• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unifying a few repeated P&A techniques on our files

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
So due to the abundance of P&A we list, there are times where certain recurring techniques can get listed in a variety of ways on the wiki. While this is fine and all, many of these come off as rather indefinite over actually describing specific scenarios, so this thread is made to have an even definition over GENERAL CASES of these powers, i.e. ones without elaboration given to them. Reason for this being, uniformity among our pages in the wiki, and sometimes the P&A being blatantly wrong in certain cases or being bloated by multiple overlapping terms.

Please keep in mind these are NOT for cases where there is some form of clarification given on the functioning for these, in which scenario it’s recommended to follow the Verse’s definition of the technique over ours.

These vaguely defined powers include:
  • Fire Extinguishers: I’ve seen these things listed as “Fire Nullification”, “Thermal Manipulation”, “Water Manipulation” or just as is. Many medias use the foamey CO2 based fire extinguishers, so best to find something to describe them
  • Hypnosis: I’ve seen files that describe these between Mind Manipulation, and sometimes Social Influencing, given it’s a questionably real phenomena.
  • Brainwashing Techniques: Inversely, these cases are described mostly by Social Influencing, but sometimes they’re defined by Mind Manipulation
  • Monster Conversions: These ******* go anywhere between Transformation, Corruption, Transmutation, Body Control, Shapeshifting, Corrosion, whatever
    • Vampirism
    • Zombification
  • Laser Projection: Goes between Thermal Manipulation, Light Manipulation and Energy Projection
  • Super-Leaping: Folks tend to list this as just Superhuman Physical Characteristics, or as Acrobatics, giving some real weird visuals on certain files like the Hulk’s if true.
  • Gliding: Goes between “Limited Flight”, “Acrobatics” and being listed as is.
  • Classical Weapon Mastery: Overlaps with Martial Arts as certain famous martial arts do teach you to master certain weaponry, or even going as far as to be primarily based upon the use of certain weapons.
  • Shockwaves: Age old dilemma, seen these stated as is, as Vibration Manipulation, Air Manipulation or unlisted.
  • Earthquakes: Between Earth Manipulation and Vibration Manipulation
  • Military/Police/Real-World Combat Training: These things can be unlisted, just Weapon Mastery, Weapon Mastery and Martial Arts, or just mentioned. These can be gauged pretty easily imo, given they exist IRL.
  • Being able to operate unconventional vehicles: Namely operating stuff like planes and submarines, not even skillfully mind you, these can be listed under intelligence or as Vehicular Mastery
  • Double Jumping: Seen these listed as Limited Flight, Acrobatics or otherwise
  • Tranquilizers/Knock-Out Gas: Seen these be Sleep Manipulation, limited Poison Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement, or being listed as is.
  • Tear Gas: Either Status Effect or nothing.
These are the examples I can think of at the moment, if you recall certain other really recurring techniques listed inconsistently, please let me know so I can add them to the list.

Anyways TO CLARIFY THREAD OBJECTIVE, I want definite P&As on cases where there is no further context for these powers, what to list them as in files, as such there is, to repeat, uniformity in our listings of these powers.

Last edited:
Hypnosis can vary, it's not something that should require uniformity because sometimes it's just a vampire looking at you and going "ooo ooo you're my slave now" and sometimes it's using real principles and concepts for the hypnosis, whether the execution be realistic or not.

Shockwaves are just vibration manipulation, that's pretty clear it's just that some files are outdated.

Lasers are by definition heat + light manip, though they also do qualify for energy projection since it is energy after all.

Earthquakes should also not be uniformed given it depends on how it's performed.

Also, add Tear Gas to the mix, I've seen some confusion on what that should count as.

