• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sound files for quotes

After we create the thread, we should preferably link to it and mention the new praxis in our editing rules or the relevant standard format page.

Your input would also be appreciated here.
Hop likes this idea, yes. But should the clips be recorded by a staff member or wiki regular to begin with? Instead of searching elsewhere for them? We have a better likelihood of quality rips instead of just recording over a YouTube video or something like that. OGG is easy to make too, all of us could easily do it in Audacity. If anyone needs help with that, Hop is familiar.

As long as the ogg file is of good quality, sticks to the written quote itself, and has been uploaded to the wiki, it is probably fine to add, as long as it has been evaluated in the upcoming wiki management thread beforehand.

Or better yet, just wrap the quote to a youtube video link

Impress is correct.

So is somebody here willing to write a draft for our upcoming thread for suggesting ogg sound quote file additions, and should we mention this somewhere in our main standard format page or in our editing rules?

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Standard_Format_for_Character_Profiles
«This thread is for requesting that an .ogg quote sound file is added below a certain character's quote. The proposed sound files must be uploaded to the wiki beforehand.

Content moderators should preferably subscribe to this thread.»

As for the Standard Format, there should be a separate section explaining quotes as a whole. The sound files could be explained in there as well. Such a section would be better to be located right above or right below the Tabbers and Images section.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, we would have to hope that all the sound files are the actual right ones, are of reasonable Quality and don't have copyrighted music playing in the background, there's also the fear of exploitation by trolls and the like with sound files design to cause issues (earrape , high pitch blast sound effects) or sounds designed to distort or hurt speakers and headsets.

The language should be English, otherwise it'll be very hard to monitor.
Yes. Agreed.
«This thread is for requesting that an .ogg quote sound file is added below a certain character's quote. The proposed sound files must be uploaded to the wiki beforehand.

Content moderators should preferably subscribe to this thread.»

As for the Standard Format, there should be a separate section explaining quotes as a whole. The sound files could be explained in there as well. Such a section would be better to be located right above or right below the Tabbers and Images section.
Thank you for helping out. What do the rest of you think?
I'm not sure if it's a good idea, we would have to hope that all the sound files are the actual right ones, are of reasonable Quality and don't have copyrighted music playing in the background, there's also the fear of exploitation by trolls and the like with sound files design to cause issues (earrape , high pitch blast sound effects) or sounds designed to distort or hurt speakers and headsets.
Well, the idea we came up with is that only sound quotes that have been evaluated and accepted in a special wiki management forum thread should be allowed to be added.

The language should be English, otherwise it'll be very hard to monitor.
I think in the case of stuff like very popular anime that could be ignored, Some catchphrases from famous anime characters don't really hit the same in English and are iconic enough to evaluate without knowledge of the language.

I think in the case of stuff like very popular anime that could be ignored, Some catchphrases from famous anime characters don't really hit the same in English and are iconic enough to evaluate without knowledge of the language.
Well help from other language "experts" will be needed then.
We do not expect all animations or films have official English translations.

For (an obscure) example, "我要打十個!" (I want to fight ten people!) and Saam fan zong. You live, by then, ngo fong gwo nei. (Three. Minutes. If you can leave by then, I let you go.).

Last edited:
That's why I said popular, it doesn't take someone who knows japanese to tell that "Yare yare daze" is a catchphrase as long as they have a cursory knowledge on JoJo

We obviously cannot allow the Japanese sound file versions of quotes posted with English text. Also, it seems rather vague to state that we allow iconic quotes, as different members have different standards in this regard.

So is somebody willing to write a draft text with rules included for the first post of the new wiki management forum thread?

Seems good to me, I have no issue that comes to mind right away.

Yeah it looks good!

How does everyone else feel about it?
Sorry for commenting in this thread

It's just that I want to ask a little bit

When you say "everyone"

You mean all members, or staff present in the thread

Because if it's for all members, members who forget that this thread is only for staff will reply to your comments

Sorry for commenting on the staff discussion.

I generally dislike sound files being used for threads, I've mentioned this previously.

Sorry for commenting in this thread

It's just that I want to ask a little bit

When you say "everyone"

You mean all members, or staff present in the thread

Because if it's for all members, members who forget that this thread is only for staff will reply to your comments

Sorry for commenting on the staff discussion.
This is Staff Only, so I meant only the staff who have been present on the thread

I've also learned that for adding sound files for quotes on profiles, OGG files aren't the only things that work. MP3 files work just as well, so in the request thread, it should be noted that they don't need to be OGG files

I've also learned that for adding sound files for quotes on profiles, OGG files aren't the only things that work. MP3 files work just as well, so in the request thread, it should be noted that they don't need to be OGG files
Ogg files work better for fandom, as I've learned in other wikis. They're the more recommended format, though I don't remember why exactly.

I didn't say mp3 files didn't work, just that ogg files work better and are the more recommended format.

Back