• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Bros: Major Revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino_Ranger_Black

VS Battles
Retired
Hello everyone. This is Dino Ranger Black. I hope everyone is doing fine in the community. I was hoping to wait until June due to the upcoming sport spin-off on the Switch but I figured it's better to discuss it now while I'm more available. Plus, I doubt the events in Aces will heavily impact this thread. It's a revision of stats of the Mario franchise. Yeah…...we are doing this again but this time for a reason......maintaining the standards and consistency of our site.

Tier 4 Base Stats Revision

If you recall our last revision, we found a number of Tier 4 feats across the franchise that makes it alot more easier to scale formerly inconsistent stats. Eventually, it was agree to scale the characters to 4-A for the abundant amount of constellation feats that was once viewed as a Multi-Solar System feat, however, there was a revision for Celestial Bodies right after and it turns out the constellation feats are generally considered High 4-C. I, initially, stated that the statistics remain due to the fact that the main factor for the rating, the Power Stars, has 3-C feats from the Galaxy titles, debunking all speculation but there's been more threads rather confused about the matter and it's easy to understand why. Some take issue of legitimacy of a single feat over a multitude of others while others take issue about the users. Since most of these issues are associated with the Power Stars, it would be best if we rate the characters on feats without them involved. So far, there have been two notable feats, both are related to constellations. In SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi created a constellation upon defeating Raphael the Rave and Mario fought Antasma, who created a dream world large enough to contain constellation for Dreamy Luigi to use Luiginary Attacks. In the same battle, Antasma can overpower and consume Dreamy Luigi to power himself up and Mario is still capable of battling and tanking him. According to the Celestial Body page, constellation feats are no longer considered 4-A and are often treated as High 4-C. This will result in a massive downgrade, so most of the recurring characters will be changed from Multi-Solar System to Large Star. This applies to anybody who either fought or are scaled off them.

Power Star implementatio

Thankfully, however, all the feats involved with the Power Stars will not be a waste. According to Super Mario 64 it's remake, as well as the manual, Power Stars have the ability to empower and strengthen the wielder. Not only this is proven true with Bowser on several occasions and Wiggler from SM64 (Albeit, the latter did so unintentionally and is a much weaker user of it), it's demonstrated again in Mario Party 2 where Toad gives it to the character of the player's choice to overpower Bowser and his metal transformation. (See here). As established in SM64 and the Galaxy games, Power Stars are comparable to Lumas and can create realms with multiple stars and galaxies. Based off the current feats and stats of the Power Star itself, a variable Large Star+ to Galaxy level rating will be given to the characters empowered by these artifacts. This will apply to the following characters:

Bowser (Used it to create said realms in SM64 and it's remake)

Mario (Fought Bowser with them in both games.)

Luigi

Yoshi

Wario (They are 3 playable characters that also received power from the stars in the remake.)

Princess Peach (The owner of stars and the castle, which she used to power it, and can use it in Mario Party 2.)

Donkey Kong (Debatable but he is one of the 6 characters who could use it in Mario Party 2. Others playable characters are the previously mentioned 5. As far as other installment goes, no other character else have used them.)

Bowser Jr. (With technology only. As far as the Galaxy games goes, he never used it upon himself.)

Daisy and Waluigi's revision

I currently have Daisy and Waluigi at Unknown tiers due to the limited feats to go by in the spin-offs they appear, as well as, their lack of reliable ones. However, I believe we can scale Daisy to the other cast thanks to Super Mario Ru. She fights Boom Boom, a recurring boss of the Koopa Troop who fought Mario and co. multiple times and Bowser himself while tanking hits from both. One could argue about the fact this game is merely an app. However, it's inclusion doesn't appear to be conflicting the franchise. Waluigi, I'm still not sure tbh but my best reason in scaling the other cast is due to the combative nature of the Striker games and Mario Sport Mix. I'll let you people decide whether it's legitimate.

Paper Mario Canoncity issue…...again.

This problem is admittedly associated with my pet peeve but it seems that it's still unclear that Paper Mario series is part of the overall main franchise. I consistently elaborated the characters that originated from the PM games such as the Star Spirits and Goomboss actually appeared in other games such as Mario Party 5 and Super Mario 64 DS. Goomboss even refer to how he finally turned the tables on Mario since their last encounter and Toadette's trophy description established that she's the same character in TTYD and MK games. All the characters in the Mario, regardless of their artstyle or genres, are the same characters. Nintendo only likes switching and splitting them up when a game they want to make calls for it. Paper Jam isn't a game that establish a different canon as Nintendo could care less about it.

