• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Darkness Is Stronger Than God

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
In this thread, I'll be debunking the Myth that God and Amara are equal. The numbers are based on formatting from the Supernatural wiki. Digits before the decimal represent seasons, and numbers after are episodes.

Lucifer's Statement
According to Lucifer, God and The Darkness are equal in power, but God won the battle with her due to his experience and being a master strategist.

11.09 O Brother Where Art Thou?

• Sam: Is she equal to him in power?
  • Lucifer: Raw power? Sure. But she's got none of the experience. God is a master strategist. That's why you're here.
However, this whole statement falls apart if you really look at the context. Firstly, Lucifer was lying to Sam this whole time. He'd led him to believe that God wanted Sam to communicate with Lucifer.

11.09 O Brother Where Art Thou?

• Lucifer: I have to say, you're extraordinarily calm given the circumstances.
  • Sam: Well, it's pretty much exactly how God told me it was going to be. Guess I just have to go with it and play my hand.
  • Lucifer: Well, that would make so much sense if it was God that was doing the talking. You see Sam, when the Darkness descended the impact on Hell was massive. The Cage was damaged. Through the fissures I was able to reach out. It wasn't God inside your head Sam. It was me.
Secondly, Lucifer was trying to downplay The Darkness' power in order to possess Sam. For example, when Sam confronts Lucifer about the ludicrousness of facing her alone and says the Archangels all had God's help, he calls him the dead weight of the group.

11.10 The Devil in the Details

• Sam: You know what? You talk a good game. You do. Hell, you almost had me sold a few times. But then I thought what if you're right? What if you're telling the truth? What if you can beat her?
  • Lucifer [yelling]: I can!
  • Sam: Even though the last time it took you, plus three other archangels. Oh yeah, and capital G, God.
  • Lucifer: Oh okay, what, you mean the dead weight?
In fact, Lucifer says outright that he was manipulating people into believing that defeating Amara was less of a team effort than he led people to believe.

11.14 The Vessel

• LUCIFER: You're a clever little doggy. You're right, at the moment, I may be a bit under-equipped. Maybe defeating Amara was a bit more of a team effort than I led certain people to believe. All that said, I'm still your Master, did I let you out of that kennel too soon?
Later, after Lucifer reunites with God and has no reason to lie or manipulate anyone, he claims that without Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, they will lose the battle against The Darkness.

11.22 We Happy Few

• CHUCK: Amara's been caged for billions of years, but y'know, she was always there. She had to be there. Y'know, yin and yang. Dark and light.
  • DEAN: English, Chuck. (With an exasperated huff, CHUCK waves a hand and the Winchesters are downstairs.)
  • CHUCK: There's a harmony, a balance, in the universe. Light needs dark. Dark needs light. If you blow one of them up, then, I mean—
  • LUCIFER: It wouldn't be a good thing.
  • CHUCK: It'd be really not a good thing. Like 'end of reality' not good.
  • SAM: Okay, so we gift-wrap Amara. I mean, we got the team back together, so—
  • CHUCK: Not quite. We're still a few members short of the original line-up.
  • LUCIFER: Yeah, first time it took the combined strength of me and my brothers to weaken Amara before Daddy-O finished her off.
  • CHUCK: Even then it was close. Now with just the two of us, we'll lose.
  • DEAN: Okay, so what? We need more, uh, group therapy between you and the archangels if we wanna have a shot?
  • CHUCK: Well, Michael's in no condition to fight, and it's outside of my power to bring Gabriel and Raphael back.
Basically Everything Disagrees

Statements
It's stated that God and the Archangels barely stopped her

• DEATH (standing up): Before there was light, before there was God and the archangels, there wasn't nothing. There was the Darkness, a horribly destructive, amoral force that was beaten back by God and his archangels in a terrible war. God locked the Darkness away where it could do no harm, and he created a Mark that would serve as both lock and key, which he entrusted to his most valued Lieutenant, Lucifer. [...]
  • CHUCK: Not quite. We're still a few members short of the original line-up.
  • LUCIFER: Yeah, first time it took the combined strength of me and my brothers to weaken Amara before Daddy-O finished her off.
  • CHUCK: Even then it was close. Now with just the two of us, we'll lose.
  • DEAN: Okay, so what? We need more, uh, group therapy between you and the archangels if we wanna have a shot?
  • CHUCK: Well, Michael's in no condition to fight, and it's outside of my power to bring Gabriel and Raphael back.
Death is afraid of The Darkness and is willing to kill Sam on the chance that he'll bring him back

