• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

UnOrdinary Discussion Thread

Do you mean hollow story wise or hollow in that it would be more better for him as a person?

Story wise in makes perfect sense to act that way but yes it would be better for him to handle thing differently.

That's one of my two main issues with John, he doesn't have self control at all. He has power, but doesn't know how to properly use it. He only seems to think it overwhelms others, but it should in fact be used to regulate others and be a way for people to find some sort of common ground or to unite others. I am not one for hitting girls, but both girls deserved something. Maybe he could have been a bit less brutal in terms of not hitting them as hard, but still.

I am not one to just accept everything John does. I remember the Unordinary Discord and the reason why I left it. John has been through shit yes, but that doesn't mean we he gets a pass to do brutalize someone. What someone has done to him is not an excuse.

I agree with you fully but in a society where just existing gets you pummeled to the ground I find it very difficult for anybody to keep their composure for so long. At some point standing up for yourself needs to take priority (controlled of course).

I wonder what John would think if he was ever saved by a super hero? That could be a funny turn of events. Or if X-Rei (Remi) saves Sera and that changes John's thoughts on Super Heroes or using his powers in a productive way (instead of being afraid of them).

I think a superhero seeing John beating people to a near-death state and challenging him to a fight would be more of a shell shocker for him. His dad wrote a book entirely dedicated to the correct way to use power and the idea of a super hero, heck.

Eh that would probably make John think back to how he used to be at New Bostin, also I doubt a hero is ever going to challenge him.

We also don't know of any heroes aside from Remi. And they may be in hiding because of Ember.

I agree with Dragon. I don't think it's right to excuse John for everything he's done. At the same time, being beat every single day just because you exist is something not entirely unimaginable. Being treated like you're less than just because of how you're born. I'm sure many people here have had such an experience in abundance. And having those with power, or a ruling power constantly subjugate you and telling the victim that it's their fault they're being victimized does wonders on the psyche. In particular for John who has the ability to help those whom are actually crippled (like his father I believe), but struggles so much to not be like those who have power similar to him that he finds himself in this dark place. Using his power means admitting that he's like them, which is a short-sighted way of looking at it and means he didn't pick up what his father was putting down.

It's actually why I criticize Remi more than John. Remi was content just watching the bad stuff going on around her, despite having power. Or perhaps not content, but she had no plans on doing anything about it. Her hero mission, despite her genuinely wanting to help people, isn't about helping people, but getting revenger for her brother, who probably would much rather her sister keep herself and her friends safe. I give John some credit as he actually took an action, made himself seem crippled to not be like those he hates. Though ignoring a part of his identity seems to be destroying him mentally. I really hope he can accept himself for who he is and see that just because he shares similarities with those in power, doesn't mean he has to be the exact same as then. Two people can have the same power and yet use it entirely differently simply because of varying experiences, families, friends, personality types, genders, etc.

Overall though, I really like where the story is going thus far.

Why does it say that John can't keep abilities he's copied after deactivating his ability?

He still has stone skin from Episode 1

Mickey1940 said:
Why does it say that John can't keep abilities he's copied after deactivating his ability?
He still has stone skin from Episode 1
If you look at his stat pictures from later episodes, he loses the stats associated with the powers he replicates once he's done using them. He also has not demonstrated any of the powers he dupes after he deactivates his powers.

He's never demonstrated Stone Skin from what I am aware of. If you're talking about this, that's Zeke's Phase Shift, which while it has similar properties to Stone Skin, is a different ability. Heck, he wasn't even using his powers when he was exposed to Stone Skin.

Also, new powers for John:

Regenerationn (At least Mid-Low), Another form of Energy Projection (Missiles), and Explosion Manipulation.

Lol, I've been keeping tabs on his abilities, but have been too lazy to actually add them.

Yet I'm likely going to end up making more Gash Bell pages in the next two to three days. So meh.

Question:

How does classifying abilities he has copied by arc sound? Like he tends to get around three or four powers before resetting by deactivating his power, so when we use him in a fight we can specify which powerset John has out of what he's shown.

