• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some undertale magical attacks and low tier revisions:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magical attacks and how they are treat

So there is an issue with how magic attacks in undertale are treat, in that due to them being magical attacks representing their rl counterparts, they magic attacks should not follow same properties as they can be considered as fake cartoonish projectiles which may have been due to my arguments downgrading the verse. While this can be true to some extent, this is not entirely what I was going for.

While many magical attacks based on elements such as fire, insects etc are magical. They are presented to be such that they both look and act like their real life counterparts. As a result, it makes far more sense to say they would be closely similar, if not the same as their real life representations.

There is no reason to assume these attacks are all fake or lack the properties of their real life aspects on the sole basis that they are magical, and should only be treat as such if they are incredibly different to their rl counterparts or it is contradictory. This applies to any verse that uses magic in that magic is normally used as a way to utilise a certain element while retaining its properties in the form of an attack, such as casting your hands out and freezing or dousing someone in fire.

The main issue with vulkins lightning for instance is that it doesn't meet our cloud to ground standards for starters. As the lightning is just shot in frisks general direction which can either be downwards or upwards, and is arguably just vulkin shooting it straight forwards. But the main issue is it being nothing similar to real lightning, with the only similarity being a source which would produce lightning, with said source not being a true cloud or volcano. They function as individual half meter projectiles being shot at frisk directly, meaning it doesn't even flow or shoot similarly to real lightning. And in addition, frisk has been consistently unable to avoid base mettatons electricity, and actually gets electrocuted when they get hit by it. Then theres vulkins lightning being able to speed up, not even going a consistent speed. The lightning being the same speed as real lighting is extremely lacking and raises many inconsistencies.

In conclusion, an attack which is magical such as fire magic, lava magic, sound magic or explosion magic should not be assumed to lack the properties of its real life without good reasoning to go against said given property.

Now onto the changes

Speed upgrade
One of the more notable speed feats I see is greater dogs barking which apon inspection is completely useable. To assume the barks go at the speed of sound, you would need to assume that this is sound with magical properties which allow it to damage you and appear visible, or sound being used in the form of an attack. To assume it doesn't, you would require the assumption that the dog is firing out magical projectiles shaped as the word bark every time he barks.

From what ive seen, the former is the most logical choice. The only real contradiction to this being real sound is that it shoots out as a projectile. Which can be overrun by the fact that magic can simply allow it to form as a projectile attack, while still allowing it to retain its properties as sound magic (including its speed through the air). And before you say anything, yes, this argument would apply to vulkins lightning. But vulkins lightning has the other things listed above going against it being useable for speed and in addition, has nothing to support it being real lightning.

Greater dogs barks however directly comes from the source of something that can logically produce sound and does so with the action that creates real sound (making noise by barking) which at least gives some support for it being valid.

The projectiles being viewed as the word bark shows that the projectiles themselves are representation of the barks themselves, which is a sound. And do add on to that, the barking sound effect is silent, which is normally not the case when a dog barks as seen by other instances such as with lesser dog, we actually hear the bark (or see it in a speech bubble) meaning that the sound itself must have either be converted into something that isnt a normal soundwave, or just not exist to begin with. This along with the representation to back it up, gives a good indication that the barking sound itself is being converted into a sound magic attack due to the monsters ability. It should have similar properties and therefore have the same travel speed through the air with no contradictions.

The only way to argue otherwise is if you assume the dog, when you wake him up by moving, is simply throwing literal words saying bark at you while pretending to bark but remaining silent. Which based on everything said, is a rather unfounded assumption and requires much more speculation than going by the clear representation given to us of it being sound in attack form.

Additions to the monsters abilities
Based on this, monsters who fire attacks which qualify as a certain ability should be given said ability. Unless the attacks equating to said ability is of course contradicted or incredibly lacking.

Heat resistance
I believe the heat resistance was removed due to the hotlands not scaling to mettatons oven. Problem here is that the feat of the hotlands instantly evaporating a cup is actually around wall leve. Existing here is still a noteable heat resistance feat.

I remember Toriel being able to use fire magic for cooking, and ice based characters lead to a flavour text regarding temperature so I don't think there's ever been a direct contradiction for Magic summouns not having the same properties as their counterparts but far more supporting feats for it, so I support that change.

The speed upgrade seems slightly convuluted and doubtful, so I'm neutral on it.

Heat Resistance is agreeable

I agree with the speed upgrade. The problem with the lightning as you noted, is just that it doesn't fulfill the lightning speed standards, rejecting it doesn't mean discrediting other speed feats that come off of magical attacks being assumed to function the same as their IRL counterpart

I don't believe we act otherwise when it comes to giving abilities

I'm neutral on whether heat resistance needs to be noted, if it is notable enough sure, I just don't have a strong opinion on it

Do you think shyrens music can be scaled as well? I held it off out of uncertainty (mainly because i mistakingly thought her attacks vary in speed and not just attack rate). Her musical notes, when she shoots them at a slower rate do move left and right more than when she shoots them rapidly. However they seem to cross the dialogue box at the same time.

Though i think it moves across the screen at similar speeds to greater dogs barks anyway.

I don't have a problem. Considering you encourage Shyren to sing in that fight which is what prompts her to ramp up the music attacks, it is probably more supported by context than the bark anyway

You might be right. I suppose both could be calced then. Though i think both would come out as subsonic+ for frisk with that level of determination. With greater dog and shyren having transonic attack speed with barks and singing, i suppose papyrus and above could reach into the supersonic ranges at least in combat speed.

