• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 9-B Enter the Octagon Tournament: Finn Balor vs Deathstroke

Ok, I’m currently drafting up an article specifically on Bálor’s skill, since I think it gets underestimated sometimes, I’ll be back once that’s done, and I may have to sleep, uh, until I’m back please don’t blitz through a Deathstroke vote-

Ok here’s my little mini-essay on why Finn Bálor is a hell of a lot more skilled than people give him credit for at a glance

So let’s talk about what is often hugely overlooked about Bálor, his weight. He weighs in at around 190 lbs, but I’m sure you’re asking “hey, isn’t that a little light?” And you’d be absolutely right. You see, WWE had until recently another show, outside of the main roster, 205 Live. This was a show dedicated to wrestlers that are, well, 205 lbs and under. But why were they segregated like this? Well, it’s because, like most combat sports, WWE has weight classes to keep things fair. The general consensus is that most of the time, the < 205 lbs wrestlers are better amongst themselves, than inevitably getting squashed every week on Raw, Smackdown, or even NXT. However, there are exceptions, and Bálor is a prime example. I’m merely setting the context here that Bálor is punching above his weight class (literally) when he does all the amazing things he does in the main roster, which most of his weight couldn’t even reach.

So, let’s look at titles and other notable achievements. Ignoring the slew of titles and journalist awards Bálor has received before he rose to fame in WWE, he still holds a fearsome haul

- Inaugural WWE Universal Champion, beating Rusev, Kevin Owens, and Cesaro in a fatal four way match, before beating Roman Reigns the same night, and all of this just to get the chance to face (and beat) Seth Rollins (While Bálor did utilise the Demon for this title match, there is no evidence of a glaring gap in skill between them, and WWE officially attributes all of The Demon’s achievements to Bálor)

- Two Time WWE Intercontinental Champion

- WWE United States Champion

- 2 Time NXT Champion, holding the record for the longest combined title defence period in the history of WWE at 504 days as champ.

- NXT Male and Overall competitor of the year 2015

- Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 2015 Winner (w/ Samoa Joe)

- NXT Title #1 Contender Tournament Winner 2015

- Has faced off against the likes of Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Roman Reigns, and has pinned the latter two.

- Described officially by WWE as “one of the hottest WWE commodities in more than a decade”

And again, with all these achievements, considering his weight class, he certainly wasn’t doing it through power. No, it was skill. Skill is what has made Bálor, against all the odds imaginable, one of the best wrestlers in modern day WWE. And all of this is just a snapshot of his achievements, there’s slews of impressive wins, titles elsewhere than WWE, etc. etc.

So please do NOT come talking to me about how Slade’s martial arts mastery, which is commonplace in the higher levels of WWE, puts him anywhere above Bálor’s level, Bálor holds a skill advantage here. Period.

So please do NOT come talking to me about how Slade’s martial arts mastery, which is commonplace in the higher levels of WWE, puts him anywhere above Bálor’s level, Bálor holds a skill advantage here. Period.
Now it sounds like you're under playing Deathstroke, he's not just a martial arts master but one who can do the same things as Balor on the daily

Slade has been training his skills for years in unarmed and armed combat and just a few notable skill feats

-he can slice through multiple armed mercenaries in mere seconds showing that he can still fight and win despite being at a range disadvantage

-fought Yao Fei someone who was trained by Talia Al Ghul since they were young. Talia Al Ghul having nearly 70 years worth of experience, turning individuals like Yao Fei, Oliver and Adrian into extremely dangerous fighters with high levels of skill

-can come up with incredibly formulated plans and destroying Edward Fyers' compound alone, using only improvised explosives and distraction. meaning he's incredibly quick to come up with plans on the spot and proved to be able to make to most out of them.

-He also soundly beat and killed his former partner Billy Wintergreen, who was also a master combatant with enough skill to fight on par with Yao Fei Gulong. who as I said above was trained by someone with nearly 70 years worth of experience and still kept training himself after leaving her training.

