• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some confusion over Dark Souls 3 scaling

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
I'll try and keep this quick, since I have a tendency to seem like I'm rambling with these kinds of matters and I'm probably just confused about something.

So, with Dark Souls 3. The scaling for the Ashen One seems... completely bizarre to me.

For example, in their mid-game keys. They are considered to be 6-B via scaling to the Nameless King. This doesn't seem unusual to me at first, but it's dubious due to characters like the Abyss Watchers and other Lords of Cinder. These Lords of Cinder are all considered to be 4-C, and physically speaking, it's actually 100% impossible in-game to fight the Nameless King without having at least fought the Abyss Watchers. If you really break the progression in likely non-canon ways you can fight the Nameless King without taking on any of the other Lords of Cinder, but the Abyss Watchers are 100% unskippable and take place at a part of the game you could even argue would be "early-game".

So... what's going on here? According to the profiles, the Ashen One when he was 6-B at best beat the Abyss Watchers, who are considered to be 4-C. And they are scaled from the Nameless King, who's fought far after the Abyss Watchers.

I'm probably missing something big here. But I can't see any reason the Ashen One wouldn't scale to the Abyss Watchers. What's going on?

This is obvious to anyone who's played the games, but Dark Souls scaling is pretty wonky here.

For example: Manus is rated at 6-B, while Bearer of the Curse at end-of-game is rated as 4-C.

Even though Nashandra, the final boss of Dark Souls II, is canonically a very small fragment of Manus.

I think the reasoning is that if you scale other Dark Souls games like this (In terms of when you can fight the boss) Things get even wonkier.

I could be wrong though.

Bearer of the curse is rated 4-C at the literal very end of the game for inheriting the first flame.

Bearer of the curse isn't 4-C when fighting Manus. (Scaling everyone that can damage the protag based on his power achieved at the literall end of the game wouldn't make sense either)

I've asked this before and basically i got boiled down was.

game mechanics, the bosses are as strong as lore paints them.

Then what about the protagonists? How do we decide that, say, the Ashen One is comparable to the Nameless King instead of the Abyss Watchers?

I think the gist is that abyss watchers being that early is an outlier for the time but not so much later.

Though, given the state of the first flame in DS3, I honestly think it's kinda presumptuous to say that the LoCs are tier 4 at present at all. The fire is dying and can barely sustain itself, ressurecting things with the power that it desperately needs seems nonsensical.

I remember this being discussed in various Dark Souls threads. Essentially the order in which the bosses can be fought cannot be used to scale the characters. What makes it confusing is the way we key the characters in temrs of 'Early mid game late game' etc. If everyone is scaled to the protag based on when they are fought you get circular scaling I think. It is very specifically confusng in DS3 as well due to how many Lords of Cinder there are who have inherited the first flame previously. Generally there is only one boss fought with the power of the first flame. Except in DS3 there is 4-5 characters.

Wokistan said:
Though, given the state of the first flame in DS3, I honestly think it's kinda presumptuous to say that the LoCs are tier 4 at present at all. The fire is dying and can barely sustain itself, ressurecting things with the power that it desperately needs seems nonsensical.
It's still able to mantain the sun in existance, which is why Lord of Cinders are 4-C

Back