• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We Need to Talk About the Chaos Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
What is this and why am I making it?

I'm going to say something that may surprise some people; I don't like that the 40k version of the Chaos Gods are as strong as they are, right now.

Is this because I think it's wrong? No. It's because, with my own personal view of the setting, a setting I am a huge fan of, this level of power is too much. However, as I have remembered with great clarity recently, Warhammer 40,000 is not "my thing". It is not something that is strictly my passion project on this wiki, nor is it, or any other franchise, subject only to what I want it to be.

I say this because I have found that when I provide people with certain quotes about the Warp or the Chaos Gods, and they ask me "How is this not 1-A?", my internal response often ends up as simply, "Because I don't think it should be". That is by no means a good enough reason. I am here to help make profiles accurate, not to make them what I want.

Below, I am going to be posting quite a few quotes. Because I have a huge problem with people just taking things out of context, I will try to provide everything in context to the best of my ability, as well as give a detailed analysis.

This is a thread I have been putting off for a while, so prepare for a long one.

Chaos, the Warp, and Dimensions

Many of you likely remember some of the quotes that made the Chaos Gods High 1-B, in the first place. Most importantly, we have the quotes from Gods of Mars and Magnus the Red: Master of Prospero.

"A glittering megalopolis spread before him, the flow of information that formed the hidden arteries of the Speranza. It was mountainous, rugged with hives of light and vast termite mounds of agglomerated data. Abyssal cliffs of contextually linked information hubs spiraled into fractal mazes of answers that led to ever more questions.

Datacores burned like newborn suns in constellations of linked neural networks. The Speranza was in constant dialogue with itself, learning and growing with every solution gained.

Heuristic in the purest sense of the word.

Every paradigm of scalable time, from the cosmic day to compression of universal history to a single hour, failed utterly to capture the datascape's infinite scope. Its mysteries went back to the first stone tools hacked from river bedrock and stretched into the Omega Point, the Logos, and the Hyparxis all in one.

And for all that this aspect of the Speranza was a place of knowledge and understanding, it was also one of metaphor, allusion, and maddening symbolism. Highways of light were easy enough to interpret, but what of the vast, serpentine coils arcing above and below to encircle the world before coming around to engulf itself? What of the conjoined helicies of light that split apart like the branches of a towering tree with its roots dug deep into the datascape? Could he even see these things truly or was his hominid brain simply interpreting the unknown in ways he could process?

Looking down, if down was even a concept in the infinitely-dimensional realms of thought, it was clear how foolish and naive he had been to claim to have been the Speranza's master.
" - Gods of Mars

"'This will be of interest to you, brother,' said Perturabo, holding out the complex arrangement of curved metal, winding mechanisms, and adjustable lenses. 'I made a replica of the Antikythera, just like you asked.'.

To see so delicate a mechanism in Perturabo's hands seemed incongruous, as most apparatus bearing the stamp of the Iron Warriors that Atharva had seen ― save for those within this chamber ― had been brutally functional. 'Does it work?'

'I am not entirely sure,' answered Perturabo. 'You never fully explained its intended purpose or how exactly it was designed to function'.

'You've built it,' said Magnus. 'What do you think it does?'.

'I believe it to be some form of navigational instrument,' said Perturabo, lifting the device to look through one of its eyepieces. 'It has the look of a sextant once used by seafarers, but with infinitely more dimensions to its operation. What manner of ocean would you be navigating to require such a device?'.

'The Great Ocean,' said Magnus. 'It allows even those without our gifts to perceive the realm beyond.'." - Magnus the Red: Master of Prospero

However, there is an issue. Knowingly or note, I find that I have largely neutered these quotes of full context, which points to something a bit above just basic High 1-B.

• For the Gods of Mars quote, the exact same series makes it clear that in this realm, dimensions have no meaning. This suggests far more "an inherently dimensionless space where any dimensional structure can be placed" as opposed to just "an infinite-dimensional structure".
"Falling down a light-filled tunnel. Rushing motion, sickening vertigo. The sense of being drawn out of a chain a molecule thick. Connection was always difficult, but this...

This felt like it was stretching him past the breaking point.

Then, like taut elastic, he snapped back.

Vertigo, again. Motion blur, quickly followed by nausea. He fought it, knowing it wasn't real. Inner ear balance that wasn't his. A centre of gravity altered. Someone else's body.

New sensations, all unpleasant.

The nausea diminished. The sense of dislocation passed. Light and three-dimensional space unfolded. Dimensions had meaning, again. The vectors of X, Y, and Z restored.
"

• Similarly, the Magnus the Red quote also isn't saying "the Warp is an infinite-dimensional structure". Shortly after this, within the very same book, it's made clear that what was being referred to was only the "surface level" of the Warp. When Magnus ventures deeper, he discovers an endless void that is directly stated to be without dimensions or points of reference. I have often downplayed this as only "seeming to not have any dimensions", but the story itself makes this very clear.
"Magnus drifted on tides unknown.

An infinite white void surrounded him, without dimensions or points of reference. He did not know this place, but it was clearly not the Great Ocean. Perhaps this was what it was like to die? Or was this what the mind experienced when it finally let slip the moorings of existence and gave in to death?

No, neither of these answers seemed satisfactory. For all that he had no experience of dying, this did not feel like the end of his body of light.

He had no sensation of his flesh, no sight of the absurdly fragile silver thread that linked his power to his corporeal shell when soaring in the Great Ocean.

Perhaps he had reached too far, dared too greatly, and this was the price he must pay.
" - Magnus the Red: Master of Prospero

Before I continue, as a reminder to people, I am going to post our exact requirements for actually having a 1-A tier.

"Characters that have no dimensional limitations.

