been changed or is fundamentally different under those circumstances.

I don’t owe you any actions.
You completely missed the point.

That still doesn't mean I'm literally criticizing the content of the revision or anything like that.
I never said you were criticizing the content.

His answer didn't satisfy me.
Yet that is indeed the answer. Confluctor is right, merging the cosmologies creates unrealistic and confusing scaling. You end up with WCP-esque levels of nonsense in terms of scaling across decades of unrelated continuity without regard for context. Just because it's theoretically possible to mash the cosmologies together, doesn't mean that's the best or most accurate answer.

Last edited:
It is, no one said we should assume something has been changed or is fundamentally different under those circumstances.
Yes you did. You literally tried to say that describing it as a "multi-dimensional time does, when it's elsewise never presented that way." And I said that just because other writers didn't re-mention that characteristic about it being a multi-dimensional time, doesn't mean it's been fundamentally changed.

You completely missed the point.
No I didn't. I understand the point completely. It's just I don't care if you think actions would speak louder than words.

I never said you were criticizing the content.
You implied it when you said this.

"The content of the revision simply isn't available to you, so any of your potential criticisms are conjecture."

Yet that is indeed the answer. Confluctor is right, merging the cosmologies creates unrealistic and confusing scaling. You end up with WCP-esque levels of nonsense in terms of scaling across decades of unrelated continuity without regard for context. Just because it's theoretically possible to mash the cosmologies together, doesn't mean that's the best or most accurate answer.
DC hasn't created separate cosmologies between each writer. DC treats itself as one cosmology that has just gone through multiple reboots.

You literally tried to say that describing it as a "multi-dimensional time does, when it's elsewise never presented that way."
Because that is the truth, the way Morrison uses it is not reflected by any other author. I never drew the conclusion you imagined I did.

It's just I don't care if you think actions would speak louder than words.
You have fundamentally misunderstood my point. I wasn't referring to hypothetical future actions.

You implied it when you said this.
"Potential"

DC hasn't created separate cosmologies between each writer.
No one said this.

DC treats itself as one cosmology that has just gone through multiple reboots.
Yes, obviously. However, even between reboots different authors have had wildly inconsistent takes on the high cosmic aspects of DC.

I never drew the conclusion you imagined I did.
Me: Actually I'm not because I don't think Morrison including our perspective when describing Hypertime fundamentally changes what it is.

You: "...describing it as multi-dimensional time does, when it's elsewise never presented that way."

You literally admitted that Hypertime being described as a multi-dimensional time fundamentally changes it between author.

You have fundamentally misunderstood my point. I wasn't referring to hypothetical future actions.
I don't care.
"Potential"
Ok. So you implied I was potentially criticizing the contents of a post. Which I wasn't.

No one said this.
You said "merging the cosmologies." Which implies separate cosmologies.

Yes, obviously. However, even between reboots different authors have had wildly inconsistent takes on the high cosmic aspects of DC.
Can you describe some of these wild inconsistent takes?

Last edited:
You literally admitted that Hypertime being described as a multi-dimensional time fundamentally changes it between author.
Once again, a strawman. That is not the argument that I'm making.

I don't care.
Good for you? You completely misunderstood what I was saying in your response regardless.

So you implied I was potentially criticizing the contents of a post. Which I wasn't.
Potential refers to something in the future. I never said you were criticizing anything.

You said "merging the cosmologies." Which implies separate cosmologies.
Yes, that doesn't mean DC created separate cosmologies. It's referring to different takes on the cosmology by different authors, not anything DC actually created or intended to create, just the massive inconsistencies between different authors. No one is saying DC made separate cosmologies.

Can you describe some of these wild inconsistent takes?
I described them above, as did Confluctor.

Could you stop telling him about strawmans and all that thing? Is bothering me reading that kind of arguments
I'll stop bringing up his strawman arguments when he stops making them, it's that simple.

What does strawman mean please?
Countering a fake argument you made for your opponent. Most of Xear's responses in this thread are responding to statements no one made.

What I'm trying to say is that you should center yourself on the reasons why you think DC should or shouldn't break up.

Don't pay as much attention to how Xearsay says the arguments. If you know well how DC works then it is convenient that you tell us your point of view so that we can do more than argue against you.

Confluctor gave a complete answer days ago, and that's the opinion of most DC experts here. Trying to merge all of the ideas of Gaiman, Morrison, Snyder, DeMatteis, etc. Doesn't work because there are many overlapping concepts and characters described in contradictory ways. The Monitors alone went through 3 different origin stories, Pralaya as the void is solely in DeMatteis' stories and she's described as the Source, but this wasn't used by the rest of DC. Father Time and Mother Night weren't used outside of Gaiman whatsoever. The list is pretty expensive, that's why it's clear intellectual dishonesty to downplay it as "a few inconsistencies" knowing that DC is full of contradictions.

