• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Doctor and the Time Lords minor abilities revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Note: I got some of the feats from a user in an old forum which I can't remember his username. So if you see this, I really thank you.​

The Doctor and the Time Lords​

Resistance to Existence Erasure​

The Doctor has also casually resisted being erased from existence. As the following passage shows, he went up against the Charon, reality warper who can create pocket universes on a whim. The Charon attempted to erase the Doctor from existence by picking his being apart bit by bit, but the Doctor was not only unaffected, he pulled his "true mass" from a slew of other dimensions and gathered enough power on the spot to defeat the Charon. Note that in the following passage, the "Magic Man" refers to the Doctor. Yani, who is observing the battle between the Charon and the Doctor, can see into dimensions other than the three that humans can perceive. The Doctor isn't actually physically changing, at least from the perspective of a human observer.

Now Yani watched the solid shadow of the Big Eating Thing - a form that she could only see hints of but, she knew, the others could not see at all - as it tore at the Magic Man, blasting him with alien energies and burning him up, peeling him back layer by layer.

And Yani saw, in a direction that the others would have never seen, that each time a layer was torn from the Magic Man he was getting bigger.

It directed another burst of energy at the Magic Man - burning away the thin and human-seeming figure that existed on the physical plane - and the Magic Man replaced it with what Yani thought of as his "other body". The body that nobody but she, and Kai, and the others of her people had been able to see.

And the thing that was in the quasi-space was vast now. Bigger than the sun.

Every time the thing inside had burned the hated thing away, the hated thing had merely got bigger. The thing inside couldn't understand it. It was as though a series of fleshy masks had been burned away, one after another, exposing the larger mass enfolded within to at last reveal the massive skull beneath the skin: the horror at the core.

And in dimensions and directions that only the thing inside could see, the hated thing was vast, now, impossibly powerful. It could crush the thing inside with the merest flicker of an idle thought. - Sky Pirates!

It should be noted that Time Lords are mapped onto the Time Vortex, the intersection between time and space, which exists in interstitial space, the gap between now and now.

Being a Time Lord meant more than simply having a good education, political power and a pompous title. The Rassilon Imprimatur actually changed the body of a Gallifreyan on a genetic level, force-evolving them from mere terrestrial beings into creatures of time, itself.

Many of the benefits from this are covered in the Time Lord Trait, but there are a host of other benefits as well, including bodily regeneration, the ability to symbiotically link to a TARDIS and the ability to survive for short periods in the Vortex without immediate dissolution.

Most importantly of all, Time Lords are ‘mapped’ onto the Vortex by their genetic investiture. This means, in effect, that a Time Lord’s ‘reality’ is much more solid than other, more ephemeral beings, and as a consequence is that much harder to change or erase. Even taking earlier incarnations out of their respective timelines serves only to weaken a Time Lord rather than erase them outright, and the Blinovitch Limitation field around a time-knapped earlier incarnation is so strong that it is very difficult to do any permanent harm to them. This gives a Time Lord time to locate the source of their problem and hopefully correct it before too much damage can be done to their permanent timeline. - The Time Traveller's Companion

Literally, this is outside of outside of reality. Conceptually, the Doctor (and any other Time Lord) exists outside of reality, so erasing him from reality isn't going to kill him. He can survive this as a disembodied consciousness and either use the TARDIS or Block Transfer Computation to reconstitute his physical form. As these passages show, existing outside of reality gives Time Lords a good deal of resistence to being erased from reality itself.

Time Lords exist, to a certain extent, outside of time. Holsred knew that, knew it should apply to him. He was a Time Lord, after all, albeit a very young one. He could defy chronology, and did so, landing punches a few seconds before they should have impacted, performing moves at impossible speeds, folding his tentacles through space-time so that they all made contact at once. - The Taking of Planet Five

The Doctor also resist the effects of the cracks in time, which literally erased Rory from time, reality, and even memory about him (The Doctor still remembers him, of course).