Basically, a being or an object which is outside and beyond all concepts of time and space. This is something completely formless, abstract, metaphysical and transcendental. The usual scale does not make sense against a beyond dimensional object. Such beings can not be affected by destruction within the dimensions of time and space, or physical matter and energy. This "space" in which there is no dimension can be the background for any dimensional space. Within such a beyond dimensional "space", a dimensional structure with any number of dimensions can be placed, because there are no restrictions regarding dimensions.
"

I am going to keep posting quotes to show just how closely the Warp matches these descriptions.

• The Warp is completely unbound by physical space, time, or causality.
"Beyond the boundaries of physical space, unrestricted by time or causality, there is a dimension utterly incomprehensible to mortal minds. It lies on the other side of dreams and nightmares, infinite in scope but without form or structure." - Codex: Chaos Daemons, pg 6

• "Physical space" on its own is already far, far greater than just a 4-D space-time continuum.
"'Here?' cried Semyon, throwing his arms wide and spinning around like a lunatic. 'You have such a limited understanding of the material world, girl. Words like here and there have no meaning. The myriad dimensions of this material universe cannot be defined by so limited a thing as human language!'" ― Mechanicum

"The warrior in orange and black armor shouted. The automaton stepped forwards, piston driven limbs shaking the deck. The cannon on its shoulder swiveled. The prisoner could feel the dark energy dancing in the weapon. It knew its shape and taste, old and familiar from wars that had scarred the stars when they were young. The gun weapon drew breath to fire. The prisoner's senses traced the distances between every point in the room and sliced time down until only the decay of atoms marked its passing. The short distance from it to the automaton's gun, from the automaton to its masters, from those masters to the door. Every measured value became like crystal, every facet and plane extending through countless dimensions."

• Once again, the Warp is confirmed to be completely and utterly unbound by physics and all laws of time and space.
"Timeless and ever-shifting, this psychic expanse is known as the Realm of Chaos, the Warp, the Immaterium or Warp space. It is a dimension parallel to our own, a universe devoid of consistency and unbound by the laws of time and space, a random, unstructured panorama of pure energy and unfocused consciousness. It is Chaos in its truest sense, unfettered by the limits of physics and undirected by intelligent purpose. Warp space is Chaos, Chaos is Warp space; the two are indivisible." - Codex: Chaos Daemons, pg 6

• Completely anathema to the laws of physics.
"The Realm of Chaos is anathema to the laws of physics and ships that navigate its depths do so by taking a skin or bubble of 'reality' with them when they enter." - Codex: Chaos Daemons, pg 7

• More statements of the Warp having no physical dimensions.
"The Warp has no physical dimensions and the Realm of Chaos is without limits or true geography." - Codex: Chaos Daemons (6th ed.), pg 8

• Extremely direct confirmation that Chaos is beyond the very concept of time itself, and that the Gods can erase and recreate it as they see fit.
"At the centre of the Eye of Terror, the powers of the Warp run strongest, meaning the laws of space, time and reality do not apply. Some worlds are flat, floating planes spinning in the ether, others are surrounded by fireballs, while tiered worlds rise up, supported by intertwining pillars. No one can say how these realities exist, save that the pure power of Chaos washes over them and has made them so. Those worlds most steeped in chaotic energy are the abodes of Daemons, and are considered outlying colonies of the Warp, while the outermost planets upon the fringes of the Eye of Terror cling to more of the physical laws of the galaxy. In the centre, time not only does not flow, but also does not exist as a concept, save for when such trivialities might please the Dark Gods themselves." - Index Chaotica

• The laws of physics, time, and nature are flat out stated to be meaningless concepts, there.
"It is a churning ocean of chaos, raw emotion and madness given form, where the laws of physics, time and nature are meaningless concepts and nothing is as it seems." - Warhammer 40k Rulebook (4th ed.), pg 122

• Time and distance again confirmed to not exist.
"In warp space there is no time, no distances, only a constantly flowing stream of immaterium." - Battle Fleet Gothic Rulebook, pg 85

• Not bound by physical reality's rational laws. Again, this is the same physical reality composed of a countless number of higher dimensions.
"It is a roiling, howling maelstorm of force and energy, utterly unpredictable and not subject to the rational laws and linear flow of time in the way that physical reality is." - Horus Heresy Book I: Betrayal, pg 16

• Even more direct statement about the Warp being dimensionless in nature.
"Distance was physically meaningless in the warp, but his brain could not cope with a dimensionless state, no matter his training. It was impossible to shape thoughts without a sense of up and down, near and far, in and out." - All Must End

• The story goes out of its way to point out that the only dimensional limitations of the Warp are the ones the inhabitants put on themselves.
"Concerns of the material world intruded on his introspective plunge, and Magnus looked out on a world of shadows and deceit. He had passed from the realm of flesh to the realm of spirit without even thinking of it, and floated in a place without form and dimensions save any he desired to impose upon it. This was the entrance to the network, the nexus point that led into the labyrinth. This was what he had come to Aghoru to find." - A Thousand Sons

• Just for the hell of it, let's throw in some clear nondualism, as well.
"There was a god of lies in the Warp. There could be no greater power. Congealed from the deceit of the universe, older than reality, Raezael could only become part of it. It was Tzeentch, and yet it was nothing, for this purest manifestation of Chaos was so infinitely mutable that it could never truly be fixed as anything. Its very existence was a lie, because Tzeentch could not exist. From this paradox flowed such power that the universe could only have one rightful ruler, and it was Tzeentch.

The concept of Tzeentch was an appalling thing, one that filled Alaric with disgust, but Raezael's devotion to the being mingled with that disgust, the resulting emotion utterly alien to Alaric's mind, a perversion of everything it meant to be human.

