• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Steven Universe Issues: Lapis' Tower

I just got here and just "tl;dr"-ed the comments so I'm just going to say the reasons look to be in order and we should probably get a calc up soon.

Tipoima said:
RIP Tier 6 SU, Welcome Tier 8 SU
They're still gonna be Tier 6. The 6-B calcs were accepted awhile back destroying the Red Eye was calculated at a little over 50 Gigatons regardless.

Assaltwaffle said:
@Kink

It wouldn't freeze, it would heat up. Without water, the cloud cover would vanish. Without clouds, the temperature would go up. And that would be a pretty much unquantifiable change in global temperature.
The temperature would be 67 degrees Celsius.

Excuse me if there's anything wrong with the calc, still a little sleepy right now.

A low-ball of the mass of all of Earth's land area (using the density of granite) would be 5.0140544e+22kg. Since we know the average temperature in an oceanless Earth would be 67 degrees Celsius, and that the average temperature of the planet right now is 16 degrees, there would be a change of 51.

Heat capacity of granite is 790 joules per Celsius, so this results in 480 petatons of energy.

However, this is a high-end. A better option (IIRC) would be to calculate the mass of the air affected, find the heat capacity of air on this temperature (which is 1008 kj per Celsius) and get the result. It would be lower than this.

Bumping this. We don't need to forget about these revisions. We still need a calc for Lapis to use.

Edit: Also I know it hasn't been 8 hours, but this isn't a VS match, it is a revision for the entire top tiers of the verse.

Well, your GBE calculation seems good and I thought we agreed that it's what we should use.

Besides, I don't exactly remember if using the mass of the air affected is more accurate than using the mass of the continents or not. If there is no problem, we can use my quick calc above.

No, GBE is unusable. The object needs to be able to stand without breaking under its weight. When Lapis abandoned it, it broke. It isn't usable.

Dark also has an issue with the Malacite Prison in High 6-A, so we are looking sparce for calcs that don't make wild leaps in assumption.

If it's too hard to use GBE or anything else we normally use for the ocean tower, Lapis imprisoning Malachite may be best. It's the most straightforward, and still done by Lapis (technically).

If the water collapsed, yeah, GBE wouldn't be usable.

Heat capacity from turning the planet into a wasteland would be better on that case.

What do you think about it?

Actually I don't understand the "turning the Earth into a wasteland", Lapis only tooks the oceans and then that is whats left: an empty crater. Other thing with the Malachite stuff if that, iirc, Lapis only say that she was using the water of the Earth to stop her, not all the waters at the same time nor that is being crushe with said weight.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
If it's too hard to use GBE or anything else we normally use for the ocean tower, Lapis imprisoning Malachite may be best. It's the most straightforward, and still done by Lapis (technically).
Dark has problems with that one, though. This is harder than we thought.

If she took the oceans, the Earth would turn into a barren desert, and the crust would have a LOT less mass than it does right now.

This would also increase the temperature to 67 degrees Celsius (on average), and thus, it is worthy of a heat capacity calculation. I did a high-end for it and got 480 petatons. The mid-end (using the volume of air instead) would be lower, though.

@Kepekley, is that what happen when, in the hypotetical case, the oceans vanish from Earth? If it is then I don't see why such secundary effects would be scale directly to Lapis. Futhermore, is overtime.

@Antonio

I was also thinking that. If I put a sheet over a window that causes the room to cool down, I don't have the power to directly cool the room, just to put up the sheet.

@Assalt, exactly, we can't rate characters due a chain reaction, even less is if will take a long time.

@Kep

More than two methods aren't usable.

KE from creation via escape velocity: Unusable

KE from creation via assumed timeframe: Assumptive

GBE: Unusable

Ocean's Weight: Likely Unusable

Terraforming: Unusable

The ocean's weight might be usable, actually. Could you link me the feat?

EDIT: However, it'd be for lifting strength...sahrry.

At this rate it would be better to scale to stronger fusuions to the weaker ones, since there's nothing else to calculate.

WeeklyBattles said:
Can we use the KE of the ocean being pulled in from around the world to create the tower?
Kep is correct, that is KE with an assumptive timeframe. Unless the Episode directly shows a time when the ocean begins receding to the time it takes for Steven to get to the tower.

Lapis fled into the ocean at sundown, and by early morning the ocean was gone. Can't we use the amount of time night lasts on the first day of summer to find find a lowball?

Potential energy can't be used. The formula for PE uses acceleration due to gravity, which would be different at 1000+ km, and also assumes the object to be dropped at the same height, not falling at an nigh-quantifiable number of places simultaneously.

Honestly 8 hours would be an OK timeframe. Considering that, it would need to travel, at max, half the circumference of the Earth. 20,037.5 km to be exact. 20037.5/8/60/60 = 0.69574 km/s = 695.74 m/s

0.5*(1.37x10^21)*695.74^2 = 3.316x10^26 joules

I think 12h would be better. The sun sets at 5:30pm and rises at ~5:30am. This would be a timeframe of 12h30m.

Yeah, pretty easy.

But let's note the fact that even 12h is a high-ball, since this is for the South Hemisphere, which tends to have very early sunsets. Pretty sure it's more like 15h in the US.

Anyway:

20037.5km in 43200 seconds is 463.831019m/s.

(0.5)*(1.37e+21kg)*(463.831019)^2 = 1.473703617178062e+26 joules, which is about 35.2223617872 petatons of TNT.

Back