• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sergio Bonelli Comics Discussion Thread

That was great!

I was frankly expecting a significantly lower end, so even if it doesn't really change his LS (Next update to Zagor's profile will make him Class 1), it is nice to have a good measurement.

No problem, you could argue it's a superhuman feat since he lifted it overhead while the world record which used a barely bigger atlas stone only went to chest height.

Also, what are the two's names, just so I don't have to call them "dude" and "dudette" for the whole calc

Dude and Dudette are their actual names, how did you know?

They technically are shapeshifting aliens, but that appearance is loosely modeled on an Irish man for Mordha and a Welsh woman for Amber.

Yes, it's a rock.

Is it actually a menhir? Since its top part is off-screen I can use that for height

It's not an actual one, even because it was put there around the IV-V century.

I called it menhir because it resembles one, as a large and vertical rock.

Ah, unfortunate. Is it explicitly compared to that in the story or anything? Probably not but worth asking.

cqLjaO0.jpg

You know, Dampyr profiles will most likely be the only ones to mention Covid-19, within the reasons why some characters resists diseases (it and others)

This is what I was talking about some months ago about them explaining what happens on Earth-Dampyr.

The shortened translation of the relevant parts is:

Harlan almost didn't notice Covid-19. From Stockolm he was drifted in some parallel dimensions and lost three months. (about march to june) Time goes faster in our world. When he returned from Sweden, Tesla (the vampire woman) put him in quarantine for some days. Not that she or Caleb (their alien-angel ally) could get sick, but Kurjak (the only true human of the group), who starts getting old and has recovered from lung cancer, spent the whole lockdown inside the Theatre of the Lost Footsteps (their HQ) (...) As expected, they realized that Harlan is immune to the Coronavirus. Then they started again their activites, because there is no lockdown for the Masters of the Night!

yOLpeuA.jpeg

This is another (bad) scan where it is explained how the characters spend most of their free time inside and threater and how thet really appear in-verse, but they can't be drawn like this in the stories for obvious reasons. (Kurjak wears the "most protective mask" for the reasons mentioned in the other scan)

Ess3Kfw.jpg

That's funny. I don't think any other comic that I've read will mention COVID, maybe Dylan Dog and Martin Mystére, possibly Mister No, although I think Mister No is a few decades behind...

This because Dampyr Earth is supposed to be identical to ours, the flow of time, the year, the events etc. are the same of the real world, in fact there are several influences.

Like, the characters live in Prague and in 2002 there has been a huge flood, which the author had to bring in the series and there's part of a story about this.

Dylan Dog lives in a fictional Earth, it isn't necessary for him to experience Covid-19.

Mister No is set in the 50s, so that's another story.

Updated Zagor's profile, and very little has changed. I added Acrobatics, divided the profile's resistances and some feats. Most notably, those feats:
  • Peak Human movement speed: I've included a scan that he outruns a mob of people by a VERY large margin.
  • Enhanced Senses: One more very good explanation about his sxith sense, with Zagor explaining that his senses are born of hypersensibility by living in the woods for a very long time and needing to stay alert. Also, a great hearing feat: He hears a small rock moving a few centimeters from very far away, while nearly asleep and by a big, roaring campfire.
  • AP: I added him snapping a wooden pillar in half by throwing a man at it, and also a hatchet section. While it is obvious that someone armed is more dangerous than unarmed, Zagor seems especially so, he does feats such as breaking swords, thick iron locks and easily killing animals he'd otherwise struggle with.
  • Mind Resistance: Added another feat from resisting Kandrax, a very cool character I expect to make a profile after I go a while into Zagor's third series, by Record. Kandrax is an ancient celtic druid that was locked into a glass sarcophagus, and upon awakening (thanks to Chico and Digging Bill), he desires to rebuild the celtic nation amidst America, and for now, he is by far the most impressive being magic-wise and maybe hax-wise (which I know will change soon), with strong mind control, limited flight, astral projections, using lakes as crystal balls to see remote locations, necromancy, and some other things. Zagor's mind resistance is now quite good, I must say!
There are some other, minor additions. I'm studying some ways to make his profile better to see. I really dislike cramming stuff into the P&A section, but for now it'll suffice. I'll translate the new stuff sometime soon.

I'm also thinking of remaking Tex's profile soon, I've decided against using Tex Gold as a basis. While it is a very good abridgement of Tex's best stories, I dunno, I feel like I'd be missing out by classifying him only on that, and I scanned the Tex Gold series in an unsatisfactory way. Besides, it is far easier on my translation method to read the normal series first. Once I read 100-ish issues I'll be remaking it; not deleting the old feats, but gradually replacing them.

