• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Undertale & Durability Negation: Fact, or Fiction?

Adem Warlock69 said:
Did you forget Magic Damaging the Mad Dummi, who is immune to physical hits?
Mad Dummy is hurt by mechanical missiles from mechanical robots. Additionally, it's far more likely that Frisk just isn't strong enough to hurt Mad Dummy, but Mad Dummy can hurt himself. So, moot.

The Calaca said:
Isn't the Mad Dummi immune because he assembles himself only?
This too. Frisk, who doesn't hit the soul, is only damaging the physical body, which then reforms. Mad Dummy's magical attacks would hurt the body and the soul - and the soul isn't reforming so easily, so Mad Dummy takes damage.

Mad Dummy calls those Missiles Magic Missiles a.k.a the're the same as his normal attacks but more explosive,also even a Neutral Frisk that can kill Toriel can't kill Mad Dummy, and Mad Dummy has -40 Def, and if you check him they state he's immune to physical attacks, so the Magic attacks were attacking his Soul.

Immunity isn't something we do here. 40 defense is a lot, but he isn't actually immune - he just reforms whenever he takes damage. Which actually proves my point exactly!

Combat Dummy, against Frisk's attacks, takes physical damage but no soul damage. Thus, he reforms, and is completely fine.

Against his own attacks, he takes physical damage and soul damage. He reforms, but since he was able to hurt himself, his soul is still hurt, thus he takes some damage.

Magic =/= Soulhax necessarily.

Also, Napstablook exists. He's truly invulnerable because he's a ghost.

Ghosts can only be hurt by magic in Undertale, like Napstablook not taking any damage from your attacks, the same aplies to Mad Dummy since he wasn't fully fused with his body

Moritzva said:
I'm aware. I'm saying that Chara is cleary an exception and has a large amount of magic voodoo in regards to her connection to Frisk. So, it makes sense that the item would have unique effects regarding that connection. Other items, not so much.
Meh, fair enough since it only happens to Chara and in the genocide route

Yea, just about every factor of Napsta and Mad Dummy actually goes to further the reasonings for removing Durability Negation, as they are all incredibly consistent with what was proposed above.

Moritzva said:
Yea, just about every factor of Napsta and Mad Dummy actually goes to further the reasonings for removing Durability Negation, as they are all incredibly consistent with what was proposed above.
Why? Doesn't it prove Durability Negation? As they Damage Souls? Even if the ennemie has lots of physical Durability, it doesn't matter as They atttack their Souls the same damage.

Mad Dummy only takes no damage because he can reform after every attack and is part-ghost. You could argue non-physical interaction, though, which I'd probably support.

NPI seems better.

But in no way Dura Negation via Soulhax is legit if its effects can be lessened by wearing average clothes.

The Calaca said:
NPI seems better.
But in no way Dura Negation via Soulhax is legit if its effects can be lessened by wearing average clothes.
Yea. Durability Negation is moreso an assumption based on how soulhax is usually treated in other verses, rather than something with any actual evidence in-verse. A dura-negating attack, that you can build your durability against, doesn't seem right.

Wouldn't it be Durability Negation? As it attacks the soul? Which means it can kill someone even if he has superior Physical Durability but doesn't have Soul Resistance.

Adem Warlock69 said:
Wouldn't it be Durability Negation? As it attacks the soul? Which means it can kill someone even if he has superior Physical Durability but doesn't have Soul Resistance.
This entire debate is that Undertale soul damage is directly based off being able to damage the body. Mad Dummy can damage his own body, and thus, can damage his soul. If you wear armor and clothing, no matter how dubious that clothing is, your body is better protected, and equally, your soul takes less damage.

Meanwhile, there isn't actually a single bit of evidence supporting durability negation.

Non-Physical Interaction might be added, but that's another thread.

There's still the locket argument, also how would a Tutu,Bandana and Glasses protect Small building level attacks? Even the Game makes fun of this with the old Tutu.

Adem Warlock69 said:
There's still the locket argument, also how would a Tutu,Bandana and Glasses protect Small building level attacks? Even the Game makes fun of this with the old Tutu.
I debated how the locket was clearly a special case, plus there's no actual evidence of it specifically protecting the soul, and not simply magically protecting the body. So that's just an assumption.

How do half-naked anime girls survive town-level attacks in fiction? Because sometimes fiction is like that. Yes, some pieces of armor are a bit odd, but Undertale is nothing if not known of it's light comedic gags, and Temmie Armor does exist for proof that some level of armor is present.

I'm far more willing to say that Toby Fox was screwing around and making funny armor pieces rather than "This tutu magically protects my soul from magical interference despite there being literally nothing that implies that!"

You really wouldn't think we could find a way to kick them down another notch, yet now they are getting their arguably best hack potentially yeeted. Oh how the mighty have fallen

time to yeet Sans durability

Welp, I tried to protect it, but It seems Undertale will lose it's best hax, but could Soul Manipulation and resistance stay? Because even Mad Dummy, which has AP that makes it's durability garbage could take lots of Hits that would have killed Frisk 10 times over, and Soul manipulation for the monsters like Undyne,Papyrus and Sans? For limiting frisk'soul.

The Calaca said:
Their Soulhax relies on AP difference, so I doubt it.
Well Undyne turning your soul Green or Papyrus turning you blue has nothing to do with AP,and Mad Dummy could tank lots of Soul attacks that would have killed frisk in the first 3 turns.

The only hacks that can stay I believe that bypasses regen is Sans poison effect

And that leaves a question. If someone is immune to poison, or has high resistance, does that mean they can resist this effect now?

Side question on that. If yes. If a person who can interact with non physical caught and held one of Sans attacks, does it still inflect poison damage by holding it

None of those soul attacks are proven to be lethal.

Mad Dummi surviving his attacks is evidence that his AP scales to his Durability and viceversa.

What Undyne, Papyrus and Sans do have nothing to do with Soulhax either. Undyne's trick is Paralysis Inducement (I guess), meanwhile the Skelebros literally mess with gravity.

Does is specific poisoning the soul specifically? Or is that in the presumption that they attacked the soul, so it could poison it

Buttersamuri said:
The only hacks that can stay I believe that bypasses regen is Sans poison effect
And that leaves a question. If someone is immune to poison, or has high resistance, does that mean they can resist this effect now?

Side question on that. If yes. If a person who can interact with non physical caught and held one of Sans attacks, does it still inflect poison damage by holding it
I think it's actually just durability negation, not a 'poison'.

But overall, I dunno. I'd relegate it to another thread.

Overall, I suppose the changes can be added?

Lol, Soul Manipulation does ignore durability and body Regenerationn. It's one of the best counters to regenerators.

Which means nothing as it's essentially the same as using gravity or Paralysis on physical bodies.

@Butter it depends. If the whole KARMA stuff is dealt the same way we are about to treat all Soulhax in Undertale, then physical resistance would be enough.

Alright. I'll make another thread discussing for it.

I'm fine with it. But this nukes like. All of their thread fights, right?

8 or so hits from the Dummy can kill Frisk,which is the baseline Soul, but Mad Dummy took 80s of soul hits and wasn't killed,so Monsters have Soul Resistance

Mad Dummy has 4 attack but Negative 40 Def, he would have died if he didn't have soul resistance and had a normal soul like Frisk.

Blue Mode is not gravity manipulation and Green mode isn't paralysis inducement. It is soul manipulation which acts like gravity manipulation and Paralysis inducement.

Using exact game stats seems very much like it's going for game mechanics.

We use the Check stats for AP and Durability, like Undyne having 50 Atk or Asriel having Infinite Atk and Def, there's an entire blog about it.

Back