• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Vader Fan Film Thread

Warren_Valion

VS Battles
Retired
Hello.

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but I feel like it should be shared on the wiki. So I'm sorry if I misplaced this.

Anyway...

There is a big Star Wars fan that has made his own short film starring Vader as the main protagonist.

Film.

Thoughts?

Some highlights, for me anyway:

Ice screenshot 20181222-215312
Ice screenshot 20181222-215334

I just glimpsed at the comments, but they seemed positive.

Was my look really that shallow, was there that much hate?

I thought it was generally decent, especially from a fan film, and I have a lot of respect for the guy to make it from his own time, money, and effort.

Warner Chappell are the ones who have rights to manage Star Wars music. They are the ones who claimed the copyright. Disney does not own them at all.

People are really gobbling up this "Disney made a copyright strike on Vader fan film" nonsense so they can add more fuel to the fire burning on the Anti-Disney bandwagon. They don't really care.

And I'm disappointed in Star Wars Theory for not doing research into who it is that is actually getting his nuts in a Force choke. If he had, he'd have realized that Disney had nothing to do with this. He just pandered to the haters and threw all responsibility to the wind with his latest comments. I expected better of him due to comments he made in the past about responsibility.

He could have chosen to be the bigger man. But nope. He just had to pander to the haters.

I guess he doesn't give a damn any more.

Well, un-subscribing and never going back.

Note: I'm not saying that what Warner Chappell did wasn't a shit move. It was a completely shit move. However, it's a shit move that has affected A LOT of Star Wars YouTubers. Throwing responsibility as a popular content creator out the window, pandering to a faction that is hell-bent on spewing vitriol against something they claim to love, and acting like you're the only (or one of the only few) victim(s) is also a shit move.

To be honest, I don't really see the big deal about this. Star Wars Theory wasn't going to make money off of it to start and now he I believe, is. Disney or whomever is doing this is taking ad revenue as well from what I understand (I don't know rrally what is going on though so correct me if I'm wrong)

It's a scumbag move any way you slice it. Disney (and yes, Soldier Blue, it was the Disney Music Group AND Warner Chapell that made the move, one did not act on its own) used a cheap technicality to run ads on an incredible piece of work they had nothing to do with and didn't support (probably because it was better than anything Disney has made for Star Wars in the last three years.)

And I fail to see how Star Wars Theory was "playing the victim," Blue. Not only did Disney claim HIS hard work as their own and run their ads on his production, but they threatened to strike his channel if he dared file an appeal. But not once did he make a call to action, not once did he play the victim, and not once did he even say he was going to do anything about it. He made it clear he didn't care about the money, and he was just happy that we could still view it and that Disney didn't remove it entirely. The fans are the ones who are (rightfully) angry, not him.

Thankfully, Lucasfilm decided to save face and forced them to remove the claim, so that takes care of that problem (so you can stop shilling for Disney now, Soldier Blue.)

It was flagged either by the shitty YouTube Content ID algorithm or some poor sob just doing his damn job for the company.

And, yes, Star Wars Theory's playing victim was uncalled for. He is one of hundreds of channels that faced such claims in the past year from the big music groups (Universal, Warner, Sony, Disney). Several other Star Wars YouTubers also got hit. These include Dash Star, Urban Acolyte (who has been doing a good job addressing the manufactured outrage over this non-issue), even one channel who had uploaded Star Wars videos with no music (YouTube's shitty algorithm struck them). Star Wars Theory seemed to be playing the victim card for the sake of sympathy points. And, as Urban Acolyte and Hello Greedo have noted in the past, he should very well know the risks of using even music remotely close to the original on YouTube, given how crazy the YouTube Content ID algorithm has become in the past few years.

And SWT clearly doesn't give a damn about not jumping on the hate bandwagon now. He specifically acted as though he was being singled out for such treatment. And he specifically ranted in a pinned comment against Disney alone, none of the others named in the claim. Either he didn't bother to do research into the Content ID nonsense of YouTube, or he ignored it all for the sake of sympathy points and jumping on the bandwagon. Either way, it's just irresponsible behaviour from such a popular content creator.

Also, there is a difference between being a shill, and a rational adult who actually bothers to do some research into the matter.

And, as a rational adult, I must question why only Disney is being singled out for hatred when they were among six or seven claimants listed on the Content ID claim. And they don't even have the rights to manage the music which was flagged. Warner/Chappel does. They made the claim. They monetized the video. They threatened to give him a strike.

The trolls are just using this as another excuse to hate on Disney, who just leave Lucasfilm to do their own thing, and whose only role with Lucasfilm is to sign paychecks and distribute their content.

We get it. Disney is not all sunshine and rainbows. They have done some pretty shady shit, such as that one time they tried to sue a day care centre. But they're a ******* business and have done nothing (that I know of) outside of what is legally acceptable. Everyone is acting as though they're persecuting Star Wars Theory on purpose, when they likely weren't directly involved in the Content ID claim to begin with, merely being named on the claim for legal reasons.

