• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Power of the Maw (Vanilla Ice vs Alex Mercer)

TacticalNuke002 said:
Ice is not really stupid. Its just that he values his devotion to DIO above his own safety. And I heard that getting poked through your brain stem and brain and having your spine broken will make you act stupider than normal.
Unless Alex insults DIO for whatever reason, Ice is not going to act stupid.
are we forgeting that this takes place in dio's mension and mercer is basicly indruding on his property and looking how vanilla reacted to a sand copy of dio i'd say he'd be preaty pissed if someone broke into dio's home

He wasn't that pissed when the Joestar gang broke in. And he was causing more damage to the building himself than Iggy and Polnareff. He is attached to DIO, not the building.

One easy answer.

The entire argument lies on the fact that Alex's infectious gas would've frankly made conquering the entire world a breeze rendering your entire point Moot and the fact that Alex has to pick the best choices from the get go instead of reacting normally like attacking, using thermal vision or any of his literal abilities that aren't as Vapoury. Overhyped Alex is not a good thing.

Also teensy request CrackerVolley.

Your thread isn't gonna end up drowned by other threads if one hour just passed. Go for 24 hours. It's not a big deal but yeah.

Ciruno Fortes said:
One easy answer.
The entire argument lies on the fact that Alex's infectious gas would've frankly made conquering the entire world a breeze rendering your entire point Moot and the fact that Alex has to pick the best choices from the get go instead of reacting normally like attacking, using thermal vision or any of his literal abilities that aren't as Vapoury. Overhyped Alex is not a good thing.
The reason why Mercer didn't infect the entire world that easily in Prototype 2 is due to the fact that the Blacklight Virus can't cross large bodies of water (though Mercer definitely doesn't get harmed by it), which was explained in Prototype 2. Despite it being capable of infecting both living beings and inanimate objects (the feats of Redlight infecting inorganic matter has only ever been shown on solid matter, so there isn't much evidence for Blacklight infecting other states of matter like liquid or gases at high amounts, which was proven by the fact that it is incapable of crossing large water bodies), which is the very reason why the infections was mostly happen in in Manhattan. And he can't exacly use his viral vapours against the Prototype James Heller because Heller is already infected with the Blacklight Virus (there's also the fact that the infected creatures in Prototype 1 was already infected with a virus already similar to Blacklight, which is the Redlight Virus. While Blacklight is essentially a strain of Redlight that is created to be more infectious, deadly, and is basically designed to be overall superior, it still originated from Redlight after all, so there's really no reason why it should try to infect its own predecessor, which is also a virus. Viruses don't try to infect other viruses last I've checked, especially if they lack the benefits for doing so and involves types of viruses that is so similar to one another), which is ineffective to use against someone like Heller in the first place. So my entire argument is not moot, and is in fact still quite valid. And he didn't use infected gases in Prototype 1 because he didn't discover that he can spread the Blacklight Virus through aerial transmission yet (there's also the fact that he was trying to save his city in Prototype 1, so I don't see why he should try to infect it when he has intentions to save it at the time), which is why we only see him do such in Prototype 2 (but definitely has the potential to do it on Prototype 1 once he has grown desperate enough to resort to that). And I've already argued why it's perfectly in-character for Mercer to use his viral gasses at the beginning of a match above, so I'm not repeating that. All of my arguments has been centred on the feats and evidences that the Blacklight Virus could do in the game, while yours hinges on Vanilla not having CIS (which he does) and executing actions he hasn't even shown to do in the canon (like using his stand to hide underground) and lowballing Mercer. I'm not overhyping Mercer here. If anything, your arguments is centred on lowballing or underestimating Mercer's capabilities in some way. Lowballing a character's capabilities isn't a good thing either (which you've attempted to debunk by saying you're only arguing for "the best and optimised way" for Mercer).

Really though, most of your arguments was less about how Vanilla can evade the infection (which I've already made an argument for why he can't avoid, especially due to the mechanics of his space-altering abilities, making every action Vanilla makes that leads to him getting infected anyways) so that he can win, and more about why Mercer can't do this or that because of reasons that I have already countered above.

Wall of Text

In all seriousness though do try to get to the point.

Gas isn't gonna be stopped by oceans. If Alex so desires he could just spread crows or literally charge through an army and spread the infection that way just literally run through the entirety of America. But I am not gonna freaking debate that here. Either way there's a great lack of usage of that cloud feat and I'm not convinced he's gonna pull that off right away.