Read this post said:
i suppose papyrus and above could reach into the supersonic ranges at least in combat speed.
How? The other characters would go to transonic via scaling to Greater Dog and Shyren. There isn't really anything that would make them that much faster

Reason being that frisk gets faster with the more determination he has and other monsters contend. Monsters with higher attack normally have higher speed as a result with this. And in addition monsters attacks can vary in speed.

Unless you think there isn't good reason to assume that far greater monsters have attacks that move 1.1 times faster than greater dogs barks.

Does Frisk get faster? I only thought that increased determination allows them to come back after death, not become stronger/faster

Thats a part of what determination does. When something fills frisk with enough determination, it manifests and creates a save point. However it is also used to fight enemies who are way stronger than his normal self, which is why he is able to fight the likes of toriel with barely to almost no equipment on him. Speed increases as well. Frisks determination also normally scales to the opponents attack, though this may also vary.

Now that i think about it. It actually makes no sense to give papyrus supersonic or heck even transonic. Woshua has lower attack than shyren and yet next to aaron who is higher than papyrus, is able to attack faster than aaron. And frisk when fighting greater dog im pretty sure would only be calced as subsonic+.

All the monsters in the waterfall are pretty much outright the same level with slight differences (except undyne and possibly mad dummy). Frisk when fighting them would still have similar determination as when he fought shyren and greater dog as a result.

Could mad dummies missiles be considered as supersonic in speed?

Well. The way im seeing it. Frisk probably gets a major speed increase from his minimal determination self, and then makes a slow linear progression from there.

Based on that, im not sure if it is safe to really scale anyone directly to or above shyrens music or greater dogs barking except maybe the likes of undyne?

@crimsom azoth You mind calcing frisks speed compared to greater dog and shyrens?

So uh

I just had a go at calculating the Greater Dog thing (will do Shyren later)

And I found that Frisk is significantly slower than the bark

Unless I made a drastic mistake, the Greater Dog feat puts Frisk at 108.9 m/s, or about mid-range Subsonic. They only dodge the attack via being a fair way away from it

Oh. When I did a rough calc I got baseline subsonic plus. Maybe shyrens could be a bit better.

Although now that I think about it. Frisk moves slower than a lot of monsters attacks

Shyrens is a little weird. Her sound doesn't move at a consistent speed I think. As it goes on. I think they get faster (correct me if I'm wrong)

You're correct. Shyren's sound speeds up the more you hum with her.

I actually came here because of that. I don't think we can consider Shyren's song at the speed of sound

Ahh. I thought so. So probably dagger not to use. Does the greater dogs bark work though? Still would be a pretty decent speed buff if that's fine at the very least.

Im not sure about that. Are you sure there was no delay in the movement or anything? He was pretty close to the borders as well and did move a short distance. I used this at 60fps (i think higher framerate gives more accurate result?), and ran it through 30 frames (1:22:79 to 1:23:29) and got these measurements below using paint (Used pythagoras to measure the sound distance as well from 57 x 163 px). Which as i calculated before in my spare time, just reaches into subsonic+.

Gdsoundmovement

@crimsom azathoth Did you try it using the timeframe I gave in the video here? Because in that half a second from 1:22:79 to 1:23:29, frisk traveled more than half the distance the dogs barks did. (Thats 30 frames when ran at 60fps)

@Sean Considering that it wasn't even accepted as real solar flares before the lightning was rejected, I doubt it would be now. It really doesnt have much going for it being real and has quite a few contradictions. I think the barks are a better reference.

While im here i might as well go over the scaling (going by the subsonic+ value)

Snowdin monsters and napstablook: Subsonic+. They should likely be comparable to the likes of greater dog.

Greater dog: Subsonic+, Transonic with barks

Papyrus: Transonic Gives undyne a tough fight. Superior to greater dog.

Waterfall monster encounters: Subsonic+ Aaron and moldbyggs attacks move noteably slower than woshuas

Shyren: At least Subsonic+ likely Transonic. Utilises sound magic which travels about as fast as greater dogs (supporting feat). Should be comparable to papyrus.

Mad dummy: Subsonic+ utilises missiles which should go these speeds. Said missiles travel the same speed as frisks soul.

Hotlands and core monsters: Either Subsonic+ or Transonic

Undyne: Supersonic Scaling to a frisk with much higher determination, utilises attacks which go much faster than other monsters and can speed up as well.

Mettaton ex: Same as undyne.

Asgore: Supersonic Scales above undyne. His triden should go at these speeds. Toriel scales too.

Sans: Supersonic attack speed. Maybe Supersonic+ reactions? (im still not sure if reacting to someone casually with the impossibility of being hit even while sleeping would render this)

Most monsters have their speed listed as combat speed since their running normally doesnt scale as well.

There may be an argument for Sans having FTL reactions for that teleporting feat in Snowdin, but that's a discussion for another day.

Tentative agree with the rest, though I'm still happier with keeping everyone at Subsonic instead of scaling them all the way up to Supersonic.

Also mate, if nobody's accepted the Subsonic+ value, we'll have to go with my Subsonic value

when in doubt, wank like hell<s/>

Don't take that as gospel, discussion for another day. Still evidence-mining and argument-constructing. We shouldn't derail

Currently my end. Read this post's calculation has not been accepted.

I would still feel more comfortable with an administrator or bureaucrat being aware of this before we make large sweeping changes to one of the most popular verses on this wiki.

I mean nobody has commented on my blog at all yet. I suppose I could violently harass an admin or calc member to comment on it in a bit.

For the ftl thing. Isn't teleportation instantaneous anyway? Unless he teleported somewhere and then away in a time that would equate to ftl reactions. Interested where you got that from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back