• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 5 Best Written Characters for Every Tier

I messed up one major part of Toguro's character. He wasn't afraid of dying, nor did it take him 50 years to regret his actions. It was that him killing that demon wasn't enough, and he's punishing himself for being vulnerable and not being there to prevent his students from being slaughtered. They were attacked to make him vulnerable. So he resolved to make himself unable to be vulnerable again.

Azathoth for Tier 0

There is a core concept of Lovecraft's writing and that is the fear of the unknown. Not just of the unknowing beings that reside beyond our comphrension, but the way people fear other people who are foreign to them. Theres a story I feel which perfectly portrays this theme. In his short story "The Outsider" it tells of a man who wishes to make contact and have friends, and so he seeks other people. But when they see him they run off in fear, never giving him a chance. The man in the end looks towards a mirror, and sees that he was a monster this entire time. Its a metaphor for how people can be demonized for simply existing, how people who are different or "Unknown" are feared by others and thus shunned as a result. Its the fear of the unknown, but also fearing you're part of that unknown which other's fear. And I feel based on this, Azathoth is like the god we pray to asking for help that never answers. Azathoth is an eternal dreamer, sleeping dormant, incomprehensible to us in it's slumber. People pray to their gods all the time to seek salvation, yet nothing comes. When people pray to a god out there somwhere, they are praying to Azathoth. And Azathoth never answers their prayers. Azathoth is the absence of god, the nihilism that Lovecraft projects into his writing along with the many other themes he portrays. We try to give ourselves meaning, thinking we have some greater role to play in the world... When in reality our god does not care about us.

It is absent from our lives, ignores our prayers, and never makes communication with us. And the dilemma about it is, if we don't have some purpose to work towards, some role to play. If our own creator that made us from his dreams didn't give us any purpose, if he doesn't care for us, then does life truly have any meaning? This depiction of Azathoth being uncaring and absent from it's creations life also reflects onto Lovecraft's own personal life. His father died of illness, and so he was absent from his life too. His mother was stricken with grief that she never recovered from. Lovecraft also told of how close he was to his grandfather after death, being the "Center of his Universe". The man died later as well. He lost everything and no longer felt he had a reason to keep going. This is what Azathoth represents. Crippling Nihilism, exestential dread, and an absence of a god.

Shin Godzilla for 7-C

"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy." This is a qoute from the creator of Godzilla This is something that is heavily expressed in Shin Godzilla as well. Goji was the result of nuclear waste being poured out into the ocean, mutating into a giant monster as a result of their irresponsibility. He grows and grows, eventually making landfall inadvertently destroing everything in his path as he walks along and evolves. He does this not by choice, but it is simply a result of his monstrous size and strength. Humanity is forced to defend itself, and Goji is as well. He was damned to be destroyed from the very start. Another thing to note: Everytime Goji roars in that movie he is in pain. To further my analysis to really hammer this point home, well look at Goji's song "Who Will Know." Its a song that takes place from his perspective.

"If I die in this world, who will know something of me? I am lost, no one knows, theres no trace of my yearning." - This expresses what I said earlier, how Goji didn't choose to destroy but it kept happening due to him being to big and too strong. If he dies no one will know his struggles, no one will know the "real" him, all they will see if he dies is a monster being put down. However destroy more and more is all he can do here, as his body kept evolving into larger forms and the humans forcing him to defend himself. They do not know Godzilla, so they fear him. Kind of like a Lovecraftian fear of the unknown. He exists as the one and only of his kind, not understood by any others. "But I must carry on. Nothing worse can befall. All my fears, all my tears, tell my heart there's a hole." - So this verse introduces a much more raw and tough masculine voice, as opposed to the previous somber and feminine voice. This verse tells of his anger, and how it cant get very much worse than this with the humans trying to destroy him simply for existing. Even if he doesn't want it he must continue on and fight if he is to live. It's his only choice. "I wear a void. Not even hope. A downward slope, is all I see." - Godzilla has lost all hope for the future, seeing only a decline as he continues to fight and live. He knows peace is now impossible, and even if he keeps going on he will one day face death. "As long as breath comes from my mouth. I may yet stand the slightest chance. "A shaft of light is all I need, to cease the darkness killing me." - So this may or may not be alluding to his Atomic Breath (Fun fact this song was first played in his Atomic Breath scene.) But eitherway it expresses his other side of his thoughts as he continues on. He's lost all hope but maybe if he continues to fight and destroy he might stand a chance to ward off the humans destroying him. He can only save himself by destroying more.