Of course he was already infected but everyone is infected if Alex just choose to infect everything in a cloud there would be no Blackwatch to challenge them on the first place. There is no point of infecting James but there is certainly a point in infecting every single military out there which Alex fails and continuously avoids doing and there's also the simple fact that James consuming any single evolved would've gained such an ability in the first place. Gameplay constraints is a point to counter this but it's still never ever referenced again. It's like that freaking electricity weakness that will never be ever referenced again yet isn't proof that Alex can shrug off any electric attack.

Believe what you want. I've dealt with enough Alex Mercer wankers. I'll tell you though, you're definitely not one. But you are thinking too much of Alex to pick the most optimal move right away. He certainly has a method of taking out Vanilla Ice, but gas attacks will not be his first moves unless you can prove to me that he has consistently and frequently used it in any other meaningful way than a single cutscene.

Also pretty sure if Alex gets eaten, he's not gonna be able to recover considering we have no idea where the corpses of whoever gets eaten even shows up.

Not gonna respond to this anymore. We're literally going back and forth just because of this gas attack and it's late here. Believing what you want to believe.

@Ciruno Fortes

XD. Nice Saitama meme.

You do know that gasses don't exactly spread that far horizontally, right? Seriously, they mostly travel to the skies. While they can spread horizontally, you would need ungodly amounts gasses for them to even spread from country to country (which I doubt Mercer would waste so much energy to do such, especially since many of his plans centres on infecting Manhattan first). Volumes of gasses are a factor for how many areas it can cover as well. As for not using flying animals like crows to spread the infection to other countries... Well, we'll just leave that as one of the many plot holes of Prototype 2, won't we? And I've already argued why he would use that against an individual not infected by Blacklight, which Vanilla definitely is, especially since we already have a feat of Mercer infecting a random civilian due to not having qualms against such. Just because a feat isn't used frequently (and likely isn't used much because of PIS) doesn't mean it's nonexistent and would never be used in a fight. And you've provided no evidence for why Mercer wouldn't use his viral gasses in the beginning of a fight other than he doesn't use that feat often (which, due to the fact the enemies Mercer faces on-screen in Prototype 2 is literally just James heller, should explain why) and bringing up plot holes on the flawed game that is Prototype 2 (which is so convoluted, I doubt anyone has a full answer for why everything happened the way it is in the game).

As for why he doesn't just infect Blackwatch straight away... Because they have prior knowledge of Blacklight, knows how it works, knows how to make a cure it (the cure failed by the way), and knows how to quarantine the areas of the infected people, and combine all of that with PIS? You should know how much plot holes Prototype 2 is riddled with, so you shouldn't be surprised that there is a plot hole for why Mercer didn't just unleash his gasses on all of Blackwatch (though he did infect the cure and have it spread to the nearest Blackwatch soldiers, so he's clearly not against using gasses against a non-infected). We're talking about James Heller being able to resist being consumed by Mercer because of "DNA" reasons that was never elaborated any further or referenced again, so you shouldn't be surprised by this.

I thought for sure that you would call me a wanker, but you didn't despite your previous experiences with other people like such, so for that I am grateful. As for gas attacks, he literally had the infected the cure in Prototype 2 spread the gasses to the nearest Blackwatch soldiers. The gasses might not be the same method he uses to start the infection, and he wasn't on-screen at the time, but he has definitely intended to use some sort of gas attacks to infect his targets, which he did. That should be enough evidence for why it is in-character for him to use viral gasses at the beginning of a fight.

I mean, he was able to walk up to General Randall with a large hole in his head (which should've just incapacitated characters with just type 3 Immortality, and definitely should've blinded them and deprived them of the other senses until they heal due to the extent of that injury in the head. Type 2 Immortality sure has its benefits), so it shows that his awareness could extend beyond just his head. And with viral gasses being used to trail Vanilla's void-sphere (though he would most likely get infected upon his stand swallowing those gasses, for reasons I've already explained above). You do have a point if Mercer has no access to biomass sources and he is low on biomass, but that shouldn't matter here when Mercer is at his Evolved Form (which means he has roughly enough biomass to cover all of New York City) and unleashes his viral gasses. You do have a point if this was Prototype 1 Mercer (who wouldn't resort to infection for anything but the most desparate circumstances), but since this is Prototype 2 Mercer (who essentially has a completely different mindset than his Prototype 1 self) via the strongest version being used, that shouldn't matter much here.

