• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I'm not going to lie: trying to upgrade base form Sonic characters to 1-C is like Icarus flying too close to the sun and falling to his death.

I mean if the evidence is sufficient enough then I won't complain, but I can't help but think that trying to push for that will be cutting it too close for comfort.
2-C seems to line up more so from my perspective.

I'm not going to lie: trying to upgrade base form Sonic characters to 1-C is like Icarus flying too close to the sun and falling to his death.

I mean if the evidence is sufficient enough then I won't complain, but I can't help but think that trying to push for that will be cutting it too close for comfort.
I’ve always been a fan of gliding my d**k over the proverbial sonic chainsaw

Ha, true! It's from @Peptocoptr27. If the Low 1-A Archie thread fails, Pepto plans to create a CRT trying to fit Boom into Games and make String Theory tierable via using Dr. Eggman's statement and applying it to Maginaryworld. At least, that's my educated guess.
Also, I'll have to do research on brane cosmologies in order to make my case since string theory by itself doesn't grant higher dimensionality in the wiki unless it's specifically a brane cosmology. Thread 'String Theory' https://vsbattles.com/threads/string-theory.167572/
Zones in Archie do look like branes if I recall correctly, but I don't know if that's enough.

Windii is already working on translations of the new game in Japanese, if there are any differences you can check it on Windii's releases.

So those moments where Black Doom is ******* around with space and time are a "world" of his which he created himself. The English dub simply referred to it as his creation, so that's a clarification for what Big Doom created.

Power-scalers outside of here all say that Japanese scripts are irrelevant when it comes to Ian Flynn re-writes. How do I explain to them that the Japanese and english versions are both canon? It is admittedly confusing

Power-scalers outside of here all say that Japanese scripts are irrelevant when it comes to Ian Flynn re-writes. How do I explain to them that the Japanese and english versions are both canon? It is admittedly confusing
If one wants something direct, Ian himself told so during Bumblekasts. In general, it's just to look at what gets made from it. The Japanese-only material uses the Japanese scripts and makes references to them, and the Japanese-only material are canon even without translation as stated by Ian himself, so of course the Japanese scripts are canon.

The way Ian explains is more like the content being multi-layered, stuff that isn't contradictory between the translations are still valid, there's just a lot of thing that can be represented with dialogue.

If anything, the general fandom just has a very distorted concept of canon that basically only fits with the concepts of one person that worked with Sonic before, Ken Penders.

If one wants something direct, Ian himself told so during Bumblekasts. In general, it's just to look at what gets made from it. The Japanese-only material uses the Japanese scripts and makes references to them, and the Japanese-only material are canon even without translation as stated by Ian himself, so of course the Japanese scripts are canon.

The way Ian explains is more like the content being multi-layered, stuff that isn't contradictory between the translations are still valid, there's just a lot of thing that can be represented with dialogue.

If anything, the general fandom just has a very distorted concept of canon that basically only fits with the concepts of one person that worked with Sonic before, Ken Penders.
Question, if you don't mind me asking: how is it that handled when the Japanese and English scripts are equally canon? Because IIRC, Ian Flynn was the one who wrote the story of Frontiers, which got adapted by Morio Kishimoto into the Japanese language, so wouldn't the English dub take precedence?

Going to be honest those who think that are simply fools. Japanese script has always been the priority and Ian answer to Sonic Team, not the contrary.

Question, if you don't mind me asking: how is it that handled when the Japanese and English scripts are equally canon? Because IIRC, Ian Flynn was the one who wrote the story of Frontiers, which got adapted by Morio Kishimoto into the Japanese language, so wouldn't the English dub take precedence?
It would depend on having a "canon priority" to begin with, something that has never been stated by anyone working on Sonic, and even denied by Ian himself. The two versions of the script coexist, it has no need to follow one singular continuous line of event, just accept everything happened and move on. It's the way that Ian also describes how both endings of Sonic Frontiers are canon, the story will follow from "The End is defeated and Sage is alive", which is true for both endings. The specifics of how it happened do not matter.

Going to be honest those who think that are simply fools. Japanese script has always been the priority and Ian answer to Sonic Team, not the contrary.
I was under the impression that both were in an akward state of being equally canon somehow. Don't remember where I got this from though so...
Fighting an uphill battle I see
r/deathbattle is riding the **** out of the "Time Eater got nerfed to universal+ LMAO" train.

It would depend on having a "canon priority" to begin with, something that has never been stated by anyone working on Sonic, and even denied by Ian himself. The two versions of the script coexist, it has no need to follow one singular continuous line of event, just accept everything happened and move on. It's the way that Ian also describes how both endings of Sonic Frontiers are canon, the story will follow from "The End is defeated and Sage is alive", which is true for both endings. The specifics of how it happened do not matter.
So in layman's terms: both the Japanese and English scripts are equally canon to one another and that everything that happened in both are important to each other without one being above the other? Gotcha.

