• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 0 Revision

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
Yeah, I'm just going to say it: now that we treat tiers High 1-A and 0 as simple modifiers for the highest-ranking beings in a verse... why do we still keep them?

My first problem lies in Tier 0's definition:

Beings that are boundlessly above absolutely everything, including the concepts of life and death, existence and nonexistence, dualism and non-dualism, and their analogues at any level.

Erm... didn't we agree that stuff like this is nonsense? We have fodder 1-A characters who are considered as "beyond all concepts" such as Hypnos from the Cthulhu Mythos; and I'm fairly certain that such descriptions were recently ruled to be flowery language.

Next, the Immortality page was recently edited to say the following:

It should be noted that no Immortality is truly perfect, and no matter how much a character's immortality is hyped up within their own setting, it is very, very unlikely that they are truly completely unkillable when matched up against characters from other fictions.

Remember the old Type 5 Immortality? You know, the one which was basically this? It was "typically reserved for questionable omnipotents". What I just quoted basically now says that that kind of immortality is totally impossible. So why, then, has the Tiering System not been modified to reflect this?

The third and final thing I will address is something to be taken straight from the Omnipotence page itself. To quote:

Despite the many theological and philosophical perspectives regarding omnipotence and its paradoxes, the term is something that is completely impossible to prove or demonstrate on any conceivable level.

By its very definition, it is something that cannot be used to measure a character, and claims of omnipotence, no matter how complex or developed, should never be viewed as evidence.

In addition, our system is built on hierarchies, with tier 0 defined as possessing absolute transcendence above all other beings within the system, but raw power and stature do not necessarily carry over to the complete versatility of omnipotence.

As you can see, the very page itself (and so does DarkLK, the Tiering System Guru) says that true boundless is absolutely impossible to prove, at least within the fictional context.

~

So, with these arguments out of the way, I'd like to propose a replacement to High 1-A and 0: Top 1-A.

Here is my rough approximation of how it will be defined:

Beings that stand at the very top of their respective verse's hierarchy, being functionally boundless within said verse's context.

Take note that being at the highest degree of 1-A represented in the verse is usually not enough to qualify one for this tier. In order to be considered, it must be reliably proven that they are definitely at the top of their verse's food chain in some form.

Also note that characters can have minor limitations and still qualify for Top 1-A, as long as a lower character cannot affect them in any significant way.

Lastly, not all Top 1-A characters are equal. These characters simply represent the epitome of some outerversal hierarchy, which may be less expansive compared to another.

As for "Questionable Omnipotence", I personally don't care what the staff members do with it should this idea go through.

(Staff should move this to the staff board, assuming they're willing to discuss this proposal)

"We have fodder 1-A characters who are considered as "beyond all concepts" such as Hypnos from the Cthulhu Mythos"

It was the Archetypes/Ultimate Gods who were explicitly stated to transcend all conceptions of boundaries, size, being, etc., not Hypnos. The former are very high-end 1-A both in their verse and in general, while the latter is not.

Really just clearing that up.

Also, it is possible to get appropriate definitions for characters that are truly boundless even compared to regular 1-A characters, including The Creator (Umineko no Naku Koro ni), Azathoth, and The Law of Identity.

I am definitely not willing to throw away DarkLK's tiering system for one that simply ranks characters from being the strongest 1-A within a certain setting.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
"We have fodder 1-A characters who are considered as "beyond all concepts" such as Hypnos from the Cthulhu Mythos"
It was the Archetypes/Ultimate Gods who were explicitly stated to transcend all conceptions of boundaries, size, being, etc., not Hypnos. The former are very high-end 1-A both in their verse and in general, while the latter is not.

Really just clearing that up.
This is the reason why you should help me with Umineko pages, and not someone else.

DarkLK said:
This is the reason why you should help me with Umineko pages, and not someone else.
Believe me, I will. This semester should be winding down for me relatively soon, which should give me a bit more free time to get organized.

Back