I’m gonna ignore most of your comment because most of it is just like what many of the other commenters said, an emotional battle. And I’m no longer interested in having that with you.
I described them above, as did Confluctor.

What you described were not inconsistencies between the authors. Inconsistencies require two things to be not compatible with each other. Pralaya appearing only in Dematteis work doesn’t prove she’s incompatible with the work made from another writer. The same goes for the rest of your examples since they’re all of the same format.

Many of them are indeed incompatible, because they address the same concepts in conflicting terms, and indeed if a high cosmic character is introduced in one cosmology but is mysteriously completely absent in another, that represents an inconsistency, as it requires creating headcanon for an in-verse reason for their absence, when the actual reason is the author didn't include that character.

You can claim these aren't inconsistencies if it suits you, you're simply objectively wrong which is why that argument will never gain much traction.

Many of them are indeed incompatible, because they address the same concepts in conflicting terms,
Except they don’t. The only example you gave for this was Morrison being more abstract when describing Hypertime which does not conflict with other descriptions of Hypertime.

and indeed if a high cosmic character is introduced in one cosmology but is mysteriously completely absent in another, that represents an inconsistency, as it requires creating headcanon for an in-verse reason for their absence, when the actual reason is the author didn't include that character.
Once again. An inconsistency requires something to be incompatible. Like I said before, Pralaya appearing in a story written by Dematteis but not appearing in a story written by Snyder or Morrison doesn’t mean Pralaya is incompatible with Snyder or Morrison’s work. She still exist in the same universe. She’s just not partaking in (insert story).

The only example you gave for this was Morrison being more abstract when describing Hypertime which does not conflict with other descriptions of Hypertime.
Other portrayals of Hypertime either portray it as or explicitly describe it as simple alternate timelines.

An inconsistency requires something to be incompatible
The definition of inconsistent simply means "not the same throughout." But either way, incompatibilities have already been described to you.

Pralaya appearing in a story written by Dematteis but not appearing in a story written by Snyder or Morrison doesn’t mean Pralaya is incompatible with Snyder or Morrison’s work
Pralaya is incompatible with Gaiman's take on the void before creation, as well as Snyder and Morrison's. Pralaya is also equated to the Source during DeMatteis' run which is incompatible with anyone else's portrayal of the Source. This pattern repeats itself regularly throughout DC.

And even in the cases where it's a simply a case of the mysterious disappearing high cosmic being, it's still an inconsistency, as there's no canon explanation for the absence of these beings in scenarios and stories where their presence would rightfully come into play.

I’ve always liked DC Cosmic characters like the New Gods, Myx and Pralaya more then Marvel (though I generally do like DC more then Marvel anyway) but I think it’s plagued with retcons, I don’t think the cosmology really contradicts itself in a major way if you looked at the big picture, they just can’t seem to focus on what the characters actually are or who’s the top dog (or even if there is a “Top Dog”) etc, like the many attempts to try and retcon the New Gods into being Aliens or Perpetua in general, and that makes everyone from fans and to writers confused

I guess I’d say I’m neutral to the idea of Separating the cosmologies, maybe leaning to disagree since I think in the future DC may get there shit together, but I can never be sure of DC in General

Other portrayals of Hypertime either portray it as or explicitly describe it as simple alternate timelines.
Can I see the scans of the portrayals that contradict each other?
Pralaya is incompatible with Gaiman's take on the void before creation, as well as Snyder and Morrison's.
How so?
Pralaya is also equated to the Source during DeMatteis' run which is incompatible with anyone else's portrayal of the Source.
That kind of depends on how you interpret the statement as it has a double meaning.

And even in the cases where it's a simply a case of the mysterious disappearing high cosmic being, it's still an inconsistency, as there's no canon explanation for the absence of these beings in scenarios and stories where their presence would rightfully come into play.
This doesn’t even make sense. You basically just said that it’s an inconsistency because we don’t get an explanation for the absence of characters who you think deserve to be in certain story.

Can I see the scans of the portrayals that contradict each other?
Nearly every portrayal of Time and Hypertime is different than the last in some way or another.

1. Heart of Chronos is called the source of all time in all universes.

2. Hypertime described as a web of the parallel timelines of DC

3. Hypertime described as spanning across different multiverses. (even though Hypertime was created by a being that never left the DC multiverse).

4. Hypertime instead being described as created by Alpheus just for the DC Universe

5. Hypertime described as outside the Multiverse

6. Hypertime implied as being greater than the multiverse, but subsidiary to "The Eternal Return"

7. Hypertime apparently creates new universes.

8. The "Branefold Interior" is apparently home of the fuginauts who monitor timelines so that they don't interfere with one another.

9. Time in DC describes as being three dimensional

10. 5D imp describing Time and Hypertime as separate.

