• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should Creepypasta and Creepypasta-derived media be allowed in our site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tllmbrg

VS Battles
Content Moderator
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Slender_Mythos (Baring Marble Hornet and the Sony films)
Should this be allowed?

@Agnaa complained to me that no since they are basically fanfic of copyrighted media thus should be deleted

Last edited:
@Agnaa complained to me that no since they are basically fanfic of copyrighted media thus should be deleted
Yeah. I can't think of a way to consistently allow them that doesn't also allow a large amount of fanfics.

The only exception would be if you could find the original creator of a creepypasta, and then look at which other creations they've explicitly allowed, but due to the nature of creepypastas being anonymously copied, pasted, and edited until they finally blow up, I don't think this is very feasible in the vast majority of cases, and any where we can actually find an original creator should be allowed, but be thought of as an exception, rather than as reason to allow all creepypastas.

(Also, shouldn't this be in the staff discussion subforum?)

In general I think creepypasta material tends to be low-effort and lacking in "canon" compared to a full production like Marble Hornets, and as pointed out above a lot of them are no different than fanfics. It's basically like the Backrooms topic that came up recently though I can't remember if it was decided to allow that verse or not on the wiki.

I would not be opposed to their removal.

In general I think creepypasta material tends to be low-effort and lacking in "canon" compared to a full production like Marble Hornets, and as pointed out above a lot of them are no different than fanfics. It's basically like the Backrooms topic that came up recently though I can't remember if it was decided to allow that verse or not on the wiki.

I would not be opposed to their removal.
We decided to not allow the wikidot Backrooms for now, but that may change if their standards become more rigorous. And we decided to allow Backrooms profiles that aren't collaborative writing projects.

Since you seem to be okay with Marble Hornets, would you be okay with allowing something like Dragon Ball Z Abridged or Sword Art Online Abridged? Those are also full productions and have far more views than Marble Hornets.

Since you seem to be okay with Marble Hornets, would you be okay with allowing something like Dragon Ball Z Abridged or Sword Art Online Abridged? Those are also full productions and have far more views than Marble Hornets.
If it was up to me personally, I would allow something like Dragon Ball Z Abridged. I'm aware that could be hypocritical if a parody dubbing / edit of the original series is considered to be just a fanfic but if it was just up to me alone, I'd probably make an exception for it.

We allow Red vs. Blue which is a lot more original than an Abridged series but could still be seen as having its roots as a "Halo fanfic".

Yeah I'm neutral on where exactly the line is drawn, as long as it's consistent. I'd be fine with allowing DBZA and Marbel Hornets, and I'd also be fine with not allowing either.

EDIT: As far as I know, RvB eventually got permission from and collaborated with the Halo developers, or something like that which gave them official permission, or maybe even retconned out the references to Halo and got an original setting which I think makes it a different case.

I definitely do not want us to host unofficial fan-produced derivatives in our main wiki, only official and notable material.

Oh okay, I misunderstood. If it is legitimately completely original, then yeah it's fine.

We could just say that creepypasta and similar content such as Backrooms is more suitable for the FC/OC VS Battles wiki.

Might as well throw SCP and RPC into the mix as well.
SCP and RPC are allowed as they have a main source of canon. SCP started on 4chan but the writers moved their stories over to the scp wiki and it evolved from there. RPC was started wholecloth on wikidot due to members being disgruntled with the main wiki's standards and wanting to create something different.

However, SCP fangames and fanfiction, even high-quality popular ones, are only allowed on fc-oc wiki, if they're not directly linked to the main scp wiki.

SCP and RPC are allowed as they have a main source of canon. SCP started on 4chan but the writers moved their stories over to the scp wiki and it evolved from there. RPC was started wholecloth on wikidot due to members being disgruntled with the main wiki's standards and wanting to create something different.

However, SCP fangames and fanfiction, even high-quality popular ones, are only allowed on fc-oc wiki, if they're not directly linked to the main scp wiki.
Eh fair enough, but technically creepypasta origins are a huge sloppy mess with no known main Canon while the Backrooms has a distinguishable Canon tho which is the main one is still being contested.

Eh fair enough, but technically creepypasta is a huge sloppy mess with no known main Canon while the Backrooms has a distinguishable Canon tho which is the main one is still being contested.
Backrooms is being contested for a few reasons. Some people see it as inconsistent, some people see its rules as not strict enough compared to SCP/RPC, and some think it doesn't have a distinguishable outstanding canon like SCP/RPC has, due to there being multiple competing wikis.

Backrooms is being contested for a few reasons. Some people see it as inconsistent, some people see its rules as not strict enough compared to SCP/RPC, and some think it doesn't have a distinguishable outstanding canon like SCP/RPC has, due to there being multiple competing wikis.
The first one is still unconfirmed.
The second one was rebuttaled against in the previous thread.
The third one is minor inconvenience. Fandom is easily knocked out of the competition leaving only Liminal Archives and Wikidot Backrooms. Which is a RPC and SCP situation.