It's funny that I'm working so much on Zagor's profile and neglecting Tex's, I prefer Tex's stories in general by quite a large margin, lol

Damn, this profile's looking really good, and all from one dude, you rarely see this level of thorough-ness.

The new wiki version ruins all the good work, I really hate Fandom.

Btw, what can I say other than I admire your hard work and dedication? You really did a good job and Zagor's profile looks always better, and even your planning schedule is admirable.

Damn, this profile's looking really good, and all from one dude, you rarely see this level of thorough-ness.
Thanks man! As I said, I really like Bonelli's work, and personally, I believe that is is better to do very few, but very thorough profiles rather than a large amount of factually correct, but barebones profiles. Even if it means adding irrelevant feats or only generic statements, I believe that even very minor characters deserve a profile, as long as there is enough material - even if tangential - to make the profile.

The new wiki version ruins all the good work, I really hate Fandom.

Btw, what can I say other than I admire your hard work and dedication? You really did a good job and Zagor's profile looks always better, and even your planning schedule is admirable.
Yeah, it was a real hassle to edit some stuff. It isn't exactly Fandom's fault, at least I don't know a better way to do it, but oh man, the P&A section in almost any profile in the wiki hurts my eyes, especially when you go to Source Editing. Way too much text in a really awkward format. I wish there was a way to break up the profiles more, and adding tabbers isn't enough, as it still makes the visual clutter on source editing bad. But, oh well, can't complain much.

Awwe, thanks! I hope to do the same to other profiles. I'll try to scan some images from Zagor minor characters, like the one I mentioned previously that has some interesting feats. There was another one on the Captain Serpent arc that was only a one-issue character that gave Zagor one of the toughest fights yet, excellent martial arts, had good enough pressure points usage that he could KO Zagor in two hits, could cut jars in half with his strikes, soundly physically superior... I really love how even minor Bonelli characters can make interesting, VS-valid characters!

If you want to switch back to the old version you can do it from your preferences, go to appearance and select oasis, which is the old version.

I think the only other way to further break up the profiles is using feat lists, maybe using tabber even for them, so most of the showings and stuff don't clog up the P&A section.

Also, you're right on details, also because I think many characters could have more things if only people looked better to statements or other scenes and stuff from all kind of media, stuff that almost always is unnoticed.

And about that, the way you show the usage of pressure points on wrists or other stuff "combat related" made me pay more attention to the hands of the characters and I started to see some interesting things.
Like, today I was re-reading a Dampyr issue because the most recent one features the same villain, and I noticed how Harlan pushes the elbows of two undeads to block their attacks, draw the knife after losing the pistol and then kill them; all things I didn't notice before despite having read this two times.

The two lifting strength calcs have also been accepted

If you want to switch back to the old version you can do it from your preferences, go to appearance and select oasis, which is the old version.
I'll try that, thank you!
I think the only other way to further break up the profiles is using feat lists, maybe using tabber even for them, so most of the showings and stuff don't clog up the P&A section.
I was thinking of doing one of those, but I'll wait until I have a lot more material, so I can organise it better, putting only the best/most relevant stuff on the P&A (So, only one feat in most powers), and reserving the feats section to still good, but otherwise "inferior" stuff.

Also, you're right on details, also because I think many characters could have more things if only people looked better to statements or other scenes and stuff from all kind of media, stuff that almost always is unnoticed.
Yes, in fact, this thread helped a lot with it. So many things I didn't even consider as powers before made me realise, that, actually, those are genuine capabilities, not just fruit of occasion or something.
And about that, the way you show the usage of pressure points on wrists or other stuff "combat related" made me pay more attention to the hands of the characters and I started to see some interesting things.
Like, today I was re-reading a Dampyr issue because the most recent one features the same villain, and I noticed how Harlan pushes the elbows of two undeads to block their attacks, draw the knife after losing the pistol and then kill them; all things I didn't notice before despite having read this two times.
That's some great stuff and certainly worthy of adding! I really like how Bonelli includes real concepts and things from martial arts, even though the people described didn't formally train martial arts or that do not even have a name for said techniques, showing that they learnt those things by simply fighting so much that they pick up on those details. Judging on my experience alone in martial arts, for example, those Dampyr elbow blocks are very present in bujinkan and judo, and they are terribly effectiv0e, with the right set-up you can easily break someone's arm, even if the other person is considerably stronger than you. Without ever referencing to concepts, we can see characters doing things such as rolling with punches (I do not have the scan right now, but there was a fight in Tex scans where Kit Willer, Tex's son, fought a professional and extremely talented boxer. Despite explicitly being stated to not have any formal training, he has fought so much that he naturally rolls with the punches) and using the momentum of enemies to throw them (Zagor and Tex are really fond of doing that). Of course, many times they are exaggerated, but they have a strong basis in reality.

