• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[SPOILER] Pokémon SW/SH thread [SPOILER]

bro im a whole new level of stupid i think i might actually have short term memory loss im so dumb.

im about to be in the guinness world records as the stupidest person alive

The fossil mons reveal the inherent problem with using dex entries as canon. They talk about the combined abominations as if they were one actual single pokemon existing in the prehistoric ages (implying that they are invented on the fly), when it's obvious that they are just a mistake of fossil resurrection.

How are these getting treated? Are we going to change the way pokedex entries are treated here, or are they simply outliers?

Arctozolt

The shaking of its freezing upper half is what generates its electricity. It has a hard time walking around.'This Pokémon lived on prehistoric seashores and was able to preserve food with the ice on its body. It went extinct because it moved so slowly.

Dracozolt

In ancient times, it was unbeatable thanks to its powerful lower body, but it went extinct anyway after it depleted all its plant-based food sources.'The powerful muscles in its tail generate its electricity. Compared to its lower body, its upper half is entirely too small.

Dracovish

Powerful legs and jaws made it the apex predator of its time. Its own overhunting of its prey was what drove it to extinction.'Its mighty legs are capable of running at speeds exceeding 40 mph, but this Pokémon can't breathe unless it's underwater.

Arctovish

Though it's able to capture prey by freezing its surroundings, it has trouble eating the prey afterward because its mouth is on top of its head.'The skin on its face is impervious to attack, but breathing difficulties made this Pokémon go extinct anyway.

This just means Galar archaeologists are shady just like UK's real life case where they mixed up fossils and think it's fact. Later on down the line we'll probably see their actual selves.

Zacian is pretty busted.

Also Cinderace is really good with it's special ability and all.

And pokémon in general have gained some hax moves for a good amount of them

I do wonder what Draco- whatever's true form looks like. Something like....

Oh gosh, is Dreepy's Evolution line related to Draco-? They have a close colour scheme and are mostly missing a lower body.

Foxthefox1000 said:
This just means Galar archaeologists are shady just like UK's real life case where they mixed up fossils and think it's fact. Later on down the line we'll probably see their actual selves.
That's the entire point. The Pokedex can't be treated as incorruptible canon when it's clear that anyone can write entries on it, even when they're clear lies.

So, how do we handle Galar's Fossil Pokemon Pokedex entries, then? Do we treat them as being unknown as to whether they're true or not? Do we wait for other media featuring those Pokemon?

Do we scrutinize the data ourselves?

Do we abstain from making profiles for them at all? Is this a question for another thread?

I would wait to see them featured in the anime before doing anything. So far this seems to be something contradicted by the series as of now.

I see. Admittedly, there's also the possibility that the Pokedex writers in the setting in this case, did NOT just make up these entries, or what they wrote was actually true.

Are they absurd species that look like hybrids? Absolutely. But as far as I can tell, we don't have anything that does more than IMPLY they're hybrids with made-up in-universe speculation about them, possibly to cover up in-universe mistakes.

Put briefly, just because they might be speculating at best doesn't make it much better for us to use speculation.

After all, without anything decisive -as opposed to simply suggesting a possible conclusion- about if those Pokemon naturally existed as they did in prehistoric times, shouldn't we just take the lore at face value and assume it's true?

Other than their designs, what supports the Fossils' entries being inaccurate? Any dialogue in game or such on the matter? Pokemon IS full of absurd creatures, but we still treat entries about those species as reliable.

I just think it would seem strange to break that precedent based on what lacks much more proof beyond fan speculation, even if the case of the of alternative of taking things at face value is a bit surreal to be true.

Sorry to have bothered you, Dragon. It's okay if you don't wanna go over it.

TL;DR - I'm skeptic the fossils are hybrid fossils with made up dex entries without more canonical proof; It feels like fan theorization. Pokemon has many weird monsters already, so I'd more readily take what's told at face value than assuming their entries are false.

Best wishes!

oh... was under the impression that the wolfs beat it. guess he was only captured. his transformation sequence looked power tho

lets not bring any hate here. as dissapointed that i am in these games, i want to get to experience them, to see if any joy comes out of them

Back