• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I sure was expecting Colors Ultimate to merge the plot contents of the Wii and DS versions of Colors, but no, it's just Wii Colors 2.0, except with far more bugs as usual.

You know I gotta be for real with you guys, this is single handedly one of the most disappointing remasters I've ever seen before. But you know IMO, I think this game also shows that Sonic Colors isn't as good as I remember it being due to the unmemorable level design and the writing

It's pretty sad when 3D All Stars is a much better remaster then Colors Ultimate. Now I know it's unfair to compare 3 games in 1 to just 1 game, but at least with All Stars it didn't make the ports even worse then their original versions

It's pretty sad when 3D All Stars is a much better remaster then Colors Ultimate. Now I know it's unfair to compare 3 games in 1 to just 1 game, but at least with All Stars it didn't make the ports even worse then their original versions
Ouch.

The management for quality at Sega is the same as ever. Except for Yakuza and wisely staying out of the Persona Team’s way.

Unleashed is better imo.
Playing the daytime stages with the Unleashed Project made me see that Unleashed has some of the best level design in the Sonic franchise. Now that's not to say the Werehog wasn't bad, he was actually fun, but Unleashed really does a damn fine job at capturing the raw speed of Sonic with obstacles that have thought put into it

Playing the daytime stages with the Unleashed Project made me see that Unleashed has some of the best level design in the Sonic franchise. Now that's not to say the Werehog wasn't bad, he was actually fun, but Unleashed really does a damn fine job at capturing the raw speed of Sonic with obstacles that have thought put into it
I read somewhere that Shadow and Knuckles were originally planned to be playable characters in Unleashed as alts for Sonic (daytime for Shads and nightime for Knuxs), ofc I dunno if it's true or not but considering Unleashed is called "World Adventure" in Japan it does add some credence to that rumor.
Had the best opening cutscene too
Literally the only time Dr Eggman defeated Super Sonic in the game canon, just think about that for a second... :0

It was also the last time, in my head canon, that Eggman could be intimidating and dangerous instead of just being comedic relief
The last time any character was characterized correctly outside of being a caricature stereotype. (Unless you want to count Black Knight as mainstream)

It was also the last time, in my head canon, that Eggman could be intimidating and dangerous instead of just being comedic relief
Speaking of Eggman being intimidating and dangerous, I still remember the chills I had near the end of Tails' story in SA. After stopping Eggman from nuking the city, Tails has to reassure himself "I'm not scared, I'm not scared" when Dr Eggman (clearly pissed off) said "Away with you, before I make mincemeat out of you!".
Black Knight is mainstream and mainline canon.
IIRC it literally takes place immediately after Unleashed with Sonic grabbing a couple hotdogs (one for himself and the other for Amy) only to get isekai'ed into Camelot.

Ah yes, because he wanted to repay Amy for their friendship.
715397709372063767.png

Headcanon is all you got lol, plus the fact those events with Amy happened suspiciously right after Sonic X Elise was poorly received XP

Last edited:
Black Knight is mainstream and mainline canon.
Mainline canon yes. Mainstream, if it depends on your definition of mainstream. Don’t forget it was a spin-off that was de-listed relatively quickly. Either way, very underrated gem imo.

So I watched this interesting video on Ken Penders and what he did during and after his time as the writer for Archie Sonic. Now I'm sure most of us know already what he did, but what I found interesting in the video is that commentator mentions that SEGA(or the court or whatever) created these restrictions/guidelines that those who were involved in Sonic comics had to abide by during those initial lawsuits with Penders and apparently one of those guidelines was the story couldn't depict Sonic completely which was shown in the video right here.
Now as I said IDK came from the court or from SEGA's mouth but it's interesting to find out why Archie Sonic never suffered long term losses

did yall see that the new IDW characters are based on old genesis sonic glitches, i think thats so ******* cool lol

Wait really? I'm curious to see an example if you have one with ya
Left is the green and black sonic glitch from Sonic 2 Debug mode, Right is probably a reference to Blue Knuckles from Sonic 3. It also comes full circle with Starline being a reference to the Knuckles Chaotix glitch himself, and he also made these two iirc.
unknown.png

This vid explains Ashura's lore quite well.

