• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Great Odyssean Quest to Downgrade God of War ⌈Part 10⌋

Can you believe it guys? Double digits! Yippee!!!
giphy.gif

Does this many threads in such a short timeframe count as spam? Well, only one way to find out!

Animal Manipulation [Hades]

Hades can command beasts like Cerberus, except that’s not even what happens in the attached scan. Cerberus is just kinda there, and attacks Kratos. Guard dogs are a real thing from real life, we don’t use special animal manipulating hax to get dogs to do things.

Shapeshifting [Hades]

This is why Hades currently has shapeshifting:
Teleportation and Shapeshifting (The energy of Tartarus allows those who harness it to teleport.[17] Hades himself can teleport back and forth between the Mortal World and the Underworld[18])
This is pretty blatantly not any form of shapeshifting. Saying he disappeared in a "sooty tornado" isn't saying he literally transformed into a whirlwind of ash and smoke, just like saying someone "disappeared into thin air" doesn't mean they literally shed their physical body to become as insubstantial and invisible as oxygen. Idc if he has it anyways by virtue of being a Greek god. I just want this shit off his profile.

Corruption [Hades]

The source is this scan, which mentions some force at play gradually corrupting Olympus. The scan is cropped a tad bit, so here's the full thing. If that's still not enough context, here are some more scans from the same source. While that's a lot of words, all these scans come to the same conclusion; The Great Evils, after being released from Pandora's Box, infested the gods and played with their emotions to make them crueler and more aggressive. Much of their overconfidence and general dickishness following the events of GoW 1 can be traced back to this "corruption". Thus, the blackness in the air that "corrupts everything" is not in reference to Hades (he is never even so much as implied to be its source), but is referring to the altered emotional states of the gods that consumed the halls of Olympus and made it a generally shitty place to be (hence the blackness in the air and the "corruption"). Not only is Hades irrelevant here, but the corruption in question isn't even literal in the first place.

I would like to say that this is a simple misunderstanding, but that'd be giving GoW supporters too much credit; They're already using this scan as a justification for the Great Evils and how they influence those around them, so they know damn well this has nothing to do with Hades "corrupting" Olympus. This would also require removing part of Kratos' resistance to corruption justification.

Passive Literally Every Single Ability [Hades]

Currently, Hades’ page assumes his soul absorption - as well as every other ability he has access to - is passive. This is because of this scene, and this image from the art book. First half of this debunk is pretty easy; Taken at face value, this is just soul absorption, and none of Hades’ other abilities are used passively here. There is no reason to assume stuff like, say, life absorption, BFR, or underground mobility are being used passively here.

The first part is also easy, because there’s not really an indication his soul absorption is passive in the first place? Sure, it’s not made explicitly clear that Hades activated some sort of special ability here, but during the first half of the fight, he isn’t absorbing any souls. When he tries to take Kratos’ soul, it’s not done passively, but by Hades having to really struggle to try and rip it out, a thing which we see happen again during the war with the Titans. If this ability is passive, then all the Titans should’ve just died on the spot, and Kratos should’ve been fighting back against Hades’ attempts to rip out his soul during the entire fight, not just those initial few seconds.

Resistance to Power Nullification, Life Absorption, & Magic Absorption [Hades]

This stems from how Hades can survive the souls of the river Styx attacking him and entering his body. One problem, though. Hades quite literally commands the souls of the dead; They couldn't attack him even if they tried (Hades' soul is like bug repellent for souls once Kratos gets a hold of it; they don't even bother approaching him), and they only do the whole absorption thing when attacking people. To make matters worse, this same scan is already being used as a justification for "passive" soul absorption, so the implication is that he's absorbing them rather than enduring some adverse effect they're trying to inflict upon him. The final nail in the coffin is that, once Hades loses his control over these souls, they have no problem overpowering him and killing him for good. He straight up does not resist their abilities; He merely has the means to prevent these souls from ever harming him in the first place (until Kratos rips his soul out, anyways).

