• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sound files for quotes

As others have said, they are virtually harmless on themselves and even nice, but I agree that having them can bring many troubles.

I can see them being applied only to locked pages, and perhaps after having them approved via a CRT, tho those frequencies that only kids can hear mentioned above could pass unnoticed.

Doesn't Fate do this on their wiki and have 0 problems moderating it?

My only qualms would be non-english verses getting audio files that aren't in english and so they wouldn't make sense. Unless they use the dub but then I would have to delete the profile for sacrilegious acts.

I do however, see a benefit to this since hearing a quote and reading it gives completely different contexts. I can't hear the way a character presents their quote just by reading it, and by hearing it, I can get a better understanding of their character, their motivations, etc.

The Mega Man Knowledge Base also does this and also has no problems moderating it too.

I guess as a countermeasure as suggested by Saman is to lock the pages who have these audio files to protect them from vandalization.

I think locking pages with audio files is pretty extreme for something that is 99% of the time a fun addition to an already optional part of a profile.

Maybe we can set a length limit to help with moderation?

I guess as a countermeasure as suggested by Saman is to lock the pages who have these audio files to protect them from vandalization.
That's not what I meant, because it's not feasible to lock pages that would normally stay open just because of the audio file.

My proposal was to limit the files to pages which would normally be locked, or having the file accepted and examinate in a CRT.

Just search up their quotes onto the internet and find some videos of the exact quote, either way, I'm not so keen onto this. Since trolls might actually put a virus file onto it.

That's not what I meant, because it's not feasible to lock pages that would normally stay open just because of the audio file.

My proposal was to limit the files to pages which would normally be locked, or having the file accepted and examinate in a CRT.
Ah. Okay, I misunderstood then. Apologies.

I agree with this. But I think we should ensure that sound files aren't messy, cut improperly, or have much background noise, focusing mainly on the quote itself if possible.

Ehhh. I actually stand opposed to this one. I think it would be an extremely rare and gimmick addition to a profile and would only serve to bloat our standard profile format. If left out and mentioned in, say, a rule page, I still think it would detract from the uniformity of our profiles as they are. Purely an aesthetic complaint, but then this is a purely aesthetic addition.

The difference between this Wiki and others is, to say that we have a frequent trolling problem caused by people who can go to disgusting lengths at times is an understatement.
Also a good point, aye.

My only qualms would be non-english verses getting audio files that aren't in english and so they wouldn't make sense.
I've seen the villains wiki accept voice files in other languages if those characters come from non-English works, admittedly.

Anyway, to tally up the votes:
Agree: Confluctor, KLOL, Ogbunabali, Kieran, JustSomeWeirdo, Sir Ovens, Nehz, Krukov, MitchAubin, Crabwhale, Psychomaster, Ogurtsow
Disagree: Mr. Bambu, Therefir, The Impress, Everything12, Tllmbrg, Antvasima
Neutral: Celestial Pegasus, AKM Sama, Damage, Jasonsith
Neutral, but leaning towards Disagree: Elizhaa, Starter Pack

12 Agrees, 6 or 8 Disagrees (Could be more but I think the unclear posts are more neutral than agreeing or disagreeing)

Last edited:
Btw if it wasn’t clear I’m also against this
I think our site already has ton of pointless shit

It shouldn’t be banned or anything but it shouldn’t be a part of standard format when we’re like 30,000 pages in this thing

Btw if it wasn’t clear I’m also against this
I think our site already has ton of pointless shit

It shouldn’t be banned or anything but it shouldn’t be a part of standard format when we’re like 30,000 pages in this thing
Nobody's arguing it to be a standard tho.

Just a fun thing people can add when they want to. Not all profiles need to have this either.

People willing to troll could put **** on pages or something just as easily though. This does provide a new potential for trollers, but I don't think it will go south like many people are thinking. Although, it's a fair point that it will be much harder to moderate because we'd have to listen to the full audio to make sure, unlike with pics or text that can be seen at a glance. And it will require more effort. For not so much gain. I am neutral anyway.

Yeah my issue isn't that "this can lead to trolling", it is "this can lead to unnoticeable trolling". Giving examples of other sites is wonk because they do not possess enough pages and aren't a fraction as reliant on user edits as compared to us.

The villains wiki does, I think the bigger issue is that trolling is more frequent on VSBW as far as I've seen.

I'd rather be positive on this. It'd make profiles more «alive», you could hear the catchphrase of a character you don't even know about. This would give you even more improved VBW experience.

Additionally, if anybody is still wondering how could we monitor audio files, here's the relevant page in Image Activity. As you can see, audio files aren't common on the VBW, and it's unlikely we will start getting like 10–15 new audios a day even if the change gets approved.

I've seen the villains wiki accept voice files in other languages if those characters come from non-English works, admittedly.

Anyway, to tally up the votes:
Agree: Confluctor, KLOL, Ogbunabali, Kieran, JustSomeWeirdo, Sir Ovens, Nehz, Krukov, MitchAubin, Crabwhale, Psychomaster
Disagree: Mr. Bambu, Therefir, The Impress, Everything12, Tllmbrg
Neutral: Celestial Pegasus, AKM Sama, Damage, Jasonsith
Neutral, but leaning towards Disagree: Elizhaa, Starter Pack

11 Agrees, 5 or 7 Disagrees (Could be more but I think the unclear posts are more neutral than agreeing or disagreeing)
I am also against this suggestion.

I removed the Omni-Man sound file earlier. Should I restore it or not?

Most people seem to be agreeing with the addition of sound files.

Well, it would be quite hard to ensure that all of them are reliable, and do not contain any vulgarities, for example.

I'm neutral on this.

It's probably harmless, and could even be nice, but I do see the potential for trolling/vandalism.
I'm not opposed to it as long as it's optional, I suppose.

I'm neutral on this.

It's probably harmless, and could even be nice, but I do see the potential for trolling/vandalism.
I'm not opposed to it as long as it's optional, I suppose.
The problem is that according to my experience, once our members notice the existence of this layout type, they will increasingly add more and more sound files, and it would eventually turn very hard to monitor them all.

There is not sufficient staff consensus here to change our standards.

should we even change the standards to accommodate for this? This feels heavily like a purely aesthetic thing that has no bearing on the standard profile layout

I agree to allowing voice files on profiles if its an optional thing for fun, since it's going to take too long to completely revise all of the pages we have already with voice files for all of the quotes
I removed the Omni-Man sound file earlier. Should I restore it or not?
I'd say restore it tbh, its not harming anyone in the slightest.

For the record don't input anymore since this is a Staff Discussion thread, ask a moderator on thwir wall to voice your opinions

Back