Fire Extinguishers: I’ve seen these things listed as “Fire Nullification”, “Thermal Manipulation”, “Water Manipulation” or just as is. Many medias use the foamey CO2 based fire extinguishers, so best to find something to describe them
I'd say just note someone uses them in P&A but don't ascribe anything to them
Hypnosis: I’ve seen files that describe these between Mind Manipulation, and sometimes Social Influencing, given it’s a questionably real phenomena.
Mind Manipulation if it's how most fiction portrays it and if shown more realistically social influence (Hypnosis IRL can't force you to do stuff you wouldn't normally do as is)
Brainwashing Techniques: Inversely, these cases are described mostly by Social Influencing, but sometimes they’re defined by Mind Manipulation
Same as Hypnosis
Laser Projection: Goes between Thermal Manipulation, Light Manipulation and Energy Projection
All 3 fit here so
Super-Leaping: Folks tend to list this as just Superhuman Physical Characteristics, or as Acrobatics, giving some real weird visuals on certain files like the Hulk’s if true.
I literally revised acrobatics so super leaping doesn't count for it
Gliding: Goes between “Limited Flight”, “Acrobatics” and being listed as is.
Should be Limited Flight, idk how it can count as acrobatics
Classical Weapon Mastery: Overlaps with Martial Arts as certain famous martial arts do teach you to master certain weaponry, or even going as far as to be primarily based upon the use of certain weapons.
Weapon Mastery then?
This seems mainly reliant on context on if it's also martial arts so
  • Shockwaves: Age old dilemma, seen these stated as is, as Vibration Manipulation, Air Manipulation or unlisted.
This two can't really be decided without additional context, worst case they're just part of SPC
Military/Police/Real-World Combat Training: These things can be unlisted, just Weapon Mastery, Weapon Mastery and Martial Arts, or just mentioned. These can be gauged pretty easily imo, given they exist IRL.
Should be Weapon Mastery and Martial Arts imo as you do learn how to fight and use weapons far better then a regular person
Being able to operate unconventional vehicles: Namely operating stuff like planes and submarines, not even skillfully mind you, these can be listed under intelligence or as Vehicular Mastery
Neutral on this but iirc they require special training to operate so it can likely be Limited Vehicular Mastery
Double Jumping: Seen these listed as Limited Flight, Acrobatics or otherwise
If they can do it constantly without problems it's the latter, otherwise Acrobatics
  • Tranquilizers/Knock-Out Gas: Seen these be Sleep Manipulation, limited Poison Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement, or being listed as is.
Both are Status Effect Inducement for sure, I'd say the above fits under sleep manipulation too as it does make you go unconscious by force so

• Fire Extinguishers: I’ve seen these things listed as “Fire Nullification”, “Thermal Manipulation”, “Water Manipulation” or just as is. Many medias use the foamey CO2 based fire extinguishers, so best to find something to describe them
Probably fire negation since that's what it does. I do think they're notable enough to be listed in P&A, especially since this kinda tech is often employed in less mundane ways than just a fire extinguisher.
  • Brainwashing Techniques: Inversely, these cases are described mostly by Social Influencing, but sometimes they’re defined by Mind Manipulation
Definitely social influencing if it's non-supernatural brainwashing
  • Monster Conversions: These ******* go anywhere between Transformation, Corruption, Transmutation, Body Control, Shapeshifting, Corrosion, whatever
    • Vampirism
    • Zombification
Typically I do corruption + power bestowal
  • Super-Leaping: Folks tend to list this as just Superhuman Physical Characteristics, or as Acrobatics, giving some real weird visuals on certain files like the Hulk’s if true
Pseudo-Flight
Imo Pseudo-Flight, usually it has no acrobatic component and it does resemble flight.
  • Classical Weapon Mastery: Overlaps with Martial Arts as certain famous martial arts do teach you to master certain weaponry, or even going as far as to be primarily based upon the use of certain weapons.
Martial Arts and Weapon mastery then
  • Military/Police/Real-World Combat Training: These things can be unlisted, just Weapon Mastery, Weapon Mastery and Martial Arts, or just mentioned. These can be gauged pretty easily imo, given they exist IRL.
Definitely should be listed as MA/WM.
  • Being able to operate unconventional vehicles: Namely operating stuff like planes and submarines, not even skillfully mind you, these can be listed under intelligence or as Vehicular Mastery
Probably just intelligence.
Probably Pseudo-Flight?
Sleep Manip, though it's kinda weird because resistance to them should be resistance to poison. So maybe Limited Poison Manipulation and Sleep Manipulation
Could also be Limited Corrosion. In fact I think it is.