Resistance to Soul Manipulation & Poison Manipulation [Mimir]
Poison Manipulation (was able to be reanimated after being hit by the Eitr-imbued Leviathan Axe[1])
THE AXE LITERALLY KILLED HIM WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Can you believe it guys? Double digits! Yippee!!!
giphy.gif

Does this many threads in such a short timeframe count as spam? Well, only one way to find out!
Please make longer threads and let Kratos die a quicker death, I beg ye
Animal Manipulation [Hades]

Hades can command beasts like Cerberus, except that’s not even what happens in the attached scan. Cerberus is just kinda there, and attacks Kratos. Guard dogs are a real thing from real life, we don’t use special animal manipulating hax to get dogs to do things.
THE POWER OF GOOD BOI COMPELS YOU

This makes sense.
Shapeshifting [Hades]

This is why Hades currently has shapeshifting:

This is pretty blatantly not any form of shapeshifting. Saying he disappeared in a "sooty tornado" isn't saying he literally transformed into a whirlwind of ash and smoke, just like saying someone "disappeared into thin air" doesn't mean they literally shed their physical body to become as insubstantial and invisible as oxygen. Idc if he has it anyways by virtue of being a Greek god. I just want this shit off his profile.
Sure
Corruption [Hades]

The source is this scan, which mentions some force at play gradually corrupting Olympus. The scan is cropped a tad bit, so here's the full thing. If that's still not enough context, here are some more scans from the same source. While that's a lot of words, all these scans come to the same conclusion; The Great Evils, after being released from Pandora's Box, infested the gods and played with their emotions to make them crueler and more aggressive. Much of their overconfidence and general dickishness following the events of GoW 1 can be traced back to this "corruption". Thus, the blackness in the air that "corrupts everything" is not in reference to Hades (he is never even so much as implied to be its source), but is referring to the altered emotional states of the gods that consumed the halls of Olympus and made it a generally shitty place to be (hence the blackness in the air and the "corruption"). Not only is Hades irrelevant here, but the corruption in question isn't even literal in the first place.

I would like to say that this is a simple misunderstanding, but that'd be giving GoW supporters too much credit; They're already using this scan as a justification for the Great Evils and how they influence those around them, so they know damn well this has nothing to do with Hades "corrupting" Olympus. This would also require removing part of Kratos' resistance to corruption justification.
Seems fine.
Passive Literally Every Single Ability [Hades]

Currently, Hades’ page assumes his soul absorption - as well as every other ability he has access to - is passive. This is because of this scene, and this image from the art book. First half of this debunk is pretty easy; Taken at face value, this is just soul absorption, and none of Hades’ other abilities are used passively here. There is no reason to assume stuff like, say, life absorption, BFR, or underground mobility are being used passively here.

The first part is also easy, because there’s not really an indication his soul absorption is passive in the first place? Sure, it’s not made explicitly clear that Hades activated some sort of special ability here, but during the first half of the fight, he isn’t absorbing any souls. When he tries to take Kratos’ soul, it’s not done passively, but by Hades having to really struggle to try and rip it out, a thing which we see happen again during the war with the Titans. If this ability is passive, then all the Titans should’ve just died on the spot, and Kratos should’ve been fighting back against Hades’ attempts to rip out his soul during the entire fight, not just those initial few seconds.
Seems fine.
Resistance to Power Nullification, Life Absorption, & Magic Absorption [Hades]

This stems from how Hades can survive the souls of the river Styx attacking him and entering his body. One problem, though. Hades quite literally commands the souls of the dead; They couldn't attack him even if they tried (Hades' soul is like bug repellent for souls once Kratos gets a hold of it; they don't even bother approaching him), and they only do the whole absorption thing when attacking people. To make matters worse, this same scan is already being used as a justification for "passive" soul absorption, so the implication is that he's absorbing them rather than enduring some adverse effect they're trying to inflict upon him. The final nail in the coffin is that, once Hades loses his control over these souls, they have no problem overpowering him and killing him for good. He straight up does not resist their abilities; He merely has the means to prevent these souls from ever harming him in the first place (until Kratos rips his soul out, anyways).
Wasn't his soul yanked out by Kratos after he lost?
Resistance to Soul Manipulation
Eh, I mean he kept his soul IIRC.
& Poison Manipulation [Mimir]

THE AXE LITERALLY
KILLED HIM WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
This makes sense.