• DEAN: Okay, well, forget killing me. Can you get rid of it?
  • DEATH: I could.
  • DEAN: But...
  • DEATH: Creation ex nihilo -- God created the earth out of nothing -- or so your Sunday-school teacher would have you believe.
  • DEAN: What, so Genesis is a lie, eh? Shocker.
  • DEATH (standing up): Before there was light, before there was God and the archangels, there wasn't nothing. There was the Darkness, a horribly destructive, amoral force that was beaten back by God and his archangels in a terrible war. God locked the Darkness away where it could do no harm, and he created a Mark that would serve as both lock and key, which he entrusted to his most valued Lieutenant, Lucifer. [...]
  • DEATH: Our conundrum is simple, Sam. Your brother cannot be killed, and the Mark cannot be destroyed, not without inciting a far greater evil than any of us have ever known.
  • SAM: What evil?
  • DEAN: The Darkness.
  • SAM: What the hell is that?
  • DEAN: Well, what does it sound like? Does it sound like a good thing?
  • DEATH: Even if I remove Dean from the playing field, we're still left with you, loyal, dogged Sam, who I suspect will never rest until he sets his brother free ― (Death walks around Dean to stand between Sam and Dean. As he gets closer to Sam, Dean walks further away. Death walks closer to Sam until he is right in his face) will never rest until his brother is free of the Mark, which simply cannot happen, lest the Darkness be set free. Then there was that time you stood me up.
Amara states that even on his best day, God cannot force her hand

• AMARA: Don't. Even on your best day, you couldn't force my hand. And this is not your best day. In fact, I don't think you can do much of anything. Ah, a few parlor tricks, perhaps, but you can't leave this world, not without my help. And me? I'm done, Chuck. I've changed. I've adapted. I've... I've become the better me. And you? You are still the same... petulant, narcissistic. So... I'm leaving you here. Once, long ago, you sealed me away. Now, in a way... I'm doing the same to you. You're trapped, diminished, abandoned. So I guess you got what you've always wanted. You're on your own.
Feats
In a fit of rage after being heavily weakened, Amara banishes Lucifer, and then overpowers and almost kills God. It's even implied she was holding back so he could see the universe's destruction.

11.22 We Happy Few

• DEAN (grunting): No. Amara, what have you done?
  • SAM: He's dead. God's dead.
  • AMARA: No. He's dying. My brother will dim and fade away into nothing. But not until he sees what comes next. Not until he watches this world, everything he created, everything he loves turn to ash. Welcome to the end. (She disappears.)
It should be noted, however, that God was also capable of killing here here

• AMARA (with a bitter laugh): Well, you've won again. (She sighs heavily.) Finish it. Kill me.
At the end of the episode, she proceeds to heal the damage with absolute ease. The same thing happens again in Season 15, where The Darkness is more than capable of healing God after he sustained heavy injuries from the Equalizer.

Counter Arguments

Mandatory Existence
This isn't stated to be a power thing, it's about balance between light and dark in the universe

• CHUCK: Yeah, no, I— I'm dying. So, we don't really have a choice. I mean, look. Y-You've got darkness and light. Y-You take one side away a-and—
  • CAS: It upsets the scales—the whole balance of the universe.
  • SAM: Exactly. But you take both away, and now both sides of the scale are empty, so...
  • CAS: Of course. It's balanced.
  • CHUCK: Amara, we've been all through this. We belong together.
  • AMARA: Yes. Yes, yin, yang, balance of nature. I am willing to coexist with you, brother, in the universe. Just not, you know, anywhere near you.
A Statement

• AMARA: That's your story. Not mine. The real reason you banished me, why I couldn't be allowed to exist you couldn't stand it. Yeah, we're equals. We weren't great or powerful because we stood only in relation to each other. You think you made the archangels to bring light? No. You made them to create lesser beings, to make you large. (She struggles to her feet.) To make you Lord. It was ego! You wanted to be big!
She could also be referring to status. Amara says right after "We weren't great or powerful because we stood only in relation to each other" and implies she isn't a lesser being. So it is probably status. Also, The Darkness has said in the past that she's more powerful than God.

• Grown Darkness: Amara... You must stay fixed on our purpose. Even we cannot undo what's already done. But as you grow and become stronger, your true destiny will become clear to you. I am what you are becoming. And we are mightier than God.

I apologize for the necro post. But I had adressed the same question a few years back and have a different interpretation of the facts here: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1080104

I think there are good arguments for both sides and thus until we maybe get a confirmation when the series is finished, we shouldn't make a definitive statement.

Well, it depends on what ByAsura thinks.

Back