• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The last DMC thread

Hello all and welcome to possibly the last DMC CRT of this year, this time featuring Void "Mundus" being a Void 3.0

Some proposals already have some counters made by DontTalkDT, which I already countered too but on his request I will link ya'all to it.

Names
A Demon's name is something special, more important than other verses. We are told that [o them a name is "truth"... more than those forms they take, it is said that the name of a demon is closer to its true substance, like heirs to a family they model themselves after the meaning of the name but this is only from the research Arkham has gathered, in reality the name and its significance is much more complex and deeper than that.

In reality the power of a name is much more, from the moment demons come into existence the names are the most sacred thing to them, '''they not only represent power but also the very concept of their own existence, basic principles that predate the creation of even the creation of the demon world itself.'''

A Demon's soul'
As you probably saw in the scan above, the name which is the most sacred thing for a demon as it is their very concept is nothing but a part of their souls. It manifests itself as part of the soul that forms them, and their dark hearts.]

But there is more to the souls.

Souls are "objects" that hold many mysteries that neither Humans or Demons understand but that every soul has. The soul as we know now thanks to Peak of Combat is a basic nine-dimensional form, generally speaking, it originates from and returns to a higher dimension beyond the Eightfold Path. But that's not all as it contains the mind and memory, but also contains all the information of the body and its ancestors since ancient times.

This goes in line with what Arkham told us, if you recall, as the name (which demons mold themselves after) is nothing but just a part of the souls demons have.

In short a soul in Devil May Cry contains every aspect of existence for Demons, from minds to information and even their concept.

With all that in mind let us proceed to the meat of the thread.

Information

The page has this to say about information manipulation: Type 2: '''Fundamental:''' These characters can manipulate information, which serves as fundamental building block of reality. This can allow characters to rewrite the world to their whims, often by programming it much like they would a virtual reality. These manipulation can come on many levels. For some it might just be the mechanism behind mundane magical abilities, while others can rewrite information to change reality, causality or the laws of nature

This fits perfectly with the information that makes up a demon as a demon's existence is something more fundamental than just the world. As we are told, a name is the concept of their existence, the basic principles that predate the demon world, a world that predates ''our world''. Why is this important? Well it is because Demons mold themselves after said names/concepts. This is the information the soul contains as the name is only a small part of the soul. As some other character says, "With just one act. The act of naming these demons the world will change... It's very simple To change the value of everything would be all too easy"

In short, the information the soul has comes from the name/concept of a demon. To change a name/information is to change the existence of a demon as a whole, a fundamental part of reality if you will, something that has happened many times in the series with Nelo Angelo/Vergil, Tony/Dante and the seven SINS being prime examples of it.

The second part of this thread pertains to the Void "Mundus" character we see in the second novel.

Void "Mundus"

During the events of Devil May Cry Volume 2, Dante and his partner Beryl are transported to a parallel universe in which everything went wrong. Humans betrayed Sparda and Mundus broke free from his seal decades earlier. In this universe Mundus has accomplished his goal, fusing the worlds together and becoming the sole ruler of all in existence, attaining a new form beyond anything seen in the verse so far.

Mundus is described as both the heart and the nexus of the demon world but that's not all. When Dante and Beryl travel to the castle of the king they reach a void and they enter hoping to meet with Mundus somewhere inside only to later realize the void was Mundus himself.

When they first reached the Void, Dante thought Mundus was somewhere inside the void or past it waiting for them:

"Dante regarded the void with a cynical grin. "Last time, you came out of a dog statue. What are you going to throw at me this time?"]" P. 140

But once they step inside they are separated, this is when Dante realizes something:

Rebellion roared through the darkness, stabbing at the void. '''''It had taken Dante a moment to realize that the void wasn't empty. The void was the king himself.''''' Somehow he knew how to fight it, slashing at the darkness and instinctively avoiding attack. P. 144.