Wasn't his soul yanked out by Kratos after he lost?
Yeah, it was. After Kratos gets his soul, the lost souls in the Styx avoid him entirely, when prior to that, they attacked him on sight. So Hades' soul basically keeps the lost souls at bay, which isn't a resistance any more than me repelling mosquitos with bug spray gives me "resistance" to malaria. Once he loses his soul, the lost souls kill him, which shows he doesn't resist their powers innately.

Yeah, it was. After Kratos gets his soul, the lost souls in the Styx avoid him entirely, when prior to that, they attacked him on sight. So Hades' soul basically keeps the lost souls at bay, which isn't a resistance any more than me repelling mosquitos with bug spray gives me "resistance" to malaria. Once he loses his soul, the lost souls kill him, which shows he doesn't resist their powers innately.
1. Makes sense.

2. Love the analogy.

I generally agree with the OP, but there are 2 things I would like to mention.
Magic users and those who resist magic basically also resist soul manipulation because magics can affect souls, minds and even concepts, And Mimir has resistance to runic magics, which already gives him these things.
Poison Manipulation (was able to be reanimated after being hit by the Eitr-imbued Leviathan Axe[1])
THE AXE LITERALLY KILLED HIM WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
Btw what kills Mimir here is that his head is directly cut off by the axe. So... It's not really poison that kills him.

Magic users and those who resist magic basically also resist soul manipulation because magics can affect souls, minds and even concepts, And Mimir has resistance to runic magics, which already gives him these things.
The basis of him resisting soul manipulation for this reason is wrong. I will tackle the "magic can affect souls innately" thing later down the line. That claim in particular is getting nuked because there's just. Nothing substantiating it? And from what I recall, it was only ever agreed that gods resist their own magic, not that this is a universal property among magic users.
It's also completely laughable that the verse power page describes magic as a "manifestation of the soul" when beings who lack souls are perfectly capable of using magic

Btw what kills Mimir here is that his head is directly cut off by the axe. So... It's not really poison that kills him.
So why would he resist poison, then?

The basis of him resisting soul manipulation for this reason is wrong. I will tackle the "magic can affect souls innately" thing later down the line. That claim in particular is getting nuked because there's just. Nothing substantiating it? And from what I recall, it was only ever agreed that gods resist their own magic, not that this is a universal property among magic users.
This claim has nothing to do with what you are saying, it is directly related to primordial force, which is a fundamental concepts, souls and energies. And while the nature of magic is the same, it can be used more powerfully by the gods. The fact that no one can resist the magic of the gods except the gods of the 9 realms basically means that the gods are simply more powerful. It is even supported by the fact that these spells have a direct relationship with the spirits of the devren.

Freya, for example, is the most powerful user of Vanir magic, but the fact that she uses it more powerfully doesn't refuse its nature.
It's also completely laughable that the verse power page describes magic as a "manifestation of the soul" when beings who lack souls are perfectly capable of using magic
Beings without souls can use magic and even take damage? I don't see any problem with that.

There are already a lot of characters in the fiction who don't have souls or concepts but take damage from souls attacks or conceptual attacks, this just gives an extra feat to those who can damage them.

For example, would affecting and interacting with a character with NEP refuse his NEP? Ofc no.
So why would he resist poison, then?
If you look at the profile, you will see that Mimir has resistance to Seidr magic.