Okay. It was nice debating with you.

@Ciruno Fortes

lets be honest the only reason to why mercer a guy who in the comics(cannon by the by) crosses most of earth within less then 2 years didn't just spread the gasses in multiple cities in a short period of time (he can travel at supersonic+ speeds(although he is defenetly hypersonic by 2 like come on are we really gona say that he didn't get 8.6% faster in a span of two years?) he should be able to cross countries within hours) and prototype 2 has some massive PIS momments like when mercer whos abilies where trawnsing hellers got beaten by heller which makes 0% sense but im not gona go into that

@DeathNoodles

isn't mercer just a blob of bio mass taking humanoid shape?

we even see in the end of prototype when mercer is refoming that his "bones" are made of some redish substance that is defenely not bone.

dose he even have organs?

Sir sun man said:
@DeathNoodles

isn't mercer just a blob of bio mass taking humanoid shape?

we even see in the end of prototype when mercer is refoming that his "bones" are made of some redish substance that is defenely not bone.

dose he even have organs?
Well, yeah.

He still has bones. They may look weird, but that definitely looks he has a skeleton in some way. That also means he should have organs as well, so that it goes along with having a skeleton. While his entire body is technically made of viral biomass, there really isn't any other evidence that proves that he doesn't have a skeleton or internal organs, even if they are made of of viral biomass.

However, just because he has internal organs, that doesn't necessarily mean he needs them. As you have seen for when Mercer has a large hole in his head in Prototype 1, he was still able to stand up and walk up to General Randall in spite of that. The fact that he was able to operate, when he should've remained incapacitated as his brain should've been mush (thus, effectively incapacitating any regenerators with Type 3 Immortality only until they heal), pretty much proves that he doesn't need internal organs to operate. This is basically proof of Mercer's Type 2 Immortality (and at a pretty decent one at that). Since practically all of Mercer's powerset centres on his shapeshifting, this probably shows that he keeps his internal organs around as disguises (so that he can blend in better), as I can't find any other reasons why he would need internal organs outside of that (when we've seen his feat of being able to operate with a huge hole in his head). Not like this matters much in this fight, as I've already made my arguments about why Mercer should most likely win against Vanilla Ice.

Well, you couldn't pay me to read over all of that.

So, I skimmed over it. Voting for Ice Ice Baby Baby FRA.

ThePixelKirby said:
Well, you couldn't pay me to read over all of that.

So, I skimmed over it. Voting for Ice Ice Baby Baby FRA.
The arguments in Vanilla's favour hasn't taken into account on how Vanilla can evade being infected by viral gasses (they were more focusing on lowballing Mercer's capabilities, such as underestimating how willing he is to infect random individuals if anything). So, do you have any argument about how Vanilla can avoid being infected at the cellular-level by the viral gasses and win, an argument which hasn't already been debunked before?

By being a flying ball of Existence Erasure. That'll do it pretty well.

@ThePixelKirby You do know that has already been debunked, right?

It has been debunked due to the fact that it doesn't completely erase matter from existence as it just just simply swallows matter and send them into an unknown dimension inside Cream, an unknown dimension which Vanilla hides in and could get himself infected once the void-sphere swallows the viral gasses it makes contact with.

As I have just figured out a few arguments before, the void-sphere Cream turns into as it swallows itself has all of the canon evidence linked to the fact that the method it uses to get rid of matter is exactly the same as when Cream swallows matter with its mouth, which is a space-sucking mouth (I don't even know why some has mistaken it for Existence Erasure when BFR is more like it, as the way Vanilla gets rid of matter isn't due to deleting it from existence, but sending it to an unknown place instead).

It also isn't even in-character for Vanilla to just leave Dio's mansion like that (and there are no evidences of Vanilla using his stand to hide underground as a void-sphere, making that an out-of-character action as well).

To put it simply, anything Vanilla does with his stand would and up with the viral gasses being sent to the same unknown dimension he hides in and get infected. Anything he does without his stand, he still gets infected because he's within the vicinity where the viral gasses gets sent at him. I don't think I can even find a way for Vanilla to avoid getting infected the instant Mercer unleashes his viral gasses at the beginning of a fight.