And stop it with this "shill" nonsense. Stop putting people in camps. It's immature and silly. I also have issues with Disney and the way they do things. But I also know not to fall prey to manufactured click-bait outrage.

Soldier Blue said:
And stop it with this "shill" nonsense. Stop putting people in camps. It's immature and silly. I also have issues with Disney and the way they do things. But I also know not to fall prey to manufactured click-bait outrage.
^^^^^^^^^^^^This. I think SW has taken a hit since Disney took over in quality, but god damn, some people are so toxic about this.

BruceTheBatman said:
I think SW has taken a hit since Disney took over in quality, but god damn, some people are so toxic about this.
If anyone is to blame for a perceived drop in Star Wars quality after the Disney takeover, it is the Lucasfilm story group alone and nobody else.

As I said above, Lucasfilm does their own thing. Disney's only involvement with them is to sign the salary slips and distribute their content. At best, they'd likely flag content that goes against their core values.

But considering there are a couple of Disney Canon Star Wars novels that have sexual slavery and even an implied gang rape of a Twi'lek woman, I'd say Disney really is uninvolved with Lucasfilm. There is no way Disney would allow that shit to get published if they were hands on.

BruceTheBatman said:
For the record, I like the EU way more than the movies for the most part.
I also like the old EU more than the films. I also like the new EU way more than the current films. Hell, the new EU has some of the best comics and novels (of either continuity).

it's a scumbag move any way you slice it. Disney (and yes, Soldier Blue, it was the Disney Music Group AND Warner Chapell that made the move.

no Disney sold it's licensing rights to Warner Chapell back in 2013, Warner Chapell is exclusively responsible for maintaining those licensing rights, that doesnt mean that Disney cant get involved if it's detriment to itself or hiccup but the company that reports and monetizes the music licensing is exclusively Warner Chapell.

And I fail to see how Star Wars Theory was "playing the victim," Blue. Not only did Disney claim HIS hard work.

This is absolute bullshit, if anything Lucasfilm and Star Wars are doing the hard work not him, his entire film is based off of pre-established characters, settings, iconic imagery, and the star wars brand name each one of these things that would inherently make his video more popular, If you genuinely think his Vader film is popular because of his untapped Writing Talent that surpasses those at Lucasfilm then i dare you to prove to me that Star Wars Theories videos would be able to stand on their own with his own original characters, setting, music, imagery and so on and So.

If anything Star Wars theory owes his entire career to Lucasfilm as his benefitting off of their brand name, the fact that Lucasfilm even allows a lot of these things despite being owned by a multi-billion dollar company should be celebrated, if they really wanted to, Lucasfilm could monetize literally every single one of his videos that have pieces of video or stuff that isn't a theory as his videos Objectively don't fall in the fair use category, Lucasfilm is one of the only companies that celebrate and don't Monetize Fanfilms. you realize that fan films are not universally legal or protected by fair use or demonization right?, you do know a company can legally ban fan films? (Look at What happened to Star Trek), Star Wars theory brings in a lot of traffic that not only increases his monetization but allows people to buy his merchandise (which is actually illegal) and yet Lucasfilm allows this, and yet you want me to believe that the FANS have every RIGHT to this and that and LUCASFILM is the big bad. Lucasfilm and Disney are literally providing people with an income and a career solely based on their IP when they legally don't need to.

Shadowbokunohero said:
Star Wars theory brings in a lot of traffic that not only increases his monetization but allows people to buy his merchandise (which is actually illegal)
I've been wondering about this for a while. If SWT has no permission from or deal with Lucasfilm & Disney to use their content on his merchandise, they have every right to send him a legal notice telling him to either stop or split the net profits with them.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened yet.

My ass Disney is persecuting SWT. All this time they could have just pointed to his merchandise and used that as a reason to go after him. But he's thriving. And keep in mind that Disney once wanted to sue a day care centre for using their cartoons. A for-profit private day care centre, yes. But still a day care centre.

and yet Lucasfilm allows this, and yet you want me to believe that the FANS have every RIGHT to this and that and LUCASFILM is the big bad. Lucasfilm and Disney are literally providing people with an income and a career solely based on their IP when they legally don't need to.

Hellsing-Alucard-Clapping-Anime-Gif

Shadowbokunohero said:
Benandi said:
(probably because it was better than anything Disney has made for Star Wars in the last three years.)
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Don't really think I should have to explain the fact that "hmm" in all-caps isn't exactly an adequate response. And yeah, I fully stand by my opinion. I gain no enjoyment whatsoever from watching TLJ, TFA, Solo, etc. nor do many fans, but I do gain enjoyment from watching Shards of the Past. So, in my opinion, it's better. To each their own.

And that was a really nice, silly rant about how SWT apparently doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever for the project because he used characters\settings from pre-existing content. What nonsense. So, the fact that he created a YouTube video with special effects almost as good as most modern movies, wrote more of an engaging storyline in 11 minutes than TLJ could in over 2 hours, and did it all with a tiny and untrained team means absolutely nothing because he used a pre-existing concept to do so? Hilarity, plain and simple.

