• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tower of God General Discussion Thread Part 4

Chapters are made in advance and are released in a schedule. When you see something in webtoon, is very normal that many of the chapters after the latest one that was released have already been made. So you can wait for their release date or pay for an advance look.

Enryu The Red Tower said:
Reading the Tower of God's Fast Pass, it looks like Evankhell will finally show her true destructive power without holding back because of any ally in her range or an Guardian Floor
When you CRT abilities for enryu?

Well the guy who's directing it has only has to directors credits and both are below average.

Not to mention Baam's voice actor is completely (maybe he's got talent but he's still an unknown).

The studio hasn't done a lot and really the only thing they have done that's "great" is Lupin the III but that's it.

So yeah very skeptical at this point. The OST will probably be Godly though.

What? Isn't the director Takashi Sano? The dude's got a pretty decent track record from what I'm seeing.

Don't know much about the studio, since I only recognize Lupin the Third there, but that's a good show. And from what we've seen so far, as well as the guy on reddit who reported at the first episode, it seems like it's going in the right direction.

Check out his actual directing credits. Not single episode credits or assistant director credits. Shows that he's helmed at the forefront. He doesn't have a good track record.

Nico-v11 said:
Check out his actual directing credits. Not single episode credits or assistant director credits. Shows that he's helmed at the forefront. He doesn't have a good track record.
Those are some pretty questionably stretches you're making here based on nothing. He's has 8 director/episode director credits and 5 other animation/assistant director. And he's worked on storyboard on 20+ projects. So I see anything here that shows that he "doesn't have good track record", quite the opposite really.

It seems the show is in good hands from everything that we've seen so far.

It's not baseless. Being at the helm is very different from just being an episode director or assistant director. You can see this happen with many other directors and is quite frequently the case.

It's not about the amount of work that you do it's about the quality that has been produced while in a specific role. As a director helming an anime he has a bad track record.

His two directing credits are:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/23201/Sengoku_Basara__Judge_End

https://myanimelist.net/anime/927/Transformers_Superlink

Although for transformers he only has a directing record for ep 6-52 (not as an episode director which is different).

There have been many terrible anime that have been done in the past that have been directed by people that have worked on very amazing anime as well however not as directors. That is very normal. It is important to distinguish the roles that have been given.

Except you're blowing this out of proportion. Not to mention those two didn't even do badly according to their rating, so again, you're just making baseless assumptions to make ToG somehow look bad when literally everything points to the other direction.

I posted them above.

Although I don't want to be purely negative. Again the OST is probably going to amazing since it's being done by Kevin Penkin who did the OST for Made in the Abyss (award winning) and The Rising of the Shield Hero.

The animation director also has a very good track record as someone who works animation going by what he's worked on.

I'm just not sold on the director and assistant director (who just plainly has a terrible record).

Ogbunabali said:
Except you're blowing this out of proportion. Not to mention those two didn't even do badly according to their rating, so again, you're just making baseless assumptions to make ToG somehow look bad when literally everything points to the other direction.
What do you mean they didn't do bad??? A score of 6 IS BAD. A 7.5 is around average and anything above an 8 is good/great.

I will say its been quite a few years since he's been a head director, so it's not impossible for him to improve, especially if he's been doing work since he's last credit.

Except a score of 6 is about average? Not to mention Transformers Superlink was made in 2004, almost 2 decades ago. And Sengoku Basara Judge End has a score of 6.90.

So again, you're just blowing things out of proportion and keep making extremely sketchy stretches based on nothing for a show that isn't even out yet. When literally all evidence points to the opposite and even the first reports on the first episode say that the show was really good.

Ok that IS true that it has been quite a while and that he may have improved it also means that he hasn't been chosen as a director for all that time for a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT this to be amazing. I truly do. I just also think that adapting Webtoons is a risk and Crunchyroll is probably just testing the waters first before putting in anything major (which is counter productive in my opinion).