Raezael's understanding grew. Tzeentch desired power, and yet Tzeentch also desired the absence of power, anarchy and confusion, because for Tzeentch to desire any one thing would be to deny its very existence.
" - Hammer of Daemons

Breaking it dow

Here's what I'm trying to say.

Remember how I even went out of my way to post our requirements for Outerverse level, above? Let's go over this, again.

• "no dimensional limitations"
Multiple quotes I've posted above confirm this to be the case. Even the limitation of infinite dimensions is shown to be just the "surface level" of the Warp itself, and we have direct statements of it being called dimensionless.

• "a being or an object which is outside and beyond all concepts of time and space"
This too has direct confirmation. There's more statements about the Warp being beyond all concepts of time, space, physics, nature, etc. than I can shake a stick at, and we even have an instance of the Gods erasing the very concept of time itself.

• "something completely formless, abstract, metaphysical and transcendental"
See literally every quote above.

• "can be the background for any dimensional space. Within such a beyond dimensional "space", a dimensional structure with any number of dimensions can be placed, because there are no restrictions regarding dimensions."
Yet another thing directly confirmed by above quotes, from the Warp containing an infinite-dimensional realm separate from its most true form, to its inhabitants only having dimensional limitations that they themselves choose to take.

If I was still trying to downplay this, I'd probably call it something along the lines of "At least High 1-B".

But here's the deal. The Warp directly matches pretty much every requirement we set up for 1-A on the Tiering System page. The best way to say "this isn't 1-A" without flat out ignoring pretty much all of it would be to change what actually constitutes 1-A itself.

I personally don't care, so I'll leave that up to everyone else if they rather do something like that.

Addressing Inevitable Comments and Concerns

• "Chaos doesn't even have basic multiversal feats! How the hell could they be outerversal?"
Ignoring that this isn't even how the tiering system works for a second, this all too common issue is wrong from the very start. Chaos/the Warp/those empowered by it do in fact already have multiple feats of this level, even not taking higher-dimensional stuff into account. A few examples off the top of my head would be:

Magnus destroying and reshaping realities during his very first journey into the Warp.

"I remember gold. A golden web of glowing threads, spreading through the black, stretching into infinity. The threads split and divided, met and joined, over and over, slicing the emptiness into sharp slivers. I spun through the web. My body blinked between shapes: a silver hawk, a circle of fire, a sickle of moonlight. Rainbow sparks danced in my wake, and the golden web sang at my passing. I felt joy. I had made that journey many times in dreams before that moment, but that was the first time I had dived into the Great Ocean at my own will. It felt like breaking into air after drowning. It felt like returning home. I flew, my thoughts stretching across time and space, my will snapping realities and remaking them. It was so easy, it was like nothing, but it was everything." - Ahriman: King of Ashes

Magnus experiencing "titanic forces" within the Warp accidentally creating and destroying universes with just stray thoughts.

"Here in the Great Ocean, he could be whatever he wanted to be; nothing was forbidden and anything was possible.

Worlds flashed past him as he hurtled through the swelling tides of colour, light and dimensions without name. The roiling chaos of the aether was a playground for titanic forces, where entire universes could be created and destroyed with a random thought. How many trillions of potential lives were birthed and snuffed out just by thinking such things?
" - A Thousand Sons, pg 712

Ka'bandha affecting an infinite number of universes in his travel through the Warp.

"Ka'Bandha fell through the hidden spaces between worlds. The occulted gears of creation rushed by him. In the machineries of being were the inner secrets of the universe displayed to him. The daemonkin of Tzeentch would have damned a dozen eternities for a glimpse of what he saw, but Ka'Bandha did not care for knowledge. The things on display were valueless to him, and the wonders of infinity whirled by unappreciated. Ka'Bandha fell forever and for no time at all, until a wave of change rippled out through the multi-dimensional space he infected, upsetting the delicate workings of infinite, interleaved universes. Ka'Bandha howled in triumph. The promised storm had been unleashed." - The Devastation of Baal

So yeah. They have multiversal feats even without "lol dimension wank".

• "If Chaos is so strong, why haven't they been able to wipe out a single galaxy/universe, already?"
Oh boy. Something that's been addressed since the very first edition of the game. I suppose I'll post a quote from the most recent Chaos codex to show that their greatest obstacle is still themselves.

"Had the Chaos Gods worked in unison in the wake of that terrible event, it is doubtless that realspace would have been utterly consumed by the sprawling madness of the warp. Yet true to their nature, the dark brothers saw the anarchy as an opportunity to fulfil their own agendas: to kill, to change, to pollute, to bathe in excess." - Codex: Chaos Daemons (8th ed.), pg. 9

• "Beyond dimensional/higher dimensional Chaos is inconsistent."
See all those quotes I posted above? Many of them are from across multiple novels and editions of the game, with multiple writers, across more than three decades. As it turns out, Chaos seems to be one of the most consistent things in the entire setting, especially with how hard it is for multiple writers to agree on power levels among guys like the Primarchs.

• "Too vague. 40k uses way too much flowery language for this to be taken seriously."
Please spare me the BS. I've already given up on my own pretenses of "I simply wish the characters weren't at this level", so I hope others would do the same. "Flowery language" is only an excuse for when something is actual flowery language, not direct statements within a verse that just often has flowery language. The quotes I've posted more closely match the requirements we have for 1-A than a lot of other things on this site, I can tell you that much. Hell, we can even directly explai them and not resort to "you just wouldn't get it without full context" as an excuse.

• "This doesn't match how I view 40k."
Check back with what I posted at the beginning of this thread. 40k does not belong to any of us, and my own personal reasons for not wanting characters to be at this tier doesn't mean we should push out what's accurate in favor of what we want.

