• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Boxer - Analytical Prediction scaling and resistances

azontr

He/Him
I've been putting this off for a while now, but, it's about time that we get this set in stone.

To start off with how analytical prediction in the series works, even the most basic of Boxers are capable of utilizing analytical prediction, which involves the analysis of the movement of the opponent's shoulders, their footwork, rhythm, and their habits, and basically any physical information they can use to avoid attacks they wouldn't normally be able to dodge, specifically stated as attacks that are "impossible to see coming".

Then we get to the so-called "Geniuses" in the series, who take this to the next level. People on the level of prodigies in the series possess a unique "flow", a concept in fighting that allows for immense fluidity, allowing for little loss of kinetic energy between motions and sharp increases of strength for exceptionally skilled prodigies. This fluidity has shown to provide a resistance to analytical abilities, as shown with Baeksan Ryu, who was unable to be read by characters like Siha Lee, who already possess heavily advanced forms of analytical prediction. This would mean that those "geniuses" with superior "flow" in comparison to other fighters, therefore having a higher skill level, can resist analytical prediction from those with lower skill levels.

So, my proposal boils down to:

• All Boxers in the series get Analytical Prediction(except for a select few who are blatantly unskilled, like Victor)
  • All characters that are considered "Geniuses" get resistance to analytical prediction (Yu, Jean, Siha, Ryu, etc)

Looks pretty solid honestly. Though this feels like by default something that would be handed on to a trained fighter like a boxer or MMA fighter in that case. Since by default everyone would be observing the other and predicting what they can do?

Though this feels like by default something that would be handed on to a trained fighter like a boxer or MMA fighter in that case. Since by default everyone would be observing the other and predicting what they can do?
We wouldn't give his to any MMA fighter/Boxer in fiction unless it's explicitly stated that's what their doing. In some cases, analytical prediction in a boxing story could be treated as something super rare, meanwhile in The Boxer it's one of the most basic possible techniques.

We wouldn't give his to any MMA fighter/Boxer in fiction unless it's explicitly stated that's what their doing. In some cases, analytical prediction in a boxing story could be treated as something super rare, meanwhile in The Boxer it's one of the most basic possible techniques.
Yeah that makes sense. But is it really AP to the level of perfectly predicting your attacks? I thought AP has to be to the point of full on precog? So far only Siha and Jean had displayed such an AP to the point of doing that.

Cause even if you say it's "Boxers have been training all this time to be developing AP to match their opponent" doesn't that only apply to other actual boxers?

This is completely incorrect. I have no idea where you got this information.

I don't understand your point.
1 - On second thought yeah that was wrong.

2 - I'm more clarifying on if even basic boxers can apply this Analytical Prediction against other martial artists. Since from what's described by your own wording, Boxers have been training all their life for this against other boxers. Since Qasid who wasn't doing proper boxing at all completely overwhelmed basic boxers.

Mind you sure he has a wild fighting style, but it's still pretty much brawling backed up with a strong body.

2 - I'm more clarifying on if even basic boxers can apply this Analytical Prediction against other martial artists. Since from what's described by your own wording, Boxers have been training all their life for this against other boxers. Since Qasid who wasn't doing proper boxing at all completely overwhelmed basic boxers.
Qasim is a Genius level character, he has resistance to basic analytical prediction Boxers have, so of course he would overwhelm them with that + his inhuman physical strength. Boxers can apply their analytical prediction against any fighter, Qasim just happened to have a specific resistance to the ability, so using him as an argument to say this analytical prediction would be ineffective against other Martial Arts isn't going to cut it.

Qasid is a Genius level character, he has resistance to basic analytical prediction Boxers have, so of course he would overwhelm them with that + his inhuman physical strength. Boxers can apply their analytical prediction against any fighter, Qasim just happened to have a specific resistance to the ability, so using him as an argument to say this analytical prediction would be ineffective against other Martial Arts isn't going to cut it.
How is he a genius? His entire fighting style stems mostly from his physical stats and unpredictable fighting style. K only praised his fighting style. The moment someone was on his stat level he couldn't even try to predict his opponent or do anything properly (IE Yu)

And why is Kazu also treated like a talented genius for simply being able to predict a basic brawler Yuto, prior to his true training? Kazu was also praised for his precision but I mean if you're predicting opponents sure that makes sense.

Also if a person makes mistake with their Analytical Prediction that doesn't give the opponent Resistance. It simply means they couldn't predict the opponent's next move. This is further made difficult by the fact that K's words was more describing Boxers train for years to read their opponent's movements and so. However K never said that they mastered it to the point that they all do prediction wars against each other.

The only exceptions here are obviously the true geniuses like Kazu, Jean, and Siha, alongside Ryu and Yu who have actively shown the feats that you displayed. Makes sense.

Dude if the story states their a genius then they are. Both Qasim and Kazu are stated to be genius-level fighter within the world of The Boxer, so they, for our purposes, have a resistance to analytical prediction. Simply because you believe their movements to "basic" or whatever you think does not refute the scaling. Your assumptions on that are irrelevant.

The rest of your argument is just flat out not grounded in any form of reason. We have 0 reason to believe Siha, or anybody, made any form of mistake with their analytical prediction, outside of your baseless assumptions. It's blatant in the story that higher levels of skill equates to a resistance to analytical prediction.

There are no "exceptions" as you've tried to push. My proposal is concrete, and you've made multiple baseless assumptions.

Changes proposed by the OP seems pretty simple and straightforward... It is also worth noting that even if the story calls them geniuses, if they have no feats to back it up then the statment is unusable, in the same way that a story can say that X character has 1000 IQ but no feats to back it up which is not the case here, so yeah... I also believe that the changes are so simple that you could apply them since you have good approval, or if you want you can wait for more approval.

"Genius" in the Boxer is not synonymous with the actual "Combat Genius" rating we give on intelligence sections, unless the character has feats, yes. I never planned to apply a Genius combatant rating to characters who did not deserve it, only to establish the analytical prediction scaling within the verse.

Alright.

Since this is an uncontroversial proposal, with user opinions and a staff approval, then I will get to applying this revision soon.

I mean it's basically as straightforward as possible. I honestly did expect more contentions, though.

Just so we're clear, any boxer that is more skilled than a previous genius boxer will get a higher potency Anal and resistance to it?

Though to clarify-

The resistance is only applicable to characters who are confirmed "geniuses", above the norm, in a sense.

So uh, for example, Character A could have better Analytical Prediction than Character B, but Character A wouldn't have a resistance, because he isn't a genius, he's just more skilled than Character B, so he has better predictions.

Back