Resistance to Time Stop​

The Doctor resist Kronos' time stop ability

The Doctor and Jo watched as the retreating figures of the Brigadier, Sergeant Benton and Ruth Ingram suddenly ceased to retreat and became motionless. Still striving to move forward, their bodies were frozen, like running figures when the film is stopped.
‘What’s the matter with them?’ asked Jo.
The Doctor said, ‘You stay back.’
He began running towards Ruth Ingram, the nearest of the group. As he approached her he felt the resistance of the temporal distortion. Forcing his way through it, the Doctor grabbed Ruth’s arm and yanked her back towards Jo. As he retreated, movement became easier. By the time they reached Jo, Ruth was back to normal. She blinked and looked around.
‘What happened?’
‘That’s it,’ said the Doctor. ‘She’s outside the limit of the effect now.’ - The Time Monster

And resist Lamprey's time stop ability

Mel tried to turn her head to follow his gaze, but it was difficult. It felt like she was pushing her face against invisible treacle. She wanted to speak but was aware that even her breath was moving in slow motion. If she hadn’t been holding the Doctor tightly, she guessed that, like everyone else at the party who had seen what had so alarmed the Doctor, she too would have been frozen like a statue.

Frozen that is, all bar two others.

Clearly facing the same treacle effect, Helen Lamprey was trying to push through her immobile guests, obviously terrified by what she was seeing – people still; a glass that had been tipped, frozen in mid-drop, globules of golden liquid oozing out but now caught in mid-air. She was trying to reach her father, but that was scarier still.

Sir Bertrand Lamprey was, like the Doctor, totally unaffected by the time freeze and instead was moving at normal pace, trying to get people out of the way so that he could reach his slo-mo daughter.

‘Sir Bertrand!’ yelled the Doctor, and the other man stopped.

As if the sound were only just catching up with her, Helen began to move in the direction of his voice.

‘Sir Bertrand,’ said the Doctor again. ‘I can explain the time freeze, but can you explain why you’re not affected and Helen is only slightly?’

Mel gripped the Doctor tighter, aware that it was his Time Lord energy that surrounded his immediate body that was taking care of her. So what was the Lamprey family’s excuse for still moving, however slowly. - Spiral Scratch

Resistance to Magic + Magic Nullification​

Essentially, Time Lords have a permanent area of effect around them that nullifies magic. As this passage shows, the Doctor walked through a city powered by magic and simply by being there, forced the laws of physics to reassert themselves in the area and effectively cancelled out the magic.

The streets of the un-city shifted like the nonsense circuitry of the gynoids themselves, but it didnʼt take long to find Christopher Cwej at the heart of it all. The pathways arranged themselves into regular patterns as the Doctor passed by, almost as if they were scared of what he might do to them if they didnʼt comply. - Christmas on a Rational Planet

The Doctor's prep​

Weather Manipulation with Sonic Screwdriver / preparation time​

The Doctor amp his Sonic Screwdriver, used it to created a storm and making it rain.

‘I can't see what you're doing, but I bet you're doing just great!’ The Doctor's enthusiasm sounded strained. ‘Good luck, Martins. Get ready for the storm.’

Evan felt something hit his face. A drop of water. Then another. And another. It was raining. Evan was sure he heard a shout. It sounded like ‘Geronimo!’
‘Typical.’ Mr Martin laughed. ‘It's raining again!’
The Family couldn't help but smile, even now, at the scariest of times.
The rain became heavier, as if they were under a waterfall.