Now, then, soldier blue, perhaps I was a bit hasty in calling you a shill; this is a pretty devisive topic (shocking, I know) and many people come across as shills when they defend the big corporations by attacking the injured party. (And the "toxicity" you mentioned goes both ways, believe me.)

Your main complaint now seems to be that this happens to numerous people, and that SWT only called it out\noticed when it happened to him. I suppose it's natural that we tend to take notice of shady behavior more when it affects the popular; it's an unfortunate side effect of the human attention span.

But I don't think this should be happening to ANYONE. If you're saying that people like SWT need to call out this behavior whenever it happens, I agree. But if you're actually saying that it doesn't matter when it happens to one person because it happens to others too, I profoundly disagree.

Whether this was Warner Chapell or anyone else, it was a legalistic moneygrab move. And it's kinda a wierd one, too, since the money they'd be making from it is pennies compared to what they make normally. They should've known what a bad PR move this was, and they did it anyway. They have no one to blame but themselves for the backlash.

But again, the matter has at least been resolved, finally. So it's kinda pointless to keep talking about it, I guess. But it's kinda hard to deny that Disney's Lucasfilm has been treating their fans beyond horribly these past few years, so it's unsurprising that they ended up getting flak for this, even if it wasn't their fault this time. They stepped in and told Chapell to remove the copyright to save face, yes, but their company needs to stop blaming the fanbase they chose to cater to every time their movies are negatively received. Otherwise, the toxic devide you talked about is never going to go away.

But, whatever. Conflicts like this are nothing new.

Benandi said:
But it's kinda hard to deny that Disney's Lucasfilm has been treating their fans beyond horribly these past few years
This is a hilarious load of nonsense. The fan awards, the charity drives, the conventions, all the content we're getting, the "Our Star Wars Stories" video series on the Star Wars YouTube channel? Does none of it matter? Is none of that enough?

Disney's Lucasfilm have been listening to the fans and treating the fans well. That's why we are seeing a revival of TCW, that's why we got a Canon Thrawn trilogy, that's why we have those fan awards, that's why we're seeing a flood of prequel-era content in 2019, that's why we're spoiled for choice when it comes to Star Wars content lately (though the Star Wars gaming scene is just poor these days).

Lucasfilm are listening to the relatively less vocal majority who don't make personal attacks against their employees and believe Disney's Lucasfilm owes them some sort of apology. They're not listening to the toxic whiny manbabies. Why should they?

They are listening to the true fans. They're ignoring the trolls.

This content creator - fanbase relationship goes both ways. You expect the content creators to be loyal to the fans? Okay. But should the fanbase also try their best not to be a bunch of toxic whiny manbabies? Yes.

Let's face it. The Star Wars fandom is a mess. And this victim mentality we have is just pathetic.

Do you have any idea how bad our reputation is right now? It's in the sewer. Because of a small but very vocal minority of toxic self-entitled trolls, we're seen as one of the worst fandoms right now.

Lucasfilm have been treating us badly? No. It's the other way around.

>Benandi wrote:

And that was a really nice, silly rant about how SWT apparently doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever for the project because he used characters\settings from pre-existing content. What nonsense. So, the fact that he created a YouTube video with special effects almost as good as most modern movies, wrote more of an engaging storyline in 11 minutes than TLJ could in over 2 hours, and did it all with a tiny and untrained team means absolutely nothing because he used a pre-existing concept to do so? Hilarity, plain and simple.

nice strawman argument never stated he doesn't deserve any credit but stated that the claim that he does all the hardwork is BS because it is objectively Incorrect and can be proven without any bias whatsoever.

wrote more of an engaging storyline in 11 minutes than TLJ could in over 2 hours, and did it all with a tiny and untrained team means absolutely nothing?

Yes because it has no implications on any of my arguments whatsoever, your personal feelings have nothing to do with things that can be proven factually and supported by evidence.

Soldier Blue said:
I also like the old EU more than the films. I also like the new EU way more than the current films. Hell, the new EU has some of the best comics and novels (of either continuity).
I like the old EU the most personally, because it was very interconnected with a lot of call backs, and at it's absolute best it really felt like another world rather than a fantasy setting to me (KOTOR, SWTOR, The Clone Wars Multimedia Project, and others). The new EU is good I think, but it doesn't really hit me "there" yet. I'm sure it'll come sooner or later (it's only been like what, 5-6 years), but I also wish they could give some love to the old continuity, like maybe canonize at least KOTOR (since Revan was supposed to have an appearance in the Mortis Arc of TCW), or even remake it would be a real treat.

Anyway, does this really matter? SWT still makes money off their IP and supposedly wasn't making money off the fan film. Who cares if Disney takes it?

I would say they mistreated fans for a while with some of the shit they said regarding The Last Jedi, but I also think they've been pulling it together lately.

Back