-his Fighting style incorporates Escrima, Muay Thai, Karate, Silat, Boxing, Systema, Taekwondo, Jujitsu, and Judo making him an incredibly unpredictable fighter as he incorporates each one of these into his fighting style alongside his strategical prowess.

-he could fight against Green Arrow, someone who is incredibly unpredictable with his Trick arrows being able to cause all kinds of effects from Status Effects on the opponent, electrocute the opponent, and some that just straight up turn into flame burst. and Green Arrow is just as skilled without those displaying highly advanced skill and knowledge in many martial arts, able to incorporate Kali, Kenjutsu, Wing Chun, Sambo, Systema, Judo, Taekwondo, Hapkido, Capoeria, Pro Wrestling, Silat, and Muay Thai into his fighting styles. Slade had no problem matching Green Arrow in CQC

if we're talking Skill then Slade has easily shown stuff that puts him on Par with Balor if not far above him with experience against people with Pro Wrestling training that being Green Arrow. lets not mention how Slade is also Stronger and more Durable then Balor here (Balor is 191.1 KJ well Slade is 308.97 kilojoules), has access to weapons that give him piercing damage meaning his attacks are going to hurt far more then Balors would if he landed them, and well Slade is at the LS disadvantage, he has been shown to to make up for those disadvantages with his amazing intelligence and quick thinking to get him out of tight situations. even without his guns he still has access to ranged options such as his throwing daggers which well not as effect as his guns can still set up Balor for Slade to take advantage of the knfies distraction they can cause. All in all Slade soundly takes this fight without much difficulty

Last edited:
Slade has been training his skills for years in unarmed and armed combat and just a few notable skill feats
Years of training is the bare minimum to get into WWE, never mind rise to damn near the top level

he can slice through multiple armed mercenaries in mere seconds showing that he can still fight and win despite being at a range disadvantage
Bálor, and most WWE combatants, have fought against opponents wielding all kind of mid ranged weapons, which means that Slade dealing with a range disadvantage is not special, nor does it make his sword as effective a tool as it seems on paper. Also, ability at a range disadvantage is irrelevant for Slade, who (at least for a while) holds an advantage in that matter

fought Yao Fei someone who was trained by Talia Al Ghul since they were young. Talia Al Ghul having nearly 70 years worth of experience, turning individuals like Yao Fei, Oliver and Adrian into extremely dangerous fighters with high levels of skill
Experience only is impressive in context, how much of those 70 years were spent fighting, who against, etc. “High levels of skill” is lacking in description and at face value below Bálor’s abilities.

his Fighting style incorporates Escrima, Muay Thai, Karate, Silat, Boxing, Systema, Taekwondo, Jujitsu, and Judo making him an incredibly unpredictable fighter as he incorporates each one of these into his fighting style alongside his strategical prowess.
Bálor’s incredible career has had him face a great multitude of fighting styles and martial arts, variety in terms of a fighting style involving many just isn’t news to Bálor, since he’s dealt with so many martial arts being impressive in many isn’t going to do much other than maybe throw him a little off guard initially. Bálor can more than keep up.
lets not mention how Slade is also Stronger and more Durable then Balor here (Balor is 191.1 KJ well Slade is 308.97 kilojoules)
A 1.61x AP advantage is hardly much, and Bálor has spent his entire career an underdog in power, implying this is some game changer is disingenuous.

Piercing damage is an issue for Bálor, but again, he has experience with extended melee range and knows how to dodge and create openings in those situations. Bálor also will be able to disarm Slade thanks to advantages in skill and LS. Bálor is also hardly a strategic slouch himself, and we also need not forget Bálor has a pseudo home turf advantage, as fighting in an enclosed area is literally Bálor’s day job. Slade has impressive skills and his weaponry will cause Bálor issues no doubt, but Bálor has the skill, LS, and experience in the right fields to get the job done here with high difficulty.