Nico-v11 said:
Don't get me wrong, I WANT this to be amazing. I truly do. I just also think that adapting Webtoons is a risk and Crunchyroll is probably just testing the waters first before putting in anything major (which is counter productive in my opinion).
Except Crunchyroll is doing the complete opposite of what you just said. They're literally adapting all of the top webtoons that exist right now. If that's not "major" enough for you I have no idea what is.

@Ogbunabli

Average meaning quality not quantity of shows. Name any anime that you like that has a score of 6 and you'll see what I mean. The thing is that you probably don't have any shows that you like that ARE 6 (not trying to say your opinion is bad if there is, I like some shows that are 6 but objectively speaking they do suck).

Ogbunabali said:
Please provide me with those statistics that you just headcanoned into existence please.
Ok now you're just being disrespectful. It's not about statistics, it has nothing to do with that. It's about reference and what shows are given a score of 6 normally as opposed to everything else.

"Except Crunchyroll is doing the complete opposite of what you just said. They're literally adapting all of the top webtoons that exist right now. If that's not "major" enough for you I have no idea what is."

You misunderstood what I meant by "major", I meant resources and putting in full effort into it. The God of High School anime adaptation has MAPPA as the studio which is has done great things and Noblesse has Production I.G which again has amazing credits (or very big names at the very least).

Tower of God in comparison just doesn't.

Nico-v11 said:
Ok now you're just being disrespectful. It's not about statistics, it has nothing to do with that. It's about reference and what shows are given a score of 6 normally as opposed to everything else.
So you're telling me you can't back up any of the claims you just made? Color me surprised.

Again name any anime that you like that has a score of 6. By which point you'll realize there either 1. isn't any or 2. you'll realize the general quality of what a score of 6 means.

To put into comparison Berserk 2017 scored a 6.57

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32379/Berserk?q=Berserk

Which is higher than one of the two credits previously and only lower by .4 compared to the other.

Berserk 2017 was also widely hated. So yes I don't need statistics to prove a point which only requires deductive reasoning.

There's always the chance that the adaptation for Tower of God is great beyond all expectations because the source material is so good to begin with. Which again I am hoping is the case.

" So you're telling me you can't back up any of the claims you just made? Color me surprised."

What are you talking about? What points? The score of a 6 being bad? Just look at what other shows are rated a 6 and use your head. Being blindly optimistic is not going to get you anywhere.

Do you WANT me to start listing down shows with a score of 6 to manually show you that it's not a good score? It that what you want me to do here?

There's no statistic or anything that says shows that a score of 6, 7, 8, or even 9 is good or bad. Just a personal judgement. Hell I could say all shows that are a score of 9 are terrible because I hate Fullmetal Alchemist and Steins Gate (I love both of those btw) and that would be that.

There's no statistics involved. But you CAN definitively say that shows that are a score of 6 tend to be not nearly as approachable, influential, or successful.

There are of course exceptions like Black Clover which is all those things but generally speaking no.

EDIT: apparently Black Clover rose to a 7.

I don't think you get how this works. You need to prove that all anime that have an average score of 6 are bad. Not for me to prove that they aren't. That's your claim not mine.

Also listing a single anime out of hundreds of thousands isn't proving anything. You need to link credible statistics with sizable sample pool if you want to be close to proving your point.

And not to mention that Berserk's hate that it got was 99% fault of the bad animation and/or camera angles. The story/characters were generally well received.

Nico-v11 said:
Do you WANT me to start listing down shows with a score of 6 to manually show you that it's not a good score? It that what you want me to do here?
Yes I would. I want you to prove your claims. I'd say a fair number would be somewhere between 2-5 thousand shows? Considering how many anime in existence there is, that seems like a fair number.

@Ogbunabali

I'm not telling you that all anime with a score of 6 are bad just that the score of a 6 generally indicates a bad show. Clearly you're completely missing the point. I don't have to prove the claim when shows of that score speak for themselves.

I'm asking you to name a show that you like that has a score of 6 in order to show you that they are generally not good.