Seems fine so far. Though it might get tedious to separate it as the series goes on. He's the main character, and bound to have a lot of fights. Separating it by each one might be a handful. Especially since he's used Arlo's barrier two to three different times.

Perhaps his ability set being specified in his fights might just be a better idea. Since his weaknesses already says that he doesn't retain his abilities after deactivating his powers.

That seems fair.

Heck, on the battles he already has, it's specified it was his powers from his fight with Arlo. I'll just point people to this thread if they ask about allowing him powers.

How is this (And I'll organize it on his powers/abilities too).

Note: John Doe does not retain abilities he copies after he deactivates his power. When making a versus thread with him, please specify which set of powers he is using from what fight, or if he starts with no set of powers.

Yeah, these guys...I feel nothing for and don't really care about what happens to them...except death.

Honestly lol, these guys are messed up. They kidnapped who was the strongest person in the school because she got crippled out of some sense of fear. Sera didn't even do anything to them when she was strong.

Which is a bad thing.

Just because John is going to be the one who finds Seraphina and save her doesn't change the fact that he only found her because while he was running around beating up everyone he saw, someone walked up and literally gave him the answer. Meanwhile Arlo was actually trying to find her in a way that wasn't just a thinly veiled excuse for him to vent his anger issues.

Yeah, Arlo kind of messed up. Telling the super strong dude who's clearly got some issues to go solve his own problems was a big mistake.

Arlo messed up by bringing out that side of him in general. He took advantage of him being vulnerable and of John really trying to be a nice guy.

Though John seriously needs some counselors.

Arlo didn't take advantage of him though. Honestly, John was trying to take advantage of Arlo and expected him to be able to do everything instead of keeping an eye on his friend that he KNEW was being targeted. This is kinda more of John's fault than Arlo's.

Not taking advantage, I understand that John should have been there. I'm just saying, Arlo also knows that John has problems. Lol, it was funny when he was just thinking about how messed up all of the other high tiers were.

I guess so. But at the same time, John seemed to genuinely want to trust Arlo once Seraphina was gone. And then Arlo used Ventus and Melli to draw out John's anger. I can't really blame John for Arlo literally getting two other students to beat him to a pulp. Arlo did take advantage of John trusting him in that instance.

Arlo is also sick of John's shit though. John is being very smart here. He expects Arlo to be at his beck and call which he should already know is not the case as despite John being stronger, Arlo is not afraid of him and won't just listen to him. And Arlo is getting sick of John doing nothing. The issue is, John is doing something, but he's being a madman while doing so. Something he mentally know he doesn't have to do. This is proven by the fact that he can blatantly stop is listen to someone. Meaning he is in a mindset in which he can freely communicate.

Litentric Teon said:
I guess so. But at the same time, John seemed to genuinely want to trust Arlo once Seraphina was gone. And then Arlo used Ventus and Melli to draw out John's anger. I can't really blame John for Arlo literally getting two other students to beat him to a pulp. Arlo did take advantage of John trusting him in that instance.
The whole Arlo situation is pretty irrelevant here though. We are far past that, and John is putting all his eggs in one basket assuming Arlo will do whatever he pleases or assumes he's this omnipresent being who sees all and knows all.

I meant initially, when Arlo literally got Ventus and Melli to beat John to a pulp. I didn't mention anything after that because I don't disagree with you there.

I mean, Seraphina seems to be John's trigger. He didn't really communicate with Cecile. Just kinda heard Seraphina, stopped, and then followed her once he realized she has info. He didn't say a word at all, lol. And while Arlo is handling things 'the right way', I still can't say that he's really in the right because of what he initially did. And because of how he constantly abuses his power to do things like bully Isen for information. And upholding an inherently wrong system simply to maintain order. While maintain order is reasonable, his means of doing so, and his neglect of those below him I don't think can be ignored.

No one is really doing 'the right thing' in this comic, lol. Except for the author.

Back