• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I feel like "whataboutism" is losing its meaning and as a result, it's gradually enabling some people to be far more manipulative when arguments don't go their way.

As a result it's becoming a bit more common these days when a big CRT gets rejected or accepted, instead of there being an acceptable period of concession another CRT is posted not long afterwards with mostly the same recycled arguments but presented differently to deceptively make it look like it's new, then when the "new" CRT doesn't go the way the OP wants they post another CRT for a completely different verse just because the staff and/or users that disagreed with them just happened to support that said verse and when that ill-fated CRT goes awry then the OP tries to change site standards thus spiralling down into a cycle of spite, pettiness, moving the goalposts and other non-constructive behaviours which in turn completely distorts the very foundation of their initial arguments while draining everyone involved (potentially even exhausting users/staff to the point they no longer want to continue, thus allowing the OP to technically "win").

Not saying one issue necessarily goes into another (or always in the above mentioned order) but I've noticed that it's slowly becoming the "standard" in terms of debates instead of just conceding some people just happened to have different PoV on the same subject as you.

Also whataboutism was always just a nice way of saying "you're a punk" or "petty AF".

Feels like whataboutism is very tangentially related, at most just a small part of the gist of the rest of your rant.

Whataboutism is a legitimate fallacious argument that often derails discussion to heck by introducing irrelevant elements to the conversation.
Something like
"Black Clover's FTL ratings make no sense"
"But what about One Piece, they literally do the same thing"

People deceptively making the same CRT with a different skin, or creating a "revenge-CRT" is an entirely different and larger, more defined situation.
I think spite is often a bad thing but if the CRT is actually legitimate, that may supercede whatever personal feelings OP may had to an extent.

I honestly don't see it as much as, say, a year or two ago, but it's still incredibly annoying to see when it happens.

Like, cool, one verse does this too, but maybe that verse follows the standards rather smoothly and air-tightly, and the verse you're trying to revise doesn't go as well.

IDK if it's for better or for worse, but in the last years the site has become way less strict on tiering stuff.

I sure remember when even reaching tier 2 was heavily scrutinized, nowadays you can even push for tier 1 without that much controversy.

More or less depends on which verse actually is deserving of the ratings tbh

Though, frankly, with the overflow of Tier 1s I'm seeing right now, it's probably for worse lol

I believe Tier 2 just recently got revised somewhat? Mostly dumbing down a few 2-B/2-A things from branching timelines, iirc, but tbh, those threads are always such an incoherent mess to read so I generally don't follow the logic sometimes lol

It is mostly an outsider thing but I don't like it when people apply their wanked standards to one character but don't do the same to other characters.

If they somehow get a weakass character to shitouterhypermacronanomniversal, they won't apply the same logic to other characters. Most likely because they just want them to win rather than apply a consistent standard across all verses.

Creating even stricter standards for things that are already hard to get. This isn't always bad, like how characters who have a statement of transcending space-time, are in a verse with platonic concepts, or who are god tiers of their tier 1 verse no longer get instant tier 0. But then there's stuff like what happened to Type 5 Acausality, Dragon Ball completely overhauling Immeasurable speed standards, or a more recent example, that HDE CRT. There's no need to overcomplicate already complex things.

IDK if it's for better or for worse, but in the last years the site has become way less strict on tiering stuff.

I sure remember when even reaching tier 2 was heavily scrutinized, nowadays you can even push for tier 1 without that much controversy.
Some of the Tier 1 verses are obscure media or at media that isn't popular in battleboarding circles, or media that is huge and isn't easily accessible to verify. And some of these verses have very few supporters, with some of them being staff members.

Which pretty much results in making the entire thing difficult to verify or scrutinize, especially when it's a staff member and Ant goes "Well I generally trust this guy so I guess he's right?" (not that Ant's opinion decides anything all the time).

And like, it's already painful reading Lovecraft sometimes but it's an even bigger pain in the ass trying to verify all the stuff that you have to read the Dream Cycle. Then the discussion would revolve around Tier 1 terminologies that less than 1% of the site's population actually understand.