All in all Slade soundly takes this fight without much difficulty
Honestly I’m a little insulted by this, you aren’t giving Bálor half the credit he deserves here

@Pikaman the mistake you made here was that the arguments you had for skill were fairly vague. I have some skill feats for the wrestlers Finn has fought up against, specifically Roman Reigns so bear with me here. It might take a while.

Roman Reigns:
Roman Reigns has fought against Brock Lesnar on numerous occasions, and has even won 2 of their battles. He's also defeated The Undertaker at Wrestlemania, becoming the 2nd person to do this. Now, let me show you some skill feats for Lesnar and Taker.

The Undertaker is considered the greatest pure striker in Sports Entertainment history. Even the likes of Kurt Angle was scared to take a punch from him.

If ya don't know Kurt Angle, he's notorious for winning a gold medal with a broken neck, who is this skilled, and was named the greatest shoot wrestler ever.

The Undertaker was undefeated at Wrestlemania for 21 straight years, so that also says alot.

The Undertaker also defeated Goldberg (this match was so shit, but just try to ignore that). Goldberg had a winning streak of 173-0 at one point, so even more impressive.

To pour more salt into the wound, Andre the Giant was undefeated for 15 straight years.

Hulk Hogan was able to defeat Andre the Giant, breaking his undefeated 15 year streak.

The Undertaker was able to defeat Hulk Hogan on two different occasions.

Might I mention that The Undertaker has had wars with the likes of Brock Lesnar.

Lesnar had a record of 106-5 in his 4 years of college wrestling at the NCAA, as well as winning the NCAA Division I Heavyweight Championship.

Lesnar also had a UFC career. Lesnar also ended the iconic 21-year Wrestlemania win streak of The Undertaker.

Now, I wouldn't say that Finn is quite on this level of skill, but he was able to hold his own against Roman Reigns, who's defeated The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar, who's done all of this, so he should at best, be comparable to it. Not exactly equal, but for sure comparable.

And this is a guy who (like Pika said) shouldn't even be competing against these guys, because he'd get "destroyed" because of the size difference.

I don't think the skill gap for either side is significant. At best, either man has a slight advantage over the other. Slade knows a lot of different Martial Arts, and is a very good tactician/strategist, but to underestimate Balor here in skill is a big mistake. Besides, even if Slade has the skill advantage (which again, won't be a big edge at all), WWE wrestlers have dealt with these kind of disadvantages before, Balor being a prime example. He was always seen as the underdog in most of his rivalries. He lives off of being underestimated.

In all honesty, this might be an Incon, but I'll hold off on voting until more points come across for each side.

Bálor, and most WWE combatants, have fought against opponents wielding all kind of mid ranged weapons, which means that Slade dealing with a range disadvantage is not special, nor does it make his sword as effective a tool as it seems on paper. Also, ability at a range disadvantage is irrelevant for Slade, who (at least for a while) holds an advantage in that matter
said mid range weapons aren't exactly going to cut your limbs off or leave you with massive slashes in your body and he doesn't just carry his sword on him, he's got his Katana, Combat knife, Throwing knife all of which he carries on him at all times. I never mentioned him being at the range advantage in this fight, it was just a point I brought up, him having the range advantage with throwing knifes and his Katana only gives him a greater advantage here
Experience only is impressive in context, how much of those 70 years were spent fighting, who against, etc. “High levels of skill” is lacking in description and at face value below Bálor’s abilities.
"High levels of Skill" is not lacking, she trained people to match her fighting styles and Skill in Combat, her students trained in other ones as well such as wing chun, eskrima, jiujitsu, Muay Thai, Karate, Silat, Boxing, Systema, and just so much more onto that list, Deathstroke can match these fighters with ease. and the "how much of those were spent fighting" same thing for Balor, its not like hes constantly fighting, sure he can fight those matches but it isnt like he's constantly training himself and 70 years worth even if some is not spent fighting is still incredibly impressive
Bálor’s incredible career has had him face a great multitude of fighting styles and martial arts, variety in terms of a fighting style involving many just isn’t news to Bálor, since he’s dealt with so many martial arts being impressive in many isn’t going to do much other than maybe throw him a little off guard initially. Bálor can more than keep up.