The first one is still unconfirmed.
The second one was rebuttaled against in the previous thread.
The third one is minor inconvenience. Fandom is easily knocked out of the competition leaving only Liminal Archives and Wikidot Backrooms. Which is a RPC and SCP situation.
You can disagree with them, but those were the reasons given in the thread.

You can disagree with them, but those were the reasons given in the thread.
Yes, but I'm merely pointing out that these old points are...old. the second has been somewhat held back. The first one is very subjective. The third one is just minor pain in the nether region.

They aren't old, that thread finished just over two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they still represent people's opinions and reasons for not allowing things.

They aren't old, that thread finished just over two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they still represent people's opinions and reasons for not allowing things.
More like a month. It felt that way. You're not wrong about it representing people's opinions and reasons. But that doesn't apply to every single one of them. The people that agreed to those expired reasons were the same ones who wanted to burn SCP and RPC and anything like that off the face of the wiki.

That's not true, many of them seemed to just think that SCP/RPC was barely allowable, while the Backrooms went one step too far. That's a sentiment the OP and many other people in the thread expressed.

In general I think creepypasta material tends to be low-effort and lacking in "canon" compared to a full production like Marble Hornets, and as pointed out above a lot of them are no different than fanfics
If it was up to me personally, I would allow something like Dragon Ball Z Abridged. I'm aware that could be hypocritical if a parody dubbing / edit of the original series is considered to be just a fanfic but if it was just up to me alone, I'd probably make an exception for it.
If you acknowledge the hypocrisy, then perhaps it'd be better to re-evaluate your standards on the subject. I'd rather us remain consistent than appealing to individual tastes.

If you acknowledge the hypocrisy, then perhaps it'd be better to re-evaluate your standards on the subject. I'd rather us remain consistent than appealing to individual tastes.
I didn't say I would vote to allow it, or try to introduce the verse to the wiki. Just acknowledging my personal views on the matter. Fortunately it's not just up to me alone.

IMO it should be fine as long as the Creepypastas have a strict and easy-to-follow canon and doesn't fit the mold of fanfictions. Like, the original Jeff the Killer story might count but all the other "extra content" like Jane the Killer or whatever are FC/OC material.

Similarly, certain stories in r/NoSleep might count, a lot of horror web writers start there. For example, there is no need to worry about the Third Parent/Tommy Taffy stuff because it's just written by 1 writer AFAIK.

EDIT: Just noticed this was a staff thread, I apologize if this comment isn't allowed.

CreepyPasta is mostly shit posted videos with no real continuity, so I personally think getting rid of them is fine. It's not like Red Vs Blue where it has some graphics and art styles borrowed form Halo, but then later on has its own share of world building that basically makes it a lot different from the Halo series. I also would not allow any Abridged Animes since it's just the original animation with tweaked lip work via video editing and fan voice actors adding their own dialogue and it just basically makes fun of every scene from the original animes.

Though, I don't mind if there are a few exceptions that actually do have episodes and original story, prioritize original characters, and have an original setting. I'm not knowledgeable on the Jeff the Killer series, but some have voiced originality, but I'd avoid things like Sonic.EXE or the Mario CreepyPastas.

Last edited:
Yeah but if your bar is "they need to be high effort and have an original story", then a lotta fanfics like Tails Gets Trolled would be allowed.

I added consisting of original characters and having an original setting as other things added to criteria.

If the main character is just some bastardized parody of an already existing franchise, I'd avoid making it.

Tails Gets Trolled does have quite a few original characters (The Troll King, Demaro, Rob, Garry), and it has an original setting.

I wonder, is the actual threshold just whether or not something is in public domain yet?

Public domain or being officially vetted, I'd say.

Honestly, I have nothing against deleting the Jeff the Killer Saga. While sure, it does do the story of Jeff and other Creepypastas differently, its a series that not many people are aware of when compared to the popularity and influence of Marble Hornets or EverymanHYBRID, which effectively made an impact on the internet and has a more unique and original story and characters going for it. (Not including TribeTwelve because its creator is a predator and such series is something the ARG and Slenderman communities wants to forget about, but that also shares the same qualities as MH and EMH, even if it began as a MH knock-off in earlier episodes)

Honestly, I have nothing against deleting the Jeff the Killer Saga. While sure, it does do the story of Jeff and other Creepypastas differently, its a series that not many people are aware of when compared to the popularity and influence of Marble Hornets or EverymanHYBRID, which effectively made an impact on the internet and has a more unique and original story and characters going for it. (Not including TribeTwelve because its creator is a predator and such series is something the ARG and Slenderman communities wants to forget about, but that also shares the same qualities as MH and EMH, even if it began as a MH knock-off in earlier episodes)
Now, don’t get me wrong, my argument isn’t that its not popular enough to be on the wiki, but rather its not a series that’s generally recognisable on this wiki specifically. If it had enough supporters, then sure, I’d probably have no problem with it besides maybe some of the fan fiction its creator includes within the series.

I am aware of the fact I am not a staff member, but we literally have a website in the public domain called fanfiction.net IIRC.
Also just add onto to this point, here is a official backed up source too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back