Dante, a character who can easily detect all type of intangible or invisible beings and other abstract stuff from power, to incorporeal demons, to shadows, souls, auras even killing intent coming from another universe was completely taken by surprise by mundus new form of existence... or rather the lack of it. He didn't know Mundus was the void itself.

Another important thing brought up above is the name stuff.

Sparda is a demon with the special power of being able to alter names as he pleases. This is something only a few Demons can do, something his children are able to do as seen here with Vergil and Dante.

Dante was the first one to do this as he changed his name to Tony during his childhood to escape from the demons following the instructions of his mother and later in the first novel reclaimed his real name, this changed him as he stopped being Tony "the human" but Dante "the half-devil half-human"

For reference, Mundus is able to do this too as he changed Vergil to Nelo Angelo stating he was going to get rid of his humanity, kinda the inverse of what Dante did, making himself more human when he became Tony.

We are told in this panel the act of naming a Demon isn't a great deal for the twins, just intending to name them or uttering the name seems to be enough, allowing them to choose one does the trick too (refer to the vergil manga panels linked above).

So, going back to the second novel; "Mundus" is never mentioned in the alternate timeline, he is only ever referred as "The Demon King" which is a title, this of course changes when Dante comes in and simply says his name. After that demons are able to call his name.

I would say this qualifies for At least type 1 NEP

=== Aspects: ===

* Spiritual Nonexistence: He lack a soul. He is just an empty void and not even Dante could sense a thing there.
* Conceptual Nonexistence: For most of the novel the void is only regarded as "The king" and several other titles, it isn't until Dante gets to that universe and calls him by a Name. After that more characters are able to call him by Name too.
* Mental Nonexistence: This is due to the mechanics of the verse. A soul is made of the mind, name and information, lacking a soul means lacking those.
* Information Nonexistence: He doesn't exist, there is only a void. No name means no information, and this is obvious since there is nothing there.
* Other: The Void refers to himself as a timeless being

=== TL;DR: ===
1) Information in DMC is type 2 since its a fundamental aspect of the existence of demons and it even comes from their very name/concept.

2) The alternative timeline Mundus is literally stated to be a void, he lacks a soul and a name (in verse this means he lacks all aspects of existence a demon has, from the soul to the concept, body to mind, etc.) his Nonexistent Physiology should be at least "Type 1, Nature 1, 2, 3, 4 and probably 5"

Agree:

Disagree: 1 (DontTalkDT)

Neutral:

I disagree because Deadguy has committed heinous acts of blasphemy against the goodwill of all DMC wankers on this site

On a serious note, I have no horse nor legs in this race. NEP is not my stuff. I will be an observant.

I don't really see how Dante not recognizing Mundus at first means he lacks a soul, especially when this void is so foreign to him he's trying to get the hang of his surroundings until he recognizes Mundus is the void which doesn't really help the case on him lacking a soul at best this sounds like some possible extrasensory perception but even then that's reaching into assumptions without much statements., which btw, do you have any scans that the moment Dante named him, it compelled everyone to refer to him as mundus instead of it being just oh that's his name, ok I guess we can call him Mundus.

I don't really see how Dante not recognizing Mundus at first means he lacks a soul, especially when this void is so foreign to him he's trying to get the hang of his surroundings until he recognizes Mundus is the void which doesn't really help the case on him lacking a soul at best this sounds like some possible extrasensory perception but even then that's reaching into assumptions without much statements., which btw, do you have any scans that the moment Dante named him, it compelled everyone to refer to him as mundus instead of it being just oh that's his name, ok I guess we can call him Mundus.
because Dante can see and even sense souls, so not being able to tell that mundus is the void means mundus has no soul.
Dante realising the void is mundus later on is more of a feat for him, he was always able to adapt and overcome whatever weird stuff his opponents can do, and in fact he does it in the same novel when he nulls chen's regen even tho he wasn't able to at the start

I assumed so because of 2 things, mainly because we are told all the time that it is an empty void (which would obviously include stuff like souls, a common type of enemies in the series) and because Dante can't sense anything there and considering he has been able to sense/see souls since his human days in Vol 1 yet here he was completely at a loss at was he was fighting and as the scan says he still has no idea what is going on, he is just able to fight for some reason.

