• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
The physics in Superstars look decent,but the models,music,& stage design look/sound really subpar. People are already saying it's better than Mania+? Nah! Mania is like the best possible setlist from your fav musician's discography,played even more energetically & colorfully improvised than the studio version. Superstars looks like that one dud album where they went grunge/groove.

Last edited:
Just finished Superstars, and shall give my factual objective ranking of the classic games:
  1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Interchangeable with Sonic Mania)
  2. Sonic Mania (Interchangeable with Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
  3. Sonic CD and Sonic Superstars (Don't know which one I like more quite yet)
  4. Sonic 2
  5. Sonic the Hedgehog

The physics in Superstars look decent,but the models,music,& stage design look/sound really subpar. People are already saying it's better than Mania+? Nah! Mania is like the best possible setlist from your fav musician's discography,played even more energetically & colorfully improvised than the studio version. Superstars looks like that one dud album where they went grunge/groove.
Honestly, that's my opinion in regards to Sonic Superstars after having played the game for awhile today. It's not a bad game at all, far from it, but I'll take Sonic Mania+ over Superstars every day of the week. I'm sure my opinion of the game will change over time, but one thing I will say is the fact this game is 60$ when you can get Sonic Frontiers with all its DLC and updates for the same price is utterly absurd for a game that I think is more like a budget platformer

one question,why are people saying infinite is the worst villain of the franchise,having like,dozens of villains who actually don't have any ******* dialogue or personality,and are just flat doomsday villains.
and the one's who are actually personality,are either also flat,and literraly the most non-sensical one,ignoring eggman(not gonna count him)infinite,mephiles,black doom and the end,are the only villains that actually are beyond your tipical villains,zavok,maybe he saves himself,or maybe not.
but in general,i could say that,in the top of villains,this will be it:
1.infinite
2.the end
3.mephiles
4.black doom
5.zavok
and not counting eggman.

Unpopular opinion, but Mania is by far the most overrated game in this series. Several levels are literally a 1-1 copy of the same levels from the other classic games, and yet it gets a free pass because "fans made it". Frontiers almost got crucified for using re-used level design in Cyberspace even if the looks and gameplay style was completely different from the original games.

The Drop Dash & Ruby Delusions alone are worth the price of admission IMO,let alone everything else that was done immaculately in that game. 3 A.I.R. with the screen nuking Super Drop Dash is crack,& elevates that game even higher than it already was,thanks to Mania's mechanics.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear my RAZOR-SHARP-HYPER-NEO-CLASSICAL-SPEED-NWOBHM-NWOTHM-USPM-EUPM-J-PM-SYMPHONIC-TRAD-METAL arrangement of Ruby Delusions I commissioned years ago. It's the best boss theme in the entire IP, by a country mile.

Last edited:
After playing and completing Super Stars, I can say I enjoyed it more than Sonic 1, 2, Mania, and CD. Though I liked 3&K a bit more. If I had friends to play with, it'd probably be a lot more enjoyable.

Bit disappointed the cast didn't get an actual super looking form outside of Sonic, but I expected that. Except for Trip, did NOT see that coming

Trip is adorable and precious, the music is great. Though the special stages were a bit of a let down. It's fun but incredibly easy. Some bosses felt pretty cheap too.

Several levels are literally a 1-1 copy of the same levels from the other classic games, and yet it gets a free pass because "fans made it".
It's not, at least from what is known. It's "They didn't want to make it, they wanted to make a complete game with only new content, but Sonic Team requested them to add legacy stages". We can't really blame the developers if the higher-ups said they needed to. Wasn't a good choice IMO, but that isn't to blame on the "fan developers".

SJG has incredible art,but absolutely horrendous takes regarding Archie scaling. That's social media in a nutshell,I suppose. Come for the cool art,stay for the dogshit opinions.

It's not, at least from what is known. It's "They didn't want to make it, they wanted to make a complete game with only new content, but Sonic Team requested them to add legacy stages". We can't really blame the developers if the higher-ups said they needed to. Wasn't a good choice IMO, but that isn't to blame on the "fan developers".
It still doesn't change the fact most levels are 1-1 copies, and that the fanbase lets it go because "Big bad mean Sega didn't let them go all out".

Also, you're wrong. Mania was never going to be an original game. It was going to be a Sonic Jam like port of the classics with some new stuff. It was Iizuka who argued for the full game we know as Mania now.

Wait I thought Mania was just gonna be the 4 original zones they made and then then Iizuka suggested remixing old zones to make it longer.

Also most levels ain't 1-1 copies, there's the odd little chunk of level design that recreates the original level but as someone that has played the classics to hell and back they ain't just 1-1 copies.

Also most levels ain't 1-1 copies, there's the odd little chunk of level design that recreates the original level but as someone that has played the classics to hell and back they ain't just 1-1 copies.
I just re-played Mania recently, and as someone who replays the classics hell to back as well, most levels are 1-1 copies. Green Hill Act 1, Chemical Plant Act 1, Flying Battery Act 1, Stardust Speedway Act 2, for example are all 1-1 copies to the originals. Those levels have way more than just a "chunk" copied.

One thing I can say about Sonic Superstars is that, for my platform which is PC, even though I bought the Steam version it installs Epic Games in order to actually run the game. And on top of that, apparently you can't even access Battle Mode without an Epic Games account to use the Epic Online Service.

Like, was there any prior information from SEGA that the Steam version of the game was going to need an Epic Games account to utilize certain features or did they give out a different build for review without telling anyone what the final build was going to have? Because if it's the later then that's pretty shady of them to do something like that. That and having Denuvo on top of that is also a sour spot for me

Also, you're wrong. Mania was never going to be an original game. It was going to be a Sonic Jam like port of the classics with some new stuff. It was Iizuka who argued for the full game we know as Mania now.
You are right, I ended up mistaking the info from the interview with Takashi Iizuka.

Anyway, although there are biases around that, I guess it also depends on how much you can have enjoyment you can have from that material. There are people who are perfectly fine with it and others who hate it. I'm particularly fine with both Mania's and Frontiers' approaches. I also enjoyed Superstars' design and ideas, while many others think it's terrible and something that goes against the design principles of the original games and shouldn't exist.

About the levels and background development details, I don't think there's a perfect metric to really define this kind of stuff. It just depends on the time when a certain part of the fandom is louder about it (There are times when people that hate Frontiers are getting all the spotlight, and there are times when the opposite happens, and it gets into that back-and-forth between the two extremes).

I don't think Mania is a bad game. it's just extremely overrated when you hear people say it's the "best Sonic game in 20 years!!!".

mate people haven't been acting that way for a while, in fact discussion of that game has died down a lot

Frontiers on the other hand

mate people haven't been acting that way for a while, in fact discussion of that game has died down a lot

Frontiers on the other hand
If anything, I think it's already in the stage of people saying it was never good and Sonic fans just never had a game on that level because the other ones were much worse.

Back