11. Yggdrasil is the cosmic axis through which all time flows.

12. Olympus is outside time and space

13. Yet Father boxes engage in "Hypertime planning"

14. The old gods predate time. (as does Silver City and the Angels)

15. Wonderworld is the limit of space and time

16. Within the timestream, timelines are like tangible objects

17. If you break the Source Wall, apparently Hypertime dies.

This list is never ending, but I'll stop there, in other words, depending on what comic book you're reading by which author, Hypertime is outside the multiverse, part of the multiverse, or a part of the creation thereof. Even though characters have freely entered Hypertime whereas simply reaching the highest dimension of the multiverse that Hypertime is allegedly outside of required the long-term planning and assistance of a 5D imp. Hypertime is apparently the timelines of different universes, or it's what literally creates the universes themselves, or it's simply the 4th dimension of the multiverse. Hypertime and time are either separate or they aren't. All choices make new timelines, or apparently feed into some concept called the Eternal Return greater than Hypertime which was never seen again. It's the home of the Fuginauts, who have no relevance in any of these stories, and the source of time is the Heart of Chronos, or maybe it was Alpheus? Oh and it's 3-dimensional. Or it isn't. Or perhaps time is the realm of "Father Time" who created the endless with Night. Oh also apparently everyone and their mother is outside of time, which is apparently outside the entire multiverse, even though time reaches as far as the Monitor Sphere and the Source Wall.

Before you starting typing up a storm about how some of these scans aren't completely incompatible with specific other scans in the list, the point is that many of these concepts despite apparently all being canon characteristics or portrayals of Time, Hypertime, or both when they're considering the same thing, do not fit with one another (such as Hypertime being multiversal or outside the multiverse, or the means through which the multiverse is created)

So no matter what interpretation of time and Hypertime is chosen, some dozen comics have to be completely ignored or overlooked, which is why they're being categorized by author.

In Gaiman's cosmology, Mother Night is the personification of the void before creation, not Pralaya. In Snyder and Morrison's cosmology, there is no personification, because the multiverse is simply one of many in the "Overvoid" which doesn't have a bunch of other voids in it, and it has no personification (certainly not one that would be local to the DC Multiverse).

That kind of depends on how you interpret the statement as it has a double meaning.
Sure, it's a double entendre, but it explicitly distinguished the word "Source" with a capital S, which only has one meaning in DC.

You basically just said that it’s an inconsistency because we don’t get an explanation for the absence of characters who you think deserve to be in certain story.
Close, it's an inconsistency because we don't get an explanation for the absence of characters who should be involved considering the concepts at play. It has nothing to do with deserve.

Link doesn’t work.
Ok... This is consistent.
3. Hypertime described as spanning across different multiverses. (even though Hypertime was created by a being that never left the DC multiverse).
Why are you assuming by different multiverses that it’s referring to the Omniverse.
Ok. This doesn’t conflict with anything.
Ok. This is consistent.
Ok. This is consistent.
The link doesn’t work here.
The link doesn’t work here.
Link doesn’t work.
Ok. What does this have to do with Hypertime?
Ok. What is this supposed to prove?
14. The old gods predate time. (as does Silver City and the Angels)
Link doesn’t work.

Link doesn’t work.
Link doesn’t work.
It saids Hypertime is “dying.” Meaning it doesn’t just outright die but it begins the process of dying. Which makes sense. The entirety of creation begins dying
the point is that many of these concepts despite apparently all being canon characteristics or portrayals of Time, Hypertime, or both when they're considering the same thing, do not fit with one another (such as Hypertime being multiversal or outside the multiverse, or the means through which the multiverse is created)
Literally none of your evidence proves this. Matter of fact, some of scans literally present a consistency rather than an inconsistency.

In Gaiman's cosmology, Mother Night is the personification of the void before creation, not Pralaya.
Ok. So there’s multiple voids that exist predating creation.

In Snyder and Morrison's cosmology, there is no personification, because the multiverse is simply one of many in the "Overvoid" which doesn't have a bunch of other voids in it, and it has no personification (certainly not one that would be local to the DC Multiverse).
Ok. And who’s to say the Overvoid can’t contain other voids?
Sure, it's a double entendre, but it explicitly distinguished the word "Source" with a capital S, which only has one meaning in DC.
And? The sentence “It is the Source from which all things emerge and all things must return” still doesn’t imply that Pralaya is the Source.
Close, it's an inconsistency because we don't get an explanation for the absence of characters who should be involved considering the concepts at play. It has nothing to do with deserve.
For the characters who “should be involved”??? Who are you to decide whether (insert character) should have been involved in an authors work? That’s not up for you to decide. It’s up to the writer to decide what characters should be involved in their stories. And a writer deciding that (insert character) will not appear in their story doesn’t mean (insert character) conflicts with the story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back