I even noted this is confirmed by the remake of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. The monitor (Which wasn't in the original) established the blocks in the room are from Mario's past adventures. One of them is Paper Mario (N64).

Prf1

Pf2

However, this problem continues to persist due to aforementioned 5th installment of the M and L series, Paper Jam into the point, people mistaken and confused the Battle Cards discussed on Mario's profile with the Color Splash ones, despite the fact the Paper Mario in this game is completely different from the ones in previous PM games.This is why for the sake of clarification, Mario's stats and abilities from the PM series should be moved back to the main page. The main reason we created two separate pages for these characters is for organization and the fact there are inconsistent stats across the board. However, now we have the proper revisions and the page is no longer cluttered or disorganized, we can include the abilities back into the primary Mario page. Don't worry, the Paper Mario page is not going to waste. Instead, we will rename the page Paper Mario (Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam). His summary, stats, powers, and abilities will be entirely focused on that game and that game only. This will be the best way to inform everyone the differences btw the Paper Mario from Paper Jam and the main one from the PM series.

Anyway, these are all the revisions the series should have until further information. Thanks for taking the time to read this and please inform me of your thoughts and suggestions. However, expect a long delay in receiving a reply from me since I'm going to catch some sleep tonight and see Avengers: Infinity War tomorrow (Yay!) with my job right after.

New Ability Additions

Due to the newly released Mario Tennis Aces (And a retrospective of it's previous entries, the following abilities should be added to the characters who are playable in these titles:

Energy Manipulation/Energy Projection: In Mario Power Tennis, the selected character has the ability to fire energy projectiles. Said characters can also charge to unleash a barrage homing projectiles. Energy is also used in Aces for Special Shots and Zone Shots, which are significantly more powerful than a normal shot into the point the racket can break from them.

Time Manipulation: All the characters playable in Mario Tennis Aces can use the Zone Speed ability. It's stated to be an ability that makes catching the ball and blocking shots easier by slowing down time around the user.

Afterimage Creation: Practically every playable character in Mario Tennis Aces can create afterimages of themselves when performing Trick Shots. A pointless ability but it's there.

There was a calc that puts them at Large Star level+ a while back; is that a legit feat? And the Paper Mario canonicity thing seems legit; Paper Jam is just really weird. There's also Cranky Kong, who fought alongside the others in the end of Yoshi's Island DS. Kinda funny how baby Cranky Kong was his prime and that his adult self is fodder

And understandable. Rest well.

I agree with the downgrades, also the Massively FTL+ speed should be only for the 3-C characters.

1] The realms in Super Mario 64 don't have the High 4-C+ black holes, but you might decide to scale them from King Whomp , who appeared in 64 and his realm has a black hole in Galaxy.

2] Mario 11-A key should be removed or scaled to A Link betwen Words, Bowser, Luigi and Peach.

3] Laslty there are many abilities to apply, check them.

Note: The Funky Kong profile will be posted on May 4.

Well more specifically it was Kamek's magic that let Raphael turn into a star less so Yoshi but Yoshi scales anyway so it doesn't change anything

I agree with these changes.

In regards to the Paper Mario thing, I think a blog post explaining why Mario and Paper Mario characters are the same would be a good idea.

Everything seems fine, except one thing: As you said, Mario should be 3-C via the power of the stars...

Honestly, if we have to put it like that, Mario should simply get two keys:

Pre-Super Mario 64/Super Mario 64 | Post-Super Mario 64.

Why that? Well, before Super Mario 64, Mario has already a decent amount of High 4-C feats: Yoshi's feat, Power Stars creating a realm with a star and with several stars in Super Mario 64, Dark's point about the realm and a few more.

However, what you said about Mario being empowered by the Power Stars is false. Mario CAN be empowered by them, but it's NOT necessarily like that. Not to mention that, at the end, all the Power Stars returns to the castle, which means that Mario lost the Power Stars.

Then again, it is true that Mario can collect other Power Stars after the game, however, that is optional. It's not a thing you have to do in order to finish the game or something: the story and the plot is already terminated.

In addition, without Power Stars, Mario can beat several characters empowered by Power Stars/Grand Stars in SMG, can beat Bowser who survived the destruction of World 6, and in Super Mario 3D World, can beat other characters empowered by Green Stars, which are equal to Power Stars.

Which means that, before Super Mario 64, Mario is High 4-C, after that game, he can be potentially and easily 3-C for all those feats. Now, who scales?

Well, Luigi, Yoshi and Bowser obviously scale. Luigi is equal to him, Yoshi si equal to him in the SMG games and in the games after that, and Bowser, i don't even think i need to explain that.