Unfortunately I'm not as good at analyzing or writing very in depth reasoning as some of the posters here. But i'd Like to provide reasoning for Discord (ether of his tiers) or at the very least explain why I think he's a well written character

In terms of motivation Discord is relatively simple but effective. He's the spirt/embodiment of chaos itself so he desires above all else to wreak chaos, insanity and disorder to anything or anyone. Whenever it's giving the middle finger to physics by screwing with gravity, turning a bunch of rabbits into long stilt like legs turning Ponyvile into the Chaos capital of the World he loves it to no end. So Discord never desired to destroy or conquer anything necessarily he just wanted to have fun because it's his very nature and as we later discover literally needs to do so or else he'll fade from existence.

This also ties in greatly why imo Discord is a very well written and interesting character in the MLP world. Even his "reformation" he still helps Twilight in the others in a very indirect, reckless and often twisted way. Such as mocking Twilight and pointing out her friends didn't need her to motivate her to save the day. Or the most intense example literally brining back her worst enemies she ever faced and arrange an attack on her coronation so she's filled with complete confidence and be the amazing leader everyone knows she can be.

In terms of development he's gone though a lot of interesting changes and stories in his character arc. He genuinely feels remorse for his actions and learning true compassion and friendship. But his true nature and personality often goes into conflict with this (like when he literally attempted to toss a pony into another dimension cause he assumed Fluttershy abandoned him for making a new friend. Or literally almost ended up erasing himself from existence cause he was afraid his chaotic and weird self wouldn't give Fluttershy the perfect tea party or when he literally accidentally created a giant mutated apple monster to help one of his best friend's propose to the love of his life). He even questioned if he can really change due to being a force of nature. But ponies around him showed him how much he's changed since the old Discord would have never felt remorse or guilt for all that he's done.

And in terms of entertainment Discord steals the show whenever he's on screen. His reality warping shenanigans combined with John De Lancie's excellent performance showcases a interesting and often hilarious character to watch. His literal first scene had him possessing a glass stained window of himself and moved around in it to rollcall the main characters with his iconic "make sense? Oh what fun is there in making sense?" With countless other examples, like literally drinking the glass from chocolate milk and having the actual milk explode. Making ginseng tea, literally bringing a D&D paraody to live. Literally altering the very story he's in by turning the MLP manga into a Naruto, Sailor Moon, Power Rangers and Godzilla parody (yes this is real).

So needless to say The Spirt of Chaos and Disharmony completely lives up to his reputation.

Spider-Man (Marvel Comics) for High 8-C.

We often hear the "with great power comes great responsibility" shtick time and time again, but that's not particularly why I want to nominate him. Rather, the nomination is for his nigh-unbeatable determination. He's constantly thrown out of his league when it comes to many situations, similar to many others that are considered street levelers.

But so little do we see someone as altruistic as Spidey tackle these constant hurdles that always seem to get in the way. Regardless of coming from a poor family or leading a multi-billion dollar company. Regardless of his occasional bloodlust or not being able to do much in the grand scheme of things. Regardless of others seeing his thwarting of petty robbers as a waste of potential, or he's deemed one of the greatest scientific minds known to man. Regardless of if he's helping an old lady cross the street or standing up against cosmic threats that threaten existence itself.

He is, stands for, and fights for the little guy, regardless of what it costs to do so and regardless of how difficult that can be. That's just the Parker Luck.

Schnee One said:
@Shake

Insomniac could make it up here himself tbh
Tbh. Comics and Insomniac seem to be the best of the best.

I could probably elaborate more on Comic Spidey, but I got a few assignments to juggle for my classes XP

I'm sort of conflicted.

Do we judge the characters by how consistent they are written? If so, while I don't deny that Peter had good writters, there are also incompetent people that don't know how to handle him.

This is why I said previously that we should not allow character that have way to many incarnations.

So, since someone mentioned Mewtwo, I'll make a case. He's not gonna make top 5 of 5-B, but it's worth a shot.

Aight. So, Mewtwo. Specifically the original series anime + the radio drama. Mewtwo's entire existence is a guinea pig. He was created from the eyelash of a mythical god, the progenitor of all Pokemon (shut up, Arceus). And the person behind it was Mr. Fuji. The scientists were funded by Team Rocket, which as you all know because it's Pokemon, is the Pokemon version of the mafia/yakuza. To them, it was the project to create a warrior god, but to Fuji, it was an attempt to master cloning. As Fuji earlier lost his daughter, Amber, and Mewtwo could give him the secrets to bring her back. He works day and night on this, never coming home, until his wife can't take it anymore and leaves him, which causes him to further delve into his research.