A 1.61x AP advantage is hardly much, and Bálor has spent his entire career an underdog in power, implying this is some game changer is disingenuous.
"great multitude of fighting styles and martial art" what exactly? Slade has faced so much more if we're talking about seeing and from characters with his own level of Skill from Escrima, Muay Thai, Karate, Silat, Boxing, Systema, Taekwondo, Jujitsu, Judo, wing chun. Balor has fought against characters with incredibly long history in WWE but im not seeing anything that says he's fought against different martial arts to the level that Slade has fought against and again Slade combined each one of those listed into his fighting style which means he'll be more unpredictable then if he just knew how to fight with those styles.

its small but notable alongside his bladed weapons giving him an edge for greater damage that can be done on the long term.
Piercing damage is an issue for Bálor, but again, he has experience with extended melee range and knows how to dodge and create openings in those situations. Bálor also will be able to disarm Slade thanks to advantages in skill and LS. Bálor is also hardly a strategic slouch himself, and we also need not forget Bálor has a pseudo home turf advantage, as fighting in an enclosed area is literally Bálor’s day job. Slade has impressive skills and his weaponry will cause Bálor issues no doubt, but Bálor has the skill, LS, and experience in the right fields to get the job done here with high difficulty.
he has experience against melee range weapons sure but not against melee range users like Slade, he fought and killed his Partner, Billy Wintergreen, in a sword-fight, and again Billy Wintergreen was just as skilled as Slade as he was also a master combatant with enough skill to fight on par with Yao Fei Gulong. even if Slade is disarmed he can still fight with highly advanced unarmed combat skills, being armed just added onto that, lets not forget that Slade has access to other blades in his arsenal like the Combat knife hidden in his boot. the Arena isn't going to be complicated for Slade to figure out at all, its literally an Octogon having a "pseudo home turf advantage" isn't gonna mean much in the long term as Slades intelligence and wits can make up for that. Skill and Experience that Slade can easily match if not surpass, his only real disadvantage here is LS which could be a problem but against Slade has the intelligence to make up for any disadvantage or with few resources he is given. Slade holds the AP/Durability Advantage, is matched if not far superior to Balor is Skill and Experience, his bladed weapons give him greater Range with Daggers giving him greater then that, incredibly smart and can make up for any disadvantages he has. if anything it'll be like him fighting Green Arrow, Billy Wintergreen, or Yao Fei Gulong all over again.

Last edited:
I don't think the skill gap for either side is significant. At best, either man has a slight advantage over the other. Slade knows a lot of different Martial Arts, and is a very good tactician/strategist, but to underestimate Balor here in skill is a big mistake. Besides, even if Slade has the skill advantage (which again, won't be a big edge at all), WWE wrestlers have dealt with these kind of disadvantages before, Balor being a prime example. He was always seen as the underdog in most of his rivalries. He lives off of being underestimated.
To further drive this point home, after putting up a hell of a fight against Brock Lesnar, Lesnar attacked Balor from behind after the match ended, which the commentators stated that Balor made a believer out of Lesnar, which is why Lesnar is attacking him. To sum it up, Brock for a good moment, thought that Balor had a chance of beating him (you can tell by how much in pain Brock is in after the match that Balor gave him a good fight).

said mid range weapons aren't exactly going to cut your limbs off or leave you with massive slashes in your body
The affects of the weapons are irrelevant to my argument, my point is Bálor has the skill and experience to dodge and deal with weapons like swords
"great multitude of fighting styles and martial art" what exactly? Slade has faced so much more if we're talking about seeing and from characters with his own level of Skill from Escrima, Muay Thai, Karate, Silat, Boxing, Systema, Taekwondo, Jujitsu, Judo, wing chun. Balor has fought against characters with incredibly long history in WWE but im not seeing anything that says he's fought against different martial arts to the level that Slade has fought against.
Shoot Wrestling, Greco-Roman, MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Capoeira, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, just as a sample of the martial arts used in WWE. I’m sure there’s more as well.
Slade can easily match if not surpass
If you’ve read all the messages above and have come to the conclusion Slade can “easily match if not surpass” someone like Bálor in skill that’s a you problem at this point.