So, any other arguments you can make in Vanilla's favour, which hasn't been debunked before? I can accept your vote if you are actually voting in favour of the valid arguments in Vanilla's favour, which I'm pretty sure none has been made since they've all been debunked in some way. You can simply retract your vote if you don't have any valid argument to make or vote for (or just change your vote to the other character). There's no shame in doing that after all.

DMB 1 said:
Can he poison a literal ball of void?
Yes, which is an argument I've made already. Technically, he can't poison the void itself, but he can poison the user hiding within it. All it does is transport the swallowed matter to the same unknown dimension that Vanilla hides in. Vanilla might not know where the unknown dimension leads to, but all the canon evidence points to him hiding in that same dimension and knowing that the swallowed matter is there (which further proves that he hides in that same place, thus likely encountering the swallowed matter in that moment), which means the viral gasses gets thrown at him in his dimension and he gets infected.

I'd hate to post thrice (or even twice) in a row, but do you have any other valid arguments to vote for or make in Vanilla Ice's favour?

CrackerVolley said:
Cream's mouth =/= Cream's Void
You sure about that? Every single scan I've seen about Cream's void-sphere links to it swallowing matter and sending it into an unknown dimension. Heck, even the Jojo wikia describes Cream's mouth as "a portal to a void-like dimension", and that it can devour itself to "become a ball-shaped floating portal" (notice the words "portal" being used to describe both functions?). The only difference is that as a void ball, he is effectively invulnerable due to his void swallowing any matter that makes contact with it and is also undetectable, but comes at the cost of being blind (void ball should not matter though, as it still swallows matter the same way as its mouth does, so it ends up with Vanilla getting infected upon Cream swallowing the viral gasses into the same dimension Vanilla hides in, one way or another).

Even the way Vanilla killed Avdol in his void ball state (I'm pretty sure that's how Vanilla killed Avdol, and then swallowed Avdol's arms with Cream's mouth to get rid of the remains) suggests that Cream transports matter into its dimension through both its mouth and its void-like state.

Also, that's 5 votes for Mercer now that Jackythejack FRAed.

So now it's:

Vanilla Ice : 4 (Tacticalnuke, Ciruno, Iapatus, PixelKirby)

Alex Mercer : 5 (Sun man, Deathnoodles, Schnee, Dark, Jackythejack)

Cream's mouth =/= Void. While they have similar functions, you'll never see Vanilla jump into the void ball even though its easier and more convenient to do so. He always jumps into Cream's mouth.

TacticalNuke002 said:
Cream's mouth =/= Void. While they have similar functions, you'll never see Vanilla jump into the void ball even though its easier and more convenient to do so. He always jumps into Cream's mouth.
You guys are misunderstanding. I've meant to say that the Void Ball transports matter just like Cream's mouth, even if they do so through different methods. However, regardless of the mechanics, the result of these two functions are the same. And that result is transporting matter into Cream's unknown dimension which Vanilla hides in. Though I've noticed that Cream's mouth is more used to swallow targets through better precision (probably even swallowing them whole), while Cream's void-ball only swallows matter in portions as it makes contact with such matter. So the reason why Vanilla escapes to Cream's mouth rather than the void ball is most likely due to him not wanting to risk leaving behind parts of himself.

It has already been corrected in the Gluttony vs Vanilla Ice thread that Vanilla's stand doesn't actually have Existence Erasure, only BFR. This heavily supports my point in Cream's mouth and his void-sphere getting rid of matter with the same result.

TacticalNuke002 said:
Well yeah. Won't make a difference if Ice is not in the same space his void sends stuff to.
It does, as all the evidence links to Vanilla hiding himself in the same dimension that he sends his targets to. And since Vanilla definitely knows where his targets to (while Vanilla has said that he doesn't know where his dimension leads to, he still straight up confirmed that Avdol is dead, which proves that he does know what has happened to Avdol inside the dimension, which means he has to be in the same dimension he sends his targets to in order to have any confirmation that they're dead), that means he'll definitely be in the same place he sends his target to, thus should be the same space as well.

Seriously, I've found no evidence to suggest that he is in a different space than from what he has sent his targets to, and all evidence I've found in the canon suggests that he hides in the same dimensional space that he sends his targets to (with him being the only one immune to the dimensional void effects of his stand). So unless you give me proof that it shows why it isn't the case, most of what I would hear from you could likely be speculation of Vanilla's ability rather than evidence (such as him hiding in a different space than what he sends his targets to).