I hope people can look at what I've posted objectively and see where I'm coming from, because even if we did something as drastic as changing the requirements for 1-A because of this, these statements and feats are still the kind of things that get "At least High 1-B" with even the most unfair scrutiny applied.

Honestly, at least high 1B seems like a good minimum. What would this do to people like ynnead and Ork God's who are supposedly stronger than chaos?

Ah, so this is an objective post meant to get the thoughts of the community. Got it.

But first, just to torment you Azzy, just remember that this ******* quote exists:

The line did not pass into the Warp, but into the cold void beyond. Neither real nor unreal, nor the skein between. The realm of death. The absence. The empty expanse. And here she found the cold beat of Ynnead's heart. Restless. Stirring. Here, the spirits of the slain were drawn, the souls of Eldar gathering like a mist of silver particles.
- Hand of Darkness

Matthew Schroeder said:
But first, just to torment you Azzy, just remember that this ******* quote exists:
The line did not pass into the Warp, but into the cold void beyond. Neither real nor unreal, nor the skein between. The realm of death. The absence. The empty expanse. And here she found the cold beat of Ynnead's heart. Restless. Stirring. Here, the spirits of the slain were drawn, the souls of Eldar gathering like a mist of silver particles.
- Hand of Darkness
...I do hate the fact that this quote is objectively so ludicrously high, regardless of where everyone else is placed. lmao

This quote actually will help me with one of my points about the supposed 1-A Warp thing. I feel that both the Magnus scene and another scene with Mephiston involve people navigating not the Warp, but something else entirely outside it.

Neutral on 1-A right now.

But i gotta say,huge kudos for the begging of the post.Its this kinda of shit that makes me respect the staff here,no matter my stance on the debate.

I don't think this is High 1-A...

Some characters are still 1-A even though they're massively beyond an outerversal void

If he comes in here I'm going to strangle you.

Figuratively. I'll use Figurative strangling.

TheSandman31 said:
I don't think this is High 1-A...
Some characters are still 1-A even though they're massively beyond an outerversal void
In order to be High 1-A you need to be massively stupidley ridiculously idiotically above another powerful 1-A.

To be High 1-A, you must be what a 1-A is to an 11-C on a 1-A scale. At least, that's what I got from other threads.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
However, as I have remembered with great clarity recently, Warhammer 40,000 is not "my thing". It is not something that is strictly my passion project on this wiki, nor is it, or any other franchise, subject only to what I want it to be.
John Cena are you sure about that? GREENSCREEN-0
John Cena "are you sure about that?" GREENSCREEN-0

I will divide my arguments into many points for clarity.

High 1-B Warp:

This mostly comes from stuff from the Forge of Mars book trilogy, and I'm honestly quite fine with it. The series mentions that the Warp, as the AdMech character perceives it, is infinitely-dimensional multiple times. It leaves little room for doubt.

I disagree with the Magnus book quote, tho.

"'This will be of interest to you, brother,' said Perturabo, holding out the complex arrangement of curved metal, winding mechanisms, and adjustable lenses. 'I made a replica of the Antikythera, just like you asked.'.
To see so delicate a mechanism in Perturabo's hands seemed incongruous, as most apparatus bearing the stamp of the Iron Warriors that Atharva had seen ― save for those within this chamber ― had been brutally functional. 'Does it work?'
'I am not entirely sure,' answered Perturabo. 'You never fully explained its intended purpose or how exactly it was designed to function'.

'You've built it,' said Magnus. 'What do you think it does?'.
'I believe it to be some form of navigational instrument,' said Perturabo, lifting the device to look through one of its eyepieces. 'It has the look of a sextant once used by seafarers, but with infinitely more dimensions to its operation. What manner of ocean would you be navigating to require such a device?'.
'The Great Ocean,' said Magnus. 'It allows even those without our gifts to perceive the realm beyond.
Not this part: "It has the look of a sextant once used by seafarers, but with infinitely more dimensions to its operation."

This is Perturabo's word. He took a look at the compass which Magnus devised, and later declared that it had infinite dimensions. This honestly strikes me as hyperbolic or poetic, because:

• 1) Perturabo cannot perceive infinite dimensions
  • 2) Perturabo cannot count to infinite dimensions
  • 3) Magnus cannot make an infinite-dimensional device
  • 4) Perturabo later smashes the compass with his hammer
Sure, the device is probably higher-dimensional to a large extent but infinitely doesn't seem literal in this part. Also you don't need an infinite-dimensional compass to navigate the Warp, that part of the argument is straight up exaggerated.

As for the "Dimensions had no meaning" quote from Gods of Mars, well.

The nausea diminished. The sense of dislocation passed. Light and three-dimensional space unfolded. Dimensions had meaning, again. The vectors of X, Y, and Z restored.
It is talking about how three-dimensions returning to having meaning. And I can assure you, in an infinitely-dimensional realm made of concepts, thoughts and metaphors, they would have just as absolutely 0 meaning as in a dimensionless realm.

Realspace Stuff

You post two Necron-related quotes to say that Realspace is 1-B, and that automatically the Warp would be 1-B when transcending it. Well, the problem is, I don't really think that C'tan / Necron Cryptek stuff totally scales to the material universe as every other faction understands it.

The Necrons are consistently depicted as having technology that allows them access to pocket dimensions, alternate realities, dimensional gateways, movement through higher dimensions to effectively step out of reality, etc.

I do not believe that such realms are necessarily a part of the Realspace that is referred to whenever whenever they talk about the Warp's relation to it, but more like outside realms known only by the Necrons and which the C'tan have mastery over.