Last edited:
This claim has nothing to do with what you are saying, it is directly related to primordial force, which is a fundamental concepts, souls and energies. And while the nature of magic is the same, it can be used more powerfully by the gods. The fact that no one can resist the magic of the gods except the gods of the 9 realms basically means that the gods are simply more powerful. It is even supported by the fact that these spells have a direct relationship with the spirits of the devren.

Freya, for example, is the most powerful user of Vanir magic, but the fact that she uses it more powerfully doesn't refuse its nature.

Beings without souls can use magic and even take damage? I don't see any problem with that.

There are already a lot of characters in the fiction who don't have souls or concepts but take damage from souls attacks or conceptual attacks, this just gives an extra feat to those who can damage them.

For example, would affecting and interacting with a character with NEP refuse his NEP? Ofc no.

If you look at the profile, you will see that Mimir has resistance to Seidr magic.
I don't know why I'm even entertaining this. It is ******* absurd that Mimir gets his head cut off, literally dies, and that is the sole justification for his "resistance" on his profile. If he has it anyways from verse mechanics, I don't give a shit. I'm just downgrading the stuff on individual profiles before getting to the real meat of the revisions.

I don't know why I'm even entertaining this. It is ******* absurd that Mimir gets his head cut off, literally dies, and that is the sole justification for his "resistance" on his profile. If he has it anyways from verse mechanics, I don't give a shit. I'm just downgrading the stuff on individual profiles before getting to the real meat of the revisions.
So what's the cause of death? Poison? Or was his head severed from his body by an axe? Yeah, the second one.

Well, it's okay that you are not dealing with the mechanics of the verse, but this resistance that Mimir has is related to the mechanics of the verse, even if you remove the poison manipulation from his profile as written, he will still have resistance to poison manipulation because he has resistance to Seidr magic

Runic Magic (Able to resist all sorts of Nordic Magic alongside Kratos, like Bifrost Magic, Seidr Magic, Light Elf Magic and Vanir Magic)

Last edited:
So what's the cause of death? Poison? Or was his head severed from his body by an axe? Yeah, the second one.

Well, it's okay that you are not dealing with the mechanics of the verse, but this resistance that Mimir has is related to the mechanics of the verse, even if you remove the poison manipulation from his profile as written, he will still have resistance to poison manipulation because he has resistance to Seidr magic
Geor, let me present you with a hypothetical. Lets say my house burns down. I die (very tragic), and the coroner determines the cause of death was inhaling too much smoke. Now, because I died to the smoke and not the fire, does that mean I am immune to fire? Would I have survived being engulfed in flame if not for that pesky smoke? Think about it for a minute.

Also, Kratos doesn't even have resistance to Seidr, so upscaling Mimir from a feat that doesn't exist is really funny to me (he also doesn't have resistance to light elf or vanir magic, fwiw).

THE AXE LITERALLY KILLED HIM WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
Hey Fuji

How did Mimir die?

Like ignoring the poison bit since I can see why that'd be controversial, Freya can't bring back souls, if she could, she would've ressurected Brok. Mimir quite literally had to resist the soul fuckery of the Leviathan Axe in order for the possibility to be reanimated to exist.

Hey Fuji

How did Mimir die?

Like ignoring the poison bit since I can see why that'd be controversial, Freya can't bring back souls, if she could, she would've ressurected Brok. Mimir quite literally had to resist the soul fuckery of the Leviathan Axe in order for the possibility to be reanimated to exist.
The Leviathan Axe doesn't even destroy souls in their entirety, the only time it's soulhax ever comes into play is when it clashing with Mjolnir merely damaged a soul. You wouldn't need to bring back the entire soul.

The Leviathan Axe doesn't even destroy souls in their entirety, the only time it's soulhax ever comes into play is when it clashing with Mjolnir merely damaged a soul. You wouldn't need to bring back the entire soul.
Nothing is ever said that Mimir is missing bits of his soul after reanimation-- This is stated for Brok.

