• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

TSSDK Resistence to Power Null/Power Absorption/Power Modification/Power Mimicry

This CRT addresses a verse-wide upgrade in regards to how Skills (and only Skills, i.e. not Magic or Arts, etc.) work. This includes both WN and LN and should give all characters with Skills Resistance (or perhaps even conditional Immunity) to Power Nullification, Power Modification, Power Absorption and Power Mimicry.

WN Statement

Solution. The effects of Unique Skill [Shapeshifter]
Fusion: The ability to merge into a single being with the targeted fellow.

Division: The ability to separate oneself and the being possessing you. (If the target who is being separated lacks a physical form, they could disappear)
These two abilities are yours to wield.

I see. So Shizu-san's devil appearance was the result of this unique skill, huh? Just my first impressions, but wouldn't this skill mix well with mine? Although this slime body doesn't sweat, I certainly felt cold sweat at that thought. This is essentially the first step in understanding an opponents abilities. But, more importantly, can't I use this to erase their skills?

Solution. Skills engraved upon the soul can neither be separated nor destroyed.

Sadly, it wasn't that omnipotent. But, I am certain that it will mix well with my skills.
~ WN ch. 29​
LN Statement

Received. The unique skill Deviant is capable of the following…

To sum up what the Sage told me, Deviant's effects could be broadly divided into two categories.

Synthesize:
Transform two differing targets into a single object.

Separate:
Release the properties inherent to the target and make it into a separate object. (The original object may disappear if it has no physical form.)

This appeared to be the main engine behind Shizu's transformation. Human and spiritual forms, two very different things, synthesized into a single creature. It was hard to say whether Ifrit took Shizu over first, or if Shizu invented the Deviant skill to keep Ifrit from staging a complete power grab. There was no way of knowing for sure now, but either way, it was clear I could adapt this skill for a number of things.

I already knew that Synthesize could be applied to skills, leading to all manner of other combinations. Perhaps it could be combined with magic as well? Maybe fusing flame and wind to create hurricanes? Or maybe I could give magical effects to weapons and trigger a special attack with just a little magic force?

To give you my honest opinion, this Deviant skill was a scarily good fit with my own skill set. As a slime, I wasn't capable of nervous sweating, but I might as well have been. A few quick experiments had already given me Control Particles and Dark Flame, and I now also had full control over electrical attacks. There were tons of monsters left for me to Predate and glean new skills from, and I planned to do that as much as I could.

And for that matter, could I use the Separate function to seize skills from my enemies?

Received. It depends on the specific scenario. However, erasing or separating skills etched into the target's soul is not possible.

So it couldn't do everything. But it'd work sometimes? I'd need to figure out exactly what was available to Separate from my target first.
~ LN vol. 2​
Conclusion
To bypass the first 2 Resistances/Immunities, you'd need Soul Manipulation to a high enough degree to affect the target (Exception: This Resistance/Immunity only applies to Power Null that causes a permanent erasure of abilities, but effects that only temporary suppress abilities within an area or temporarily seal someone's abilities would still work normally unless the character in question got a specific ability against that as well, Unique Skills and above might still work, however).

For Power Absorption the standard is even higher: For Unique Skills, aside from Soul Manipulation, you also need Resistance to Soul Manipulation, since Unique Skills require a strong soul to have. The resistance might not be neccessary for Intrinsic, Common and Extra Skills though.

Power Mimicry would be a case-to-case basis. If it's shown to reproduce abilities from sight or other senses from only partially available knowledge and can be integrated into a "slightly altered" version to "fill in the blanks" with something more familiar to the user, then it would probably succeed, but I think that individual would still need Resistance to Soul Manipulation for Unique Skills and above. However if it's a power that needs to reproduce the entire formula, then it wouldn't work unless the person in question can use Soul Manipulation.

I need some input about how to word this. I am not sure whether or not it can really be called "Immunity" in this case or if "conditional Immunity" would be better, or if I should just call it Resistance like normal.

And sorry to everyone for making another "needs to be added to EVERY profile" CRT.

I think to posses ultimate skill you not only need to have a strong soul but you also must have a lot of resistance including Acausality type 1 and 4 to posses it considering you Will get those resistance by default when you posses ultimate skill

Actually, I am wondering now... if the opponent got Soulhax beyond the Slimeverse character's Soulhax Resistance, then wouldn't the match be pretty much over anyway?

EDIT:

Unless it's an ability like Prideful King Luficer, of course, but even that is only creating an "inferior version" as a copy, so I think the same result would happen for other Power Mimicries. They might POSSIBLY reproduce the ability itself, but wouldn't get the other traits of Ultimate Skill users.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
I dunno, there's other factors.
Yes, Power Mimicers/Nullers/Absorbers/Modifiers whose ability work via the soul but don't possess any Soul Manipulation otherwise, for example. You are right.

Milly Rocking Bandit said:
I'd say resistance to play it safe for now. Conditional immunity also kinda fits, but not outright immunity.
This point fits my view.

Agree with the op.

Puella Magi Verse has unconventional soul resistance due to their soul being in a gem or something, thus soul hax doesn't work, i guess we could word it as unconventional resistance due to skills being in the users soul or something like that.

Alright, then I guess that works. I believe it might be an immunity, but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, I cannot help this time around, finishing up missed vol.2 feats.

At this point however proposes verse wide revisions should handle the revisions themselves, unless others want to help.

Have no problem handling stuff i propose myself but i am certainty not gonna handle other ppl's revisions and edit 30+ profiles every single day as the revisions have been recently.

Tensei isn't the only verse i need to work work, can't spend that much time on a single verse.

I can do it myself, since I made this thread in the first place. I'd like some help with how to formulate it for the profiles though since that's one of my weaker points as I'd probably waste hours thinking of the right formulation and then when implementing it I'd probably change my mind again half-way through (perfectionist mindset). So some help on that front would be appreciated.

So... Something like:

"Unconventional Resistance to Power Nullification, Power Modification, Power Absorption and Power Mimicry (Skills are inscribed into the soul which resists any outside interference unless the interference is stronger than the soul's defenses, furthermore Unique Skills and above require a strong soul to possess them)."

Is that OK? Also what about the Immunity to Mind Manipulation for Shion and Rimuru? Can that be kept as is or should it also be changed to unconventional resistance? Unlike our current case, the Mind Manipulation Immunity had more concrete statements though.

Ok then.

Would it be fine to have this unconventional resistance listed alongside "normal" resistances against these power-something-effects, or should they be strictly only listed once each?

Listed separately so something like "Unconventional Resistance to Power Nullification, Power Modification, Power Absorption and Power Mimicry (Skills are inscribed into the soul which resists any outside interference unless the interference is stronger than the soul's defenses, furthermore Unique Skills and above require a strong soul to possess them), Resistance to Mind Manipulation, Death Manipulation."

Back