• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Shade Lord vs The Strict Hermit (D&D Homebrew vs SAO Tabletop RPG)

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
Round two of SAOTTRPG vs D&D. Suggested by DMUA so I'm sure something will come about to make one side hax the other into a stomp.

Vaeru from D&D Homebrew will be used. I will make the case for him, even though he's not my character I have the most expertise and I can talk to the guy that runs him.

The Strict Hermit from SAO:TTRPG will be used. I assume DMUA will debate for him.

Speed equalized, High 7-A Vaerun vs 7-B Strict Hermit because we all know AP don't mean shit in these parts.

Takes place on the twelfth floor so Hermit can resurrect so long as he is not interrupted. Starting distance is 100 meters. Just for ***** and giggles, we'll allow Vaerun his first clone so he also has a single ressurect.

Who wins?

Vaerun: 3

Hermit:

Incon: 1

Grave at 5 PM EST

Mr. Bambu said:
Suggested by DMUA so I'm sure something will come about to make one side hax the other into a stomp.
Dies of laughter then proceeds to feel depressed

Ancestor vs Mind Flayer intensifies

Alright so as we talked about on Discord, the jist of the fight is

>AP Gap means Vaerun can really make The Hermit abuse ressurection, but Real Damage spam via The Truth allows The Hermit to rip Vaerun apart, which is bad because he loves spamming that with his Danmaku and other moves. Of course, Regen will allow Vaerun to recover.

>Vaerun R E S I S T S a majority of The Hermit's arsenal, but not Resistance Bypassing Power Nullification, which would leave Vaerun a sitting duck to get blasted by Real Damage, not to mention Self Destruction could probably outright wipe Vaerun off the map completely.

>Vearun however can use a variety of abilites to get past ressurection, and such abilites as Timestop will allow Vaerun to take complete control of the fight.

So in the end?

Incon probably

Ressurection negation isn't an opening move for Vaerun, though he'd figure out quick to use it. The first thing The Hermit does after reviving is Powernull, so it's possible that The Hermit comes back and Vaerun flops on the ground helpless. Of course, Vaerun can timestop and deal with him that way. It's just generally a test of who draws what in the right way to win.

While the ressurection negation isn't opening for Vaerun...

It is passive for Sphere of Annihilation

In that anything short of the Low 2-Cs and up of the verse can't resurrect

Also

How fast can Hermit actually do this stuff

FOOORRKRKOEJDIDNDJSNNS BAAAAMMMBVV BBVISJSJEKEJEJSN

Not fast enough for passive forkery

DMUA said:
FOOORRKRKOEJDIDNDJSNNS BAAAAMMMBVV BBVISJSJEKEJEJSN

Not fast enough for passive forkery
Passive at touch range tho

Keep that in mind

If it touches him, that part of him is toasted

And isn't coming back

But how does Hermit's stuff work?

Much better then

Well, he's a ranged fighter mostly, he spams Danmaku attacks which cover the entire room. Not much else to say

OHK is useless against a flight user or generally someone under speed Equal who isn't a complete moron

Powernull is just a debuff that can't be removed normally, and bypasses normal resistances. It activates upon the Hermit's second life as shown in game, but then again, it might have to do with a Giant hand coming out of his boss room and grabbing the opponent, which is a no-go if he's a walking Sphere of Annihlation

"Room" being how big

Also I assume the power null is passive, correct? What all has it shown to work on?

Also Vaerun isn't the walking sphere

He just has it with him

It is linked to him, it goes where Vaerun wants it to.

... purposefully unspecified because of the "Turn Range system", IE, distance is measured in how long it takes to get there, not in how long the distance actually is. A turn range is anywhere from a few meters to 8 Kilometers, no kidding.

Not passive, it passively activates upon his second life via a God Hand reaching out and grabbing the target.

DMUA said:
... purposefully unspecified because of the "Turn Range system", IE, distance is measured in how long it takes to get there, not in how long the distance actually is. A turn range is anywhere from a few meters to 8 Kilometers, no kidding.
Not passive, it passively activates upon his second life via a God Hand reaching out and grabbing the target.
so what you're saying is

Vaerun speaks at him

out speeds him because talking > moving

and he dies

resurrects

vaerun speaks again

make's sure to soul bind this time to neg resurrection

good ole gg match

unless Hermit has something else, which I assume they do because it is never that simple

The Truth is a thought based bonus action and Danmaku is done with a few simple motions that probably don't get outspeed by speaking a few words

Speaking a word.

A word.

That has no distance to cross.

Danmaku has distance to cross.

And forcefields to pierce.

Real Damage bypasses defenses

Not go mention him speaking a word doesn't get rid of the attacks that are sent out in droves

... Actually now that I think about it, Type 2 allows him to barely survive Large Mountain level attacks such as Smite, so, he does have at least one shot before dying.