Because whenever they talk about the Warp's relation to the Material Universe, they mention how notions of matter, physical space, linear time, and the laws of physics are meaningless / completely ignored... And they are also completely ignored by the C'tan and the realms which they control, so what is even the point of making the comparison if that's the case?

Which brings to my next point...

The Supposed 1-A Warp quotes

There's really no two ways about this, so I'll go over one by one:

"Beyond the boundaries of physical space, unrestricted by time or causality, there is a dimension utterly incomprehensible to mortal minds. It lies on the other side of dreams and nightmares, infinite in scope but without form or structure."
This is... Not 1-A? It is a description that can fit even 5th Dimensional stuff, honestly, or even less. It's an eldritch and nightmarish realm beyond the boundaries of physical space and linear time as we understand it. That's not remotely dimensionless.

"Timeless and ever-shifting, this psychic expanse is known as the Realm of Chaos, the Warp, the Immaterium or Warp space. It is a dimension parallel to our own, a universe devoid of consistency and unbound by the laws of time and space, a random, unstructured panorama of pure energy and unfocused consciousness. It is Chaos in its truest sense, unfettered by the limits of physics and undirected by intelligent purpose. Warp space is Chaos, Chaos is Warp space; the two are indivisible."
This quote is actually contrary to the Warp being this 1-A. It refers to the Immaterium as a universe parallel to our own (More on that later), which is unbound by the laws of space and time and physics (Again, not 1-A). Almost every single Universal+ to Multiversal+ Abstract / Conceptual entity would be 1-A if this was a valid requirement.

Also the later quote in this line about how "Warpspace is Chaos and Chaos is Warpspace" is straight up wrong. There are numerous things in the Warp which are not composed of Chaos, such as the Formless Wastes, the Emperor and all His stuff, the Ork Gods, the Aeldari Pantheon, etc.

"The Realm of Chaos is anathema to the laws of physics and ships that navigate its depths do so by taking a skin or bubble of 'reality' with them when they enter."
So a Tier 2 feat.

"The Warp has no physical dimensions and the Realm of Chaos is without limits or true geography."
This is debatably 1-A, but I'd have to see the full context. This is about the Formless Wastes, right? In that case they are less 1-A and more like just literally nothing, as they are parts of the Warp untouched by the mind and will of any god or daemon.

"At the centre of the Eye of Terror, the powers of the Warp run strongest, meaning the laws of space, time and reality do not apply. Some worlds are flat, floating planes spinning in the ether, others are surrounded by fireballs, while tiered worlds rise up, supported by intertwining pillars. No one can say how these realities exist, save that the pure power of Chaos washes over them and has made them so. Those worlds most steeped in chaotic energy are the abodes of Daemons, and are considered outlying colonies of the Warp, while the outermost planets upon the fringes of the Eye of Terror cling to more of the physical laws of the galaxy. In the centre, time not only does not flow, but also does not exist as a concept, save for when such trivialities might please the Dark Gods themselves."
Okay, this is super impressive, but not 1-A? We don't rank people as 1-A for transcending or ignoring the concept of space or time, because it does not mean that transcending 4th Dimensional linear time equates to transcending all forms of higher-dimensional non-linear time.

"It is a churning ocean of chaos, raw emotion and madness given form, where the laws of physics, time and nature are meaningless concepts and nothing is as it seems."
Again, this is the standard description of the Warp as above our understandings of physical space, linear time, and the laws of physics. What else is new, how is this relevant?

"In warp space there is no time, no distances, only a constantly flowing stream of immaterium."
Clearly it exists in some form, or else no Spaceship would ever navigate through the Warp in anyway. I can also post a ton of quotes which outright states that Time does exist in the Warp, only in a strange and unrecognizable way, where it works seemingly at random.

This is why someone can enter the Warp, and leave centuries before or millennia after, because time does exist in the Warp in some fashion, just not a linear one.

"It is a roiling, howling maelstorm of force and energy, utterly unpredictable and not subject to the rational laws and linear flow of time in the way that physical reality is."
This is once again stating that it is above the laws of physics and the linear flow of time which govern physical reality. Not a supposed 1-B+ physical reality.

Also, this is Horus Heresy Book One, right? Those books are amazing pieces of lore and worldbuilding, and part of what makes that so good is that they are written from the perspective of an in-universe scholar trying to piece all the events of the Heresy together from fragmentary sources. Not saying that the POV writer here is wrong, he ain't, just that it isn't from an omniscient narrator.

"Distance was physically meaningless in the warp, but his brain could not cope with a dimensionless state, no matter his training. It was impossible to shape thoughts without a sense of up and down, near and far, in and out."
Okay, this is probably 1-A, maybe. However, I think it is valid to note that the Warp is often described as "dimensionless" or "Without dimension" in the sense that it is so vast that it is impossible for people in it to have any sense of scale and dimension in it.

"Concerns of the material world intruded on his introspective plunge, and Magnus looked out on a world of shadows and deceit. He had passed from the realm of flesh to the realm of spirit without even thinking of it, and floated in a place without form and dimensions save any he desired to impose upon it. This was the entrance to the network, the nexus point that led into the labyrinth. This was what he had come to Aghoru to find."
Again, this seems to fit with the notion of the Warp as a "realm" that is shaped by your thoughts and dreams and will. Without anything to shape it, the Warp is simply... nothing. It is empty and void, until something fills it. And there the will fills it with what it can conjure.

Even if 1-A (Or maybe 11-C, lol. It is hard to tell the difference between 0-D and beyond-D when it comes to voids of utmost nothingness), I don't think it would scale to anyone. Not even the Chaos Gods are the totality of the Warp, but rather just the largest presences in it, which were also conjured by the will and minds of mortals, from a linear perspective (More on this later).