I will link the scans for the whole thing when they reach the other universe later since it's hard to do on phone but yeah, he thinks his name then calls him twice and demons start calling him by name too when earlier they just called him by his titles.

@Ibrahem again that's not elaborated on if he literally lacked a soul due to him becoming a void or not, especially with PoC making the Souls more important than concepts, if you have any scans for the soul being gone that would be good.

@Tony_di_bugalu yeah going through the scans you sent me on discord, nothing about this implied his name was nonexistent, Dante just brings up Mundus nonchalantly given he knows who the demon king is, and there's no mention that the demons are suddenly able to speak his name now, just that they got some confidence in fighting the demon king with dante's help, nothing about him granting Mundus his name back which would make no sense for Dante to help out the dude who's tormented his family for so long.

Either way, I can see Aspect type 5 for Void mundus, but the others I'm not so sure given the souls literally have all of that stuff and we have no statements that Void Mundus' soul is nonexistent.

@Tony_di_bugalu yeah going through the scans you sent me on discord, nothing about this implied his name was nonexistent, Dante just brings up Mundus nonchalantly given he knows who the demon king is, and there's no mention that the demons are suddenly able to speak his name now, just that they got some confidence in fighting the demon king with dante's help, nothing about him granting Mundus his name back which would make no sense for Dante to help out the dude who's tormented his family for so long.
Oh thanks :v

Dante bringing his name is important for 2 reason: first is that no one before had done until he did that as shown in the scans and second is because as explained in the OP Sparda and his kids have the power to change names as they please, even intending to give a name is enough for it to work.

Another important thing is that it isn't helping him. The void - Mundus- is a being of great power that has ascended to an existence past what any Demon has ever seen before or what anyone will ever see. He is not only a void but he is the very source, the heart and the nexus of the underworld and his non existence maintains that world running.

Dante giving him a name can even be considered as a disadvantage as he has gained a property that can be manipulated and used against him in some way or another.

Ofc be wouldn't be the first Demon to lack a name and have some form. Of power (sins and Nobodies for example), this coupled with the fact that he is explicitly a void (i.e. Lacks a name and thus the information that makes up a physical existence) solidifies the argument in my eyes.

Is there any statements that Void Mundus doesn't need a name to access his full powers? Because given demon lore in DMC that's kind of important to prove he lacks a name, cause it sounds counter intuitive to the entire demon lore on names being the source of their powers. Sins and nobodies still have physical bodies though, that contradicts them being nonexistent beings on the site as you require the beings to lack a physical form to begin with.

Is there any statements that Void Mundus doesn't need a name to access his full powers? Because given demon lore in DMC that's kind of important to prove he lacks a name, cause it sounds counter intuitive to the entire demon lore on names being the source of their powers. Sins and nobodies still have physical bodies though, that contradicts them being nonexistent beings on the site as you require the beings to lack a physical form to begin with.
Afaik no but then again there is nothing suggesting that he is weaker because of it if anything he is stronger

Like I said he reached quite the state that no other Demon has ever gotten so his status as an all powerful no name Demon isn't that hard to imagine. There is also Urizen who claims to have no name and you saw what happened.

I brought up the examples of demons without names that have some form of power. Sins for example can do minimal stuff like madness hax while Nobodies have some top tier RE to even exist in the Demon world.

About the last bit tho, aren't there some characters that have nep without lacking a physical body? I remember seeing some get NEP because they lack one or the other aspect.