Fire Extinguishers: I’ve seen these things listed as “Fire Nullification”, “Thermal Manipulation”, “Water Manipulation” or just as is. Many medias use the foamey CO2 based fire extinguishers, so best to find something to describe them
Honestly, we probably do need a power for Foam Manipulation it's something that I feel is often enough seen and shown it deserves to be a power in of itself. But until then, I say we should probably put this under Water Manipulation since that's the closet thing we currently have to describe what they are.
  • Hypnosis: I’ve seen files that describe these between Mind Manipulation, and sometimes Social Influencing, given it’s a questionably real phenomena.
I think for the most part, our default should be Mind Manipulation for this one if we have no further elaboration.
I think the default here should be Social Influencing since for the most part this is more an ability than a power.
    • Vampirism
    • Zombification
Corruption seems the best bet here as the standard, corruption already has in its description ""infect" someone or something with one's power, making said person or thing into a different being or state of being than it was before. " Defintely should be our default
  • Laser Projection: Goes between Thermal Manipulation, Light Manipulation and Energy Projection
Honestly, I think Energy projection was made for this since if something can just shoot out a laser, no real point in adding the thermal manipulation or Light manipulation since both are just limited anyway and can be covered under Energy Projection just fine.
  • Super-Leaping: Folks tend to list this as just Superhuman Physical Characteristics, or as Acrobatics, giving some real weird visuals on certain files like the Hulk’s if true.
Definitely Superhuman Physical Characteristics on this one.
Limited Flight
Should just be Weapon Mastery. If a Martial Arts comes with it, we should just put both Martial Arts and Weapon Mastery.
Vibration manipulation is the way to go.
Default should probably be vibration manipulation with no other explanation provided.
We'd probably toss these under Martial Arts and Weapon mastery and then elaborate on the specifics in the Techinques sectioni.
Toss it under intelligence I think.

Sleep Manipulation I say.
Status Effect Inducement since it does exactly that for the most part.

Shockwaves: Age old dilemma, seen these stated as is, as Vibration Manipulation, Air Manipulation or unlisted.

Personally I've always thought that "Shockwave Creation" should be its own power, and be separate from just creating vibrations or manipulating the air itself.

I believe that so-called "air slices" where a characters swings a sword and projects a cutting force at range should also be counted under "Shockwave Creation" rather than Air Manipulation as it is in some profiles currently.

I can't deny that I used both and put the name ''shockwave creation'' but this more depending on how the feat/statement were presented, if it was leaning more on the vibration side then I would substitute vibration manipulation and reverse too for air manipulation.

Same situation for Earthquakes - some characters control the earth to cause such phenomena while others by sending vibrations in the ground - its case by case.

Idk about this, maybe some chemical manipulation or whatever, but I feel it's best to just list it as equipment

Case by case

Monster Conversions: These ******* go anywhere between Transformation, Corruption, Transmutation, Body Control, Shapeshifting, Corrosion, whatever
  • Vampirism
  • Zombification
I think it should be considered Corruption by default, and then add Disease, Curse, Necromancy or whatever based on specific cases.

Thermal works if the laser burns stuff, but Energy Projection should (I think) be the standard for the classic blunt force/piercing beam.

Just strength.

Limite Flight isn't really correct, but I guess it can work and that's what I've done a couple times.

I don't see the problem with this, Martial Arts include weapons very often as a general term, but to our standards it refers only to hand-to-hand combat.

Vibration is a good replacement for shockwaves and that's what I always use. Air slashes are weirder since I don't really know what's best for them, but sometimes they are specifically wind-based, so in such cases it should be simple air manip
Earthquake are case by case, characters pounding the ground should have Vibration manip, others, such as Ground type Pokèmon, should have Earth Manip.

Weapon and Martial Arts proficiency should work

Agreed, mastery should be given only if they are particularly competent or can drive a wide variety of vehicles.

I call this Acrobatics by default, and then limited Flight if they can jump indefinitely.

Status Effect and Sleep should work.

Personally I've always thought that "Shockwave Creation" should be its own power, and be separate from just creating vibrations or manipulating the air itself.

