• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Universal Energy Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff evaluations. AKM and Prome still strongly disagree, and DontTalk hasn't had time to evaluate it yet.
AKM's reasonings for disagreement have been taken into account to rectify the draft and his recommended guidelines have since been added. So basically it's really only Prom with the disagreements at this point.

So yeah, we're just waiting for DontTalk to evaluate it right now, he seems to be busy with the Demon King Daimao revisions ATM.

I don't think it's up to you to decide whether someone's reasons for disagreement have been properly taken into account. AKM should be the one calling that after reviewing the doc again.

I don't think it's up to you to decide whether someone's reasons for disagreement have been properly taken into account. AKM should be the one calling that after reviewing the doc again.
Alright. I can wait for that. But Ant wants to hear DontTalk's evaluation first before messaging AKM and Prom again.

Yes. Let's wait for DontTalk, and then AKM and Promestein.

If the others are not interested, or are taking a break, I obviously cannot force them to help out here.

@AKM sama @Promestein @DontTalkDT

We would appreciate some help here when you find the time.
It seems DontTalkDT is still busy with the Demon King Daimao revisions. He'll most likely be able to respond here once that is finished.

In any case, I'd suggest waiting until then, they've already been tagged, I am sure they will eventually notice it.

Okay. Let's wait then.

I am starting to wonder if our notifications system has stopped working though, as I usually do not get any responses from using it nowadays, which is disastrous for our organisation. Would you two be willing to help me check if it works properly, by verifying if anything happens after I send a notification to you?

Okay. Let's wait then.

I am starting to wonder if our notifications system has stopped working though, as I usually do not get any responses from using it nowadays, which is disastrous for our organisation.
Yeah, I've been having this issue, if I send anyone messages on their wall in this Forum, eventually I stop getting new notifications on replies. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (For example, some of these issues persisted every time I sent DontTalk any message, it works for a while then stops, same thing happened with Armor when I sent him a message or two. But when I sent AKM messages, it worked completely fine).

Would you two be willing to help me check if it works properly, by verifying if anything happens after I send one to you?
Sure thing.

I've had the same issues
Like sometimes I don't get notifications for the MCU Discussions thread

Ok, so reading through this thread, this means that works with a specific energy syatem like Genjutsu, will be useless now, no? Tbf if that's the case, I wholeheartdly agree.

I've had the same issues
Sometimes when I click on it, it takes me to the correct comment, sometimes it doesn't and I jump to the very first page. Also happens when I click on the latest comment from the forum home page, often at times I don't get sent to the latest comment and its page but rather I jump entirely to the first page.

Ok, so reading through this thread, this means that works with a specific energy syatem like Genjutsu, will be useless now, no? Tbf if that's the case, I wholeheartdly agree.
Take haxxes to another thread pls, we already have a staff thread for that. And even then this isn't about Verse equalization, so this issue is irrelevant here.

That's not exactly relevant to this thread, like Gilver said, that'd be hax-related.

Plus we have different rules for Verse Equalization that are vastly different from this thread's purposes.

Works in the thread comments. But I run into issues when someone replies to me in the message walls.
I've had the same issues
Sometimes when I click on it, it takes me to the correct comment, sometimes it doesn't and I jump to the very first page. Also happens when I click on the latest comment from the forum home page, often at times I don't get sent to the latest comment and its page but rather I jump entirely to the first page.
Well, the old standard problems with notifications can be handled by bookmarking the following page. The threads in bold text have new replies to them.

Or are these new problems? There was a system update for this forum 1-2 days ago.

Not familiar but if it's hax that's it's own thing
This is more deciding guidelines for how we can analyze what powers can be applied to physicals

Not familiar but if it's hax that's it's own thing
This is more deciding guidelines for how we can analyze what powers can be applied to physicals
I don't mean physicals, I mean Hax which are only shown to work on specific energy systems, like Genjutsu Who only works on Chakra users, for example.

I saw it, but is there also a thread regarding the Hax that use a specific type of energy?, you know, things like, if Genjutsu would work on non Chakra users..., the thread you sent me speaks more about Hax scaling, but that's not what I was talking about.

I don't mean physicals, I mean Hax which are only shown to work on specific energy systems, like Genjutsu Who only works on Chakra users, for example.
That would be handled separately via the Verse Equalization and Hax standards, and these are handled on a case-by-case basis. And just like that they are different from this thread's purpose.

This thread's purpose is to determine when and how a universal power source in play can be used to scale superpowers/magic/any unique supernatural ability to one's physical bodily strength, speed and durability. It's not meant for determining on what kind of people said hax can and can't work on.

That would be handled separately via the Verse Equalization and Hax standards, and these are handled on a case-by-case basis. And just like that they are different from this thread's purpose.

This thread's purpose is to determine when and how a universal power source in play can be used to scale superpowers/magic/any unique supernatural ability to one's physical bodily strength, speed and durability. It's not meant for determining on what kind of people said hax can and can't work on.
Ah I see, sorry for misunderstanding

At a glance at the proposal in the Doc linked in the OP, my first impression is that the proposal is weirdly specific.