Berserk 2017 being hated and having a score of 6 go hand in hand completely regardless of why. It doesn't matter that it has good qualities because of the general consensus of it being terrible and that being indicated by its rating.

Prove that.

What does this have to do with anything?

Actually it very much does. Because you're completely missing the point. Beserk got a 6.26 score because the fans were triggered and were rating it with low scores. But regular people with normal opinions (AKA the general public) rated it between 6-8. Just because the vocal minority loses their shit when they talk about Berserk because they're diehard fans, doesn't mean the average joe that looked at that anime came out thinking it was terribad. And the statistics themselves prove that.

IUDFHSUIDSUFH09234829304832I4J2K34H28934Y923O4HI23489

"Actually it very much does. Because you're completely missing the point. Beserk got a 6.26 score because the fans were triggered and were rating it with low scores. But regular people with normal opinions (AKA the general public) rated it between 6-8. Just because the vocal minority loses their shit when they talk about Berserk because they're diehard fans, doesn't mean the average joe that looked at that anime came out thinking it was terribad. And the statistics themselves prove that."

The fans have all the right to be triggered by Berserk's anime when it's a very poor adaptation of the source material.

The average joe lacks this knowledge. The Berserk anime "in a vacuum" may be passable. When confronted with what it is adapting, however, it is bad.

And this comes from someone who has been in both sides, I saw the anime before reading the manga. After reading the manga I'd rate the anime much lower.

Now you prove that it the "general public" rated it between 6-8. Prove that the general public didn't vote 1-6.

If the berserk die hard fans were the only ones that scored it low and they are the minority then why is the score so low? Using the mean (average) would negate the lower bound from dragging down the general score.

This is pretty pointless here. I'm not going to go collecting data from every show out there with a score of 6 to prove a point. The shows with a score of 6 speak for themselves whether they have positive reception or not. Which they generally do not. Anybody with a brain can tell without having to pull up a chart.

You still haven't told me any show that you like that has a score of 6 so if you can't even mention one then that just means that you don't like a single show that has a score of 6 or can argue that it is by any means good.

Don't have experience with Berserk so can't comment on that. But that's completely irrelevant either way. The point was the the 6.26 score was bad, but the actual statistics showed otherwise.

Now you prove that it the "general public" rated it between 6-8. Prove that the general public didn't vote 1-6.
Already showed you a picture of that.

If the berserk die hard fans were the only ones that scored it low and they are the minority then why is the score so low? Using the mean (average) would negate the lower bound from dragging down the general score.
That was in relation to why you think the anime was hated when it actually wasn't. The only ones that hated it were the vocal minority. The actual statistics prove that.

This is pretty pointless here. I'm not going to go collecting data from every show out there with a score of 6 to prove a point. The shows with a score of 6 speak for themselves whether they have positive reception or not. Which they generally do not. Anybody with a brain can tell without having to pull up a chart.
So you can't prove anything that you're saying?

You still haven't told me any show that you like that has a score of 6 so if you can't even mention one then that just means that you don't like a single show that has a score of 6 or can argue that it is by any means good.
Completely irrelevant and doesn't prove anything. That's not how debating works. Burden on proof is on you. You claim that 6 = bad. I'm asking you to prove it. Which you're unable to by your refusal to post a single evidence for your claims.

Ogbunabali said:
Don't have experience with Berserk so can't comment on that. But that's completely irrelevant either way. The point was the the 6.26 score was bad, but the actual statistics showed otherwise.
" And not to mention that Berserk's hate that it got was 99% fault of the bad animation and/or camera angles. The story/characters were generally well received."

Then if that's the case how can you even say the story was well received? Because let me tell you it was not. Tons of the story was changed as well.

Nico-v11 said:
" And not to mention that Berserk's hate that it got was 99% fault of the bad animation and/or camera angles. The story/characters were generally well received."

Then if that's the case how can you even say the story was well received? Because let me tell you it was not. Tons of the story was changed as well.
Again, completely irrelevant. Even if it was true.

Back