• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Last Dragonborn vs Rumplestiltskin

Resistance aside. He still has his absorption.

You can blame game limitations for not having reg NPC's use hax, but you won't have that as a reason to justify your claim.

" It is more versatile tha elemental resistance as it covers all kinds of magical attacks, instead of just fire, frost, or shock indivdually "

@Aizen correct. That is all he has shown resistance to.

Brelyna still transforms him. Harkon still teleports him. The fact that these events are scripted, that they are events that MUST HAPPEN is indicative of the fact that magic resist cannot protect against such things, not the other way around.

Monarch Laciel said:
@Aizen correct. That is all he has shown resistance to.
Brelyna still transforms him. Harkon still teleports him. The fact that these events are scripted, that they are events that MUST HAPPEN is indicative of the fact that magic resist cannot protect against such things, not the other way around.
That's pure bs. Your relying on scripts now. Jesus Christ

Do you know what scripted events are? They did that to make Harkon look tough and menacing. It's part of the quest. He " banishes " you and you have to go with serana to find the remaning elder scrolls to beat him. To make the DLC fun and cool. They literally coded that into the game

GreenF0rest123 said:
" It is more versatile tha elemental resistance as it covers all kinds of magical attacks, instead of just fire, frost, or shock indivdually "
As in it cover fire, frost and shock all at once. Not as in it means he is immune to every sort of magic ever.

I am serious. You just don't get it. That's Bethesda putting Dov's abilites aside to make a cool scene for the DLC.

As in it cover fire, frost and shock all at once! Not as in it means he is immune to every sort of magic ever!

No. Paralysis not affecting Dovahkiin is proof of that.

No, it's a clear limitation in the types of magic that magic resistance can stop.

And it's proof that paralysis doesn't work, not that being magically teleported won't work

Paralysis... as in different types of magic instead of elemental.

My point still stands. It's simply Bethesda's way of writing the story.

So then he has resistance to elemental magic, and paralysis. He doest automatically gain resistance to every magic ever.

No, your point doesn't stand. Dovakhiin is clearly affected by Harkon's BFR spell and Brelyna's transformation spells, regardless of their magic resistance. It is something that magic resistance did not protect against, and saying "oh scripted events bethesda plot" doesn't change that.

Yep, so now he's resistant to Elemental Attacks, Paralysis and Petrification

Still didn't make him resistant to Harkon's BFR or Breylna's transformations.

What a wonderful counter argument.

What don't you get about the fact that something happening in a scripted event makes it more supported, not less?

A scripted event is something that is meant to happen, because it is part of the plot. Something happening as part of the plot is a lot more important than the two words "magic resistance".

Yes it's a scripted event. It's still something that canonically happens. You cannot deny that Harkon teleported the Dovakhiin. You cannot deny that Breylna transforms him. And you cannot deny that no matter how much magic resistance/absorption you stack, it still happens. Ergo, no matter how much magic resistance the Dovakhiin has, these things can still affect him.

Gold snaps his fingers, and Dovahkiin is lost within the Infinite Forest, or turns into a chicken and is killed. The end.

But I can see you aren't going to listen, so I'll leave on this note. I've already voted anyway.

Your forgetting about his resistance to shouts via magic resistance and his absorption.

and if questionable BFR and Power Null via magic that he's resistant to and proof via scripted events is your argument then so be it.

Ok then, let's go with your argument.

Dovakhiin is resistant to magical BFR and magical transformation because he's resistant to magic. Sure

But it's clearly not a very good resistance, seeing as Harkon BFR'd him and Brelyna transformed him. Certainly not the level of resistance that would be required to resist magic from someone on Gold's level, who is undoubtedly a superior sorcerer to both.

And why did you bring up power null and shouts? Show me a Shout that transforms people or teleports them away, then your argument that he resists Shouts will have merit.

I brought up shouts because if we believe it's a form of reality warping, then that's >BFR and Power null don't you think? You can make a shout for just about anything. Miraak was a good example of this as he had his own.

If he has 100% absorption. It's that, nothing will effect him. A scripted event won't change that.

If he can resist reality warping, then he can resist reality warping. That doesn't mean he can resist BFR and transformation. And Miraak didn't make his own shouts, he was given them by Mora.

100% spell absorption that doesn't work against certain spells.

