• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular opinions.

Dr doom is no that interesting. I don`t get why people think he is some honorable the dude sacrificed his lover,sent franklin richards to hell and now blew up a universe because his version was friends with richards no to mention all the deaths he did. Even if his rule is good there is still a lack of freedom. Doom reminds me of a quote.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”​

It's not exactly that, though that can be a reason too. Sometimes Lovecraft's idea of horror is dated compared to modern times and isn't exactly as scary for some. Though ironically these stories work exactly because of how Lovecraft writes.
Yeah, that's right, HPL's Horror must've aged at least a bit.

But due to to Lovecraft's Poetic language and the story itself, it aged really good.

But due to to Lovecraft's Poetic language and the story itself, it aged really good.
This is also what I'm talking about.
The poetic language is certainly a great thing for those who likes Lovecraft's works, but it's not for everyone. His writing style itself can be a turn-off for a lot of people, and hell even his fandom do complain about it especially with certain wordy stories. It's just how it is.

Though at this point I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. Just saying it.

Eh maybe it's just me, but even if Lovecraft's style of horror isn't perfect I think it's infinitely more scary then most horror these days. Like with the constant slew of ghosts, demons, serial killers, stalkers and whatever kind of monsters cinema and fiction use Lovecraft in himself is a fresh breath of air as cosmic horror and the message of your existence being miniscule and insignificant next to much higher entities viewing you as a mosquito is much more intimidating then any ghost, demon or whatever horror archetype is used these days

Lovecraft's poetic Language is also a problem for some people huh? I can understand why tho, you have to read HPL's works multiple times to actually understand what he's trying to say.

I still like his work nonetheless

Speaking of stuff that's overused today, I find the trope of: "Thses superheroes are actually huge assholes! Wow, It's so dark, grotty and murdery! Super revolutionary!"

That whole genre is boring as hell ngl

Yeah, it absolutely doesn't feel like people publishing their edgy 14 year old versions of how a "realistic" superman would be.

Speaking of stuff that's overused today, I find the trope of: "Thses superheroes are actually huge assholes! Wow, It's so dark, grotty and murdery! Super revolutionary!"

Honestly, this. Half the time it comes off as very try hard edginess.

̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶ ̶o̶̶n̶̶l̶̶y̶ ̶e̶̶x̶̶c̶̶e̶̶p̶̶t̶̶i̶̶o̶̶n̶ ̶i̶̶s̶ ̶W̶̶a̶̶i̶̶d̶̶'̶̶s̶ ̶I̶̶r̶̶r̶̶e̶̶d̶̶e̶̶e̶̶m̶̶a̶̶b̶̶l̶̶e̶

Agreed

Modern Day horror being oversaturared isn't exactly an unpopular opinion, but you have a point.

Lovecraftian horror also isn't exactly rare. While his way of writing isn't exactly adopted, his concepts and ideas are very popular these days, ranging from actual existential dread (The Endless), typical big monster (Underwater), more "human" approach (Cold Skin, Spring 2014 film), or even a more modern spin (The Room 2019 film). Though there are those typical tentacle stuff too.

I think it's because people just can't understand the idea that there are people like Superman who have great power yet want to use such power for only good, and so they create "realistic" versions of the character like Homelander, Omni Man or Brightburn

What I dislike the most is that, these characters don't need to exist when Ultraman is literally there. The crime syndicates exists for a reason.

Also, realism kills fiction. Change my mind

I think it's because people just can't understand the idea that there are people like Superman who have great power yet want to use such power for only good, and so they create "realistic" versions of the character like Homelander, Omni Man or Brightburn
Omni man ain't that bad tbh, tho I've only seen the Amazon show and not the comic itself

Jojo Part 6 is actually pretty good
Homestuck^2 and the Homestuck Epilogues don’t suck, they are just a shadow of Homestuck. Otherwise, pretty good.
I don’t like what they are doing with the yearly commander decks, I want the commanders to come from different planes