Okay, so I've started reading Archie, and so far it doesn't look half bad
2021-09-08_7.png
Ah... yes I remember Sega putting a few Archie Sonic issues in the Sonic Mega Collection+ (which objectively has one of the best Videogame intro themes of all time)

You know outside of characterization, what's another reason for you liking the Archie continuity? For me it's the expansion of Sonic's world in either something exclusive to the world or a new spin taken from the games, like yes the games do sometimes give us that world building but Archie Sonic has its own identity and for that I like how it gives its own explanation for the blue blur's home

You know outside of characterization, what's another reason for you liking the Archie continuity? For me it's the expansion of Sonic's world in either something exclusive to the world or a new spin taken from the games, like yes the games do sometimes give us that world building but Archie Sonic has its own identity and for that I like how it gives its own explanation for the blue blur's home
Mostly I like Archie for actually developing friendships between characters and giving us team ups as well as scenarios/fights that'll NEVER happen in the games:

*Amy teaming up with Knux to help him collect the last of the Master Emerald pieces and Amy making Knux realise that she, Sonic, Tails and the other freedom fighters truly do care about Knux wellbeing as well as seeing him as a trusted friend. This encouragement is what allows Knux to break free from Ixis crystals (and save everyone else) later on in the storyline while also establishing Amy as the 4th member of team Sonic (while also having own team ofc).

Plus some of the match ups were epic:

*Knux Vs Shadow, to decide the fate of the Master Emerald.

*Sonic Vs Super Scourge, which shows off Sonic's cunning side.

*Silver Vs (Dark Mobius) Enerjak, a fitting display of Silver's true potential.

*The whole of Treasure Team Tango, sometimes you just need a good old FFA.

And more...

It's a shame there's still plenty of folks blinded by argument from incredulity that refuse to accept that Sonic games can tell meaningful stories and Sega (somewhat) listens to them.

It's a shame there's still plenty of folks blinded by argument from incredulity that refuse to accept that Sonic games can tell meaningful stories and Sega (somewhat) listens to them.
You know what makes that sadder? It's that most of us aren't asking for the days of trying too hard like Shadow The Hedgehog or 06, but I think we all can agree that another Unleashed/Adventure 1 and 2 plot would do wonders to the horrible characterization that is known as the meta era, especially giving Shadow some needed fluff after he's now been an edgy asshole

You know what makes that sadder? It's that most of us aren't asking for the days of trying too hard like Shadow The Hedgehog or 06, but I think we all can agree that another Unleashed/Adventure 1 and 2 plot would do wonders to the horrible characterization that is known as the meta era, especially giving Shadow some needed fluff after he's now been an edgy asshole
Which is ironic considering 06 was the last time Shadow's character was done justice while still having a big role in the plot of a major game. It doesn't help Sega US are still playing it "safe" and continue to water down the stories during localization (Sonic Colors JP and TSR JP might as well be completely different games compared to their localized versions).

I actually just looked up the cutscenes of Sonic Colors with the Japanese script and dub in place and one I noticed is that while it is lighthearted the script seems to know how these characters are written.
Like, you know how in Colors and especially in Lost World Tails starts doing these scientific mumbo jumbo comments to show off his intelligence? In Japanese he gives simple explanations which are scientifically complex but not overboard, it's insane to think that Pontac of all people made Tails arrogant

I actually just looked up the cutscenes of Sonic Colors with the Japanese script and dub in place and one I noticed is that while it is lighthearted the script seems to know how these characters are written.
Like, you know how in Colors and especially in Lost World Tails starts doing these scientific mumbo jumbo comments to show off his intelligence? In Japanese he gives simple explanations which are scientifically complex but not overboard, it's insane to think that Pontac of all people made Tails arrogant
Oof... when you put it like that, Forces only makes Tails worse. From arrogant to cowardly (Tails is literally developing backwards perhaps in Sonic Rangers he'll be playable but lack the ability to fly just like in Sonic 2? lol!).

I still don't get it on a narrative level, why was Tails afraid of Chaos-0 when in his story he defeated Chaos after the later had absorbed 4 Chaos Emeralds? It's ridiculous unless somehow Infinite amped up Chaos beyond even Perfect Chaos
PIS/CIS I guess? Tails total reliance on Sonic is literally an insult to his character arc in the Sonic Adventure games

Though to be fair the Chaos they fought wasn't the actual Chaos. And Classic Sonic defeats him too...

Back