• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

VSBW Profile Standards (Staff Only)

@Agnaa

A cinematic movie would eventually be put on DVD and Blue Ray and eventually have a place in television. If I were to define a film though, I'd say a "feature film" in this case. So DVD original films are of course fair game Though, Sera's the film graduate.

Also, web series as in a television series but on the internet. A "webshow" as some call them. Official Internet shows if you will. Imagine Steven Universe for example, on an official website instead of Cartoon Network, still with its massive fanbase, canon story, meta-series functionality etc., it'd be no different wherever it's hosted.

Since I wouldn't think that a television series, actually requires it to be serialized (I wouldn't expect TV specials/one-offs to be banned), and since we don't distinguish between airing on TV and the internet, why couldn't something like a flash animation be considered a tv show one-off but on the internet?

Well, I suppose I can lead towards just "canon + notability" since that's basically what we've been doing, with minor exceptions like the Youtube fiasco which was a debate on illogically super-powered personas.

Though, what does that mean for Madness Combat? I have no clue.

On a site note, we have to deal with "non combat applicable characters" later since that too is highly controversial. I'll make a separate thread for that though.

Sera EX said:
On a site note, we have to deal with "non combat applicable characters" later since that too is highly controversial. I'll make a separate thread for that though.
>B R E A T H I N G<

VenomElite said:
@Agnaa

Flash animations are predominantly fan fiction sprite battles and stick fights. You can make exceptions for extraordinary ones, but that's about it.
@Agnaa ^this

@Andy

Honestly, I'm passed all that now. I think we should just roll with Agnaa's plan to save us all the extra headache.

@Crab

If it eases your anxiety, I personally think they should be permitted. "We're an indexing wiki" and all that. Yes, this includes a certain purple dinosaur. How they would be treated in vs matches though? That's up for debate.

Andytrenom said:
What does "extraordinary ones" even mean, rather how do you even judge something like that?
Flash animations that aren't fan fiction sprite battles or random stick fights.

VenomElite said:
Flash animations that aren't fan fiction sprite battles and random stick fights.
So something like Animator vs. Animatio wouldn't be allowed because it's a stick fight, despite its hundreds of millions of views?

Also, I only just remembered but it's important to point out, that the "Advertisement Profiles" thread was because a profile was made for The Burger King from an official video game, and me realizing that Old Spice has a flash game featuring its advertisement characters. Just omitting "advertisements" from the list of allowed mediums doesn't solve the recent advertisement-based verses issue.

@Agnaa

I didn't specify "random" stick fights? As in, literally just a bunch of sticks fighting with no canonicity behind it? If I didn't, I should've been clearer, my mistake.

If there's canon behind it, it should be fine especially with it's large audience.

Oh my bad, I didn't know what you meant by "random" there. I'm fine with fan fiction sprite battles and stick fights with no canonicity being disallowed.

We may need to be a bit stricter with stick animations though. Most of them have plain backgrounds and don't use any realistic weapons - so given that they're sticks and not humans, it's highly difficult to tier them properly without wanking. That is...unless we just plop them into 11-B. I'm not sure if we should be too liberal here with those specifically but I guess I'll just wait and see.

VenomElite said:
Wouldn't we just go by feats anyway?
Of course but how when they barely have anything to scale off but each other? Xiao Xiao easily swung a 100 ton hammer but other stick fights lack that entirely. It's almost pointless. Again, excluding notable examples where there's something logical to scale from.

@Andy

I agree. The stick series with actual effort to their story and canon will have actual backgrounds and be much easier to index.

Sera EX said:
since that's basically what we've been doing
To be honest, "what we've been doing" is kind of what brought us to this thread in the first place.

If that's what we're all deciding on, though, I'm greatly dissapointed as this marks another issue "compromised' to maintain the status quo due to exhaustion from debate. I'll talk to Agnaa on his proposal off-site to save everyone the walls of text, though.

Well, I definitely do not think that we should get looser regulations for what kind of profiles that are allowed than we already have.

Looking through tier 0 verses, I can't find any trademarks for The Dark Tower, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Cthulhu Mythos (the only trademarks are for clothing and tattoos, not for the verse itself), and Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou. If it's 4/8 verses in tier 0 I'm pretty sure we'd have to check through most verses in the site, if trademarks were the guideline we used.

P.S. I'm using this website to search, every other one has a much worse UI or restricts number of searches unless you pay.

Cthulhu Mythos is public domain. Umineko is most certainly copyrighted but keep in mind it's Japanese, it's not gonna have a "TM" slapped on anything not localized. Also, "TM" isn't the only form of copyright.

@Dargoo

You misunderstand, I just want to drop the copyright thing. That doesn't mean I'm compromising. I suggest we follow Ven's example and just outright define what verses we accept. For example, ACF clearly states that they only do anime/manga, visual novels, and light novels, etc.

I was kinda talking about DnW0 suggestion of using trademarks. Since, as you said, everything is copyrighted but not everything is trademarked, and you want to drop the copyright thing yourself.

I think some media are easier to put into useful categories than others. Anime/manga/VNs/LNs are pretty easy to define without letting any unfavorable verses in. But we want to allow stuff like novels, games, tv series, and cartoons, which opens itself up to allowing web novels, flash games, youtube series, and amateur animations.

Also, of course I'm exhausted from the debate. I want results. I'm not going to be sitting here on a mobile device arguing this for three more days, chief among all reasons being that my time is limited. I'll be taking a maternity leave soon, though I want to get all non-verse/CRT related things done. I do apologize if it seems like I'm rushing/compromising things. I know everyone else can be busy and Ant is very tired as well.

I would also appreciate if we could please collaborate to apply Sera's and Dargoo's suggestions for stricter and better defined standards regarding what should be allowed.

Staff only. We should only make exceptions for honorary staff and retired staff.

@Agnaa and Dargoo

Have you guys worked things out during your Discord discussion?

It might also help if somebody asks DontTalkDT and Ultima Reality to comment here. They are usually reliable when it comes to rational analysis.

Sera EX said:
@Agnaa and Dargoo

Have you guys worked things out during your Discord discussion?
Our Discord discussion was very barebones, it felt mostly like retreading old ground.

He asked me what my proposal was, I reiterated my notability criteria from above and explained it's pretty much what we've been doing previously, he asked me how I'd distinguish OCs, I repeated the notability criteria, he asked how Suggsverse fails that and suggested he'd find evidence that Suggsverse passes it.

I refuse to let this wiki devolve into an advertisement for the effing Suggsverse. Sorry.

I like to think that any talk of Suggsverse passing/failing standards is mostly used to determine how good the criteria is, since it should obviously not be allowed on, rather than a serious attempt to include it on the site.

The regression of progress in this thread is disturbing me. I'll ask Ultima to stop by but I'm not expecting much considering how argumentative everyone is.

Suggsverse isn't coming here, period. But with that out of the way, I do think Ultima Reality and DonTalkDT would be great choices, but I do know Ultima has been real busy. And his internet connection is often flawed from what I heard.

Well, it doesn't hurt to ask them, especially with Azathoth missing.

Back