• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Self-Reference Engine Introduction Thread (Actually a cosmology discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vsbw pseudo intellectuals
No one here called themselves or were referred to as an intellectual, pseudo or otherwise. Following a limited system made to describe fiction, a usually illogical construct in itself, is not indicative or contradictory to any supposed level of intelligence and thinking otherwise is a laughable idea as well as mind boggling tbh.
quantifying things literally beyond any possible description. Love to see it
Something that literally every versus community has done in the history of ever. Even OBD and comicvine, with much looser systems of ratings, do not use 'lol descriptions' as supportive evidence for anything because it is vague and used for literally anything that doesn't conform to the usual laws of physics in media. I don't understand why you're pretending to think Vsbattles is in anyway special in this area.

Try to use a feat like Giratina's distortion world being called incomprehensible or even vague eldritch descriptions of characters as an indication of literally any range of power anywhere. If you are not laughed off that site I will salute you.

Last edited:
That also applies to mathemathics nerds so meh
It's not like mathematics is the exact opposite of mysticism or anything kek.

No one here called themselves or were referred to as an intellectual, pseudo or otherwise. Following a limited system made to describe fiction, a usually illogical construct in itself, is not indicative or contradictory to any supposed level of intelligence and thinking otherwise is a laughable idea as well as mind boggling tbh.
I didn't say anyone called themselves an intellectual. You probably missed the point of my joke.

Something that literally every versus community has done in the history of ever.
I have rarely seen people using "Bro character X is beyond language" arguments. Most communities just use different methods of quantifying cosmologies and haxes, and most such systems are usually within human comprehension.
Even OBD and comicvine, with much looser systems of ratings, do not use 'lol descriptions' as supportive evidence for anything because it is vague and used for literally anything that doesn't conform to the usual laws of physics in media. I don't understand why you're pretending to think Vsbattles is in anyway special in this area.
I have no clue what you are talking about here. Tier 0's definition is literally being considered for a change to stuff like being literally beyond description. So yes vswiki is special here.

Try to use a feat like Giratina's distortion world being called incomprehensible or even vague eldritch descriptions of characters as an indication of literally any range of power anywhere. If you are not laughed off that site I will salute you.
Trust me I am the last person you will see using such arguments.

I didn't say anyone called themselves an intellectual. You probably missed the point of my joke.
I'm sorry, that did sound too accusatory. I merely meant that no one was really treating this debate like an intellectual discussion. Or at least, no more than the curiosity of determining 'whose stronker'. The joke kind of came out of left field.
I have rarely seen people using "Bro character X is beyond language" arguments. Most communities just use different methods of quantifying cosmologies and haxes, and most such systems are usually within human comprehension.
That's kind of my point. Vsbattles is not exactly unique in this regard.
I have no clue what you are talking about here. Tier 0's definition is literally being considered for a change to stuff like being literally beyond description. So yes vswiki is special here.
Er, I agree that tier 0 is incredibly vague but what you're stating has never been implemented into the wiki, or at least in recent history.

Tier 0 is the exception only in the fact that it has no technical upper limit so logically this is possible but no such entity currently exists on the wiki.

Tier 0 is currently treated as just like any other rating and has several reference points in verse as well as in relation to how we rate things.

Usually it is just in relation to High 1-A characters. Since comparisons are still being made these tier 0 entities thus logically cannot be beyond comprehension in the manner in which you mean.

Otherwise, as in the case of the now downgraded downstreamers, this tier can be reached mathematically. Woodin cardinals are agreed to be the starting point of tier 0 in that upgrade thread iirc. Also, since mathematics even includes things so large that even logic breaks down, the terminology has to be ridiculously explicit and specific to be beyond description in any quantifiable sense because what you're proposing sounds too close to meaninglessness, something our omnipotence page disagrees with on principle.

Long story short beyond definition is like omnipotence. It can be a supporting evidence for that tier but it means nothing by itself. Technically we even use it as supporting evidence for High 1-A ratings. I can just as easily slap both statements on a low 2-C entity and it wouldn't matter. At all. Since Low 2-C entities also have these statements.

Our tier 0 sucks booty, that's been known. Whole reason nu-0 exists
Absolutely. High 1-A and tier 0 annoy me simply because a lot of the information regarding these tiers are not referenced anywhere that they should be. It's bs that newcomers have to ask questions about this stuff or scour the site for every scrap of information to explain why they are currently not being used in the way that they're explained to be. It honestly doesn't help the fact that the people who made this thing are kind of busy and don't have the time to help out every person whose scratching their heads over this stuff.

I honestly think I should make a thread about it because as much as I love cosmic stuff, I actually don't want to be spending my time explaining this stuff so often and so unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Otherwise, as in the case of the now downgraded downstreamers, this tier can be reached mathematically. Woodin cardinals are agreed to be the starting point of tier 0 in that upgrade thread iirc.
true, though the starting point for tier 0's are mahlo cardinals unless im misinterpreting something here.
Also, since mathematics even includes things so large that even logic breaks down, the terminology has to be ridiculously explicit and specific to be beyond description in any quantifiable sense because what you're proposing sounds too close to meaninglessness, something our omnipotence page disagrees with on principle.
Nu-0 hasn't even been properly constructed so i find this rather mute. Hell i make jokes all the time saying it'll never come out because of it. Afaik it'll be like something akin to apophatic theology in that regard.
Absolutely. High 1-A and tier 0 annoy me simply because a lot of the information regarding these tiers are not referenced anywhere that they should be. It's bs that newcomers have to ask questions about this stuff or scour the site for every scrap of information to explain why they are currently not being used in the way that they're explained to be. It honestly doesn't help the fact that the people who made this thing are kind of busy and don't have the time to help out every person whose scratching their heads over this stuff.
Why explain an outdated tier that's probably getting changed sometime in this millennium (hopefully), jokes aside, i'd rather an updated tier 0 rather than a more explained version.
I honestly think I should make a thread about it because as much as I love cosmic stuff, I actually don't want to be spending my time explaining this stuff so often and so unnecessarily.
Would be an entertaining read so id like for you to make one.

Woodin cardinals are agreed to be the starting point of tier 0 in that upgrade thread iirc.
Uhh no it's actually strong mahlo.
Long story short beyond definition is like omnipotence. It can be a supporting evidence for that tier but it means nothing by itself. Technically we even use it as supporting evidence for High 1-A ratings. I can just as easily slap both statements on a low 2-C entity and it wouldn't matter. At all. Since Low 2-C entities also have these statements.
Agreed.
Do what you do i guess.

Alright im still kinda new (just joined a few hours ago actually.) but with the current standard of the wiki isn't this verse a clear 1a?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back