NEP while still having a body is possible, but as the page mentions it requires quite specific criteria and even then it'd be type 3.

again that's not elaborated on if he literally lacked a soul due to him becoming a void or not, especially with PoC making the Souls more important than concepts, if you have any scans for the soul being gone that would be good
you don't need any further elaboration tho, Dante never once in the series failed to sense the soul of a demon, this is the first and only time where he can't sense a soul, the most logical explanation for this is that mundus has no soul, unless you have a different interpretation that can make sense

if poc have update then this isn't "last" :)))),anyway i am so awful at TD,NEP and acau so yeah can't anything here

Last edited:
@Tony_di_bugalu Again with DMC lore on how important the soul is with the demons, and especially their names given their powers are from their names, we'd need something explicit like him lacking a soul or his name for this to qualify for the other 4 aspects. Not anymore they don't, with the new NEP changes you flat out need to have a physical form to qualify for NEP.

@Ibrahem or he just can't sense voids or Mundus resists extrasensory perception, without the elaboration on this it can be interpreted in many other ways, and especially with how important names and souls are that's kind of important.

or he just can't sense voids or Mundus resists extrasensory perception, without the elaboration on this it can be interpreted in many other ways, and especially with how important names and souls are that's kind of important.
that's not really possible considering if he has a soul and he is an empty void. wouldn't dante just be able to see it? ya cant have a resistance against vision. unless his soul is just invis which isnt the case for DMC demon souls

Last edited:
The problem is that this novel isn't poc, we ain't gonna get something that specific out of this beyond the space of nothingness that we got from the raws.

or he just can't sense voids

Then he would just sense the soul in that void or its power or whatever the hell you think a void has.

or Mundus resists extrasensory perception

This is an even worse assumption, that Mundus has some power out of his ass that is never even hinted at specially when the novel just flat out tells you there is an empty void thats why Dante is confused at what is going on.

Yeah i know how important those are yet there are demons that lack one or the other, it isn't hard to believe that a Demon king who became an empty void that confused even Dante lacks those too

@Sevil Natas resisting extrasensory perception isn't out of reach for fiction, a lot of characters have these for different ways.

@Tony_di_bugalu ok? You still have the manga which to my knowledge is around or before the novels are a thing so the whole "names being their existence" is still applicable here, and again if you wanna use PoC stuff, then you have to accept that souls are very ******* important in this verse for demons, so having any statements of lacking a soul is crucial for void mundus to get 1-4 since the soul has all of those.

Again, that runs into assumption territory, if we don't have evidence that he lacks a soul, we don't assume he lacks one without any explicit evidence.

Again, that doesn't disprove how demon's power works in the franchise where the names are literally their power. Unless demon kings are the exception where they don't need the names in the first place to get power which to my knowledge they don't, we don't assume he lacks a soul. Like I said I'm fine with type 5 aspect given he is a void, but the other 4 we'd need some evidence for his soul being gone since again... that's kind of important in the series.

If he'd only have aspect 5 by being a void, I think it may be best to just be incorporeality, as NEP is just that with extra steps.

Every time I hear about a DMC thread these days, I feel this meme deep in my soul.

LnosptO.jpg

Jokes aside, I'll take a look through this and give my take.

except he has the extra steps of lacking a physical form, so he'd have nonexistent physiology at bare minimum since a void is literal nothingness.

Incorporeality is by definition lacking a physical form, NEP is meant for cases that have that plus a bit more, such as lacking a soul.

The Void Manip page is most likely outdated as it wasn't particularly touched IIRC after the NEP revisions, feel free to ping @DontTalkDT if still in doubt.
Merely being incorporeal and being stated to not exist is simply not material for NEP, something similar was just classified as incorporeality in fact.

After the revision, NEP right now is not only you need to be incorporeal but also you need to lack something that necessary for your existence thus the meaning of the name Nonexistent

After the revision, NEP right now is not only you need to be incorporeal but also you need to lack something that necessary for your existence thus the meaning of the name Nonexistent
well if we can somehow prove mundow lack a soul which is a very importance thing in this verse so yeah he can get nep but this might not be happen lol

Back