DMUA said:
Real Damage bypasses defenses
Not go mention him speaking a word doesn't get rid of the attacks that are sent out in droves

... Actually now that I think about it, Type 2 allows him to barely survive Large Mountain level attacks such as Smite, so, he does have at least one shot before dying.
Again

Danmaku has to cross some distance

against a character that can speed amp to avoid it

and the word doesn't need to get rid of the attacks

and the word isn't a physical attack, it is Death Hax

except this time you knew

although I will say this in your defence

Hermit has at least something of a win condition

in that it can harm and feasibly kill Vaerun

just

stupidly not likely

Well I mean

Literally the only thing that would get in the way of Vaerun no uing The Strict Hermit's everything is PIS it seems from what I'm seeing

More like being overwhelmed with danmaku

Which is possible, I suppose

but

unlikely since he can speed amp once he sees stuff coming

So PIS into not doing anything about Danmaku

... Not that PIS would even make the longhaul considering Regen is within SBA time and Vaerun can just get back up after being nuked

Also you gave him a free clone so he wouldn't even need Regen

Right if he has nothing else

Voting Vaerun since this site is scummy and allows it.

He speaks at the boye, fails to kill permanently, sets up resurrection neg and speaks again.

I still think it's a stomp because Vaerun no us in every concevable fashion

DMUA said:
I still think it's a stomp because Vaerun no us in every concevable fashio
yeah but you think everything is a stomp

including hax that the character resists

Bushes are stomps yes

Also matches where a character's only wincon is the other guy getting slapped upside the head with PIS are also stomps

DMUA said:
Bushes are stomps yes
Also matches where a character's only wincon is the other guy getting slapped upside the head with PIS are also stomps
I will go quote the stomp page real quick if you like

That page probably needs a bit of a change honestly

Cause it's not necessarily a matter of "immedate" really

Even if it takes a few steps, a character having absolutely no logical way to win is a character having no logical way to win

It had a change based on this sorta stuff

Into what it is now

And they do have a way to win

Also, I believe certain cases still allow that

Via outlasting and stuff

So like

It was created because we never agreed on what a stomp was

.... Okay we still can't agree but we agree slightly more

But again

Literally his only wincon is PIS slapping Vaerun and his everything upside the head

I disagree. His win condition is Vaerun being distracted by the danmaku,doing something about it IS still distracting.

He could also roll a fumble and kill himself. That's aways possible with a DnD character.

Darkmon cns said:
I disagree. His win condition is Vaerun being distracted by the danmaku,doing something about it IS still distracting.
He could also roll a fumble and kill himself. That's aways possible with a DnD character.
The fumble bit no, since that's game mechanics but yeah, danmaku has never not been an issue.

Apparently something you can perceive and easily evade with speed amps is problematic for intellegent lifeforms

And even assuming he gets slapped with PIS one time, he still has a free resurrect to correct that

And even if he gets slapped a second time, it's extremely unlikely that it even destroys him enough to get past Regen (which is combat applicable)

Literally The Hermit gets smacked upside the head with PIS included into the match

Speed amps that must be used in response, keep in mind.

And so does homeboy. Infinite ressurections until Vaerun manages to sever that.

The really good regen isn't. It takes twelve hours, which means not a loss, just a lot of time in your favor.

And literally the only reason he would not use it is a massive lapse in judgement. Then again, there's nothing stopping him from just dodging like a normal person

Which he has several methods to deal with and a brain with enough capacity to think "maybe I should stop hitting him with stuff he comes back from"

Incap time is 24. He gets back up in half so he's still in the game.

So

Your arguments are

Your character has no method of overwhelming and thus this is a stomp

Despite having ways to kill, just having it be incredibly difficult because Vaerun can account for them

This isn't winless

This isn't a case where one character instantly kills the other gg no re

This isn't even a case where passives decide

This is a case where you suggested to me a character that has valid methods of winning via nulling and piercing resistances, it is simply more likely that Vaerun can overcome his infinite respawns with magic he uses in character

You see I thought that, then you told me he apparently passively eats everything that comes near him making Powernull useless, he has speed amps to casually evade Danmaku which is literally the only way he can do all of anything, Vaerun can end his existence via speaking twice, and I realized that the dude has an unlimited use "get out of PIS" card along with an instant varient

Opinions change very quickly when you lay out the situation

DUDE

AAAAAAAAAH

No

I told you the Sphere of Annihilatio does that

I also told you it acts independently of Vaerun, and if you read the page it linked to, you'd realize it's a bloody big hole that sucks things in

It isn't around Vaerun

That would be suicide

It generally is away from him by about 40 ft

Mr. Bambu said:

This is what you said in response to him getting grabbed by a Powernull hand (also didn't specify, but mind you, a Powernull hand grabbing him from the wall behind him)

Kinda leaves a pretty specific implication

DMUA said:
Mr. Bambu said:

This is what you said in response to him getting grabbed by a Powernull hand (also didn't specify, but mind you, a Powernull hand grabbing him from the wall behind him)
Kinda leaves a pretty specific implication
Yeah

That it is passive for the sphere

That thing that has the page

The implication is that it can work

But it is speed equal too

And Vaerun doesn't open with that resurrection negation, he just can do it

Darkmon cns said:
Frankly I've seen more hopeless looking matches get added before.
If they really were more hopeless then they shouldn't have been added

Either way considering the Sphere is a bad idea to counter God Hand, dunno why you even brought it up to confuse me

Back to incon then, Resistance negating Powernull vs Vaerun probably speedamping to avoid danmaku and thereby being fast enough to evade the Godhand

Back