I mean, what is the purpose of the page? My assumption would be that it inherently seeks to explain either:
1. Under which circumstances supernatural feats of power can be taken to scale to a users physical abilities, based on using the same kind of energy.
or
2. Under which circumstances a feat can be scaled to a stat it is not directly associated with (e.g. creation feat to AP or AP feat to Striking Strength) based on the fact that the feat employs the same kind of energy.

2 would be a more general version of 1.

However, the rules are somewhat restrictive if that is the purpose.
To give an example: Imagine a verse of magicians, but there is a single character that can use Chi and magic. Chi is not very relevant for the verses lore, as this is only a random side character. That character has a feat of firing a Chi-blast of 7-A proportions (using no magic of course). That character also has a move in which he channels Chi to enhance his punch and, in one instance, is shown to throw such a punch using more Chi as he has ever before, including for the 7-A Chi-blast. Hence we reason that the punch is 7-A in physical Attack Potency/Striking Strength (And through that to durability, given Newton's Third).

That character:
  • Can't channel power through physical objects
  • Doesn't draw on the same power for all their abilities, as it also uses magic
  • Doesn't draw upon a common source of power in the verse
  • Doesn't use a source of power for this feat that is tightly integrated into lore and it doesn't underpin the verse's metaphyiscal mechanics
  • The removal of the power source isn't necessarily a dramatic loss as his magic could be even stronger
However, the reasoning it uses for applying the Chi-blast potency to Physical Stats is fundamentally the same as what we aim for when talking about Universal Power Systems.
Now, I'm aware that not all of these are necessary properties (even if the draft could be more clear on that), but I'm really not sure how a character using only one type of energy or one type of energy being common to many people in the verse would really support the scaling idea we are talking about any further.
Basically, I have a feeling the draft takes the "universal" in that term a bit too literal, when it makes it a requirement for it to be of universal use.
(One could think about changing the terms to "Connecting Power System" or whatever, but the name isn't really important if the page is clear in the end.)

At a glance at the proposal in the Doc linked in the OP, my first impression is that the proposal is weirdly specific.

I mean, what is the purpose of the page? My assumption would be that it inherently seeks to explain either:
1. Under which circumstances supernatural feats of power can be taken to scale to a users physical abilities, based on using the same kind of energy.
or
2. Under which circumstances a feat can be scaled to a stat it is not directly associated with (e.g. creation feat to AP or AP feat to Striking Strength) based on the fact that the feat employs the same kind of energy.

2 would be a more general version of 1.

However, the rules are somewhat restrictive if that is the purpose.
To give an example: Imagine a verse of magicians, but there is a single character that can use Chi and magic. Chi is not very relevant for the verses lore, as this is only a random side character. That character has a feat of firing a Chi-blast of 7-A proportions (using no magic of course). That character also has a move in which he channels Chi to enhance his punch and, in one instance, is shown to throw such a punch using more Chi as he has ever before, including for the 7-A Chi-blast. Hence we reason that the punch is 7-A in physical Attack Potency/Striking Strength (And through that to durability, given Newton's Third).

That character:
  • Can't channel power through physical objects
  • Doesn't draw on the same power for all their abilities, as it also uses magic
  • Doesn't draw upon a common source of power in the verse
  • Doesn't use a source of power for this feat that is tightly integrated into lore and it doesn't underpin the verse's metaphyiscal mechanics
  • The removal of the power source isn't necessarily a dramatic loss as his magic could be even stronger
However, the reasoning it uses for applying the Chi-blast potency to Physical Stats is fundamentally the same as what we aim for when talking about Universal Power Systems.
Well, like already stated, it's not a hard requirement. The draft page clearly states:

KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE ARE NOT STRICT, MANDATORY RULES TO QUALIFY A UNIVERSAL ENERGY SOURCE FOR SCALING TO PHYSICALS, BUT RATHER THEY ARE MERELY A SET OF GUIDELINES TO HELP ONE PROVE SO.

We also have the first guideline as follows:

"Empowering the user’s own physical characteristics like striking strength, speed and durability (There must be statements or showings that the character's feats performed via the energy system also scales or is equals to their physical strength/speed/durability, and there must also be statements or showings that an increase in power levels also relates to a proportional increase in their physical strength/durability/speed. If this condition is proven, then the statements/showings should be more than enough to prove the character’s abilities also scale to their physicals, at which point the criteria below would merely serve as supporting evidence)"

I believe that should be fine for the said side character to scale to his own feats via Chi. I believe a separate issue like this was brought up (In the previous UES thread I think) where one verse uses a common source of energy (For example, Chakra), but then there's another separate group that can use their own type of energy alongside said common source of energy, and they can use both to empower themselves in such a fashion. In which case it should be fine to scale if proven to do so.

Now, I'm aware that not all of these are necessary properties (even if the draft could be more clear on that), but I'm really not sure how a character using only one type of energy or one type of energy being common to many people in the verse would really support the scaling idea we are talking about any further.
Like already confirmed before, using one type of energy isn't a hard requirement, since in a verse there can be several types of energy systems that qualify for the same rules, which we already noted down (Like with the example of Marvel having the Odin-Force and Doctor Strange's magic).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back