• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should there be a page for all the powers and abilities of this wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creating a properly structured VSBW page that lists all of our powers and abilities pages.

I think ImmortalDread has this already, least I can do is check if there's any missing powers knowing that there are new ones in VSB

Maybe if ImmortalDread lets me edit the draft she has

I think ImmortalDread has this already, least I can do is check if there's any missing powers knowing that there are new ones in VSB

Maybe if ImmortalDread lets me edit the draft she has
I wasn't aware that we have a draft page for this purpose already. Can you link to it please?

Thank you. 🙏

In theory it looks pretty good, but the organisation of the abilities can likely be greatly improved. For example, I do not think that it seems appropriate to lump together Aura, Blessed, Multiple Selves, or even Resistance with purely physical characteristics.

@ImmortalDread

I will check it.

I know it's deteriorating, it's a lot of abilities and ya. Likewise, I will do some work on it right now. Thanks for helping out!

Wdym by versions? If that's the one where I separated my version and Bob's it's because it froze my computer everytime I source edit the page, so I divided it into sections that wouldn't freeze my computer from the sheer amount of content in the page. I don't plan on separating anything now

Btw was the consensus just making a big list of powers listed alphabetically instead of just categorising them? I just learned that after reading the previous pages

I also tried adding missing powers like plasma manip, animal manip, etc.

Pretty much there are missing abilities, ya.

Wdym by versions? If that's the one where I separated my version and Bob's it's because it froze my computer everytime I source edit the page, so I divided it into sections that wouldn't freeze my computer from the sheer amount of content in the page. I don't plan on separating anything now
Alright, that's good. Since the final draft should be a complete without separation.

Complete with no separations? I recall that was dismissed before to begin with as the category page already did exactly that, even ordering it alphabetically too.

No separation in the context of "Bob's part / ec's part" in the draft.

Last edited:
It may be better to not overcomplicate this task in a very subjective manner by simply listing these power pages alphabetically instead, yes.

Well well, I talked with fandom owners and some support, and they heard our idea from the first glance, and they offered me to use DPL or sort key

Okay, that is good then. Does sort key work automatically for our wiki, or do we need to install some plugin first?

Nope, it is automatically, to simply put

When you use a category or a template, you use | to add a “name” (template functions differently, since you need to add a parameter, but the category works without adding anything)

But also I need to learn how to use DPL combining with it. Maybe it became interesting, because I want the new abilities to be automatically landed on “Others”, so we can later move it to their appropriate section.

For now, let's sort them all to their sections, before we will be concerned on how to do this all.

Also, other alternative solution for me, which is always practical, is to create those sections as “category”, and create a “general categories”, and simply add the categories there.

A bit practical and easy.

It was agreed on by the staff after some discussion in the previous page of this thread that listing them alphabetically would be unecessary with the category already doing exactly that, see from this post onwards for more information.

Well, maybe we can list the main powers alphabetically, add their sub-powers (such as Time Stop to Time Manipulation) below each of them via bullet points, and also add brief description texts for all of them? I think that seems like a good solution.

@Bobsican

Alphabetically or not, this is low priority, we still need to list all abilities and put them all in their sections. This is more essential. Also, I don't recall it being rejected, rather it is still not that important to focus on.

Also, I won't say “rejected” when only one admin is a bit unsure about it.

@Bobsican

Alphabetically or not, this is low priority, we still need to list all abilities and put them all in their sections. This is more essential. Also, I don't recall it being rejected, rather it is still not that important to focus on.

Also, I won't say “rejected” when only one admin is a bit unsure about it.
What's on low priority? This proyect, or merely indexing them alphabetically? Strictly speaking if we exclusively want an alphabetic list of all P&As on the site, and that is already covered by the category, then we may not need a new page at all to begin with.

Eh, cleary you only read about a post or two, multiple staffs agreed on it being unecessary in this manner, the rest didn't objection either and moved on based on this limitation.

Well, maybe we can list the main powers alphabetically, add their sub-powers (such as Time Stop to Time Manipulation) below each of them via bullet points, and also add brief description texts for all of them? I think that seems like a good solution.
I'm more neutral to that, as cases like Mind Manipulation and Status Effect Inducement could potentially benefit from this, but given the above I'd think it'd be best to ask multiple staff members to consider this alternative.

What's on low priority? This proyect, or merely indexing them alphabetically? Strictly speaking if we exclusively want an alphabetic list of all P&As on the site, and that is already covered by the category, then we may not need a new page at all to begin with.
This project is not simply “alphabetic list of all P&As on the site”, I have no clue how did you end up in this conclusion.

The project is on doing a page that lists all P&As on the site, and if we are going to just redundantly do the exact same format as the category (aka, alphabetically), then I have to question if this'd be really worth doing in the first place out of redundancy.

I suppose that Bobsican likely has a good point here.

The project is on doing a page that lists all P&As on the site, and if we are going to just redundantly do the exact same format as the category (aka, alphabetically), then I have to question if this'd be really worth doing in the first place out of redundancy.
I may understand your viewpoint, but I think having a page that introduces the abilities and powers in a structural list order in the same category page will remove redundancy out of question.

You may be confused, but we are not planning on creating a new page, but we are replacing it in the category page.

We are not removing it, we are replacing it. Unless you want it as an additional page, then I don't mind it. I mean the difference between this project and the category is the former will be well-structured index and the other one is simply alphabetical order.

Obviously, the page will be replaced not like any replacement, it will still function as category, simply with additional sections like I explained above with sort keys.

To simply put -------> alphabetical list order will be replaced with this project (sections)

I am still not quite sure exactly what you have in mind or why it is strictly necessary.
I mean, regarding its strict necessity, I would say it's not that high priority. Also, looking from the other viewpoint, I can concur with Bob's point.

It is simply that most of the people here who commented as far liked the idea.
But looking from it, I think the idea was to add this in a new section called “Guidelines” as a new page, so ya never mind my previous idea with replacing it in the category page. Apologies

Main reason I think a category is better if we're fine with just alphabetical order (Which it already covers), is because the category is far easier to update as basically every new P&A almost inherently gets added out of indexing standards on the site. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I don't think that's a legitimate reason, the category is always automatically updated, alphabetically or structured as mines.

If you are not following the discussion, perhaps you may ask, but I already stated above, how my proposal exactly works.

How did we actually do that? We really moved from:
  • “the idea looks good” from multiple users and staff members (agreements)
  • ---> you created the draft and the other user
  • ---> Ant liked the idea and appreciated our work
  • ---> I fixed the entire section
  • ---> till we are discussing its practicality and necessity?
We already agreed the idea is fine to set (even if it was not that high priority); if you don't to replace it with the category, sure, but we still can add it under guidelines as a structural index as we previously agreed on.

I don't recall the project being rejected, because you would not process it neither I would (which the sole reason I will finish the project)

Edit: Now that I have re-read the entire discussion, none actually oppose it, and you are the only one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back