• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Stricter References Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are thinking a little too much about it. For movies and short games, the name of it should suffice. It's unrealistic of us to add, say, time stamps to every feat.
Plus not all timestamps are gonna be consistent given that extended cuts or deleted scenes could exist.

Anyway, for movies, their names should suffice. If games don't have mission names or episode names, then just the main one should cover it.

Also for books and novels, the name of the book plus chapter should be fine. Yes, chapters are long, but page numbers aren't a good practice imo as it changes heavily from edition to edition.
Exactly my thought. Chapter Numbers/Names are a hell of a lot more reliable than inputting the page numbers and saves an awful lot of time in the long run given that multiple editions in multiple languages may exist at any given time.

For characters like that, I think you could just list the movie in the references section.
Where do I put it? Summary, Power and Abilities, Attack Potency or somewhere else?

I asked if I have to do this multiple times. For every single mention of anything do I have to leave a reference to the movie? Or do I just need to make one reference somewhere?

Where do I put it? Summary, Power and Abilities, Attack Potency or somewhere else?

Also I asked if I have to do this multiple times? For every single mention do I have to leave a reference to the movie? Or do I just need to make one reference somewhere?
In the references section, and you’d only have to list it once.

Take this profile for example. Everything on it came from the same source, so the reference is only listed once.

Is that allowed? I'm not seeing such a thing mentioned in the references page or standard format for character profiles page. I admit I could just not be noticing it.

I thought references have to "link" to some part of the page?

Also the references page advises to put down the year of release as well. And what does "[Any notable events around the time of the feat, if possible]." mean exactly?

Is this alright?

Is that allowed? I'm not seeing such a thing mentioned in the references page or standard format for character profiles page. I admit I could just not be noticing it.

Also the references page advises to put down the year of release as well. And what does "[Any notable events around the time of the feat, if possible]." mean exactly?

Is this alright?
You don't need to go fully overboard with the date of release, just list the year it came out in, that should be enough.

There's only one reference though.

==References==
*Name

I thought that was good for a single reference? This is still wrong? I need to use {{scroll box|content={{reflist|2}}}} now? How do I use that?

I feel like the references pages and character format pages does a good enough job at explaining how to use them for large pages with multiple references. My issue is with the shorter pages that have a single or at most two references.

No, that is fine.

You can go all Harvard style on it if you want, but usually the year should cover it. And sometimes even that's not needed if the film has a unique-ish name.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed, it’s still listing the source that the profile’s content comes from.

If there’s multiple sources, yeah, but if the page gets all its information from one source, there’s no reason why the references have to link to anything.

There's only one reference though.

==References==
*Name

I thought that was good for a single reference? This is still wrong? I need to use {{scroll box|content={{reflist|2}}}} now? How do I use that?

I feel like the references pages and character format pages does a good enough job at explaining how to use them for large pages with multiple references. My issue is with the shorter pages that have a single or at most two references.
We do it like this...

==References==
{{scroll box|content={{reflist|2}}}}

Saves time later.

For movies/tv series you still could go like:
Movie X: Min 12.33-14.33

Tv series: Season 1 Episode 6 Min 45.33-45.47
Ex: David Haller (FX)
You could, and it's perfectly fine to do so, but you don't need to go that in-depth, even established game wikis and anime wikis don't take it that far to get timestamps, cut of the movies may vary.

You could, and it's perfectly fine to do so, but you don't need to go that in-depth, even established game wikis and anime wikis don't take it that far to get timestamps, cut of the movies may vary.
Especially considering the fact that total time of movie and television series can be affected by several reasons such as censorhsip.

I mean all cartoons are public domain and on YouTube, no? I link to them directly

Of the 13 new character pages since June 26th started, according to the wiki's timer, 9 of those pages included references

Not that I'm objecting to this proposal, but this is a very small sample size to be taking a look at.

In theory I obviously agree with that this is much preferable. I am just worried about that it isn't realistic to apply in practice if we start to systematically delete new pages that are otherwise fine with the statistics strictly based on calculations. At the very least we need to consistently inform the members whose pages we delete and save the relevant page contents to sandboxes.

In theory I obviously agree with that this is much preferable. I am just worried about that it isn't realistic to apply in practice if we start to systematically delete new pages that are otherwise fine with the statistics strictly based on calculations. At the very least we need to consistently inform the members whose pages we delete and save the relevant page contents to sandboxes.
@DontTalkDT @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @Ultima_Reality @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Andytrenom @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz

What do you think that we should do here?

Yeah that seems reasonable.

I mean isn't this standard protocol for profile deletion anyways?
I don't think that is a standard protocol, no. We just try to remember to do it out of courtecy when the deleted pages were not of dumpster-level quality.

I mean, I think it should be protocol for decent pages then lol, since instructing uninformed users and letting them access their deleted page should be done for them to improve their filemaking. If anything that'd stop the lackluster mass-deletions people propose out of the blue.

And I just feel we've given like, months to people, to fix up their things and do references. At this point I think it's kind of ridiculous not to compulsate it.

Last edited:
I mean, I think it should be protocol for decent pages then lol, since instructing uninformed users and letting them access their deleted page should be done for them to improve their filemaking. If anything that'd stop the lackluster mass-deletions people propose out of the blue.
I can assure you it won't as a majority of those nuked pages had inactive users attached to them or people who didn't want to revise said pages

I really disagree that References should be this mandatory, ultimately in certain cases they're completely useless, I don't think a page is improved by slapping a "References
All references come from Game (Year)"
at the end. So no, I'm opposed to this.
Not really that useless, no.

Often more than not, modern games will have Mission names so using those to pinpoint feats would no doubt make the job considerably easier.

Case by case, but some games have chapters/missions that could also be used for references but movies for example would be harder given conflictions on how much the timestamp would be.

But newer characters being made should mention a reference section for sure.

Honestly I don't mind the movie timestamp and game level/scenario specifications in the references anymore, if it makes them more viable for those files

Honestly I don't mind the movie timestamp and game level/scenario specifications in the references anymore, if it makes them more viable for those files
Of course, we shouldn't be reprimanding anyone for not including timestamps, since they can be so varied depending on many circumstances so IMHO, usually listing the movie name or the episode name should be more than enough.

Games are a bit easier that they usually have mission names included, but even if that is not possible, just the game name alone will suffice.

Meh I mean, I don't think core movie and episode runtime changes alot. Don't think anyone's gonna be watching with ads anyways.

Timestamps can vary based on "Watching it retro style on VHS or DVD" or modern style if it's LiveStreaming or what ever pirated website they're watching it on.
Levels/Missions/Chapters for video game verse references are fair game though.

Timestamps can vary based on "Watching it retro style on VHS or DVD" or modern style if it's LiveStreaming or what ever pirated website they're watching it on.
I don't think they vary by the minute though, usually seconds, unless you're watching a specific cut (which should be specified anyways)

I don't think they vary by the minute though, usually seconds, unless you're watching a specific cut (which should be specified anyways)
Obviously you need scans and it's not like everyone out there has the approximate timeframe of an episode depending on your local distributor or censorer.

Who out here getting their scans for movies from VHS/DVD and not pirate sites lol

Who out here getting their scans for movies from VHS/DVD and not pirate sites lol
VHS and DVD are still a thing? I thought we went straight to digital and Blu-Ray and the 7 Seas (I mean, isn't that where most people get their 50 GB Blu-Ray rips?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back