Bladed weapons are not the trump card you think they are, Bálor has the experience facing range disadvantages and knows how to deal with them, he can disarm Slade with his short ranged knives, dodge his attacks with long ranged blades, and combine the two for things like Slade’s katana. Slade has impressive variety and equipment, and it’s enough to more than give him a fighting chance, but IMO

• Bálor edges him in skill
  • Has the experience and techniques to deal with blades
  • Also, let’s not forget as with Jericho and Tsukasa Bálor can hit a finisher and it’ll be lights out for Slade
  • Has the superior LS and is enough of a tactician to not be totally outclassed by Slade

And all the points above simply outweigh the handful of advantages Slade does get over Bálor, even if they are distinctive

The affects of the weapons are irrelevant to my argument, my point is Bálor has the skill and experience to dodge and deal with weapons like swords

Shoot Wrestling, Greco-Roman, MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Capoeira, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, just as a sample of the martial arts used in WWE. I’m sure there’s more as well.

If you’ve read all the messages above and have come to the conclusion Slade can “easily match if not surpass” someone like Bálor in skill that’s a you problem at this point.

Bladed weapons are not the trump card you think they are, Bálor has the experience facing range disadvantages and knows how to deal with them, he can disarm Slade with his short ranged knives, dodge his attacks with long ranged blades, and combine the two for things like Slade’s katana. Slade has impressive variety and equipment, and it’s enough to more than give him a fighting chance, but IMO

• Also, let’s not forget as with Jericho and Tsukasa Bálor can hit a finisher and it’ll be lights out for Slade
  • Has the superior LS and is enough of a tactician to not be totally outclassed by Slade

And all the points above simply outweigh the handful of advantages Slade does get over Bálor, even if they are distinctive
Oh and I might as well make this official I am voting Bálor for the reasons I have surmised thus far

"great multitude of fighting styles and martial art"
Kickboxing, MMA/UFC, Shoot Wrestling (greatest of all time level btw), Striking (greatest of all time btw), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Wrestling in general.

Finn Balor also defeated Pete Dunne, who's fighting style revolves around brawling, stiff strikes, submission grappling, and bending of his opponents fingers (Small Joint Manipulation), which will leave someone extremely handicapped in a fight, especially since wrestling is all about striking, grappling and holding, and you can't do that without functioning fingers.

Yes, this feels a replica of Tsukasa v Jericho. Two opponents roughly matched in skill, one has blades, the other the experience to deal with them, and the finisher to lock the match up when needed in an incredibly close affair

Yes, this feels a replica of Tsukasa v Jericho. Two opponents roughly matched in skill, one has blades, the other the experience to deal with them, and the finisher to lock the match up when needed in an incredibly close affair
Btw, Balor will have to rely on the 1916 for his finishing move, as I can't see him doing the Coup de Grâce in the octagon lol

i've read each of your so called "points" and have not been convinced at all, it feels more like you haven't read any of mine as you simply rely on "bAlOr HaS mOrE sKiLl" when i've already proven that is far from the case as Slade easily has him matched.

I never relied on Bladed weapons being a trump card you say I have, ive been saying they give him an advantage since piercing damage can be amazing at times. I agreed he could disarm Slade but again it isn't gonna mean much as Slade is just as skilled in CQC with his fist as he is with a blade. you're acting like Balor is some untouchable dodging god like Sans when that is far from the case, just because he has "experience dodging melee weapons" doesn't make him untouchable by Slade, he's dealt with opponents on par with him in sword fights and with his intelligence can easily predict where Balor would dodge and immediately react there for a clean hit on Balor. its not just his impressive variety and equipment, he's stronger and more durable meaning he'll be harder to take down, has Balor matched in CQC combat and bladed weapons well allow for greater damage on Balor, his sheer intelligence well allow him to be far quicker on his feet and even without little options can still make the most of things and figure out how to win.

