• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Upgrading Raikou's speed?

Ok so I have a suggestion. Instead of basing Raikou's speed on a NarutoForums calc based on game mechanics for the roaming Legendary Beast trio, Raikou's speed should be equal to the speed of lightning. Even the NF blog where Raikou's Mach 170ish speed comes from admits that the PokeDex entry states that Raikou is the embodiment of the speed of lightning.

That's quite a bit higher than the current ranking, I think, so I don't want to just change it without input. And for the record I don't think it should have to scale to anyone other than Raikou. Each Legendary Beast is an embodiment of a force of nature. Raikou is the speed of lightning, Entei is volcanic eruptions, and Suicune is... the North Wind. I don't think there's anything wrong with Raikou having the speed advantage.

Sigh. I'll bite.

The Dog Trio, like the Bird Trio, is confirmed to being equals in the Lore - so no, they should be about the same.

Aparajita said:
Sigh. I'll bite.
The Dog Trio, like the Bird Trio, is confirmed to being equals in the Lore - so no, they should be about the same.
Can you provide a reason for why Raikou wouldn't be the fastest of the three being the incarnation of the speed of lightning? They may be part of a trio and have an equal base stat total, but Raikou even in game stats has the highest speed stat. Raikou has the highest speed and special attack, Entei has the highest health and physical attack, and Suicune has the highest physical defense and special defense.

Which again makes sense given what they represent. Raikou is the speed of lightning and has thunderclouds on his back. Entei is literally a volcanic eruption with smoke clouds on his back. Suicune is the North Wind, purifies polluted water, and has a flowing rain cloud on his back. Speed, bulk, defense. I'm not arguing for the other two to be downgraded, I'm arguing for Raikou to be upgraded in speed.

Except Gamefreak, the source of Canon, states that the three dogs are equal. If Gamefreak says that Slowpoke is MFTL+ with universal destructive feats, than he is. Gamefreak created the series and can say whatever they'd like to about it, Outlier or not.

Aparajita said:
Except Gamefreak, the source of Canon, states that the three dogs are equal. If Gamefreak says that Slowpoke is MFTL+ with universal destructive feats, than he is. Gamefreak created the series and can say whatever they'd like to about it, Outlier or not.

I'm going by in-game lore. Each member embodies a different aspect from nature on top of symbolizing the destruction of the tower they died in. Yes, they're equal in base stat total, but their stats are distributed differently. As I said, Raikou is the fastest stat-wise. And yes that's game mechanics but it still speaks to the fact that they each specialize in different fields.

I'm not doubting that Gamefreak said what you're claiming but do you have a direct quote? Because I would think that the games themselves would count as the primary canon. The PokeDex states what each one embodies. Raikou is the speed of lightning, Entei is the passion of magma, and Suicune is the North Wind. Raikou is the fastest, Entei is the strongest, and Suicune is defensive.

No game mechanics to argue for stat changes to use in vs battle. If we do that, Gachomp is Multi-Universal and Pickachu is sub-relativistic. It's entirely unrealistic and not to be trusted.

TheMightyRegulator said:
No game mechanics to argue for stat changes to use in vs battle. If we do that, Gachomp is Multi-Universal and Pickachu is sub-relativistic. It's entirely unrealistic and not to be trusted.
^ this, because pokemon can one shot Arecus based off level difference, type advantage, ect, when that's simply not possible with Arecus being the creator.

We use Pokedex entries to balance out what we already know - Raikou is the fastest of the dog trio, but is on the same level as Entei and Suicune.

I do want to correct myself, I accidently posted the mach speed of light rather than of lightning (mach 291.94449). It would still be a almost twice Raikou's current speed of mach 170. Which ironically enough IS based on game mechanics. The Legendary Beast trio roam the map in the games and in lore, but in the games their location changes when yours changes, making their distance from you complete luck/chance. Those are game mechanics to make it harder for you to find them. So I'd wager basing Raikou's speed off lightning when he is the literal embodiment of its speed is a better choice than the NarutoForums calc based on game mechanics.

So just to be clear, I am not trying to use game mechanics, actually the opposite. I'm using the lore to derrive Raikou's speed as it states it to embody the speed of lightning. Much like we derrive Entei's power from his representing magma and making volcanoes erupt with his roars. The point about stats was me pointing out that the only time I know for fact that they're equal is in base stat total, which even then is only a total of unevenly distributed stats.

Speaking of which, if we apply the same standard to the fellow beasts, Entei could get an upgrade in power. Entei embodies the passion of magma. When he roars volcanoes erupt. The most powerful eruption in history was from Mt. Tambora at 800 megatons. That would raise Entei from "at least city" to large city/mountain.

Suicune represents the North Winds... which I got nothing for. :/

Iustitia Prime said:
Speaking of which, if we apply the same standard to the fellow beasts, Entei could get an upgrade in power. Entei embodies the passion of magma. When he roars volcanoes erupt. The most powerful eruption in history was from Mt. Tambora at 800 megatons. That would raise Entei from "at least city" to large city/mountain.
I could agree with that one.

Upon reading more into this the speed of lighting is 220,000 mph going downward but rockets up to 220,000,000 mph when returning back up to the sky. That means mach 286.731195 to mach 286,731.195335. So if we accept Raikou embodying "the speed of lightning" then his speed would vastly outclass the Legendary Birds. It could possibly scale to the other Legendary Beasts (Raikou is still the fastest) and Ho-oh who created them. It would actually give Ho-oh a quasi-feat that doesn't require scaling off Lugia who have no real relation outside of game covers.

Off topic but I hate how Ho-oh got the shaft and Lugia got all the spotlight. I loved the second movie but Ho-oh gets no love.

Back