2 types of annoying people to discuss with

people who are barely coherent, can't use punctuation marks, can't format properly, all-in-all writes like someone smashed their head with a sledgehammer

people who writes walls of text full of nothing when their thoughts could be summarized in two sentences, which is also its own form of derailment. (even more annoying when these happen in blogs)

brevity is the soul of the wit

Creating even stricter standards for things that are already hard to get.
Honestly, I feel like this could be said pretty cleanly about Tier 2.

Obviously, Tier 2 should be difficult to get, but the specifications are honestly too much sometimes. I'm finding myself having to create a cosmology blog just to maintain my main verse's Low 2-C and 2-C ratings because of how much is actually needed. I remember there was, at some point, a CRT about making Tier 2 as a whole stricter to achieve, but I forgot where that actually went tbh

I personally consider Cosmology Blogs should be, at the very least, highly encouraged whenever a verse breaches above Low 2-C. But that's just me. It just adds to the believability of the verse's status.

Which reminds me of another thing that annoys me: people's obsession over fabricating cosmologies out of their asses to wank their verses.

people who writes walls of text full of nothing when their thoughts could be summarized in two sentences, which is also its own form of derailment. (even more annoying when these happen in blogs)
Truth
people who are barely coherent, can't use punctuation marks, can't format properly, all-in-all writes like someone smashed their head with a sledgehammer
Nah 😴

I have several. One being scaling gaps. I don't agree with massive jumps in arcs, between forms or characters that dont accurately portray what happens in the actual show just because people dont want multiple characters to scale. I think android 17 is a good example from dbs. I care more about on screen accuracy than the fear of creating a bunch of upgrades.

Another i think i dont like is the inconsistency of what scales and what does not. Character A doesnt get killed by an attack. Scales because of it. In some other series or maybe even that same one, character B has the same situation of not getting killed but its an anti feat. This creates a situation where i'll just use my own judgement to determine what scales to what. I have also seen weird things like scratching your opponent scales you but sometimes its an anti feat. I seen characters hurt characters and it not scaling. In some other series same thing happens on a lesser scale but scales somehow.

Only other thing i can think of is tiers constantly jumping. Im not a calculator so i unfortunately cant us vsb as a source in a debate because i'll say a character is 6-B, next month it says 7-B. Then month after that High 6-A. Then back to 6-B. As much as i like vsb and would love to give it credit it doesnt give me much to work with outside of it. So i end up having to use my own judgement most of the time. What they do that is great though, vsb is great at finding key details in lore or story that could drastically change a characters tier. So i mainly use vsb for that. If there's a feat i looked over vsb likely snatched it. People are pretty good at finding the not so obvious shit.

Another is the existence of staff only threads for a series. In important discussions regarding the vsb tier system sure, but otherwise no. Though i haven't opened this site in a looong time so i have no idea if anything changed regarding that or anything i said above.

Only things i could think of. I do know one of those points are uncontrollable such as tier jumping. I see 43 pages so im sure this thread has derailed. From what i understand a pet peeve is just stuff that annoys you. So i think i did it right. They're minor as i dont lose sleep over em. shrug

2 types of annoying people to discuss with

brevity is the soul of the wit
Never debate me because I'm both at the same time

Problem is how would this fight work exactly?

hippos can’t swim actually and great white shark can’t be on land or in fresh water like the hippos do
Hippos don't need to swim tbh, regardless the fact not even Nile Crocs and Lions will mess with them (unless incredibly desperate and even then it's a losing MU) says it all meanwhile Great White Sharks have to directly compete with arguably the second most dangerous apex predator on the planet (Orca's) who consider shark livers a delicacy although it's still impressive they can still survive in their niche despite the harsh competition.

Problem is how would this fight work exactly?

hippos can’t swim actually and great white shark can’t be on land or in fresh water like the hippos do
I know. Though even if we were to give it some kind of psudo area where this match could somehow work Hippos would still probably take this. Like they can casually kill Crocodile who are comparable enough to GWS, there's nothing stoping the Hippo to just draging the shark on to land or whatever.

Sharks have way better mobility, they speedblitz.
7daa445890e347b2f44ae25695fc73865a03ce7651a098f4914ed76c8b19ed19_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back