It makes sense, to be honest. And the Japanese scripts for Sonic games, from my personal observations, tend to have more exposition in the writing so I can understand why both the English and Japanese dubs would be equally canon.

Aren’t the original English script and the Ian Flynn rewrites both canon?

So in layman's terms: both the Japanese and English scripts are equally canon to one another and that everything that happened in both are important to each other without one being above the other? Gotcha.

It makes sense, to be honest. And the Japanese scripts for Sonic games, from my personal observations, tend to have more exposition in the writing so I can understand why both the English and Japanese dubs would be equally canon.
Yeah, for some reason a lot of people only think of canon as a singular version of a work made by one person and that only, with everything else being non-canon. Such limited view about canon although common if by far not all there's, if anything, Sonic having two coexisting scripts that are basically the same thing using a few different keywords sometimes (At least as of late not counting Frontiers) is really not that impressive.

There are definitely works that are far more "just accept anything" in terms of canon, some that I think are more well known because it's directly connected with the plot (Like the TES franchise), while others not (Since I'm more of a Digimon guy, I need to say that there are a lot more "definitely contradictory stuff" that are just accepted as canon there than just conflict between two translations with Sonic).

Maybe one day people will move on from this Western based almost monotheistic understanding of canon.

Just read the r/deathbattle post and you’ll see
Eh, I'm not one to read those type of posts since I know that the user's going to have power scaling takes that are different from you and I'd power scaling takes.

So even if I disagree with them, I'm not going to be bothered by them because it ultimately doesn't affect me.

Maybe one day people will move on from this Western based almost monotheistic understanding of canon.
It doesn't help that there are some people on the internet who hold the Japanese scripts for Sonic games in high regard and essentially disregard the English scripts.

It's hard to explain what I mean by that, to be honest, but I've noticed a lot of these so called "purits" who look down on the westernized Sonic and treat the Japanese variation as the true form of the franchise or some bullshit like that.

Eh, I'm not one to read those type of posts since I know that the user's going to have power scaling takes that are different from you and I'd power scaling takes.

So even if I disagree with them, I'm not going to be bothered by them because it ultimately doesn't affect me.
Dude is basically in every single reply continuously saying that Time Eater was nerfed and that Sonic is fodder now, he wants him dead.

Dude is basically in every single reply continuously saying that Time Eater was nerfed and that Sonic is fodder now, he wants him dead.
How was the Time Eater even nerfed in the rewrites? The rewrites gave us a pretty blatant immeasurable speed statement for the Time Eater, and even the whole singular timeline thing doesn't matter much when Eggman states that the Time Eater would give him control over ALL of time and allow him and his past self to reshape everything after erasing it with the Time Eater.

Even then: I'd actually argue that Shadow Generations retroactively bumps up the Time Eater simply under the basis that it brought back Mephiles after he was snuffed out of existence when 06 was retconned. Meaning that the Time Eater can quite arguably affect events as powerful as 06.

Do people actually think Hypertimeline is a real usable term by most media and a media not using it is "proof it isn't"? I'll never understand how people got this view that the terminology on the Wiki and VsBoards should be the measure stick of terms in the works themselves, instead of understanding the works as individual things that get a translation when put into the Vs context.

Of course almost no work will make use of the term hypertimeline, that is a made-up term to describe something that before already existed, but since people either didn't know specifics or wanted to see it beyond the constraints of previous understanding, ended up starting to use the term.

The truth is, most people won't really know the meaning of that or why it's used, so it's sadly just as true that most people will have unrealistic expectations about it.

So I watched the Japanese dub of Shadow Generations' story and, unlike the English dub, Gerald states that he and Maria were returning to their timeline as opposed to the point in time line from the English dub.

Given that one guidebook's statement of Crisis City from Sonic Generations being a universe, I wonder if Gerald's line gives in universe credence to levels in Sonic and Shadow Generations being their own timelines/universes as opposed to being just points in time of the timeline.

So I watched the Japanese dub of Shadow Generations' story and, unlike the English dub, Gerald states that he and Maria were returning to their timeline as opposed to the point in time line from the English dub.

Given that one guidebook's statement of Crisis City from Sonic Generations being a universe, I wonder if Gerald's line gives in universe credence to levels in Sonic and Shadow Generations being their own timelines/universes as opposed to being just points in time of the timeline.
Before Time Eater got full-on cosmology scaling, he was actually 2-C for this exact reason.

Anyway, I'm really stoked for Shake's CRT on the game. Hopefully that allows us to finally move past this Time Eater AP discussion.

Back