• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Top 5 Best Written Characters for Every Tier

Theglassman12 said:
LordUrien935 said:
Ah, I almost forgot Darth Vader for High 7-C. Name a more well-known redemption arc in all of fiction.
You mean the redemption arc that amounted to nothing because Palpatine never dies from Darth Vader's hands?
</div>
Sorry I don't consider Kathleen van der Linde's view of Star Wars canon

Reaaally unsure if the lore of a character will make them better written, lore can be used to make them more complex and other things, but it should not be the main reason for why they are so well done.

Newendigo said:
Reaaally unsure if the lore of a character will make them better written, lore can be used to make them more complex and other things, but it should not be the main reason for why they are so well done.
Agreed, otherwise Dark Souls and Bloodborne would dominate this list

LordUrien935 said:
Newendigo said:
Nah, D&D, WoD and such would dominate if it was based on lore.

Since they've been around since 1990s writing lore and lore and lore for the series.

Udlmaster said:
LordUrien935 said:
Newendigo said:
Since they've been around since 1990s writing lore and lore and lore for the series.
Isnt DnD from the late 70's?

AogiriKira said:
Udlmaster said:
LordUrien935 said:
Newendigo said:
Isnt DnD from the late 70's?
The publication date of the original DnD is of 1974 going by wikipedia, so I it would be early 70s.

I'll write why Kazuma Kiryu easily lands in my top 5 fictional characters of all time (No spoilers below, only the marked ones) and could be in 9-A tier

So about him, I won't get much into detail about his backstory, it's easy to figure about and it's not very vast.
I don't like to call Kiryu a complicated character. His character development (or rather growth would be a better word) isn't particularly groundbreaking on the level of characters like Meruem or Big Boss, as it's not the thing that makes him great. He's fairly simple yet very multi-layered, believable and likable. differing from most character stereotypes. That's one of the reasons Yakuza fans are mad when someone says it's just like Sleeping Dogs or GTA, the quality of writing is just worlds apart.

First of all, Kiryu is strong, the strongest man in the world and a one man army, with not many being able to match him. But he's nowhere near an invincible Gary Stu. Kiryu is a very humanized, sympathetic and relatable character, despite his "badass" image that he creates at first sight. Unlike most characters, he can't just punch, cut or bullshit through his life problems. He has joined the yakuza not because he thought it would be cool, but because he admired his foster father's status and wanted to become someone, and had dreams, as most teenagers, especially orphans like him do. His lack of knowledge about the street life led him to joining without knowing the consequences. He is vulnerable, he has been through a lot, he's lost most of his comrades, and his good hearted nature is not his biggest strength, but his biggest weakness. Which led to many events in the series and harms done to Kiryu and his surroundings. He is tough in body but he has always refused to kill people, even if they were the worst scum. It's mostly because of what Kazama Shintaro, his foster father, taught him and his sworn brother Nishiki, to not repeat his sins. Kiryu's willpower always refused him to break in harshest situations, even despite his life being one large tragic event, he does that for the sake of the people he cares about. His character shows both the best and worst sides of kindness, and how you should regulate it depending on what you're going through, a relevant and important thing in everyday life, and on the streets. In the end, he unfortunately does not get a happy ending, and is forced to play dead, distancing himself from his family.

Second of all, Kiryu's character and personality is amazingly built, and it's vast and believable. I feel like there is no one who has played through the games and disliked him. He's a lovable guy, the one to have a drink and talk about life with. We learn his opinions on most subjects in many of hundreds to THOUSANDS of substories in the series (which in most of them he learns about new things and even changes his view on said subjects), and despite living a criminal lifestyle most of his life, he is usually just a normal chill guy, sometimes impulsive, goofy, lacks common sense when it comes to technology (as he spent 10 years in prison, when technology was during its revolution), has hard time paying bills for things et cetera. The seemingly invincible Dragon of Dojima is an somewhat ordinary guy with simple yet beautiful outlook on life and philosophy that can teach us various things.

So, that's my summary, Kazuma is a fictional character that I feel really attached to and in my opinion he's very well-written because of his balance of flaws and strengths, distinctive personality and mindset with many layers to it, philosophy on everyday and street life, and believability.

Back