Non-Dualism and Kabandha thing

Okay, first:

"There was a god of lies in the Warp. There could be no greater power. Congealed from the deceit of the universe, older than reality, Raezael could only become part of it. It was Tzeentch, and yet it was nothing, for this purest manifestation of Chaos was so infinitely mutable that it could never truly be fixed as anything. Its very existence was a lie, because Tzeentch could not exist. From this paradox flowed such power that the universe could only have one rightful ruler, and it was Tzeentch.
The concept of Tzeentch was an appalling thing, one that filled Alaric with disgust, but Raezael's devotion to the being mingled with that disgust, the resulting emotion utterly alien to Alaric's mind, a perversion of everything it meant to be human.
Raezael's understanding grew. Tzeentch desired power, and yet Tzeentch also desired the absence of power, anarchy and confusion, because for Tzeentch to desire any one thing would be to deny its very existence."

How in God's good Earth does one interpret this as transduality, of all things. The only thing which the quote, which as far as I can tell is from the perspective of a Space Marine who is being enlightened / turned insane by Tzeentch (Same thing, really), is that Tzeentch is the embodiment of contradiction. He both is and isn't, does and doesn't, desires and doesn't desires, etc.

That doesn't mean he is above and beyond all dualistic concepts. If not, the ******* In-Betweener would be 1-A for embodying all opposites.

"Ka'Bandha fell through the hidden spaces between worlds. The occulted gears of creation rushed by him. In the machineries of being were the inner secrets of the universe displayed to him. The daemonkin of Tzeentch would have damned a dozen eternities for a glimpse of what he saw, but Ka'Bandha did not care for knowledge. The things on display were valueless to him, and the wonders of infinity whirled by unappreciated. Ka'Bandha fell forever and for no time at all, until a wave of change rippled out through the multi-dimensional space he infected, upsetting the delicate workings of infinite, interleaved universes. Ka'Bandha howled in triumph. The promised storm had been unleashed."
Okay, there's a LOT wrong with this quote, and I forever hate myself for starting this hoax.

Sure, there is a feat here, but it is not Ka'Bandha's. Here's the full scene:

Ka'Bandha fell through the hidden spaces between worlds. The occulted gears of creation rushed by him.
In the machineries of being were the inner secrets of the universe displayed to him. The daemonkin of Tzeentch would have damned a dozen eternities for a glimpse of what he saw, but Ka'Bandha did not care for knowledge. The things on display were valueless to him, and the wonders of

infinity whirled by unappreciated.

Ka'Bandha fell forever and for no time at all, until a wave of change rippled out through the multidimensional space he infected, upsetting the delicate workings of infinite, interleaved universes.
Ka'Bandha howled in triumph. The promised storm had been unleashed. Far from Baal, at Cadia, Abaddon the Despoiler achieved goals he had pursued since the Horus Heresy.
Reality split as faultlines closed millions of years ago were rent wide. Isolated warpstorms and anomalies spread their arms, reaching for the burning might of the warp. The Eye of Terror vomited its diabolical energies across the firmament. The raging storm it unleashed devoured tens of thousands of star systems. Millions of worlds were consumed. Races that had never known the wrath of man or the taint of Chaos were expunged in an instant. Imperial worlds fell by the score. Many thousands not destroyed outright were plagued by hordes of daemons, their psykers' minds ripped open to allow the fell beings of the empyrean to walk among mortal populations.
A warp storm of a size not seen since the Emperor took to the Golden Throne raged across the breadth of the galaxy. A billowing wave of madness engulfed space, travelling far faster than time and distance should have allowed. In the empyrean the Astronomican flickered and died. Rains of blood fell on terrified people on worlds thousands of light years from the Cadian Gate.
All creation rocked. In the no-spaces between realities, the rift was felt. In places far distant to the reality of man, strange beings dreamed of fire and blood.
Old Night, a source of hazy myth and fear to the peoples of the 41st millennium, was reborn.
Ka'Bandha roared joyously at its return.

It was not Ka'bandha's moving through the Warp which was affecting infinite universes, but rather The creation of the Great Rift, a feat done by the four Chaos Gods in conjunction. In Realspace it split the galaxy, but in the Warp where everything is insane it ****** over infinite, interwoven univeres. It's still a feat, but please don't go "Lol any Greater Daemon is 2-A in the Warp".

Answering some of the lesser things:

• Why does Chaos never consume Realspace?
Quite simply, because it almost surely can't. Chaos, and anything of the Warp by extension, has an extremely limited influence in Realspace, because both are anathema to each other, in the sense which they are opposites. They are parallel realities, one of which is governed by laws, space, time, matter, and the other is governed by will, thoughts, emotions and metaphors.

Hell, in Devastation of Baal, we see this first hand. Literally immediately after the Ka'bandha scene I just quoted, this happens:

The daemon recovered from his endless fall, beat his wings, and flew for a weakness in the fabric of all things. A single swipe of his axe split space-time, exploiting a faultline opened by the Cicatrix Maledictum. Ka'Bandha emerged into the material universe high over Baal Primus as the rift split the sky and the roiling energies of Chaos spread like a slick of burning promethium over the imperturbable depths of space.
The red world of Baal was before him. His promised prize was so close, and yet he could not reach it.
The storm was yet to engulf Baal. Without its vitalising power to sustain Ka'Bandha the void enforced its iron laws of cause and effect upon his body. His unreal being thrilled with electric agonies as the laws of physics sought to deny his existence. Mephiston could not prevent his entry to the world of dust and flesh, but he had damaged Ka'Bandha's form in the attempt. The energies that made his corpus had not knitted correctly. He had a limited amount of time to exist in mundane reality.
Gripped by hate for the Chief Librarian, he reached a clawed hand for Baal, howling soundlessly, for it lay frustratingly beyond his grasp and no exertion of will would bring it nearer. The storm was maddeningly close. Bathed in its energy, he might force a path to Baal. It was not to be. As the wavefront of the Cicatrix Maledictum rushed to engulf the Red Scar, Ka'Bandha was already falling.