Peach, Wario and DK also scale. Why?First of all, Kamek stated that the Star Children are pretty much equal in power (every Star Child possess "extraordinary power that can take over the universe"), as they all possess a star in their heart. Second, Peach also survived the destruction of World 6 in SMG2, which means that at her peak she has similiar feats to Mario. Third, she beated several characters empowered by Green Stars in Super Mario 3D world, which makes her just as potent as Mario. Last but not least, Peach also showed to be comparable to Post-Super Mario 64 Mario many times (for example, in Mario + Rabbid Kingdoms, in Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, in Super Princess Peach and etc).

Wario and DK scale as well, since they have showed to be on par with Mario (Post-Super Mario 64. For example, DK has fought Mario in the many Mario vs DK games and Wario is obviously on par with Mario as they always contend in "who is more powerful" and etc").

Bowser Jr, of course, get a 3-C upgrade (he is 3-C with his mechs only though).

Overall: Mario: High 4-C | 3-C

Pre-Super Mario 64/Super Mario 64 | Post-Super Mario 64.

About speed, everyone who is High 4-C should be Sub-Relativistic. The 3-C characters should all be MFTL+. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and Bowser are easily faster than all the characters empowered by Green Stars in SM3D World.

Not to mention the MFTL+ feats from SMG and from Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (Luigi jumped in a constellation, Mario jumps in outer space and catches a star and etc). DK scale as he is a playable character in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom (yep, DK is going to be a DLC character) and also because he fought Mario in the many Mario vs DK games. Wario should be MFTL+ because he is constantly compared to Mario and all that stuff.

Do you think it's legit?

Yep, that's also true.

Which means that from the very beginning, Mario and the others were able to defeat characters empowered by Power Stars, despite the fact that Mario and the others weren't empowered by the latters.

This looks pretty neat so far! I'd also like to mention that Mario Party 2's ending seems to show a respectable lifting strength feat -throwing the weight of 10 Bowsers into the planet's upper atmosphere- although it doesn't seem like anyone is very concerned about it.

On a similar Mario series Lifting Strength feat-related topic, Kamek (Or a Magikoopa; The Magikoopa's original Japanese name is Kamek's name, so telling Kamek & other Magikoopa is often difficult.) has a Lifting Strength upgrade in Mario Party 8.

I'd link the video, but I have to get some sleep soon. Put simply, magic/telekinesis is used to decouple, & lift a whole train car & then reattach it to a different part of the train.

Given Kamek's best LS feat so far is lifting a big hammer, this could upgrade.

Also, there's still A LOT of feats I'd want to get calculated before, but there's still several feats for Mario Fodder enemies that could give them some decent statistics.

With the calculations I do have, there are some upgrades for Goomba & Koopa.

Would such a thread be okay for discussing the feats for Mario fodder enemies?

Also, for the fodder enemies, it is okay to include the abilities their Paper Mario versions & subspecies have as well?

@Dark and ArcuesBowser

My apologies. I wasn't ignoring you. I was up earlier than expected due to my excitement of the Avengers movie, so I figure I use the time to correct the grammatical errors I made on the thread before I head off. Anyway, I'm fully aware of those events happening but if you guys recall, I like to focused on their feats that aren't involved with the Power Stars since it's the reason for the skeptism to begin with. I feel that with a rating at base level and another with the empowerment of an item, it would make the profiles somewhat easier to scale for future characters. Plus, I believe it would make more sense. While it's true that at the end of SM64, the Power Stars are returned to the castle, it doesn't mean they are gone from the franchise or can longer be used as seen with MP2 and the Galaxy titles. In addition, I'm rather against scaling the characters based on era. While the franchise has a timeline, it doesn't run on the Shonen Anime logic where characters get stronger as time goes on. It's more like they are strong when the situation or story calls for it.

@Dark

I'll check the page when I'm done.

@Imaginym

I'll stick with Kamek's English-translated name since I'm more used to it. Please let me know once you have the calc. ready for the character. Me and and the other staff members will then judge it.

@ArceusBowser44: IIRC, the main reason we have all Mario's feats from all the games together is because of, IIRC, an officially stated lack of continuity to the series.

In my opinion, assuming that Mario has a timeline outside of some of the RPGs is questionable, much less between games.

@Dino Ranger Black: I am not a capable user in regards to calculation. I'm not a calc group member, nor am I smart in regards to maths, physics, etc.

So the Metal Bowser throw & Kamek lifting a train car feats will probably need to be done by someone else, I suppose.

That said, what should we do when we have something like a Magikoopa in a Mario Party game who's title cards call him Kamek but nothing else indicates it's Kamek?

Or a Kamek-like Magikoopa is generic & unresemblant of Kamek himself?

Also, what of calcs for fodder enemies?

