• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shaking The Earth Reloaded

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
This calculation is currently Small Country level, but it assumes the radius of the earthquake is half the circumference of the planet.

That's not how it'd work, though, because earthquakes/quakes (unless stated otherwise) travel radially from a centre point (presumably because that's just how conservation of ******* energy works) as per the inverse-square law, so the energy would be travelling through matter rather than somehow circumnavigating the planet through even more matter. The longest possible distance for the radiated energy, in that case, can only be a maximum of 12,742 km.

I'd show a diagram or something, but idk how to make gifs.

Keep in mind, this is for a quake (or merely just radiated waves) with or without any tectonic movement involved, and it'd technically apply to other calculations with distances surpassing 12,742 km.

(4)+6.399+1.66×log((12,742÷110)×((2×π)÷360)) = 10.9064989901

10^(1.5*(10.9064989901)+4.8) = 1.4446029e+21 J, or 345.26838176 gigatons (Large Island level)

Last edited:
There's a better way to do this.

Good old KE using Intensity Intensity scale and using that to get velocity via the Mercalli scale. Intensity V (Felt by Nearly Everyone), so the lowest speed is 4.65 cm/s or 0.0465 m/s.

Mass of Earth being 5.972e+24 kg...

KE: 0.5 * 5.972e+24 * 0.0465^2 = 6.4564785e+21 J or 1.54313539675 teratons of TNT (Small Country level)

LOL, actually higher than what we have right now.

This formula works for literally any kind of celestial body, it's how we calc'd shaking the Moon because it has no tectonic plates.

Good old KE using Intensity Intensity scale and using that to get velocity via the Mercalli scale. Intensity V (Felt by Nearly Everyone), so the lowest speed is 4.65 cm/s or 0.0465 m/s.

KE: 0.5 * 5.972e+24 * 0.0465^2 = 6.4564785e+21 J or 1.54313539675 teratons of TNT (Small Country level)

This formula works for literally any kind of celestial body, it's how we calc'd shaking the Moon because it has no tectonic plates.
I'm all for updating the current calc with this new version

However doesn't this mean that the entire earthquake calculations page needs to be updated using this method as a new base?

@Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @DemonGodMitchAubin @Migue79 @CloverDragon03 @Aguywhodoesthings @Dalesean027 @DMUA @Armorchompy @Therefir @Mr._Bambu @Psychomaster35 @TheRustyOne @DemiiPowa @DontTalkDT @Executor_N0 What do you think of this new version?

Nah, they won't be affected, those require vastly different formulae.
I saw DT use DMUA's global earthquake block for calc'ing energy yielding of shaking a galaxy. So, its possible some calcs could be affected?

This is why i asked lol

Also because there is a character that shakes the Galaxy that i need to calc but im too lazy and doing other things for that verse atm

I saw DT use DMUA's global earthquake block for calc'ing energy yielding of shaking a galaxy. So, its possible some calcs could be affected?

This is why i asked lol

Also because there is a character that shakes the Galaxy that i need to calc but im too lazy and doing other things for that verse atm
Nah, just that the Earth value there gets swapped with the new one, since that one is still using the good-old-fashioned inverse-square law but reversed LMAO

Bump

@Dark-Carioca @DemonGodMitchAubin @CloverDragon03 @Aguywhodoesthings @Dalesean027 @DMUA @Armorchompy @Therefir @Mr._Bambu @Psychomaster35 @TheRustyOne @DemiiPowa @DontTalkDT @Executor_N0 Would you be able to evaluate this?

@DemonGodMitchAubin @CloverDragon03 @Aguywhodoesthings @Armorchompy @Therefir @Mr._Bambu @Psychomaster35 @TheRustyOne @DemiiPowa @DontTalkDT @Executor_N0 Pls evaluate ;-;

This should be fine.

Problem is that we use magnitude 4 for shacking the earth feats (or at least, the particular one linked in the references for common feats. We also have the earthquake table). So the speed would be 1.41 cm/s = 0.0141 m/s.

0.0141^2*0.5*5.97219*10^24 = 5.9366554695e20 J which is smaller than our current value.

(Btw. OP is wrong, because the formula actually takes earth curvature into account)

Problem is that we use magnitude 4 for shacking the earth feats (or at least, the particular one linked in the references for common feats. We also have the earthquake table). So the speed would be 1.41 cm/s = 0.0141 m/s.

0.0141^2*0.5*5.97219*10^24 = 5.9366554695e20 J which is smaller than our current value.
I see.

(Btw. OP is wrong, because the formula actually takes earth curvature into account)
Does it now? What do you propose we do then?

Magnitude 4 is pretty low considering what most of these feats look like. I think we should definitely add KLOL's calc as a high end for more impressive shaking.

Magnitude 4 is pretty low considering what most of these feats look like. I think we should definitely add KLOL's calc as a high end for more impressive shaking.
My calc is literally the same value as the current one, maybe half a teraton higher.

Though you can still use the method for other celestial objects that have no tectonic plates.

Nothing. The calc is fine as it is.
Welp. I tried.

Magnitude 4 from a distance was agreed to be the safe low-end for the Earthquake simply being felt across the globe. But I know some characters such as Yu Yu Hakusho's Shinobu Sensui as well as the Elders from Elder Scrolls who basically, "Shake the entire world so hard it flattens the surface and wipes out all life on the planet". Which I while back some have said that would be at least Magnitude 6 from a distance and get Continent level results, but I recall KLOL mentioning on another thread Magnitude 7 from a distance and getting High 6-A seems more accurate for those types of feats.

Magnitude 4 from a distance was agreed to be the safe low-end for the Earthquake simply being felt across the globe. But I know some characters such as Yu Yu Hakusho's Shinobu Sensui as well as the Elders from Elder Scrolls who basically, "Shake the entire world so hard it flattens the surface and wipes out all life on the planet". Which I while back some have said that would be at least Magnitude 6 from a distance and get Continent level results, but I recall KLOL mentioning on another thread Magnitude 7 from a distance and getting High 6-A seems more accurate for those types of feats.
Depends really, on the amount of devastation caused, but if it's there, go ham.

Back