The points above for Slade have already disproven anything you've said, his only real advantage here is LS and the finisher which yknow would have to hit Slade which can be difficult as Slade can match other fighters in CQC like Green Arrow who as ive said countless times IS JUST AS SKILLED AS SLADE IS IN COMBAT.

I think you should read the explanations I gave for Balor for skill.

No disrespect to Pika whatsoever, but what he said was fairly vague. I have a whole list of feats that Balor either compares or is equal to.

I think you should read the explanations I gave for Balor for skill.

No disrespect to Pika whatsoever, but what he said was fairly vague. I have a whole list of feats that Balor either compares or is equal to.
i've read that as well, sure Balor can fight with people who have insane years or were "undefeated" but again Slade can match those who are on par with him and fight those with insane years of experience in skill just as Balor can

Last edited:
i've read that as well, sure Balor can fight with people who have insane years or were "undefeated" but again Slade can match those who are on par with him in skill just Balor can match those with insane skill feats
So you're telling me being undefeated for 15 years straight won't match up to Slade's skill at all?

Come on dude. The very least you can do here is acknowledge that the skill gap between these two isn't big at all. You can argue that Slade is more skilled or whatever (like I said before, WWE wrestlers have dealt with the skill/experience disadvantage before on numerous occasions), but you can at the very least acknowledge the fact that the skill gap seriously isn't as big as you're making it out to be.

Slade takes this mid diff, he has countless weapons, and as with his job, likely knows countless ways to use them and kill with a single hit. It's not even him inflicting a bleeding out wound, it's him quite literally killing outright with a punctured lung or ruptured vital artery or two, Many of Balor's finishers are ultimately predictable, many of Balor's skill feats tie into his weaknesses, which require him to use a transformation in order to come on top, one that I don't think is useable here, it's essentially what happens when you send a trained killer against someone, Slade's every attack is going to be dangerous, and there. The disarming argument isn't going to work against a weapon that also has longer reach, a deadly edge, and can be used in a 2 handed grip, for Balor to win, he's going to have to deal with numerous weapons, all of which being very able to kill him quickly

So you're telling me being undefeated for 15 years straight won't match up to Slade's skill at all?
argueably, Slade's job killing him if he gets defeated speaks volumes if he messes up for being comparable

Come on dude. The very least you can do here is acknowledge that the skill gap between these two isn't big at all. You can argue that Slade is more skilled or whatever (like I said before, WWE wrestlers have dealt with the skill/experience disadvantage before on numerous occasions), but you can at the very least acknowledge the fact that the skill gap seriously isn't as big as you're making it out to be.
I never said that at all, I clearly have acknowledged that the skill gap isn't huge, actually nothing I said in that post implied I was saying Slade was still far more skilled "Slade can match those who are on par with him and fight those with insane years of experience in skill just as Balor can" clearly me saying Balor can do the same that Slade has

I never said that at all, I clearly have acknowledged that the skill gap isn't huge, actually nothing I said in that post implied I was saying Slade was still more skilled "Slade can match those who are on par with him and fight those with insane years of experience in skill just as Balor can" clearly me saying Balor can do the same that Slade has
Alright. I'll give you that.

FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK

Tbh I saw this coming from the start with slade

out of everyone, I'd say he has the greatest chance of winning
Chris Jericho would like to know your location

We'll get to Jericho vs Slade if either of these two make it to the finals (which is very likely).

For my personal opinions on this, i'm currently leaning towards Slade winning this. Do not take this as a vote as I'd like to see future discussion, but if it doesn't happen then this is essentially my vote for Slade. Slade's arsenal and skill with it just doesn't leave Finn much opportunities to do much in the way of actually winning the fight.

I still think the skill gap is roughly even for both of these. You can make an argument for either side being more skilled, but it won't really matter, as the skill gap will be very small.

Deathstroke's weaponry will be extremely tough to fight against for Balor.

Back