@DRB No worries, it's ok. :)

Anyway, honestly, there wouldn't be a problem in scaling though. The 7 Star Children are the only ones who scale, and they are also the only ones who have 3-C feats, as well as being able to damage 3-C beings. The other characters that appeared after SM64 don't really have a 3-C feat, at all (outside of fighting Mario, but then again, most of those characters are just minor bosses). While it's true that Power Stars also appear in future games, in those future games they aren't used to empower the characters.

What about this then: the characters are High 4-C. The Seven Star Children are "High 4-C to 3-C", and "3-C with equipment".

This way, the scaling makes sense and we don't have to do scaling based on eras.

Oh yeah, speaking of abilities, I noticed Luigi's page is unfinished. Some of the abilities on Mario's profile should also be added to Luigi's. Luigi appears in Paper Jam to use Battle Cards and Luigi's also used Stop Watch in both SMB 2 and Super Paper Mario.

I also agree with Dark649, I personally think the 11-A key should be removed. It seems more like a form of Spacial Intangibility if you ask me. It's not like 10-C characters start to become upper dimensional gods in Mario's eyes the moment he becomes flat.

IIRC, I have already mentioned that the Paper Mario verse was explicitly stated to be a separate Dimension of the SMB verse and contained in a book.

@Magi Hussie

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. If you actually read my the PM section of the thread, you realize that the said paper counterparts are not the characters based from previous PM games since events and characters from the series are carried over in different games such as the said remake of Mario and Luigi: SSS. In fact, in one cutscene in Paper Jam, Paper Peach suggested the real Peach to wear a ponytail and participate sports with the other agreeing.This is a major condraction since not only Peach has done so on mutiple ocassions but the paper counterpart has not participated in any sport whatsoever if we were to assume she is the Peach that represents the PM games. They are simply paper versions of the characters, not completely different characters.

Paper Jam is just game with a weird lore, And based on reviews is a mediocre RPG and the black sheep of all Mario RPG games; even worse than Sticker Star in that regard. But anyway, Nintendo kind of wants to forget about Paper Jam and it's consistent that both Thousand Year Door and the original Paper Mario are connected to the main series. The original Paper Mario was even supposed to be a direct sequel to Legend of the Seven Stars.

@DarkDragonMedues

Yeah, no. The Black Sheep title goes to Sticker Star as it's not even a proper RPG to begin within and bosses are completely luck-based. Paper Jam is simply the weakest Maro and Luigi game. It's no means a bad one or bad RPG at all, considering the gameplay, humor, and music quality are still sound....just not up to par with previous entries. But that's not the point. Main point is that Paper Mario games and all it's characters and events are still part of the main Mario franchise.

I never played Paper Jam, but I agree that Sticker Star was an incredible disappointment. I was just looking at the reviews and from Watchmojo putting Paper Jam at #10 and Sticker Star at #9. I know WM is unreliable. And Sticker Star wasn't horrible, but it's not really and RPG if it's got no level up system. I'm skeptical about Paper Jam being worse than Sticker Star too. Anyway, let's not derail the thread to talk about game quality.

@DRB Yea, you made good points on explaining that

I can understand how Constellations are generally considered to be High 4-C since it might be related to the gap between the low end and the high end of the AP.

"....see Avengers: Infinity War tomorrow (Yay!) with my job right after."

Cool, I'm about to see the Avengers: Infinity War tomorrow too (XD) and the best part about this Saturday is that my birthday will be on that date as well.

So base characters are going to be Large Star level (Although I think Bowser has a Solar System feat in one of the party games, but don't quote me on that), and those who use Power Stars are Solar System to Galaxy level.

What about speed? Will that be affected in any significant ways?

Dust Collector said:
So base characters are going to be Large Star level (Although I think Bowser has a Solar System feat in one of the party games, but don't quote me on that), and those who use Power Stars are Solar System to Galaxy level.
Actually, me and DRB will discuss about 3-C Star Children (base power).

However, he told me to wait and see how the revision goes. And i agree with that. But you are right anyway.

Dust Collector said:
Massively Hypersonic with at least Sub-Relativistic combat speed and reactions or at least Sub-Relativistic is for the normal characters unless the black hole escape pull from Party and Inside Bowser are considered, the Galaxy ones are Massively FTL+, which is the higher end.

Dark649 said:
Dust Collector said:
Massively Hypersonic with at least Sub-Relativistic combat speed and reactions or at least Sub-Relativistic is for the normal characters unless the black hole escape pull from Party and Inside Bowser are considered, the Galaxy ones are Massively FTL+, which is the higher end.
I think the ones who can be empowered by the Power Stars get a MFTL+ rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back