• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

how bro felt after saying this
GLh9igrWIAAIXG0.png

I haven't reached the point where you see Arch-viles frequently, I only encountered them once (I'm at The Inmost Dens) but they seem pretty powerful
Good thing is I had a bfg there so I didn't burn too much health
Honestly Arachnotrons don't bother me too much, only when I'm getting jumped and they're spamming projectiles do I really get annoyed with them. Rest I agree with 100% though
Actually Chaingunners and Archviles would be your top two most dangerous concerns in Doom. Archviles are guaranteed to hit you in an arena with no cover at ANY distance it can target you if you're unable to kill them off fast enough and Chaingunners can whittle down your health the fastest at mid to short range.

Pain Elementals come in just after these guys given how they spawn Lost Souls to harass you as an attack. Revenants's homing projectiles are also by far the scariest projectile to deal with in the game, with only the Mancubus's Fireballs dealing full damage to you close up being able to match that.

Actually Chaingunners and Archviles would be your top two most dangerous concerns in Doom. Archviles are guaranteed to hit you in an arena with no cover at ANY distance it can target you if you're unable to kill them off fast enough and Chaingunners can whittle down your health the fastest at mid to short range.

Pain Elementals come in just after these guys given how they spawn Lost Souls to harass you as an attack. Revenants's homing projectiles are also by far the scariest projectile to deal with in the game, with only the Mancubus's Fireballs dealing full damage to you close up being able to match that.
Hitscanners are definitely the most annoying. The others may also be really irritating, but at least I can deal with them without getting a ton of my health taken.
Like at least I can stop the Lost Souls from getting to me when a Lost Soul is at mid range. Can't stop hitscanners from shooting me most of the time

Hitscanners are definitely the most annoying. The others may also be really irritating, but at least I can deal with them without getting a ton of my health taken.
Like at least I can stop the Lost Souls from getting to me when a Lost Soul is at mid range. Can't stop hitscanners from shooting me most of the time
That's why Archviles and Chaingunners are your biggest concerns.

They're the worst hitscan foes to deal with at every corner.

I wouldn't listen to anyone that said "Go touch grass, power scaling is bad, blah blah, blah" while they themselves are arguing whether can this guy win against another guy, in this forum.
I think it's good advice but only for people who spend most of their time powerscaling on forums like this.
Cutting down on how much time you spend on the internet is very important, and I wish I could do it.

I mean... I don't think we should just dismiss visuals, art direction, presentation and animation in an audiovisual medium
You don't need to have amazing looking visuals, art direction, presentation and animation in order to be a good or even a great show.

Look at shows like Jimmy Neutron or Spongebob Squarepants.

You don't need to have amazing looking visuals, art direction, presentation and animation in order to be a good or even a great show.

Look at shows like Jimmy Neutron or Spongebob Squarepants.
Can't speak for Jimmy Neutron, but I'd argue that Spongebob does have a very good presentation with its unique and very recognizable designs and setting and the comedy is very well animated. It also brings to mind old cartoons like Looney Toons or especially Tom and Jerry, which used a lot of visual gags and humor.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think it visuals can be just put aside as a non-factor, even if writting is the core, all elements make a package. Even books have the prose.

Speaking of Spongebob I hate how absolutely soulless the show is now.
It's so ridiculously unfunny and cringe it's actually painful sometimes.
This episode is a good showcase of what I mean:

The quality of the animation in a show should not determine the quality of said show. At all.
More shows should be made with stop motion/claymation. Not super polished stop motion like in Starship Troopers, I'm talking rough and dirty; the quality is trash but Vordun: Price of Death is a great example of extreme talent working with deliberately low resources to still produce something very good.

More of that, I say.

Too bad it took away the 🌈imagination🌈 away

Spongebob is so ass now.

One thing that really rubbed me the wrong way in later seasons was the huge increase in both grossout and mean spirited humor.
There's already terms for it too
It's THAT bad

There's already terms for it too
It's THAT bad
Good Neighbors was hilarious though, crucify me for that sentiment

Good Neighbors was hilarious though, crucify me for that sentiment
In that episode, they at least actually felt sorry for what they did, and try to offer alternatives to Squidward and even help him get back in out of their own volition.
Though they were, as they always are in later seasons, creepy stalkers at first, I can respect them trying genuinely to cheer up Squidward.
And on a completely different note, I just remembered The Loud House exists. God, what a dog shit show. Worse part is this trash is actually getting movies and spinoffs too

Back