‘You're making it rain?’ Mrs Martin asked.
‘Yes. Apparently I can control the weather! Not your holiday weather though. That was just good old-fashioned Mother Nature.’ The Doctor laughed. ‘And, let me tell you, you shouldn't mess with her!’
Mr and Mrs Martin smiled, taking all of this wonderful madness in.
‘It's just a simple atmospheric excitation. Well, not simple. That mist was casuing all sorts of trouble. I had to find a way to amplify my sonic screwdriver to create some seriously heavy rain. Luckily I've got a TARDIS full of bits and pieces with which to build some amplification tech,’ he said, gesturing at his strange blue box.
The Doctor pulled a small metal thing from his jacket pocket. It let out an electronic Vreee! and emitted a green glow. The rain stopped instantly - The Mist of Sorrow

Also, Zagreus and the Dream Lord are the Doctor's dark side. So we should have a tabber called "Darkside of the Doctor" in their profiles and the Doctor's profile

Last edited:
As he said, CRTs aren't allowed, so I'll lock this until further notice.

I will say for now that I do agree with it.

CRTs are allowed again, so I unlocked this thread.

Mostly seems good
I would one issue I have with the Doctor's profile I've had for a while though

Why is he FTL+?

In 50 odd years worth of material this is the only FTL feat I can recall and the only one actually on the profile

Even ignoring that they're tagged by things much slower then this way too often for it just to be PIS

I trust ByAsura's sense of judgement regarding this in any case.

@Hellbeast I see your point, tbh. The Time Lords do have much faster reflexes than a human, but there's nothing that puts them at light-speed, let alone FTL+, except this feat.

THANK YOU

But yeah seriously the Doctor has some solid feats (Catching a poison dart from Blofotch Slitheen at close range) but nothing pointing to FTL

Even the next best feat in Spyfall (where she deflects light) is more reliant on her knowing where the blast will come and go and putting a reflective material just there

@Hellbeast
If I remember correctly: Twelfth Doctor slowed down his perception of time to calculate the damage of his fall in Heaven Sent. Thirteenth Doctor react to Krasko's time energy gun (laser), throwing his equipment back at the laser to zapping it back to the man's home time in Rosa.

1) That's not remotely FTL though

Also the fact he needed to slow his perception shows he can't function that quickly normally which puts even less stock into the FTL feat

2) Krasko's gun is a generic laser. It exhibits no traits that imply it's actual light thus it doesn't back up FTL+ Gallifreyans

And again it ignores the dozens or even hundreds of instances where these character have been tageed by far less (Meta Crisis couldn't react to Davros' Electricity from a decent distance)

I'm not saying that is FTL+ feats, I just give you a normal speed feats. Never agree with the Doctor's FTL+ anyway.
My god, why is everyone always think I'm always agree with the profile and will defend them?

Oh sorry haha (I saw laser and all I saw was red)

But yeah the perception slowing more implies an ability rather then any base speed

The laser could be neat f you calculate the distance it travelled in a certain ime (Not sure if it'd be good but hey)

Indeed

There might be a bullet timing feat but the problem is tons of these Doctor reaction feats are just

* Doctor sees man with weapon

* Dude with weapon points

* Doctor runs away

* Weapon fires and misses

I recall some feats like the Doctor dodging a huge fan, spinning really fast. I had some more stuff on my old respect thread but it's now deleted.

]

Yeah that was from the End of the World

It's solid but he seemed to have needed a moment to do that

I linked another feat plus my old blog.

Hmm the one with Smith could be helpful

The RT is solid but idk how good those speed feats are given one is literally the Doctor stepping back a foot or so

Yeah, I agree with the power additions.

I'm not sure about Zagreus, but I think the dreamlord should have his own page though, probably the same thing for the Valeyard as well.

Thank you for the input.
Dream Lord and Zagreus already have their own pages, I'm just gonna add the tabber "Darkside of the Doctor" which includes them.

So what are the summarised conclusions here?

I don't really have an opinion, but trust the others, and this does not seem very controversial, so it can probably be applied.

Please write a list of all the exact titles for all the pages that you need unlocked, so my automated script can handle it. Take note that this means what the pages are named, not what the characters in them are named. Thank you. Then tell me here when you are done, and I should lock them again.

I have unlocked them. Tell me here when you are done.

I will give them to you. Tell me here when you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back