I doubt that Avdol won't be dead even if Ice doesn't check. Its a disintegrating BFR void ball that took a direct hit. Another evidence of both being separate spaces is when Ice thought he killed Polnareff and comes out of Cream's mouth. If it were the same space, he'd have known that he didn't get Polnareff.

TacticalNuke002 said:
I doubt that Avdol won't be dead even if Ice doesn't check. Its a disintegrating BFR void ball that took a direct hit. Another evidence of both being separate spaces is when Ice thought he killed Polnareff and comes out of Cream's mouth. If it were the same space, he'd have known that he didn't get Polnareff.
And when has he thought that? Seriously, when he has first popped out (you know, that same moment when Polnareff scatters sand around to trail where Vanilla is, and managed to predict where Vanilla pops up), he didn't even inflict enough lethal damage to Polnareff before that (and he already saw Polnareff after he tormented Iggy, and then went back into his void-sphere. Heck, the only aggressive move he has made after that is charge at a direction where Polnareff used to be in a straight line, and not much else when he has popped up after Polnareff scattered the sand) and he already knew Polnareff was injured due to damaging his foot. If anything, Vanilla coming out is most likely due to CIS if anything (such as his tendency to peek out of his stand to know where his enemies is), and doesn't actually suggest that Vanilla hides in a different dimensional space in his dimension.

That's a heavy amount of speculation you did there, especially when Vanilla was noted to be immune to the void effects of his dimension, which he sends his targets to (which proves that his dimension has effects that could be harmful to life, while he is immune to it). If he is in an another different dimensional space that doesn't harm him, why wasn't it mentioned in the canon?

However, seeing as conventional viruses count as neither living or dead (and Mercer the Blacklight Virus is superior to conventional viruses due to his feats, as well as showing great regenerative properties for a virus), the harmful effects to life inside Vanilla's dimension is irrevelant here.

He thought that Polnareff was dead when he started moving in a shrinking circle towards the end of the fight. After Iggy rescued Polnareff using his last breath, Ice comes out thinking that he'd gotten Polnareff.

TacticalNuke002 said:
He thought that Polnareff was dead when he started moving in a shrinking circle towards the end of the fight. After Iggy rescued Polnareff using his last breath, Ice comes out thinking that he'd gotten Polnareff.
Or it could be, you know, the fact Vanilla moved his void ball in a pattern that made spiral circles on the floor that he thought Polnareff couldn't avoid entirely due to his injuries. All I see there is Vanilla stating that Avdol is the reason he was injured by Polnareff and him wanting to kill Joestar and the rest (and didn't even say anything that suggest that he assumes Polnareff is dead, just that bled because of Avdol and that he wants to kill the rest of the Joestar team), and then getting shocked by Polnareff being stuck in the ceiling with sand. It could be the fact that he was shocked that Polnareff was stuck in the ceiling and that Vanilla didn't saw him when he popped out because of it, rather than shocked by him still being alive. Either way, that isn't enough evidence that Vanilla is hiding in a different dimensional space than the one he sends his targets to.

And that supposed evidence is contradicted by the fact that Vanilla only made one aggressive move against Polnareff after he's done kicking Iggy, and that move is just moving to where Polnareff used to be in a straight direction (surely Vanilla can't be stupid enough to assume that is all it takes to check that Polnareff is dead, rather than just checking where his enemies are) and then floating around in the scattered sand (heck, it could be him wondering why there are so many sand sent to him and his dimension, which made him peek out for all we know). As well as the fact that he knew Avol was dead (disintegrated), which he has explicitly stated that he sent Avdol to that void dimension, which should demonstrate that he is in the same dimensional space Avdol is in so that he could even confidently confirm that Avdol is dead.

Not only does the canon itself has evidence that points out that Vanilla hides in the same dimensional space more often than not, but the Jojo wikia even supports the idea that Vanilla resides in that same dimension he sends his targets to (as evidenced by the fact that they stated that his stand works like a portal to a void-like dimension, and that only he is shown to be unharmed while inside the void dimension), so I don't even know where you even got the basis about Vanilla being in a different dimension is from.

Any statement that has Vanilla Ice explicitly say that he resides in a different space? Or any explicit statement that says such? Because I haven't found any.

As a result, I don't see why Vanilla should even be able to avoid all those viral gasses when there's no evidence (especially explicit ones) that says that he doesn't hide in the same dimension he sends his targets to.

Back