• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Stricter References Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you write a list of all the staff members who have helped out in this thread previously, so I can summon them again, please?

Thank you. I will try with the staff members who are already active in this thread.

Not sure how I can help other than saying Agnaa's suggestions look fine, as long as the References aren't made overtly complicated.

add that the explanation can be added in the edit summary, otherwise people won't know where to

If we're adding in where the explanation could be given, I'd also mention it could be done in response to asking someone about it. Addition has been bolded for emphasis...
New pages without that section may be deleted after ample warning if no adequate justification (such as the series lacking any useful demarcations, or none of the justifications on the page coming from only one specific part of the source material) is provided in the edit summary or in response to inquiry, and no indication that they will be added is given."

Thank you for the replies everybody.

So for how long should we preferably wait for further responses before we apply this rule?

Since people have been pinged, I'd be happy to wait as long as 4 days if there's no further objections.

oh yeah what would you do for web shows such as BFDI in regards of referencing
Most Epithet Erased pages have references.

At minimum, you could just cite the episode/video by number/name, as one would with other series. But on top of that, you can link to specific spots in the videos to make the references even more convenient for readers.

New pages without that section may be deleted after ample warning if no adequate justification (such as the series lacking any useful demarcations, or none of the justifications on the page coming from only one specific part of the source material) is provided in the edit summary or in response to inquiry, and no indication that they will be added is given."

As I said before I think references are extremely important, and Agnaa's draft seems very reasonable in enforcing them while allowing some wiggle room for potential confusion.

So which members have agreed with what so far here?

Okay. I think that can be applied then.

Are you willing to handle it please?

Thank you. Damage locked the page earlier.

Is there anything left to do here, or should we close this thread?

The only thing I can think of is that we may want an announcement thread about this rule change.

We already have a highlighted thread shown in our forum's front page for this purpose:

However, I suppose that it would likely be a good idea if you create an updated references announcement thread, after which I replace the old highlight with the new thread instead.

Just make sure to read the previous announcement message for this purpose first please.

Would it be fine to mostly copy/paste that one, just replacing the paragraph about how pages without references aren't going to be deleted with:

New pages generally will be. While there will be some exceptions; if a profile is for a single movie there's no way to further separate those references without timestamps which can be inconsistent between releases. If a profile is for a character from a single video game who can perform the same feats in every level, it wouldn't make sense to cite one level over another. If an exception like this applies, please say so in an edit summary when first creating the page.

If a page doesn't include references, a staff member may ask you to add them or provide an exception. If you don't explain why references wouldn't be useful, or show that you're working on adding them, the page may be deleted.

Old pages without references will not be deleted, but help in gradually adding them would be appreciated.

We already have a highlighted thread shown in our forum's front page for this purpose:

However, I suppose that it would likely be a good idea if you create an updated references announcement thread, after which I replace the old highlight with the new thread instead.

Just make sure to read the previous announcement message for this purpose first please.
Would it be fine to mostly copy/paste that one, just replacing the paragraph about how pages without references aren't going to be deleted with:

New pages generally will be. While there will be some exceptions; if a profile is for a single movie there's no way to further separate those references without timestamps which can be inconsistent between releases. If a profile is for a character from a single video game who can perform the same feats in every level, it wouldn't make sense to cite one level over another. If an exception like this applies, please say so in an edit summary when first creating the page.

If a page doesn't include references, a staff member may ask you to add them or provide an exception. If you don't explain why references wouldn't be useful, or show that you're working on adding them, the page may be deleted.

Old pages without references will not be deleted, but help in gradually adding them would be appreciated.
I personally do not mind.

@AKM sama @Damage3245 @Confluctor @LordGriffin1000 @Armorchompy @KLOL506 @LordTracer @Elizhaa @Bobsican @DontTalkDT

What do you think?

Seems fine. I personally see no issue with referencing the movie name over and over again given that timestamps tend to be inconsistent between releases, and with games where one can perform the same feat in every level (Mostly involving equipment and whatnot), just the name of the game should be enough, aye. If it's done in a mission, just name the game and the mission, I don't see the need to overtly complicate things beyond this.

TV series? Just name the episode. We don't need to be including timestamps for literally everything.

Thank you for the replies. You can probably create the thread then Agnaa, unless you prefer to wait for more input first.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for helping out. You are also awesome. However, which renaming procedure do you use?

Okay. That is good then, as it is what I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back