• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Galaxy Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am concerned about the stats for the Super Mario Galaxy keys.

How does it make sense for Mario to be randomly stronger in SMG without any power-ups? If we use "Mario runs on inconsistent cartoon logic" to justify it we would've applied this to Kirby and scaled him to Magolor.

But we rightfully don't, and still treat it as an outlier for being contradicted by everything else he's done. Why is Mario treated any differently?

I can ask Dino Ranger Black what he thinks, but I think that the difference is that Kirby still has a continuity, whereas the Mario games are treated separately.

In any case, I have no problem with using both the Kirby or Mario approach. I do not think that this is the kind of issue that has a clear-cut answer that must be applied to everything. There is no harm in allowing Mario an extra statistics key after all.

The problem is that this key is based off a single feat that is likely a massive outlier, and is only allowed presumably because Mario is inconsistent despite high-end feats in other more inconsistent verses getting rejected.

Hmm. I suppose that you have a point. Let's wait to see what DRB thinks.

I agree it seems like one big outlier. I dont think that Bowser absorbing the Grand Power Stars means that he is galaxy level, he's basically just a slightly giant Bowser. Outside of fighting Mario he doesnt really have any feats as far as I can recall. AFAIK the meteors hitting Lubba's ship was an offscreen attack and I dont think can be applied to GS powered Bowser or whatever he was in SMG2.

Perhaps "3-B with preparation" would be more appropriate?

I say we wait for drb to give his 2 cents since this topic has come up a couple times in other threads and he has already discussed why super Mario galaxy stats are there in the first place.

@Kevyn Souza 'CAN turn into Galaxies' does not instantly mean Galaxy level, NOR does it mean that Mario gets that kind of power, in fact, didn't the Lumas that DID turn into Galaxies require being fed a LOT of Star Bits?

Neosonic97 said:
@Kevyn Souza 'CAN turn into Galaxies' does not instantly mean Galaxy level, NOR does it mean that Mario gets that kind of power, in fact, didn't the Lumas that DID turn into Galaxies require being fed a LOT of Star Bits?
For starters, my reference was to:

How does it make sense for Mario to be randomly stronger in SMG without any power-ups?

The Luma gave Mario no readily apparent physical buffs- only the Star Spin, and POSSIBLY the ability to use Pull Stars.

So unless you're willing to tell me that most enemies in the Mario universe with the exception of only a few extremely weak ones like Goombas (Given that most need more than one hit from Mario to take down) are Galaxy Level with no apparent buffs to them, there's just no logical way to put it.

I mean, the feats and abilities themselves were consistent across both Galaxy games, and there were several statements to back it up IIRC. I'll wait for DRB though.

From what I remember, the last time we discussed about the stats in SMG series and implmenting them in Mario's profile, we agreed to make it a divider since the rating is abit of a huge gap. I was initially against it at first until I done the revision. If people have an issue with it, I can't really say I blame them since this is the only time I recall a page having one. I guess we may have to re-work the page. But if we are going to edit Mario's page again, it's going to require major revision before we settle on what to scale him over all in terms of consistency.

I was thinking we could simply omit the stats for his "Super Mario Galaxy Series" key while leaving his others intact, and putting a note explaining the battle with Grand Star Bowser is considered an outlier. This would also affect SMG Luigi but SMG Bowser's stats would remain the same as he had a power-up before doing the feats.

Alternately we could give Bowser "At least 3-B with preparation" statistics, separate from his regular ones.

That does sound like a logically conclusion but I think Mario does deserve a revision before we omit the SMG since he fought enough foes beyond Small City level to warrant such. Granted, they vary in power but still.

@Ant Maybe for the first game via Galaxy Reactor but in the second game he actually recieving power from the Grand Star which I don't recall any prep from that game.

Antvasima: I thought Bowser still had being powered by a source that could turn into galaxies going for him?

Dino Ranger Black: Mario is rated as likely island level.

Well, how about this: I will list all the climax/major battles throughout the series while notifying the feats. And then we will decide from there.

Oh.....but Dark Bowser was going to destroy the MK and statements in the game also support he was going to destroy the world, which is clearly larger than an island. Anyway, here's Mario's notable fights in franchise. I'll be including fights where he has nothing or no one argumenting his powers so most of the PM series as well as certian event fights such as his battle with Antasma will be excluded:

SM64: Against Bowser with the Power Stars. Bowser used the Power Stars to create worlds in the paintings and trap people in there. Truth to be said, I don't know how large the worlds are but some of them has a sun in it and we later learn what power stars are capable of in the SMG series if you wish to use this info.

SMG2: Fought Bowser again but this time with a Grand Star, an artifact Bowser was going to useto create galaxy and destroyed the universe in SMG1. He did nearly the same thing in the final battle via Black Hole.

SMRPG: Fought Smithy, who is superior to Exor. He also fought Culex. He doesn't receieve any notable power buff in his end from what I recall.

M and L:BIS: Fought the Dark Star and the Dark Star Core. The Dark Star in the past was only defeated by the Star Sprites, who are similar to the Star Spirits. He also beat Bowser in the credits, who just destroyed Dark Bowser.

M and L:DT: Fought Dreamy Bowser who is basically holding the power of mutiple dream worlds. I want to say he also help Giant Luigi with the Zeekeeper but I believe the only time he can aided him in these battles is when they use the Drill Stomp attack.

PM: Color Splash: Fought Black Bowser. The black paint powering up Bowser is basically a mix of all the colors which according to one of the Big Paint Stars, gives life to the world.

M and L:pJ: Fought ShinyRoboBowser, who can counter Paper Mario's Trio Attack. One of the Trio Attacks involves Paper Mario reality warping them into a space arena with actual stars, unlike previous attacks.

As we all know, he also fights Bowser and his army regulary hence why I didn't mention most of the other games.

Well, I am not informed enough to make any statistics suggestions. Sorry.

If Mario had a Grand Star powering him during SMG2, wouldn't it still be alright for him to keep these stats but have it specified that its only with that power up?

I'm gonna have to say no. This is becoming quite common in the Mario Galaxy series to have feats of this level, considering it happened in both of the games. And with the inclusion of SMG3 coming out later (I think this year), it would at the very least be worth it to wait. Let alone just downgrade. Because the thing that separates this from Kirby and Sonic is that one, it's the main villain and not a MotD trope doing it, and two, he did it twice within the same title series. Also, while it doesn't mean much, the OBD doesn't find it an outlier either.

There's nothing indicating he's specifically stronger in the Mario Galaxy series, unless him being powered by the Grand Star is true.

Cropfist said:
There's nothing indicating he's specifically stronger in the Mario Galaxy series, unless him being powered by the Grand Star is true.
Kinda why I was against the tabber in the first place.

@Howard Well, given that it was a repeat feat, you do have a point in that it may be best to let Mario's statistics stay as they are.

@Ryu As far as I'm concern, Mario never used the Grand Stars. Only Bowser did from what I remember.

So I guess we leave the stats the way they are then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back