I believe that so-called "air slices" where a characters swings a sword and projects a cutting force at range should also be counted under "Shockwave Creation" rather than Air Manipulation as it is in some profiles currently.
I definitely agree that Shockwave Creation deserves to be its own power even if it is often portrayed to be merely a side-effect of strength.

I know I could go over these in greater detail, but a lot of abilities are more so "Generation" rather than "Manipulation". Shockwaves are basically "Vibration generation". Same with status related stuff are often "Inducement" rather than manipulation. Since "Manipulation" implies it's a flexible power which basically defaults to extraction powers and importing being equalized. Where as the ability to simply being able to produce something and not have full control over it is simply generation/inducement and not full out manipulation.

Dowsing flames is something that can have variety of methods; crushing fires through sheer pressure isn't really a power per say but just a plain AP feat. Though dowsing fires through fire extinguisher foams or water is using a chemical with high heat capacity for it's otherwise low temperature, and often times a high amount of fusion energy designed to give it high conductivity able to absorb thermal energy. But I agree it sounds like a chemical generation/inducement.

As for weapon mastery vs martial arts; the former could refer to any type of weapon where as martial arts refers to skills in melee attacks. Using swords, lances, or staves is technically a combination of both where as using your bare hands is just the latter and using firearms is just the former.

I think Saman covered the rest very well otherwise.

I am currently following up on the backlog of seemingly incomplete staff threads.

@Antvasima

If there are no objections to the proposal above, may we have the pages unlocked for revision?

I am currently following up on the backlog of seemingly incomplete staff threads.

@Antvasima

If there are no objections to the proposal above, may we have the pages unlocked for revision?
Which pages do you need unlocked exactly? Can somebody write a list of the exactly worded page titles please, with regular text formatting?

For some, we have x via y cases. An effect/application from a base ability.

For example, can cause Earthquakes via Earth/Vibration Manipulation

Okay, but which pages do you need unlocked here exactly?

I need the pages below to be unlocked.

Effect/Application Via P&A
  • Extinguish Fires
    • Fire Manipulation
    • Thermal Manipulation
    • Water Manipulation
    • Air Manipulation (CO2 Gas)
  • Hypnosis
    • Mind Manipulation
    • Social Influencing
  • Brainwashing
    • Social Influencing
    • Mind Manipulation
  • Monster Conversions
    • Transformation
    • Corruption
    • Transmutation
    • Body Control
    • Shapeshifting
  • Laser Projection
    • Light Manipulation
    • Energy Projection
  • Super-Leaping:
    • Superhuman Physical Characteristics
    • Acrobatics
  • Gliding
    • Flight
    • Acrobatics
  • Classical Weapon Mastery
    • Martial Arts
    • Weapon Mastery
  • Shockwaves
    • Vibration Manipulation
  • Earthquakes
    • Earth Manipulation
    • Vibration Manipulation
  • Military/Police/Real-World Combat Training
    • Weapon Mastery
    • Martial Arts
  • Being able to operate unconventional vehicles
    • Vehicular Mastery
  • Double Jumping
    • Flight
    • Acrobatics
  • Tranquilizers/Knock-Out Gas:
    • Sleep Manipulation
    • Poison Manipulation
    • Status Effect Inducement
  • Tear Gas
    • Either Status Effect
    • Poison Manipulation

Last edited:
@Firestorm808 @The_Impress

So should I unlock the following pages then?

Fire Manipulation
Thermal Manipulation
Water Manipulation
Air Manipulation
Mind Manipulation
Social Influencing
Mind Manipulation
Transformation
Corruption
Transmutation
Body Control
Shapeshifting
Light Manipulation
Energy Projection
Superhuman Physical Characteristics
Acrobatics
Flight
Martial Arts
Weapon Mastery
Vibration Manipulation
Earth Manipulation
Vibration Manipulation
Vehicular Mastery
Sleep Manipulation
Poison Manipulation
Status Effect Inducement

Also, can you remind me what you intend to do exactly please?

I don't think you can do application rn? No consensus was reached on multiple P&A abilities

Yah I think nearly everyone gave different takes on what each of this should be labelled under

Okay. Thank you for the replies. So what are the suggested solutions here, and which staff and honorary staff members agree with what?