1: Visual novels are hella boring and so are light novels.
2: Anything above hyperversal is boring, especially 1-A and higher which is literally just a dick measuring contest.
3: 90% of extremely haxed verses are poorly written, especially Anos and slime.
4: Isekai genre is utter garbage. You actually have to turn your brain off to enjoy isekai animes.
5: MHA is extremely overrated and so is black clover.
6: Dragon Ball isn't a bad anime (super was a lil shit though) people just shit on it for the bandwagon.
7: High School DxD is a shit anime, I just don't like any part of it.
8: Chinese novels and manwhas (idk how you spell it) is the epitome of garbage, I genuinely don't know how people can sit down and read a thousand chapters of unhinged writings.
9: Novel characters (especially light novel/webnovel) have shit designs. They have a basic structure and the personality of a ******** slug.
10: Randomly killing off characters for the shock value doesn't make the story any good (CHAINSAW MAN!!!)
11: Having a op mc from the start more than not signals a boring anime.
12: Webtoons are trash.
13: solo leveling is overhyped steaming pile of elephant shit.
14: Watching mainstream anime only doesn't mean you have bad taste.
15: Monster was pretty boring.

In that note, June Egbert is a pretty terrible idea that does more to upset John's existing character development and cause controversy than it does to give actual trans representation.

8: Chinese novels and manwhas (idk how you spell it) is the epitome of garbage, I genuinely don't know how people can sit down and read a thousand chapters of unhinged writings.
yeah. They are way to long and fall under these category
Reverse cultivator. Some guy becomes a cultivator and then travels back in time. There is always betrayal from the guys current girlfriend. Randon flex.
Cultivator story. Guys gets treated like shit gets a cheat and continues on

You lost me there
5845cd230b2a3b54fdbaecf7.png

I disagree with the Hyperversal and above tier verse thing being boring, I get what you're trying to say but I think the tier of a verse does not determine the quality of that verse's writing. For example, IMO I think Lucifer and The Sandman are examples of higher tier verses with very good writing and likeable characters.

1: Visual novels are hella boring and so are light novels.
2: Anything above hyperversal is boring, especially 1-A and higher which is literally just a dick measuring contest.
3: 90% of extremely haxed verses are poorly written, especially Anos and slime.
4: Isekai genre is utter garbage. You actually have to turn your brain off to enjoy isekai animes.
5: MHA is extremely overrated and so is black clover.
6: Dragon Ball isn't a bad anime (super was a lil shit though) people just shit on it for the bandwagon.
7: High School DxD is a shit anime, I just don't like any part of it.
9: Novel characters (especially light novel/webnovel) have shit designs. They have a basic structure and the personality of a ******** slug.
10: Randomly killing off characters for the shock value doesn't make the story any good (CHAINSAW MAN!!!)
11: Having a op mc from the start more than not signals a boring anime.
12: Webtoons are trash.
13: solo leveling is overhyped steaming pile of elephant shit.
14: Watching mainstream anime only doesn't mean you have bad taste.
15: Monster was pretty boring.
1. This is like saying books are boring, but ok I suppose.
2. Not particularly unpopular, but you have a point.
3. I mean you can dislike these verses but saying it's "poorly written" means there is some sort of objective standard being followed. I suppose it is an unpopular opinion I guess.
4. Very popular opinion.
5. Very popular opinion.
6. At least not an unpopular opinion.
8. This is kinda like saying all manga are garbage. It's absurd generalization. Though what's crazy is that these kind of generalization does happen pretty often.
9. Another generalization. This is a bit of a new one for me though.
10. This might be an unpopular opinion, due to how much Chainsaw Man fans are gonna bitch on you for saying this lol
11. Not really unpopular
12. Another generalization.
13. You can preach to a certain crowd with this one
14. Not really unpopular. Funny enough you can change the word "watching mainstream anime" to "reading webtoons/manhwa/novels" and it'll be the same thing
15. Well, not really popular but people won't raise pitchforks with this either.

Do note that I'm not dunking on you with this response, necessarily.
But a lot of stuff posted here are more of a controversial opinion than an unpopular one (they do overlap a lot though).

Back