• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Therefir

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Calculation Group
From the Calculations page:

"Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated. Often this kind of statements are hyperboles. However, should that not be the case one may assume that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.001 m/s."

0.001 m/s has been the value we have been using for a while for feats in which characters perceive the world as frozen.

But as we can see on the Calculations page, this value has no source or explanation as to why it was chosen specifically for this type of feat.

I have always thought that this value came from the speed of a snail, which moves so slowly that it seems to be "frozen" in our perspective.

However, multiple studies and books have concluded that the speed of the snail is actually 0.013 m/s:

Snail's Pace, Last Word, New Scientist, October 2001: "Snails have been measured at speeds of 0.048 kilometres per hour."

Doherty, James G. Natural History. Speed of Animals. March 1974: "Garden snail 0.03 mph."

The World Almanac and Book of Facts 1999. New Jersey: Primedia, 1998: 572: ""Garden snail, 0.03 mph."

There are animals slower than snails, such as banana slugs.

Branson, Branley Allan. World & I. 11, 5 (May 1996): 166: "A large banana slug has been observed to cover 6.5 inches in 120 minutes. At that rate, a tortoise would seem fleet-footed."

The point I'm trying to make is that the value of 0.001 m/s is completely arbitrary and is not really based on anything.

@DontTalkDT Have provided the following sources stating snails have a speed of 0.001 m/s (though the second one actually says 0.0018 m/s), but as we can see in both of these pages, none of them have studies supporting such statements, with the first page being just a calculator.

These are just pages saying the snails have x speed without further information about the exact origin of that value, and therefore unreliable.

So my proposal is to change the standard frozen speed we use for calcs, from 0.001 m/s to 0.013 m/s, and make the following change to the Calculations page:

""Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated. Often this kind of statements are hyperboles. However, should that not be the case one may assume that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.013 m/s, as that's the standardized speed of garden snails, animals that move so slowly that they appear to be frozen in our perspective."

0.013 m/s is the only value that is repeated across multiple different sources, so that's why I chose it over the others.

Damn, pretty sure I have told countless calc members to use 0.013 m/s instead and even linking it there. Even CloverDragon's own thread regarding the usage of the slow-mo formula for viewing moving objects as frozen (Technically this formula was already in the Calculations Guide page to my knowledge but very few people knew about it I believe, Clover just made it more accessible) tackled this IIRC, but I don't remember the thread anymore.

Last edited:
So, what we do now is amend the page and ask all best to check their own c all blogs for any slow motion feats and then apply any change necessary?

I know I'm not a calc group member, but as someone who frequently does calcs across different verses I would like to ask a question.

@Therefir You proposed to changing the current apparent speed of an object when perceived as slowed/stopped time from 0.001 m/s to 0.013 m/s. Though that would be correct if we were to continue on using a snail's average speed as a metric, I don't see why we can't use the speed of a Banana Slug as you've already mentioned in the OP:
Branson, Branley Allan. World & I. 11, 5 (May 1996): 166: "A large banana slug has been observed to cover 6.5 inches in 120 minutes. At that rate, a tortoise would seem fleet-footed."
This would be 0.0000229305556 m/s, and this seems to make more sense than to assume a snail.

Snails are already slow enough for the purposes of our calculations, there's no need to use the absolute slowest animal for these kind of feats.

We already have problems with time frozen calcs inflating results, making them 43 times more inflated would only greatly exacerbate those problems.

Either way, yeah, I'm fine with the changes.

The formula for slow mo calcs was already in the Calculation Guides pages IIRC, but I'll have to look again.

EDIT: Here it already be.

Snails are already slow enough for the purposes of our calculations, there's no need to use the absolute slowest animal for these kind of feats.

We already have problems with time frozen calcs inflating results, making them 43 times more inflated would only greatly exacerbate those problems.
Fair enough, but I feel like we should differentiate and object moving being seen and stopped or slowed. Maybe we can use the snail for slowed and the Banana Slug for stopped?

Fair enough, but I feel like we should differentiate and object moving being seen and stopped or slowed. Maybe we can use the snail for slowed and the Banana Slug for stopped?
Usually if it's not viewed in a near-frozen state or if there is a lack of statements referring to "frozen" in any capacity, I'd use normal human walking speed of 1.4 m/s or maybe tortoise/turtle speeds.