Paragraphs before, Ka'bandha was cruising through the Warp, flying through eternity and no time, infecting multi-dimensional space, and slicing the fabric of reality with his axe. But the moment he enters Realspace, he is bound and limited by the rules which control him. The laws of time and causality are inflicted on him, and the laws of physics bring him pain as they seek to cancel his very existence. He becomes bound by finite energies, and has a limited about of time that he can maintain his material body.

• Beyond-dimensional / Higher-dimensional Chaos isn't inconsistent
Higher-Dimensional? Certainly not. Beyond-dimensional? Absolutely. There are very, very very few quotes which make the Warp 1-A for certainty, and most quotes simply state that it is above the Low 2-C reality governed by material space, linear time, and physical laws. High 1-B only has one trilogy of books that indicate it, but I nonetheless accept it because it is so ludicrously in-your-face.

Barring the quotes about the "Deep Warp", they are the best we've legitimately got. Yes, the Warp is ultimately just raw, undefined energy waiting to be shaped into whatever the will of mortals can conjure, but that does mean it is simply 1-A. Because the Warp is quite simply just whatever you perceive it as. The Warp is a reflection of the minds and hearts of mortals, and so when you stare at its Abyss, the Abyss quite literally stares back.

Isn't it funny that the only descriptions of the Warp as this strange, infinitely-dimensional realm of pure date and information, from which the very concept of Knowledge springs... Is from a novel almost entirely from an AdMech perspective? Of course not, because it makes perfect sense. Cyborg Scientist-Priest looks into Warp and sees exactly what his mind wants to see.

Just like how the Warp is described from the perspective of a Farseer, we get descriptions of the myriad dividing and intertwining skeins of fate, and all of past and present and possible futures and how it is all connected and part of a unified whole and what-not. Or when an Astropath looks into the Warp he sees a galactic psychic Chorus of abstract symphonies and sounds of emotion. Or how when a disciple of Tzeentch looks into the Warp he sees as an ever-spanning web of lies, deception, plans and manipulation forever being woven by their God. Hell, if a Loyalist Imperial Soldier / Space Marine dies and his soul enters the Warp, they might be greeted by a literal vision of Heaven with the Emperor waiting for them.

This isn't a headcanon of mine, this is outright stated in Flight of the Eisenstei and Talon of Horus. I just don't post the quotes to make this even longer.

Part 2 will be about the Deep Warp, and the relationship between the Materium and the Immaterium and stuff.

The Materium and the Immaterium:

Currently, this wiki seems to imply the relationship betweeen the Material Universe and the Warp as the former being an infinitesimally tiny pebble dropped within an endless ocean. Realspace is utterly insignificant, puny, powerless and worthless before Chaos.

This is true... From the perspective of the Warp.

From the perspective of Realspace, the Warp is nothing but a parallel reality which is directly affected and outright shaped by our every thought, emotion, dream, and act. The very nature of the Warp can be directly affected in greatly significant ways, such as particularly poignant acts of violence, genocide, tragedy and death giving birth to powerful Daemonic entities; to the shared religious belief of billions of souls turning their faith into "reality" in the Warp.

Hell, the very reason the Warp is Chaotic to begin with is canonically because of the War in Heaven between the Necrons & C'tan Vs. Old Ones, Aeldari and Krorks, amongst countless others. Their conflict was of a scale so unfathomably large, spread over the whole universe, that its echo in the Immaterium changed it irrevocably and eternally, and turned what was once a relatively calm and understandable Realm of Thought & Dreams into pure, nightmarish Chaos.

The Chaos Gods themselves were born out of significant events in the Galaxy's history tied to their respective concepts, truth be told, before that they didn't exist and had little to no effect on the Material Universe, save as echoes and portents of their stirring.

Of course, you will now type how I am wrong, how the Warp is beyond linear-time and thus this is incorrect, and Chaos is eternal and the gods always existed, and how Chaos has consumed countless universes before our own...

And yes, you are correct. The point is that both interpretations are 100% equally true. This wiki currently acts like only the Warp-perspective is true, and that saddens me deeply as it removes one of the most fascinating parts of 40K: That when we look at Chaos, we are looking at ourselves.

The relationship between The Materium and the Immaterium is contradictory. Both are two halves of the same coin, two aspects of the same "universe". One is Reality, while the other is Unreality. One is defined by space, time and physical laws, and the other runs on the logic of dreams, imagination, emotions and thoughts. They both depend on the other to exist, and are also mutually exclusive.

Khorne is the embodiment of all conflict on all levels since the dawn of time, which would not even exist if it weren't for him, but he was also born out of the violence of mortal beings who already knew conflict beforehand. Both are mutually exclusive interpretations, and they are both right.

Chaos is an Ouroboros. It devours itself. There's no point in trying to ultimately define it, hence why it is so terrifying.

Why did I write all this? Because quite frankly, this habit VBW is having of treating the Warp as infinitely and undoubtedly transcended and superior to the Material Universe is plainly wrong. It annoys me to see the base cosmology of Warhammer so eagerly tossed out of the window so that the Chaos Gods appear more impressive.

... And finally, let us cover the "Deep Warp":

Deep Warp, or Outside Warp?