Now to Mewtwo's perspective. They started his creation, and Mewtwo is gestating in a lab vat. In his first moments of life, he telepathically connects with the AmberTwo, the consciousness of Amber. They become fast friends, and Mewtwo also gains the friends of some other Pokemon clones, that being clones of the original 3 starters. All is going well until one by one, the clones start dying. The cloning process isn't perfect, and their consciousnesses can't last more than a short period of time, Mewtwo being an exception because he's a physical god. AmberTwo is the last one to go, and as she's fading, she tells Mewtwo that life is beautiful, and he should be happy that he's alive. And with that, she dies. Needless to say, Mewtwo doesn't take this well, because he's not even a week old at this point. His has a psychic "tantrum" and the only thing the scientists could do was put a bullet in his head. Mewtwo dies but regenerates, and the scientists wipe his memory, but the seeds of the event still weighs on his unconscious mind. Meanwhile, Mr. Fuji gives up on bringing his daughter back, his only goal bringing Mewtwo into fruition.

Years pass, and Mewtwo is fully realized. He asks who he is, and they tell him he's Mewtwo. The scientists celebrate his creation, and talk about all the tests they're going to run on him. This is when Mewtwo realizes that these humans don't care for him as anything more than a guinea pig, and they don't care whether or not he's alive. His response? He blows up the lab bit by bit before nuking the island altogether and leaving.

On his travels, he runs into Giovanni, who tells him he can help Mewtwo control his power. Mewtwo, as remember he's been conscious for like a day at this point, believes Giovanni. Giovanni puts armor on Mewtwo and has Mewtwo do...tasks for him, but unbeknownst to Mewtwo, Giovanni is having Mewtwo commit crimes like stealing Pokemon by the hundreds. When Mewtwo catches on, Giovanni gloats that Mewtwo was nothing more than a weapon to him. This completely disillusions Mewtwo about humans, and furthers his doubt to whether he's even alive, and what he's meant to do. Mewtwo's entire journey is his existential crisis.

Fast forward to the events of the first movie. Mewtwo controls an island and tricks the greatest Pokemon trainers (so far) onto the island for training, and when he reveals himself, he clones all the Pokemon there so he can pit them against each other, as validation for if clones are worth living. Mew, his "parent", shows up, and in the Japanese version, Mew takes the opposite approach. Clones are abominations that should be put down. The American one nixes this. And then they fight. The difference between this and the other Pokemon battles that everyone seems to forget about is that this isn't for sport, but to the death. And nobody would come out on top, so Ash runs in the middle of a clash between Mew and Mewtwo, which kills him, albeit temporarily. This is when Mewtwo realizes. A young boy, a Human, sacrifices himself for the sake of all Pokemon, whether or not they were clones.

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

From here on out, Mewtwo has a change of heart. He takes his clones and flies off, wiping the memories of all involved and sending them back in time. The next time we see Mewtwo, he's caring for his clones, and even saves the lives of humans if they're in danger when he's present. He saved Ash's bus when it was about to go off a cliff. And he's even willing to sacrifice himself for his fellow clones. And even when Team Rocket tries to take him and his clones, he doesn't hate all humans again. After the events of the Mewtwo Returns special, we don't see that Mewtwo again, sadly. We get a shitty version in the Genesect movie that's not the same.

I nominate Insomniac Games Spider-Man for High 8-C, for one simple reason. It balances both Peter Parker and Spider-man.

Most interpretations of everyone's favorite wall crawler stumble on this point. Sam Rami has a great Peter Parker, AMS has a great Spider-Man, and MCU has a great "Teen Hero" Era Spidey. But known of those are Spider-Man's main character.

Spider-Man is, at his core, a regular dude with extraordinary powers trying to get on with his life while doing the right thing. He wants to balance his need to help the weak and fight crime with his need to, well, live a normal life. He'd love to help his Aunt May at FEAST, but he also needs to stop that bank robbery down the street. And that's hard.

Peter constantly needs to live to different lives. And that's not easy. Just having one life isn't easy. Getting evicted from your appartment is bad. Accidentally creating a supervillain is worse. Even someone perfect probably wouldn't be able to juggle two lives at once and Peter's only human. But he doesn't let that stop him.

He doesn't spend hours brooding on roof tops about how much his life sucks. He takes the hits, makes a quip, and gets up in the morning. They're hard hits to take. The city in chaos, the death of a loved one, the betrayal of a friend, all at once even. And he every time this happens, he mourns, cries, he's tired and exhausted. But he always gets up, puts on the mask, and weathers the storm.

