• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
The main story here.

For summary, Sony will be ending their joint custody of the Spider-Man character with Disney due to Disney asking for more profits from the movies. This includes all rights, including Merchandise, TV shows, Theme Park Attractions, and yes, Movie rights.

In hindsight, yes, this isn't exactly the most relevant of news, but still, given that the wiki has an MCU fanbase, I assume this news might be interesting to some.

To be fair this might mean there'll be more solo Spider-Man films in developement, and Tom Holland as well as Jon Watts are going to retain their roles for whatever franchise Sony may put out. You gotta realize that currently, Spider-Man's literally the only franchise Sony has, so it definitely won't be stagnating in any way.

Well, there is still a possibility Disney and Sony might come to another agreement. Right now, Spider-Man may be leaving the MCU, but it's just a "may" (pun intended).

https://ew.com/movies/2019/08/24/to...re-disney-sony/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Tom Holland's comments: *"Basically, we've made five great movies," Holland told EW. "It's been five amazing years. I've had the time of my life. Who knows what the future holds? But all I know is that I'm going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of my life. It's going to be so fun, however we choose to do it. The future for Spider-Man will be different, but it will be equally as awesome and amazing, and we'll find new ways to make it even cooler."*

Kevin Feige's comments: *"I'm feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy," Feige told EW. "We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we'd be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I'll always be thankful for that."*

I gotta be honest I think MCU's gonna go downhill at this point. No Cap, no Iron Man, no Spider-Man (after he kept being hyped as Tony's successor and all these cliffhangers involving his movies), no Black Widow (outside of flashbacks) and no Savage Hulk (with Professor Hulk possibly being out of commission).

Yeah, Disney's dropping the ball. Unless they manage to turn Captain Marvel into a character strong enough to carry the franchise (because I guarantee that's what they're gonna try to do) then I don't see the MCU doing too well in the near future.

We still have some left like Blank Panther, Doctor Strange the Guardians Ect But yeah Disney is really dropping the ball here.

Js250476 said:
We still have some left like Blank Panther, Doctor Strange the Guardians Ect But yeah Disney is really dropping the ball here.
Can we stop acting like Disney "ruined" Star Wars please? There Star Wars stuff legit isn't that bad. Not as bad as the Prequels anyways.

Holland also said he will continue to play spider-Man, so it seems like Sony will still keep the same actor, the character just won't be part of the MCU anymore. That will be really weird.

All these different cinematic universes and spin-offs and reboots and and different series of movies/shows are going to be way too confusing for anyone who isn't already following all this shit to get into it. Which I guess doesn't matter since they're still making billions, but yeah.

They might as well adapt One More Day at this point Spidey goes to Mephisto to fix everything, but Mephisto makes it so that he never existed in the MCU to begin with.

Just say the MCU one was a clone all along, and then drag the storyline for years when it was originally only supposed to last a few months, and make sure to add a bunch of pointless characters and side stories that go nowhere, and then end by bringing the Green Goblin back to life for no reason.

Yeah, MCU will return to obscurity unless Disney can come up with a new Avengers. Which is bad for Marvel Comics because the success of its movies seem to be one of the few reasons Disney hasn't canned it.

In spite of the Prequels low quality, I find that Prequels fans tend to be the most chill parts of the fandom honestly.

That aside, I wasn't even explicitly talking about the Sequels (pretty big Meh for me, best was Rogue One, if only for the Vader scene). Stuff like, Galaxy of Adventures is pretty awsome.

I hope that once Sony re-start making Spider-man movies, they put the same care that Spider-Verse had and not the crap of Venom.

Both are honestly greed.

Sony would have probably left Venom die if it was not for the fact that it earned a lot of money.

Disney was already out of control when it decided to buy Fox.

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
But I don't mind Spider-Man leaving the MCU, Sony did make the best Spider-Man film with Spider-Verse.
somewhat agree with this sentiment. spiderverse is a sign that sony can move on without disney.

Back