The two lifting strength calcs have also been accepted
That's neat. I'll add Zagor's own to his profile later.

That's some great stuff and certainly worthy of adding! I really like how Bonelli includes real concepts and things from martial arts, even though the people described didn't formally train martial arts or that do not even have a name for said techniques, showing that they learnt those things by simply fighting so much that they pick up on those details. Judging on my experience alone in martial arts, for example, those Dampyr elbow blocks are very present in bujinkan and judo, and they are terribly effectiv0e, with the right set-up you can easily break someone's arm, even if the other person is considerably stronger than you.
This is particularly meaningful and interesting, as those were undeads and indeed much stronger than Harlan, so him using those moves makes even more sense.

Harlan also always trained on his own (or at least with his two pards) and through experience, but there has been an issue where he was enrolled (against his will) in the top college of hell and attended military teaching and training, and after that his new skill has showed up many times and was also commented and acknowledge by many enemies, it's a cool thing.

For example, this is a fight sequence (which I completed with an additional scan, as it wasn't available online) and in the flashbacks we see his master teaching him what to do against a stronger opponent, which basically is to get a shield, make them come closer and believe to have the upper hand, and then finish them once they show an opening.

(the same master was actually a good, or rather neutral, guy and became a friend of Harlan and occasional ally in some missions)

I love how those things are included by Bonelli, it really makes a lot of sense. It's also cool see an element from Dampyr's story being included into his capacities, it is rare to see that happening to Zagor and Tex. (We do see them get more allies and ocasionally getting some resources, but not a direct change in character in capacities. It only happened to Tex once, when he had the 10-year timeskip)

That bit about using a shield and attacking by surprise echoes in some self-defense classes I had. In real life you can't really beat someone in close range with a knife, even if you also have one. If the other dude has a knife, you must assume you'll get cut or stabbed, and defending against a knife attack is the exception, not the rule. One of the methods to disencourage a weapon-using person was precisely to grab a nearby object and use it to make the person unable to hurt you, even if you couldn't use it as a weapon, such as a small seat, a trash can, whatever. So, the master's tip has an A-plus from me in realism!

That fight scene is awesome. Those knives wielded by the protagonist are made of some special material to instantly kill monsters? (Which reminds me that I should add two weaknesses to Rakosi: He is vulnerable and repulsed by holy things in general, to the point he can't even walk into a church even if there are no crosses nearby, and that he needs blood to sustain himself)

It's always interesting to read about your knowledge on this subject.

Dampyr has a strong continuity, so it's not strange to see events having consequences on characters even in the long run. Like, Kurjak was infected years ago with an alien parasite (an extension of Nyarlathotep, to give a definition) that granted him superpowers and resistances, but whenever this was to happen he used to lose control and become a danger or just not in control of himself, and straight up turn with the enemies if they were cultists of the Great Old Ones and so on.

But basically you can be sure that almost each issue would have consequences, or might be referenced in the future, either for direct sequels, or because something connects in a way or another to something in the future, even just raw experience.

About the weapons, I might have never talked about it, but Harlan's blood isn't just dangerous for vampires on itself, it can pass its properties to items it bathes, changing them to a molecular level (it was directly stated) for a limited time, which can be up to several months or more (not forever, though)

For this reason they always prepare bullets and knives before a mission, so that they are lethal for vampires, and it's not strange to see Harlan using stuff he finds around, from conventional weapons to shards of glass and wood, or use his own wounds to attack vampires by surprise and so on.
It's pretty common for Harlan to do something like this.

His blood has several other properties, but usually it melts the flesh of vampires like acid (undeads, masters of the night and other creatures spawned by them), sets them on fire through prolonged contact, blocks their regeneration and immortality, weakens them...
And it's not just his blood, all body liquids have that effect (yes, even that), although they are less effective than blood.

It's also the reason why vampires can neither try to suck his blood nor directly slaughter him with their brute force and claws, it would be instant death for them, they always have to resort to weapons, traps, help from other characters, breaking his bones or tossing him around without wounding him and so on or just flee.

Last edited:
Back