Looking at this quote:

"Magnus drifted on tides unknown.
An infinite white void surrounded him, without dimensions or points of reference. He did not know this place, but it was clearly not the Great Ocean. Perhaps this was what it was like to die? Or was this what the mind experienced when it finally let slip the moorings of existence and gave in to death?
No, neither of these answers seemed satisfactory. For all that he had no experience of dying, this did not feel like the end of his body of light.
He had no sensation of his flesh, no sight of the absurdly fragile silver thread that linked his power to his corporeal shell when soaring in the Great Ocean.
Perhaps he had reached too far, dared too greatly, and this was the price he must pay."

This quote is extremely interesting, I find. Let us break it down:

"An infinite white void surrounded him, without dimensions or points of reference. He did not know this place, but it was clearly not the Great Ocean."

This is visibly of void of utmost nothingness, white and without dimensions or points of references. Magnus has no knowledge of this place, or what it is, but he clearly recognizes it as not being the Great Ocean, AKA the Warp. As Magnus is one of the beings who understood the Warp the most outside of the very Gods, this is very telling.

"He had no sensation of his flesh, no sight of the absurdly fragile silver thread that linked his power to his corporeal shell when soaring in the Great Ocean."

This is also telling. He is not in the Warp, so much so that he cannot feel the thread connection his psychic consciousness with his physical body when he swims through the Great Ocean. It is something else entirely.

To vague, well... There are at least two other examples of such a realm. The first you all have already seen:

- Hand of Darkness

People love to use this to go "Lol lmao Ynnead is 1-A!!!1", myself included, but this isn't what's interesting.

What's interesting is that it shows that there is some sort of Realm beyond both the Material Universe and the Warp, a realm which is described as pure void of absolute nothingness, death in its truest sense, empty and absent. Sounds familiar to the description of the place Magnus wandered?

Well, too vague? Have another example:

Darkness is running through my hands. I feel its textures. I know its shifting from smooth to granular, soothing to jagged, calm to desperate. The dark has as many moods and faces and songs as any more mundane, more adulterated reality. It is as protean as the warp, but possesses a purity that the daemon-infested empyrean will never know.
I am in something that might be called Limbo. I think of it as the embodiment of neither. It is neither real nor illusion, neither consciousness nor sleep, neither moral nor corrupt, neither materium nor warp. I am part of the neither, and I am separate from it. But the darkness is mine. It is in my hands. At any moment that I desire, I can grasp it. And then I can bend it to my will.
When I do, I must face a truth: the dark and the warp are not separate. The warp fuels its potential. The warp fuels me. If I slip, the warp will take me. It will become me. But that has not happened, nor will it. This is what I must believe. If I fail, then I must consider myself damned, and this is something I will not do.
But.
But the reason I travel the dark, the reason I parse its ways and beings, is to discover what it is that I am. I once was Calistarius. He has been dead for many years. I stand in his place, with death in my right hand, darkness in my left, and I would know who this is who bears the name Mephiston. So it is not just darkness that is running through my hands. It is knowledge. And one of the grains may be the one I seek.
The neither is non-space, and yet it has a place.
- Mephiston: Lord of Death

Once again, the similarity between the quotes is staggering. Mephiston's consciousness is swimming through a place he calls The Dark, "The embodiment of neither", which is not the Material Universe nor the Warp, neither real nor unreal, but a non-space of pure darkness.

This is genuinely puzzling to me, but it seems to be a recurring thing in recent Warhammer 40,000 Lore. There seems to be a realm outside both the Materium and the Warp, which fully transcends their dualism and conflicting concepts. It is nonexistence in its truest sense, not in the way the Warp "doesn't exist" as it is made of dreams and thoughts, but rather pure, absolute nothingness.

I have no idea what this entails for 40K at large, but it is intriguing to say the absolute least.

Related but unrelated: There seems to be a lot of arbitrary factors involved with 1-A. If transcending the concepts of time and space does not qualify, then what actually does? It's been consistently noted that it doesn't necessarily have to be a perspective thing above infinite dimensions, and my talk with Ant and DarkLK some months ago indicated that metaphysical stuff wasn't required for a character to be 1-A, just being physically dimensionless but not 0-dimensional. (Example: A Type IV multiverse is a hypothetical physical construct that, at its highest ends, via alternative physics under all possible maths, would yield aspatial and atemporal realms more complex than an infinite-D Hilbert Space, like null-set dimensional realities or inaccessible [as in Cantor sets] realities beyond all less complex physical attributes.)

Aeyu said:
Related but unrelated: There seems to be a lot of arbitrary factors involved with 1-A. If transcending the concepts of time and space does not qualify, then what actually does? It's been consistently noted that it doesn't necessarily have to be a perspective thing above infinite dimensions, and my talk with Ant and DarkLK some months ago indicated that metaphysical stuff wasn't required for a character to be 1-A, just being physically dimensionless but not 0-dimensional. (Example: A Type IV multiverse is a hypothetical physical construct that, at its highest ends, via alternative physics under all possible maths, would yield aspatial and atemporal realms more complex than an infinite-D Hilbert Space, like null-set dimensional realities or inaccessible [as in Cantor sets] realities beyond all less complex physical attributes.)
And thus would yield 1-A results?

I have no problem with 1-A 40K. Even if the quotes are being put under test by MatthewSchroeder :p

Hunterzillas said:
And thus would yield 1-A results?
well, depending on how 1-A is defined again (as Aeyu asked), I think we can get 1-A out of 40K gods.

chara with type-iv thing would indeed yield '1-A results' if I am not mistaken. Sadly no such example of a character exists in this wiki.

@Lucis

If you're referring to characters who exist in/atop a Type IV multiverse, Downstreamers are one, and I've advocated for their return to 1-A in the past.

There's a huge difference between transcending 4D time, and transcending time on a conceptual level, in which the creatures in eye of the warp are explicitly stated to unless they want to do otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back