I am like 99% sure we've shifted to using 0.013 m/s already, the Calculations page just needs to be updated. Even the Common Feats page uses 0.013 m/s for common time frozen feats

Found the thread it was added.
Updating snail speed should be fine, I guess.
Slowed could be slowed by pretty much any amount, though. So I don't think it makes sense to assume some fixed factor for that one.

Thank you for the evaluation.

So has this revision received sufficient support to be applied then?

Thank you for helping out. Is there anything left to do here, or should we close this thread?

Some calcs would need updating, but that'd likely be a slower, gradual project rather than something tackled here.

Some calcs would need updating, but that'd likely be a slower, gradual project rather than something tackled here.
Agree
Maybe we lay down guidelines on how to approach original calc makers on how to amend their blogs.
If unsuccessful then we pick our free time to do these ourselves.

Okay. Thank you for helping out.

However, you may need help from Bambu or Damage with adjusting the blog calculations if the members who wrote the blogs are not active or do not respond.

Bump. Is there anything else left to do here? The calcs I believe can be updated gradually over time if people notice them I suppose.

Yes this thread can be closed unless one wants to use here as a monitoring station for progress of updating of data.

Yes this thread can be closed unless one wants to use here as a monitoring station for progress of updating of data.
What do the rest of you think about this suggestion?

Okay. We can probanly keep this thread open then.

I will have to unfollow it though.

Tbank you to everybody who have helped out here.

Bump

I would like the time frozen calc to be updated based on the snail speed
First off 0.013m/s has been refuted in 2016

"Since its publication in March 1974 issue of Natural History an estimate for the highest speed of garden snail equal to 0.03 mph (1.3 cm/s) became popular. However, the accuracy of this estimate has been questioned by Robert Cameron, who pointed out that in competitions between snails, only 2.4 mm/s speed had been achieved"

I confirmed this, when I checked for the fasted recorded snail (sorry, for some reason my 'insert link' option isn't working)

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/70393-fastest-snail-racing

The fastest ever recorded snail, Archie, completed a 0.33m platform in 2mins, which gives 0.00275 or 0.0028m/s, almost 5x less than what the publication in 1974 recorded, and this completions have held every year since around 1970, meaning in 53 years, not one snail has been able to match Archie's, let alone the so called estimated snail speed given in 1974 (which other sites copied)These race snails are bred and trained and dieted for racing. Also basically any modern pdf on snails also has their speed recorded as beneath Archie's
I believe we should use the list official snail speed record, the fasted one officially put down and who holds the record for the fasted speed is Archie, at 0.00275(or 0.0028)m/s, no 0.013m/s

I think that'd be best tackled in a new thread, people sometimes ignore old threads like this, and you're bringing up some pretty new points.

Bump

I would like the time frozen calc to be updated based on the snail speed
First off 0.013m/s has been refuted in 2016

"Since its publication in March 1974 issue of Natural History an estimate for the highest speed of garden snail equal to 0.03 mph (1.3 cm/s) became popular. However, the accuracy of this estimate has been questioned by Robert Cameron, who pointed out that in competitions between snails, only 2.4 mm/s speed had been achieved"

I confirmed this, when I checked for the fasted recorded snail (sorry, for some reason my 'insert link' option isn't working)

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/70393-fastest-snail-racing

The fastest ever recorded snail, Archie, completed a 0.33m platform in 2mins, which gives 0.00275 or 0.0028m/s, almost 5x less than what the publication in 1974 recorded, and this completions have held every year since around 1970, meaning in 53 years, not one snail has been able to match Archie's, let alone the so called estimated snail speed given in 1974 (which other sites copied)These race snails are bred and trained and dieted for racing. Also basically any modern pdf on snails also has their speed recorded as beneath Archie's
I believe we should use the list official snail speed record, the fasted one officially put down and who holds the record for the fasted speed is Archie, at 0.00275(or 0.0028)m/s, no 0.013m/s
Wouldn't that make our slow-mo calculations even faster?

I think that'd be best tackled in a new thread, people sometimes ignore old threads like this, and you're bringing up some pretty new points.
Do you want me to make a new thread for this?

If you hold those views, sure.

Back