Monarch Laciel said:
I'm really not. Magic resistance has only ever been shown to work against things like elemental destruction spells. Transmutation and BFR and still fair game
OH YES YOU ARE

scripted parts of the game that are supposed to happen no matter what your stats or your build is. You're trying to scale how effective magic resistance is based on events that are forced to happen by the game itself for story and plot. it'd be a real letdown if an entire DLC was made irrelevant because of your magic resistance RIGHT at the start of it!

i dont know what your point is. but, nobody in-game besides the Daedric Princes and other et'ada (who are... abstract gods) has ever been able to transport or teleport Dovahkiin anywhere unless its scripted and forced parts of the game (the game isnt undertale and it doesnt account for every single stat you have, unlike that game, skyrim has armor and weapon builds, its an RPG.

this is how that game works:

Cutscene area reached...

LV: 1

loading LV: 1 cutscene

then you would get a different cutscene if you had an LV value of 2

this is how SKYRIM works:

cutscene area reached...

loading cutscene.....

Skyrim doesnt care about your values, if you have the quest items and the code has been set that you can proceed to that cutscene it will not check your items or stats. it will just send you into the cutscene

In reality, yes, DV would likely resist it if it wasnt scripted. but, sadly, the game forces it to happen for plot and story. not because "oh this proves how weak DV's magical resistance is"

its not hard to understand it. Scripted events are scripted events.

Aren't scripted events meant to be taken as in-game cutscenes of sorts? They ought to take a higher priority than gameplay-based abilities which don't even properly contradict the scripted moments themselves.

I really don't see why that's a difficult concept to grasp.

"In reality, yes, DV would likely resist it if it wasnt scripted. but, sadly, the game forces it to happen for plot and story. not because "oh this proves how weak DV's magical resistance is" But it is scripted. Just like all of fiction. And said script shows he doesn't resist these things. Get over it. You can't say "if it wasn't scripted he'd resist these things" because that's not how this works. It's shown to work on him so it works on him. Just because he has magic resistance doesn't mean he can suddenly resist all forms of magic ESPECIALLY magic that he's SHOWN to NOT have resistance to. It's as simple as that and if you can't understand that well I'm sorry.

The whole argument is just flawed. That's like me saying that Kratos can't physically beat up the bosses that he has simply because he did so during quicktime events. Or saying that the monsters of DOOM (2016) can somehow survive attacks from the Doom Slayer simply because he's only ever shown one-shotting them during Glory Kills. Or claiming that Nathan Drake nearly dying from a gunshot wound is somehow negated by in-game moments of him tanking gunfire.

Half of the games which include scripted events outright use them as the sole means of conveying their narrative. Are the entire stories of these games negated simply because they're told through scripted events?

That's how Skyrim works. Bethesda doesn't keep Dovah's abilties in mind when making a script. Absorption = http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Absorption_(Skyrim) ALL SPELLS

You can be level 1 or be level 1000 with magical resistance and absorption and the result will be the same.

Harkon is level 60. I can be level 500 with 100% absorption and it would have still happened.

There's no logic behind it, it's just to make a good DLC. In fact you can replace Dovah with a Daedric Prince and it would of still happen for the sake of it.

Does Harkon bypass Dovah's abilities? No. He's complete fodder and random vampires encounters put up a better fight than him. The very same magic he used in the script didn't do anything in the actual fight.

So just saying because it's a script and it shows he can't " resist " it is wrong

Aizenishere said:
you just contradicted yourself. the game forced it to happen.

Skyrim is not undertale. It does not account for any stats, boosts, etc when loading cutscenes. It doesn't care if you have 100% spell absorption. There is a plot, there is lore. and it must be followed otherwise you will have a terribly written game that is just dictated by your build stats where you would have to go through a lot of pain in one of the biggest RPG worlds EVER to find some armor that you can put on and then trigger a certain cutscene that you need for the best story quality that you couldnt before just because you had magic resistances.

Undertale can pull dictating cutscenes via stats off, yes, because the way it works and how cleverly Toby created it so that he COULD pull that off. But skyrim cannot.

for the last time, scripted events/cutscenes should NOT scale a video game character's magical resistances. ESPECIALLY IN AN RPG WITH ARMOR AND WEAPON BUILDS THAT DONT ALL GIVE YOU MAX SPELL ABSORPTION.

@SITH

The key word you used is "should NOT"

If how it works on this site isn't the way you like it I'm sorry. Don't take my word for it take an Admins

Back