There's a bit of a consistency thing here.

Also, I don't give a skaven's ass about what's disagreeable for resisting the Leviathan Axe's soul fuckery since the whole verse does it, so tackle resisting it's affects in a CRT that effects people not named Thor, Kratos, or Faye(Like Baldur and Odin, from memory), since that's just a problem with resisting it itself, not Mimir specifically.

Geor, let me present you with a hypothetical. Lets say my house burns down. I die (very tragic), and the coroner determines the cause of death was inhaling too much smoke. Now, because I died to the smoke and not the fire, does that mean I am immune to fire? Would I have survived being engulfed in flame if not for that pesky smoke? Think about it for a minute.
I'm sorry but this is not a good example. Because it will be visibly obvious that you died because you were exposed to both fire and carbon dioxide.

However, game itself didn't say anything definite about the cause of Mimir's death here, the only thing the game showed us was that he died because his head was cut off, because when his head was cut off, Mimir died instantly, it is clear that the cause of death was not due to poison.
Also, Kratos doesn't even have resistance to Seidr, so upscaling Mimir from a feat that doesn't exist is really funny to me (he also doesn't have resistance to light elf or vanir magic, fwiw).
Freya and Odin can use Seidr magics(and all other norse magics), and even corrupted wizards can use it, which Kratos directly resists. This claim is inconsistent

hey that was KLOL, I wasn't about to question it
His resistance against corrupt wizards is a simple example of this.

Let me even say that the nature of these magics in common comes from the primordial force, it is the basis all of magics, the fact that Kratos is able to both resist it and also resist Odin and other users who use the Seidr magics and others is an indication of his resistance.

Why do we assume he can resist the poison though? If you cut my head with a poisoning axe I would instantly die but it would not mean the poison would not have killed me
Because he's resistant to the Seidr magic, if you look at the Seidr magic on the page, there is also poison manipulation.

Dude seriously... Can't you just read it instead of answering directly? I am giving this answer for the 4th time in this thread

Also, instead of making assumptions, can you prove that it was Poison that killed him?

His resistance against corrupt wizards is a simple example of this.

Let me even say that the nature of these magics in common comes from the primordial force, it is the basis all of magics, the fact that Kratos is able to both resist it and also resist Odin and other users who use the Seidr magics and others is an indication of his resistance.
Then why doesn't Kratos resist Runic magic on his profile lol

What does that have to do with this leviathan axe feat I am confused now lol
Dude... Resistance doesn't come from the axe, Lmao.

The ax was used against Mimir only to separate his head from his body.

Also, when we cut off Mimir's head, there was no poison in the ax yet.
Then why doesn't Kratos resist Runic magic on his profile lol
Oh sorry, isn't there already resistance?

Dude... Resistance doesn't come from the axe, Lmao.

The ax was used against Mimir only to separate his head from his body.

Also, when we cut off Mimir's head, there was no poison in the ax yet.

Yeah.
Uh... yeah. There was poison on it. You need to wake up Jormy to make it to Mimir. Jormy was the one that infused it.

Ahh yes yes, I got the scenes mixed up for a moment. That's right, we went to the serpent first.

And also ;
No. Kratos does not resist Runic magic on his profile

Which is fair, a good 95% of the time it's not that he resists it, its that he endures it

It's why Mimir doesn't resist electricity, he probably just endured it if it did any damage, Lord knows he's been through worse.

No. Kratos does not resist Runic magic on his profile

Which is fair, a good 905 of the time it's not that he resists it, its that he endures it

It's why Mimir doesn't resist electricity, he probably just endured it if it did any damage, Lord knows he's been through worse.
I guess it's okay

He only has Bifrost and a few others... Actually, Runic magic has things like type 1 concept and soul manipulation, and Kratos has separate resistances to those anyway... But whatever. Even though he doesn't have directly resistance, he just has to its effects separately. Because other magics have things like affecting concepts and souls.

Back