Yes, he's hurt that he was betrayed. Yes, the death of Aunt May will leave a hole that'll never be filled. But, no matter what, he'll keep going. He'll do the right thing because that's what the people closest to him, what Uncle Ben and Aunt May and the man Otto used to be, taught him. With Great Powet Comes Great Responsibility.

Byleth just to spite Smash fans

Anyway, a lot of 3H characters are extremely well written (except Byleth, ironically enoughÔé¼, but Dimitri (Fire Emblem) definitely takes the cake for the best written character of the game, if not even the whole series.

SPOILERS FOR THREE HOUSES BLUE LIONS READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Dimitri was the Prince of Faerghus, he never knew his mother as she died before he could remember her, but his stepmother from the Empire took her place as Dimitri's mother figure. One day when Dimitri was still young, Edelgard, the empire's princess and Dimitri's stepmother's daughter, came to Dimitri's, and the two children quickly became friends, and probably developed a crush. Fast-forward a couple years, the carriage in which Dimitri was with the rest of his family was attacked, and all of the Royal family and the guards died in flames, with Dimitri being the only survivor. This causes him to develop PTSD, and an extreme thirst for revenge, but he manages to self-control himself, and the revengeful side of him remains hidden for the most part.

Fast-forward again, Dimitri is at the academy, a neutral place in the continent, searching for the responsible for the tragedy. He finds out that the ones that caused the tragedy did it to "sacrifice" them for the "Flame Emperor" who is later revealed to be Edelgard herself, AKA Dimitri's crush, friend and effectively his only still alive family member. At this point, Dimitri fully snaps. He completely drops his facade, revealing all of his blood-thirsty personality, fully dedicating himself to killing her.

Fast-forward 5 years, Edelgard becomes emperor and declares war to the kingdom and the rest of the continent, Dimitri gets imprisoned by the empire, manages to escape but his best friend dies trying to make him escape. Dimitri fully becomes a blood-thirsty Monster, ignoring his kingdom in the pursuit of killing Edelgard. This blind rush towards Edelgard costs Dimitri the life of his father's best friend, who, in his dying moments, calls BS on Dimitri trying to get revenge for the dead in their stead, as no one died for him, they all died following their ideals and that Dimitri's life shouldn't by influenced by his death or of those who died in the tragedy. After a dialogue with Byleth, Dimitri finally finds the will to live for his own ideals once again, and while he still searches for revenge on Edelgard, he's now no longer blinded by it.

Still though, that's just the major part. Like many other 3H characters, he has several nuances and quirks, but I don't have a lifetime to write this.

Seeing your post make me feels bad for Byleth due of massive backlash she had, f*** that toxic smash fans

Anyway thanks that Ion is out from this thread so we can nominate BnHA here ngoahahahaha

I'll write one about Geralt for 9-A

Geralt is a man who as a child was left by his wizard mother to witcher school Kaer Morhen, where he was mutated. Normally only 4/10 kids survive Trial of the Grasses, and Geralt happened to be one of them, surviving the Trial and gaining superhuman abilities.

He was living through hard times, having multiple quests, diets, very harsh and rigorous trainings and later received also additional mutations as he was a great student.

Geralt is not particularly or necessarily a tragic hero, despite all the shit he was through in his life and has experienced many unfair things and friends dying, and he was never the greatest man. He's a free man who happens to have his ups and downs.

But after all those years of exploring the world, meeting immeasurable amount of monsters and humans, being often discriminated by normal humans as a freak and typical mutant he created his own moral code that he always follows. He's a monster hunter for money, but he is also willing to help both humans and monsters for free as he realized both are, in some cases, the same and Witchers are the only ones standing between both worlds and understanding both, exactly why Geralt told that both his silver and steel swords are "for monsters", he went from slaughtering monsters on his way to sparing those that are unharmful. While many other Witchers from other schools often forget about their humanity due to the race discrimination (it's medieval slavic world after all) and their mutations/not being used to meet normal humans, Geralt is trying to maintain his humanity all the time. His morals and ethics are fully what we would expect of a veteran who has seen much or enough for a one life.

The other important part of his personality I love is his humour and how unpredictable he is in conversations, he knows when he can allow himself to be smug and when to be dead serious, like the situation with Yen "You smell wonderful" "Geralt, we are at funeral..." "You smell wonderful at this funeral", and that's only one of his hundreds great lines.

He's one of my all time favorites because all the scenes he is in are the best and sometimes I can't get over how good written this guy is.

Back