• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestions for improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a good idea in theory, but somebody in the staff has to write it, and I am very tired and unfocused nowadays.

i guess i could do it but im fairly busy with real life and it is now starting to get harder to juggle my real life work with my admin work and so far the best i have been doing lately is looking after edits and comments

The idea is sound, but the execution will have to wait for a while.

This falls in the category of stuff that I can not implement, but I have a suggestion:

I noticed when reading through a help page that it is possible to define a standard layout so that if someone creates a page he will be asked if he wants to start with the Standard Layout or with a blank page.

Since 85% of our pages are character profiles and have to follow the Standard Format for Character profiles, I thought it might be a good idea to implement the Standard Format for character profiles as Standard Layout for pages (without the explanation of course).

That would not only make creating character profiles more confortable, but also makes it easier for new users to create pages with proper formating (which would in turn mean that staff members have to clean up such pages less often).

This thread~ Holy crude~ xD

Hmm. I think what DT said is reasonable. And the last parts he explained makes it a lot better for all of us (and even regular users of the site) to not have to clean pages up often, yeah. *Nod*

I also think that this seems like an excellent idea.

So, do you wish to write the layout page, based on the current standard format for character profiles, DontTalk?

Well, the layout itself would simply be

==Summary==

==Powers and Stats==

'''[[Tiering System|Tier]]:'''

'''Name:'''

'''Origin:'''

'''Gender:'''

'''Age:'''

'''Classification:'''

'''Powers and Abilities:'''

'''[[Attack Potency]]:'''

'''[[Speed]]:'''

'''[[Lifting Strength]]:'''

'''[[Striking Strength]]:'''

'''[[Durability]]:'''

'''[[Stamina]]:'''

'''[[Range]]:'''

'''Standard Equipment:'''

'''[[Intelligence]]:'''

'''Weaknesses:'''

'''[[Feats]]:'''

'''Notable Attacks/Techniques:'''

'''Key:'''

'''Note:'''

==Gallery==

==Others==

'''Notable Victories:'''

'''Notable Losses:'''

'''Inconclusive Matches:'''

I suppose.

But that is really all I can help with implementation wise. It is a bit of a bold suggestion, as I neither know how to do it nor how much work it would require.

Okay. Perhaps it would be best if you placed this suggestion as a thread on the staff board? That way you can ask if somebody has the interest, and necessary know-how.

Since I noticed this page come up, I would like a notification when people try to create vs pages if this is possible. by this I mean like someone attempts to create a thread about goku vs superman and when they attempt to submit it, it gives that notification that reads like "We're sorry, but this vs thread has fallen under 'controversal topics' due to the keywords 'goku' and 'superman' in the same context. Please choose one of the following buttons." I would like buttons that possibly say 'rules on controversal topics,' 'notify staff for questions,' 'resume editing,' and 'cancel.' This would most likely help staff having to close controversal topics so they don't have to find them and close them as often, making it fun for everyone. This could also help close fights that are High 1-A and 0 fights, though for a different reason (obviously) than above, but using keywords to help filter the threads.

I doubt this is fully possible, @Battlemania

Yeah, I know it might not, but it seems like a good idea to have some sort of key word finder to go through before they fully publish. If not there's always the good o'le fashion way.

@Fakeusername This would take an enormous amount of time and effort that we do not have, and also not give us any notable worthwhile improvements to the wiki.

@Battlemania I do not know how to do that, and think that only Wikia's programming division have the access to create such a feature.

Well, since that can't happen I want to propose something smaller and simple, yet similar- create a controversal page and add it to the "Welcome to Vs Battle Wiki" intro we give to newcomers or under "useful." Sure, it may be mentioned briefly in one page, but I think it deserves a notable page on its own, explaining what it means and giving a list of controversal characters (or series in of itself) and matchups.

Well, that is more reasonable, but it is very hard to precisely define such a thing, and I am already overworked as it is, along with not being informed enough about the topic to write it.

As such, we have left it up to individual judgement regarding matchups that can easily get out of hand.

I don't know if there is currently way to do so, but if not I would like to suggest adding the option to bookmark a page in a way that informs you about threads created about that page. Then you get a notification everytime someone opens a discussion listing that page as a tag. Klicking this notification would obviously lead to the thread in question.

This would make it easy to keep track of what is happening on the wiki concerning characters you are interested in.

This way you will get informed about vs-matchups, which will raise the completion rate of vs-threads. From my experience I can say that the completion rate of vs-threads, especially smaller franchises, is quite low (unless the creator keeps bumping for days). The reason for this is most likely because most users don't regularly check all the pages they are interested in. I do so, but it costs a lot of time.

It will also inform everyone interested about content revisions. This way the revisions can receive more input without having to be highlighted.

There is no way for regular wiki staff to enable such a feature, sorry.

What do people think about having something like a "Opponent request thread"?

When I make a new profile or stumble across an interesting character I usually want to try them out in a vs-thread, but finding a good match is often difficult.

If other people have similar problems having a thread where one can ask the community for ideas could be nice.

I suppose that could be an idea, but we would have to say in the first post that the thread should not be used for discussions, just for quick suggestions, and then whoever made the request could simply say if he/she accepts it.

However, such threads could get swamped with posts very quickly, so it would be extra work for me to constantly restart them.

Hmmm... what if we don't do it as an wiki management thread?

Since what is going on in the thread doesn't affect the profiles, I think moderation wouldn't strictly be necessary.

If I just make a thread like that in the general discussion it can be user managed, the same way debate threads for different verses and the "the strongest for every tier"-threads are. That way it wouldn't add to your workload.

Well, the problem is that an official thread for this would turn very chaotic and swamped with posts, but you could always start a thread to get help for you personally in the questions and answers forum.

Never mind. I was in a hurry and did not read properly. I suppose that you could make an attempt with an unofficial thread in the general forum. Regular members would eventually have to restart it though.

Would it be possible to have a "Staff Request thread"? In essence, it would be a thread where staff who need help with revisions or simply want to get more people involved with revising a verse would be able to ask normal users to help with said revisions, which I believe would not only help the staff, but also give members who want to do more with the wiki a easier way to assist them. Of course, I can understand if this is too hard to implement or not feasible, but I believe it has some value at least.

I suppose that it might be an idea, but it is probably best to start a thread in the staff forum to discuss the issue first.

I have a suggestion that's been on my mind pretty much since I arrived on this Wiki but it'd be nigh-impossible to actually accomplish

I think that would likely be too taxing for the staff to constantly deal with ontop of everything else, and regular members are free to correct that sort of thing on their own.

Okay. Well, I suppose that might be an idea.

I am just tired in general, so I might need some help to write the text for such a thread.

It also depends on if the rest of the staff are willing to deal with it.

I will create a staff thread about the issue.

Phoenix821 said:
I meant for pages that are locked beacause I never know where to report them but alright.
Maybe something like that could be put on the talk pages, and when a staff member goes to edit that profile for other reasons, they could check there for any minor spelling/grammar errors to correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back