• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
My top characters are as follow.

1. God (dude is obviously far stronger than Saitama)

2. Saitama (post garou fight)
(he is obviously going to get much stronger with his active evolution shit)

3. Garou (Its obvious)

4. Blast (I think he will be far stronger later on and move up a tier, but as of now, the power he showed is below Garou at his peak)

5,6,7 (Blast teammates)

8. Tatsumaki

9. Psykorochi

10. Boros

I don’t have any problem putting Boros below Tats and psykos, and the only reason I put Boros above orochi is to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the saitama that fought orochi would have beating boros just as effortlessly. He isn’t a measurement stick anymore.

I doubt that he actually went through the portal tbh. I feel like the sequence was meant to show that Saitama is so fast that you can't escape him with portals. So fast that he's already where Garou teleports to.

Guess we'll see in the translation.

Oh no Saitamabros his dick is small
1658330899539657.jpg
Don't worry. He can just will it to grow bigger.

I tried to tell people Saitama could get stronger and when he said he couldn't get stronger he was referring to learning things from battle. 😌
Chances are the translation is simply going to confirm Saitama indeed couldn't get stronger without fighting someone that could push him.

3. Garou (Its obvious)

4. Blast (I think he will be far stronger later on and move up a tier, but as of now, the power he showed is below Garou at his peak)

5,6,7 (Blast teammates)

8. Tatsumaki

9. Psykorochi

10. Boros

I don’t have any problem putting Boros below Tats and psykos, and the only reason I put Boros above orochi is to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the saitama that fought orochi would have beating boros just as effortlessly. He isn’t a measurement stick anymore.
Mid list, no WDM?!?!

3. Garou (Its obvious)

5,6,7 (Blast teammates)

8. Tatsumaki

9. Psykorochi

10. Boros

Based list, but no Speed-o’-Sound Sonic, so it is objectively incorrect

That Nuclear Fission blast he last gave is almost 3x bigger than Earth
Eh, the perspective in that panel might screw this up. Like, when Garou jumped away from Jupiter, he covered a distance at least equal to its diameter, so it wouldn't be a side-by-side comparison between the explosion and Jupiter.

Actually, pretty sure Garou did a supernova punch
supernova-explosion-space-illustration-supernova-explosion-space-155312782.jpg

And going by the fact it didn't destroy the solar system (or seemingly even Jupiter), it's pretty much confirmed the Gamma Ray Burst wasn't intended to be as strong as the naturally-occuring ones.

Absolute shit take.

Saitama and OPM have battle-shonen/parody as its skin, but it's also about exploring society, human nature, and the nature of civic duty/heroism. The parody aspect only relates to the idea of escalation and the deflating of serious situations into something much less so. The whole purpose behind the gag is to highlight the importance of everything beyond just the flashy and showy battles or the fake tension-buildup of wondering if the hero will "win". Spoilers: The heroes always win in shonen, barring a very few exceptions. Saitama's power is meant to expose that, which means that making him ACTUALLY have difficulty in a fight or becoming beatable in his own series would be completely antithetical to the entire shonen-gag.

Saitama's power is a plot device, not his character. From chapter 2 we've seen that he's someone that has achieved unbeatable power and now lacks challenge, while barely surviving and subsisting in modern society. The themes are severalfold: lack of fulfillment in life, lack of social safety nets, lack of community, and the lack of recognition by society of peoples' worth and hard work. The webcomic barely explores these aspects even though ONE explores similar or parallel themes in Mob Psycho, which is likely why he wants to bring that more into focus in OPM. That's not even covering the idea of heroism and the moral shades of gray between being a "good person" and doing good things. Good people are not flawless, and Garou is the most extreme personification of only looking at the worst in people. Saitama isn't perfect, but we see multiple times throughout the series of his character and actions being for the greater good; yet, as he says in the earlier chapters, they seem to have almost no effect on the growing evils of the world.

None of this is "generic" or "pointless." Clearly, the story ONE is trying to tell through the manga has flown over your head despite your surface level complaints about it. You can argue about execution, such as the spectacle of the battles taking away from the theme, but the MA arc diverted almost solely because ONE wanted to expand on these issues and flesh out future arcs. Your complaints read like a mask of saltiness about Saitama being stronger than you wanted, rather than genuine complaints about the story.

No, I'm simply engaging you with the exact same logic you applied. It certainly isn't relevant but you're the one that brought things up that way.
I understand that these layers still exist in OPM, we are not talking about those layers. We are talking about the biggest layer, saitama’s relationship to the shonen power creep and his relationship to self insert OP hax characters. Take the time to understand my perspective.

