• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestions for improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot that we already have thread that is almost for this type of thing. It could simply be somewhat expanded in purpose: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/66507

Arrogant Schmuck said:
Is it possible to make it so that we receive notifications whenever someone replies to a blog of ours?
00000follow
I'm 75% sure clicking the "follow" button, does that.
(In case you have trouble with the toolbar this might help)

I'm not sure if this isthe right place to put this, but oh well.

The Profile Creation Thread is in need of serious overhaul. It's swamped by random requests and ideas, without any sort of formatting, or any rhyme or reason really. Most of the time it just equates to I want X character from X franchise and I think they're X tier without any sort of elaboration, reasoning, or scans. It doesn't work at all in it's current state in my opinion.

Arrogant Schmuck said:
Naturally you're automatically following your own blog, right? Yet I don't get notifications when someone replies. Never have.
Really? I always get E-mails like these:
00000e-mail

In that case there is probably no way to do that.

So it is best to use e-mails to keep track of stuff.

E-Mail notifications are not a realistic solution if you follow several thousand pages, as I do, only if you follow a select few, and are fine with getting a swamped inbox.

As for the profiles creation request thread, perhaps this feature should be shut down, as nobody will create profiles for franchises that they are not interested in and know nearly nothing about anyway? Feel free to start a thread in the staff discussion forum about this issue.

I see most of the regular members are complaining about how it took so long for a concluded matches to be added. Maybe we needs more content Mods or something. Just my suggestion btw.

I am working on more content moderators, but these things take time, and I cannot force the staff to focus constant time and energy on one of their least important tasks. It is even stated at the start of the request thread in question.

Profile Review Request Thread

For when someone creates a rough draft of a character's profile either as a blog or in their sandbox and would like staff or just knowledgable members' input before they legitimately publish it.

That could be a good idea, yes, but I am too tired and overworked to create one at the moment.

You can start a thread in the staff forum where you write it as a suggestion though.

I thought about a more organized way to manage the Request Threads: The one who does a calculation, evaluates a calculation or renders an image should give a Kudo to a request in order to say to others persons that he is doing the service requested. This way, the others members of the Calculation Group and Image Helpers won't waste their time doing a request that is going to be done and they will be able to distinguish more easily what request hasn't been taken into account.

For example, a member ask for an evaluation of a calculation. By giving a Kudo to this request, everyone can see who has evaluated the request and take another request that has no (or only one) Kudos.

Well, calculations recurrently need several evaluations to be more reliable to use.

Maybe. I am not sure. You can start a staff thread for further input.

I'm interested in the idea of implementing navboxes on this wiki. For how they'd look, click here. For how they'd look on a page, click here.

I think they're nice, a lot of wikis use them, and it would really benefit this one. More of looking for opinions on how they look rather than immediate approval.

I'm not a huge fan of them for our wiki with the way its laid out, since we have verse pages which provide those links between pages as well as providing other relevant info.

I get what you're saying, but I think verse pages are a bit unwieldy for navigation. I mean, just take Real Life as an example. What an enormous chunk of a page. I tried to fix it up by breaking it into subheaders for easier editing, which works to an extent (it's much easier to add animals now, since there's a separate edit button for each subsection, excluding inverts, which are so numerous that they have subsubsections). With navboxes, you just scroll to the bottom of whatever page you happen to be viewing, and click on the related pages in the verse, including the verse page.

Plus, they're even better for pages with no verse page at all, like Injustice, or pages with subverses, like MS Paint Adventures (Problem Sleuth / Homestuck).

Damage already proposed an idea for navbox before, but it's on an indefinite hold.

I am also personally strongly opposed to them, as they would require an enormous amount of edits to apply and regularly update (which would also ignificantly increase my edit-patrolling workload), and recurrently get filled with hundreds of profile links, which is not practical. Not to mention that our verse categories and verse pages already handle this function, so it would be redundant and not add anything of value to the wiki.

Now that the forum has been completed I would like to bring back my proposal for introducing Navboxes to the wiki (for the sake of easing navigation between pages).

My suggestions is that these are not mandatory and do not need to be added to the standard profile layout.

Navboxes will be consistent in design and appearance - and will be locked by default after being created meaning that constant editing of the navboxes does not need to be patrolled which should lower staff workload. To edit the Navboxes users would simply have to put in a request on the all-purpose request thread.

Examples of navbox appearances can be found here, and here, and here.

I'm not saying this needs to be accepted immediately and for navboxes to start being allowed straight away, but I would prefer this to be accepted for a future date when site-wide changes permissable.

Meh, I like verse pages over navboxes.

Navboxes will be consistent in design and appearance - and will be locked by default after being created meaning that constant editing of the navboxes does not need to be patrolled which should lower staff workload. To edit the Navboxes users would simply have to put in a request on the all-purpose request thread.

I may just not be understanding things, but wouldn't this be more staff workload? Imagine if every verse page was locked by default, and every user had to submit a request whenever they wanted to change something on them. That sounds way worse.

But then again, I'm not staff, I can only imagine how it'd affect things.

@Agnaa; the naboxes are not intended to replace verse pages. Simply offer another path of navigation.

Navboxes would only need to be edited whenever a character's page is added or deleted. For some verses this would be a very rare occurence.

EDIT: Again though, I want to stress that I am not advocating we just dive into doing these. I am fine to wait a few months or longer, after a lot of the current site-wide revision projects have been finished, before this gets implemented.

Last edited:
And I think since they're not replacing, their function is duplicated.

For quite a few verses, character's pages being added or deleted is a frequent occurrence. Multiplied by how many verses are on the site, and it becomes pretty annoying.

I just fail to see how "We won't need to patrol pages, we'll just have people ask to unlock pages!" would actually reduce staff burden. If it did, why not suggest locking every page on the wiki? It seems to me like we leave so many pages unlocked since having random people edit them to be patrolled later is less of a staff burden than having people request unlocks for every edit. The pages we have locked are because we deem them as having a high risk of malicious edits, making patrolling no longer worthwhile. And I don't personally imagine every random infobox as having a high risk of malicious edits.

To clarify, this particular "locking vs patrolling" point isn't against the idea of navboxes as a whole, it's just a really weird sticking point of your suggested implementation that I don't understand.

@Agnaa; that part of my suggestion was just to help reduce staff workload. If that won't actually reduce staff workload then obviously we wouldn't do that.

I agree with Agnaa. We already have verse pages and verse categories for this purpose, and the navboxes would constantly have to be updated whenever character pages are added or renamed, so this is a big resolute no from me. My apologies.

Ah well. I tried. Do know that I'm suggesting it in the hopes of improving the wiki. The sheer size of the wiki seems to make even basic optional features unfeasible.

For the record I don't think they're far worse, but I do like verse pages better, so adding navboxes doesn't seem to cover anything we don't already have covered.

Yes, we have to be very careful about not making extremely time-consuming and maintenance-demanding revisions that are of no actual benefit for us.

I am gonna bring back my old massage than. The move was merciless to it.

Perhaps we can create a page for work in progress pages? It would be like Knowledgeble Members page, but instead with verses and with people working on them. For example:

Verse A (User A working)

Verse B (User B working)
  • User C (working on Character D and Character Z pages)
That way it would be easier to cooperate or to confirm that what you're working on won't go to waste, by adding your name.

Second suggestion is to add link to the tag of the "x" verse in the bottom of said "x" verse. Similar to our old system. For example:

Cthulhu Mythos
Forum discussions

And maybe the same for character pages.

Although I wasn't really active since this new forum is a bit confusing to me, so I'm sorry if these ideas are already implemented/approved and I'm just wasting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back