@Firestorm808 @The_Impress

So should I unlock the following pages then?

Fire Manipulation
Thermal Manipulation
Water Manipulation
Air Manipulation
Mind Manipulation
Social Influencing
Mind Manipulation
Transformation
Corruption
Transmutation
Body Control
Shapeshifting
Light Manipulation
Energy Projection
Superhuman Physical Characteristics
Acrobatics
Flight
Martial Arts
Weapon Mastery
Vibration Manipulation
Earth Manipulation
Vibration Manipulation
Vehicular Mastery
Sleep Manipulation
Poison Manipulation
Status Effect Inducement

Also, can you remind me what you intend to do exactly please?
I was planning on adding the bolded items to the list of possible uses of each of the pages.

Super-Leaping:
  • Acrobatics
I LITERALLY made a CRT to make so jumping high/far isn't acrobatics
Extinguish Fires
  • Fire Manipulation
  • Thermal Manipulation
  • Water Manipulation
  • Air Manipulation (CO2 Gas)
Ehhhhhhhhhhh wouldn't all water manipulation get this by virtue of using water?
Gliding
  • Flight
  • Acrobatics
How is gliding ever acrobatics what
Tranquilizers/Knock-Out Gas:
  • Sleep Manipulation
  • Poison Manipulation
  • Status Effect Inducement
Should just be SEI imo
Monster Conversions
  • Transformation
  • Corruption
  • Transmutation
  • Body Control
  • Shapeshifting
Okay how is turning someone to a monster ends as shapeshifting/body control for you what

I was planning on adding the bolded items to the list of possible uses of each of the pages.
This is literally the exact opposite of what the CRT is about, we wanna have conciser listings, not "add this or this or this or this and have no standardization whatsoever"

I LITERALLY made a CRT to make so jumping high/far isn't acrobatics

Ehhhhhhhhhhh wouldn't all water manipulation get this by virtue of using water?

How is gliding ever acrobatics what

Should just be SEI imo

Okay how is turning someone to a monster ends as shapeshifting/body control for you what
I wasn't aware of said CRT, so I'll take your word for it.

As I said, the bolded terms are just being added as possible uses on the ability page.

I think I was imagining those characters like Kiteman since they take some skill to do properly, but that's fine to remove.

I see where that's coming from.

I was considering the effect being done on others as well as the self.

This is literally the exact opposite of what the CRT is about, we wanna have conciser listings, not "add this or this or this or this and have no standardization whatsoever"
It would appear that I misunderstood your OP. Can you clarify with a possible example of your desired outcome for one of the abilities?

It would appear that I misunderstood your OP. Can you clarify with a possible example of your desired outcome?
So due to the abundance of P&A we list, there are times where certain recurring techniques can get listed in a variety of ways on the wiki. While this is fine and all, many of these come off as rather indefinite over actually describing specific scenarios, so this thread is made to have an even definition over GENERAL CASES of these powers, i.e. ones without elaboration given to them. Reason for this being, uniformity among our pages in the wiki, and sometimes the P&A being blatantly wrong in certain cases or being bloated by multiple overlapping terms.
I don't think how it's misunderstandable to the degree you did but okay.

Point is to have a consensus on what to list certain powers as on the wiki, uniformly, so what is "Poison Manipulation" on one page, isn't also "Sleep Manipulation/Status Effect Inducement" on another with nearly identical representation. This does not stem from verse potrayal, this kind of stuff in fact stems from users confused as to what the power in question ever is.

So for example in the above case let's say Double Jumping is a power, which on one page is listed as Acrobatics, while on the other listed as Limited Flight or SPC, both of these have the EXACT SAME visual, and no further context for justification, point of the thread is so that both the pages say one thing that was agreed upon, say Acrobatics, and list it AS Acrobatics for every page, thus ensuring there is coherence along the pages.

This tackles two issues, one of P&A listing confusions, since we've all been there where we just don't know how to list a power as and are split, AND indirectly tackles P&A bloating, where a user decides to link 6 different powers to describe a single skill, even if it's basic on a face value level.

Also it's just aesthetically ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back