• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

VSBW REVISION: EASY MOTION CALC GUIDE (PART 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnoldstone18

#1 Nero Enthusiast
Username Only
I'm not sure why this hasn't been added already there’s probably some weird reason out there, but I’ll keep it short since it's not controversial imo.

I want to include the linear speed equations on our calculations page, just because. It's a straightforward concept that probably many of us learned in high school.

The equations are as follows:

V = U + a * t

V^2 = U^2 + 2 * a * S

S = U * t + 0.5 * a * (t)^2

S = ((V + U) / 2) * t

In these equations:

• “V” represents the final velocity.
  • “U” represents the initial velocity (typically 0 if the object began moving from rest, but if you have the initial speed, you can use it).
  • “a” stands for the constant acceleration, which can also represent gravity if the object is falling straight down.
  • “t” represents the time the object moves.
  • “S” represents the distance the object needs to travel

If you have at least three out of the four variables, you can select an equation that accommodates those variables and includes the one you're looking to find. Then, you can solve for that variable for any straight line motion.

I already use this in calcs but it wouldn’t hurt to share what I (and probably many of us) know.

Therefore i propose we add this to the speed section of the Calc guide.

I hope to expand on the speed section with simple easy formulas and possibly guidelines for those formula’s use. This is all to help non-nerds like me.

agree: Don’tTalkDT, KingTempest
neutral:
disagree:

Last edited:
I'm not sure why this hasn't been added already there’s probably some weird reason out there, but I’ll keep it short since it's not controversial imo.

I want to include the linear speed equations on our calculations page, just because. It's a straightforward concept that probably many of us learned in high school.

The equations are as follows:

V = U + a * t

V^2 = U^2 + 2 * a * S

S = U * t + 0.5 * a * (t)^2

S = ((V + U) / 2) * t

In these equations:

• “V” represents the final velocity.
  • “U” represents the initial velocity (typically 0 if the object began moving from rest, but if you have the initial speed, you can use it).
  • “a” stands for the constant acceleration, which can also represent gravity if the object is falling straight down.
  • “t” represents the time the object moves.

If you have at least three out of the four variables, you can select an equation that accommodates those variables and includes the one you're looking to find. Then, you can solve for that variable for any straight line motion.

I already use this in calcs but it wouldn’t hurt to share what I (and probably many of us) know.

Therefore i propose we add this to the speed section of the Calc guide.

I hope to expand on the speed section with simple easy formulas and possibly guidelines for those formula’s use. This is all to help non-nerds like me.

agree:
neutral:
disagree:
The gravity case is more complicated, due to air resistance and only holding close to the ground.

That aside, if you do a proper write up I don't mind adding it. It would probably need a small note on when to assume linear acceleration and when not.

I believe we also don't use acceleration calculated this way for LS when a character just runs and stuff, so that might as well be mentioned too.

(You probably forgot to add a definition for S)

The gravity case is more complicated, due to air resistance and only holding close to the ground.

Air drag right?

drag = 0.5*ρ*v^2*A*Cd

I’ll probably just address this in another crt.

but yes it’ll apply only to objects close to the ground. From experience I know gravity from 80-100km changes by 3% which is like 9.5. I’ll incorporate that into my write up.

That aside, if you do a proper write up I don't mind adding it. It would probably need a small note on when to assume linear acceleration and when not.

On it!

I believe we also don't use acceleration calculated this way for LS when a character just runs and stuff, so that might as well be mentioned too.
Noted

You probably forgot to add a definition for S)
Oh shoot☠️

Thanks for the input everyone!

Will get around drafting the notes and showing it here for approval before adding.

I’ve been busy with other things.

Pretty sure we use this in some capacity or another?

I do remember a calc using it to find acceleration to find LS, maybe I could be wrong.

@Agnaa Yeah yeah, you got 20-30 threads in your backlog and you will come to this when you can, but still, add it to the backlog please?
@Agnaa

What do you think about this suggestion? Since DontTalk considers it acceptable, I do as well.
I currently have 37 threads in my "to-evaluate" backlog, I've added this to the list, and will get to it eventually.

(You probably forgot to add a definition for S)

Done!

What do you think?

Linear Motion Equations

Linear motion, often referred to as "rectilinear motion," is a one-dimensional motion along a straight line, and can be described mathematically using one spatial dimension. It's a fundamental concept in physics that many of us might have encountered during our high school years.

The primary equations governing linear motion are:

1. V=U+a×t
  2. V2=U2+2×a×S
  3. S=U×t+0.5×a×t2
  4. S=2(V+U)×t
Where:

• "V" represents the final velocity.
  • "U" represents the initial velocity. It's typically 0 if the object began moving from rest, but if you have the initial speed, you can use it.
  • "a" stands for the constant acceleration. This can also represent gravity if the object is falling straight down.
  • "t" represents the time the object moves.
  • "S" represents the distance covered.
These equations are versatile and can be applied to various scenarios. If you have at least three out of the four variables, you can select an equation that accommodates those variables and includes the one you're looking to find. Then, you can solve for that variable for any straight line motion.

Note that when considering the case of gravity, especially in scenarios where objects are falling towards the Earth, it's essential to acknowledge the complexities introduced by air resistance. Air resistance can significantly affect the motion of an object, especially if it's lightweight or has a large surface area. Moreover, the equations provided primarily hold true for motions close to the ground. As the altitude increases, factors like decreasing air density and gravitational variations can further complicate the calculations.

Last edited:
Actually, I think I'll take out the Air drag bit and present it in another thread regarding Force.

Edit: Done

If @DontTalkDT accepts this revision, it should be fine to apply.
Please open the page in question, so I can apply it.

Please open the page in question, so I can apply it.

I have done so.

Shouldn't we wait for a confirmation from DontTalk first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back