Saitama could be tier 1 for all I care. That’s not the point. The initial idea of flipping the shonen power creep on its head could be applied to any character and it would make very interesting stories because the main character is not the focus of the story. And because you don’t know if any of the side characters are going to catch up or not or if the next villain is going to be the one to give the main character a scratch or not.

It is a new format for story telling. It WAS ******* genius.

All you have is a character just stronger than everyone else with no grander purpose, with no idea in mind to take it one step deeper. All you have is +1 hax you are not making the reader think, you are not making the reader engaged and you are not making the reader interested. You are just serving the reader what they want and expected. You are not taking them on a journey to explore new ideas. It is One dimensional.

I CANT UNDERSTAND SHIT WHAT DID HAPPEN THIS CHAPTER, SAITAMA GOT BACK IN TIME????????????????????????????!!!??? JUPITER GOT DESTROYED?

so, actually garou didnt match saitama and saitama is not limited to his tier, the "likely far higher" will keep on saitama profile, HELL YEAH!

Thank god for the control+F function of the firefox browser. It really makes it easier to search for translations without having to suffer spoilers.

No, I'm simply engaging you with the exact same logic you applied. It certainly isn't relevant but you're the one that brought things up that way.
That is not the logic I introduced at all. Try to understand my points better. How did you even come to that conclusion?

3. Garou (Its obvious)

5,6,7 (Blast teammates)

8. Tatsumaki

9. Psykorochi

10. Boros

boros being on this list is already impressive, you dont have to justify this lol he sucks

I understand that these layers still exist in OPM, we are not talking about those layers. We are talking about the biggest layer, saitama’s relationship to the shonen power creep and his relationship to self insert OP hax characters. Take the time to understand my perspective.

Saitama could be tier 1 for all I care. That’s not the point. The initial idea of flipping the shonen power creep on its head could be applied to any character and it would make very interesting stories because the main character is not the focus of the story. And because you don’t know if any of the side characters are going to catch up or not or if the next villain is going to be the one to give the main character a scratch or not.

It is a new format for story telling. It WAS ******* genius.

All you have is a character just stronger than everyone else with no grander purpose, with no idea in mind to take it one step deeper. All you have is +1 hax you are not making the reader think, you are not making the reader engaged and you are not making the reader interested. You are just serving the reader what they want and expected. You are not taking them on a journey to explore new ideas. It is One dimensional.
So what you're complaining about is that they revealed he IS limitless and growing? And that takes away from the "mystery" of how strong he is, therefore now we have no reason to think he can ever be beaten? What you're essentially claiming is that the gag only matters because people want to see Saitama lose or get challenged for real, yes?

Because that only became an "issue" due to Saitama's internal struggle and desire for a challenge. He has been looking in the wrong direction for fulfillment this entire time. The whole point of ONE's development and characterization in the manga is to take Saitama away from that mindset, and by extension, the readers. The pursuit of challenge for meaning in his life is a toxic idea that only keeps him depressed, just like how readers constantly wanting him to find a "challenge" is pointless and adds absolutely nothing to the story. All it is is a cheap thrill. If Saitama truly gets limited by ONE so that he can be "challenged" and potentially defeated, that goes in the face of everything he's built up thus far.

EDIT: And your complaint only applies due to the graph pages in this chapter. If those were taken out, would you still say the same? Or would you complain that Garou couldn't beat Saitama?

So what you're complaining about is that they revealed he IS limitless and growing? And that takes away from the "mystery" of how strong he is, therefore now we have no reason to think he can ever be beaten? What you're essentially claiming is that the gag only matters because people want to see Saitama lose or get challenged for real, yes?

Because that only became an "issue" because of Saitama's internal struggle and desire for a challenge. He has been looking in the wrong direction for fulfillment this entire time. The whole point of ONE's development and characterization in the manga is to take Saitama away from that mindset, and by extension, the readers. The pursuit of challenge for meaning in his life is a toxic idea that only keeps him depressed, just like how readers constantly wanting him to find a "challenge" is pointless and adds absolutely nothing to the story. All it is is a cheap thrill. If Saitama truly gets limited by ONE so that he can be "challenged" and potentially defeated, that goes in the face of everything he's built up thus far.
You are strawmanning me, constantly misunderstanding my points and arguing against points I never even made a stand against.

Reiterate what you think my stance is in the most generous way possible.

Back